FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Polar vortex

standready
Nearly half of the United States and a large part of Canada are being effected by a polar vortex or cyclone. Here are a couple of news stories about this weather.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/06/22201007-polar-vortex-what-is-it-and-when-is-it-going-away
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25609411

Myself, last night it got down to -20.2 F on my outside thermometer. High temperature for today was -12.8 F (yes that is a minus sign in front of that 12). I got over 13 inches of snow before the cold which is being blown around by 35 mph gust of wind.
Area might get above 0 F midday tomorrow.

I don't want hear "CHILL out" ever again!
Blaster
Haha I feel the pain. We got 9 inches of snow on Thursday. Then on Sunday it rained and was up to about 60 degrees. It went from 60 degrees to 0 in a matter of 24 hours not including wind chill. With windchill when I went into work this morning it was about -15. I heard only 2 states were completely above freezing during this. Those 2 being Hawaii and Florida. Although even in Florida the temps dropped down into the 30s.

Oh they say it will be back up into the mid 40s by the weekend here.

Plus side is the cold weather and snow kept my beer cool for the Eagles game Saturday night.
deanhills
@Stand. The transforming 3-day map at the bottom of the BBC article of yours looks almost like that movie "The Day after tomorrow". Time to move to Mexico. Razz

standready
deanhills wrote:
Time to move to Mexico. Razz

No way I am going Mexico. I am going to Brazil to stay with Vanilla!

@Blaster: That is a quick big drop in temperature.

Today the temperature got up to 16 F (on plus side) and not expected to go much below zero overnight. This freeze though has been a boom for plumbers with all the frozen then burst water pipes. Auto service has had a boom as well especially with batteries.
bukaida
Does the pollution and greenhouse effect has anything to do with it? Earlier only Canada and some other places experienced chilled weather ( however not like this). Yesterday Detroit and Cleavland has recorded -25 and -27 degree C. Even the polar bears in the zoo are shivering. The satellite picture of USA is almost looking like Antarctica. This is all what we are getting from news. I have no physical idea of how it feels to be in such a cold ( no intention to have such experience in any time in future Smile ).
It is looking like the picture of Chronicles of Narnia where it was frozen for 100 years by a witch. Hope the temperature will rise soon.
deanhills
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Time to move to Mexico. Razz

No way I am going Mexico. I am going to Brazil to stay with Vanilla!
Ah right .... South America here we come .... think I'll head for Ecuador though.
Blaster
it made it back up in the 20s here. Funny how the 20s feels warm. Lot of broken pipes though like you said. I know its been a problem all over my county and it even destroyed the bar I usually go to.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
and it even destroyed the bar I usually go to.
got to make it drought stricken then ... lol
Blaster
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:

Luckily its only one of the many around my area so we should be good.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:

Luckily its only one of the many around my area so we should be good.
Haha .... safety in numbers then .... Laughing
Blaster
Obviously... What would we do with only 1 bar.
standready
bukaida wrote:
Does the pollution and greenhouse effect has anything to do with it?

Not according to the article that I linked. Plus I think if it was due to pollution or greenhouse effect that the polar vortex would occur more often and probably multiple time during a winter.

@Blaster: I do hope your watering hole is able to clean and repair and reopen. Today my area reached 23 F so now it is snowing.
watersoul
standready wrote:
@Blaster: I do hope your watering hole is able to clean and repair and reopen. Today my area reached 23 F so now it is snowing.
Yeah man, your local pub is 'your local' for a reason.
I also hope everyone switches to the far more sensible Celsius system of measurement, freezing point of water = 0 C while boiling point is 100 C
32 F and 212 F? What is 0 degree F being 17.7778 Celsius supposed to represent (warm water) ??! Razz
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
standready wrote:
Yeah man, your local pub is 'your local' for a reason.
I also hope everyone switches to the far more sensible Celsius system of measurement, freezing point of water = 0 C while boiling point is 100 C
32 F and 212 F? What is 0 degree F being 17.7778 Celsius supposed to represent (warm water) ??! Razz
Me too Watersoul. I can't figure out the logic of F when Celsius is available. Very Happy
standready
Polar vortex is gone now from my area. Temperature above 0 F and even warm enough to rain which is causing flooding because of all the snow on ground water has no place to go.
Aredon
standready wrote:
Plus I think if it was due to pollution or greenhouse effect that the polar vortex would occur more often and probably multiple time during a winter.

Not necessarily. That seems to imply that, if climate change was the cause, one winter we would just start having multiple polar vortices. When in fact it would likely be a single one that would be the herald for more, and we wouldn't know. I'm not saying that there will be more! Just that obviously only having one this winter doesn't take climate change off the table as variable. Cool
Blaster
It rained here yesterday and like you said it caused a lot of high waters especially being down from the mountains. Yesterday it got to almost 60 but even today it was 35 and i was wearing shorts just fine.

And for all you F haters just remember. Were America and we can do what we want.
watersoul
Blaster wrote:
And for all you F haters just remember. We're America and we can do what we want.
Haha, no attempt to explain how the F system could be any more sensible than Celsius then?
Oh, and fixed that apostrophe for you - No one expressed any doubts that the US can do what it wants, from killing innocents with drones to having its own curious temperature recording scale, although it was interesting to see the US changed its mind about bombing Syria when the UK Parliament voted against assisting with any British forces.
I was just making an observation that the Fahrenheit temperature scale is deemed inferior by almost every other country in the world. I share that world view Wink
standready
watersoul wrote:
I was just making an observation that the Fahrenheit temperature scale is deemed inferior by almost every other country in the world. I share that world view Wink

No explanation of the Fahrenheit temperature scale from me either. Just like inches, that is what I grew up with. At least things can be converted. Some people can't. laugh
Blaster
I was kidding I have no reason why we use it. In college Celsius was more the norm even over here. The whole metric system is becoming more and more popular over here in the states. I don't know if I could get used to using just the metric system though. When someone tells me its 0 degrees out I'm gonna be thinking damn its cold out.
watersoul
standready wrote:
At least things can be converted. Some people can't. laugh
So true!

Blaster wrote:
I was kidding I have no reason why we use it.
Sorry man, thought you were serious without any emoticons Wink
Quote:
In college Celsius was more the norm even over here. The whole metric system is becoming more and more popular over here in the states. I don't know if I could get used to using just the metric system though. When someone tells me its 0 degrees out I'm gonna be thinking damn its cold out.
I love metric, and although I was taught old British measurements in school 'for awareness' I'm sooo glad we dropped inches, feet, yards, ounces, pounds, stones, and Fahrenheit.
I love how it works with (distilled) water: 1 cubic metre of water (1000 litres) weighs 1000kg, it boils at 100C at sea level and freezes at 0C - simple.

I still order a pint at a bar, or buy 'pints' of milk at a supermarket, but really at the point of sale it is 568 millilitres, which is usually in tiny print to comply with EU standardised trading rules.
Hopefully we'll drop miles and adopt kilometres on our road signs as well one day, 1,760 yards in a mile is a bit silly as well in my opinion. It'll come as the older generations die off I'm sure.

On topic again though, miserable rain here today, but pleasantly warm at 9C or 48.2F
watersoul
standready wrote:
At least things can be converted. Some people can't. laugh
So true!

Blaster wrote:
I was kidding I have no reason why we use it.
Sorry man, thought you were serious without any emoticons Wink
Quote:
In college Celsius was more the norm even over here. The whole metric system is becoming more and more popular over here in the states. I don't know if I could get used to using just the metric system though. When someone tells me its 0 degrees out I'm gonna be thinking damn its cold out.
I love metric, and although I was taught old British measurements in school 'for awareness' I'm sooo glad we dropped inches, feet, yards, ounces, pounds, stones, gallons, and Fahrenheit.
I love how it works with (distilled) water: 1 cubic metre of water (1000 litres) weighs 1000kg, it boils at 100C at sea level and freezes at 0C - simple.

I still order a pint at a bar, or buy 'pints' of milk at a supermarket, but really at the point of sale it is 568 millilitres, which is usually in tiny print to comply with EU standardised trading rules.
Hopefully we'll drop miles and adopt kilometres on our road signs as well one day, 1,760 yards in a mile is a bit silly as well in my opinion. It'll come as the older generations die off I'm sure.

On topic again though, miserable rain here today, but pleasantly warm at 9C or 48.2F
Blaster
The weather here has been in the 40's but we are looking at it going back in the 20s at the start of the work week. Not looking forward to more cold weather just want summer again at this point.
deanhills
Blustery wind over here all day with quite a nip in it. Wonder whether we're going to get rain again.
Blaster
And back at it with the snow and single digits. Is it summer time yet? I much rather be out in 100 degree weather.