FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

irrepairable pc?

Vlien
Hello!

Is this possible? We brought our pc to a computer store to have it fixed, they would reinstall Windows XP, but a few days later they called us to say that they could not repair it anymore - since it was so over-infected with viruses. I must say, that was a total shock to me, I had never heard of viruses completely destroying computers. Is that really possible??

Vlien
bananaphone
mwm
Yeah, sounds like this place is yanking your chain. It is almost always possible to restore your PC to a running state as long as your hardware is not damaged. Even then you could replace the defective hardware if you so chose. Perhaps they were tying to tell you that they cannot fix your PC and maintain your data? Menaing they had to wipe the disk clean and start over...

-mwm
ddfreaks
or it could also be that they did't know really much about comuters and that theyjust wanted to reinstall windows.
in that case you should call a consument serves, becouse you are always able to repair your computer.
ocalhoun
They are probobly complete loosers, who don't have a boot disk capable of removing win XP.

You should be able to completely eradicate any virus in the world if you unplug your computer, discharge the capacitors in the power supply, and remove the cmos battery, and completely wipe the HD (write 0's to the entire drive, not just format or partition.)

If a virus has damaged harware you can just replace that hardware.
TheGeek
ten bucks says they effed you your machine while they were "fixing" it and are hoping you know jack about computers so they will get away with screwing your machine up.
zakpak23
yeah, a lot of places do that. Thats why before i sent my box in for repair i took pictures of every piece of hardware so i could tell if any severe damage was done, plus incase they tried to swap my hardware for cheaper stuff.
Donutey
yea, if they sell pc's too, thats also kind of a tip off theyre trying to mess with you...
steveadams617
Many metropolitan areas have job training programs for the youth or unemployed where they learn to rebuild computers. They might be able to do it for you PLUS you get to know you supported their programs.

It will be time consuming to do. You might also try listing it as a barter job on craigslist.com in your area in exchange for cookies or something.

You could also grab a book from the library and learn to re-install an operating system yourself. Then you can save all your friends computers.
izcool
Only very sophisticated viruses can affect the BIOS in motherboards and completely wipe a hard drive clean from being reformattable. I have heard that some places make sound like it's in worse condition than you expected to get a few more bucks from you. If you have a Best Buy in your area, I would check out The Geek Squad, since they're in almost every Best Buy store now.

- Mike.
toshlad
I used to work for a small PC repair company and I can confirm that this sort of extra money grabbing does go on.

In the past I have been told to tell a customer that a particular peice of kit is "un-repairable" due to it's age, a virus or anything just to make the company more money.

Needless to say, when I found this sort of thing happening on a regular basis I didn't stick around too long.

A virus can 99.9% of the time be removed. I would never say 100% as there is always an exception to the rule.

Go back to the company and ask why it can't be removed. Ask why they can't perform a low level format on the hard drive and then re-install XP?

Generally, if they know you're on to them by asking the right questions, they will back down and offer a repair. Be warned that because of this they might charge extra for the repair anyway to cover what they thought they might make out of you in the first place.

I'd do as above and take it to a well known comapny.

Hope this helps.
grantmaster
Get the system back, hook it all up again.

Then post back and report exactly what the system is doing.

Repair of Windows 2000, and Windows XP is really a pretty straightforward process.

If it doesn't power up at all then somebody at the shop made a critical error....
bananaphone
Naif
A virus is just a piece of software and like any other software, it can be removed. If an AV is unable to repair the infections caused by a virus, a format of the affected partition(s) should get rid of it. Where as if the virus has affected the master boot records, you can delete and recreate the partitions(or replacing the mbr with the fixmbr command should do the trick without the need of deleting the partition). The no. of viruses which can cause hardware, i.e. permanent damage are very few.
Arnie
First things first: get your computer back from that store. 99/100 they're lying or unprofessional.
hodgenpodg
You could probably fix it yourself with a simple tutorial I'm sure you could find online somewhere. Just gotta boot up with some sort of partitioning floppy disk program, reformat and then reinstall windows and even though you lose all your stuff on the plus side your computer will run like new again Very Happy
kam311
Yeah, very rare, probably not the issue. If it happened to be a virus that changed your bus speed settings, then it could damage the hardware, but chances are you need to find someone else to fix your PC.
Simulator
Yes it does happen, mainly with dells, my advice to you is to never buy one, it can be fixed, but you will have to replace all the parts in them, and you may as well buy a new computer.
Deji
there isnt such a thing as an "irrepairable pc" as at the very worst if maybe your HD has been badly damaged or something you can replace it

or if a very complex virus has done something to the bios you can flash it again / replace it.

its very difficult to kill and entire computer as there are always parts that can be salvaged.
angelthepimp
an ireparableble pc is technicly impossible, all computers are fixable unless you had a very suffisticated virus which also screwed up your cpu to not be able to reformat your hardrive but thats almost impossible
Hikaru
Technically the CPU/Harddrive/RAM have maximum achievable work loads on them right? So if just for the sake of arguement, a computer was overloaded with viruses, is it not possible that the CPU/HDD/RAM get overloaded and possibly receieve damage? I know for a fact that if HDDs are being read/written on way too fast they will receive hard ware damage. Just wondering. But anyway like what's been said, just replace parts and any PC is fixable.
Naif
"Technically the CPU/Harddrive/RAM have maximum achievable work loads on them right?"

Not really. When underload, they generate more heat than they do when they are in an idle state. Components like the processor, graphics card and the RAM can tolerate a given temperature. If the temperature exceeds to a state they cannot handle, they'll lead to a system crash.

I never heard or read about any virus which can cause an overload on the system components. Whereas they can increase the system load, eat up all the available memory resources and lead to a crash.

"I know for a fact that if HDDs are being read/written on way too fast they will receive hard ware damage."

I dont know anything about that so neither will I agree with it nor will I deny.
Jack_Hammer
Naif wrote:
"Technically the CPU/Harddrive/RAM have maximum achievable work loads on them right?"

Not really. When underload, they generate more heat than they do when they are in an idle state. Components like the processor, graphics card and the RAM can tolerate a given temperature. If the temperature exceeds to a state they cannot handle, they'll lead to a system crash.

I never heard or read about any virus which can cause an overload on the system components. Whereas they can increase the system load, eat up all the available memory resources and lead to a crash.

"I know for a fact that if HDDs are being read/written on way too fast they will receive hard ware damage."

I dont know anything about that so neither will I agree with it nor will I deny.

I know a couple of really bad viruses that either tell your hardware they arn't connected to each other (I suppose a bit like what would happen after an E.M.P) it will boot up and say it can't find the HDD (or anything else)

or another virus which will tell you that your computer is overheating and that the CPU fan is too small, either that or it will switch your CPU fan off.
Naif
Jack_Hammer: I would like to learn more about such viruses. Can you give me some names so that I can google for some info?
kam311
It is extremely rare for a virus to screw up a PC that completely. However, they could reinstall Windows as long as there has been no damage to the motherboard. Better yet, get someone else to do it.
Billwaa
I think you just need to recover the system using a recovering CD, or a factor master reset disc
technology.sponge
Sounds like ur PC stall is trying to trick/weasel you into buying a new pc from them. If the windwos xp and/or your files are infected, easiest way is to format the hard drive and reinstall windows. As yet, there are no viruses that are able to cause hardware damage (maybe overclokign viruses will become popular?).

If ur local PC store is that dodgy, i'd suggest taking ur pc sumwhere else
KHO
bananaphone wrote:
No - you just wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows.
You will lose all your files if they were not backed up, but not your hardware.

It is possible for a virus to damage hardware, but it is very very very! rare so thats probably not the problem

bananaphone

Unless you try and remove malware while windows is running Neutral that would fry some hardware real fast Neutral
vic_msn
Viruses cannot do any harm to your hardware,but definitely do a lot to your softwares.ask them to Format your harddisk,you cannot take a back up now.
So do a complete format and after you install a OS the first software you install should be a anti virus program.Do not disable this software.the least thing you can do to save yourself from viruses
pauline123
I would get your computer back and find someone else to do the work if you are uncomfortable doing so. If a company tells you it is irrepairable they are most likely pulling a scam on you and are not worth doing business with. The above listed solutions should work for most if not all viruses. However, some viruses can make your CPU heat to such a temperature that it is for all merits destroyed. However, if it is still running that is not the case. Sure, there are most likely other viruses that affect the hardware but most of the time viruses are removable.