FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frihost Redesign?

zacky
It's 2014 now and I feel changes need to conduct in this forum while retaining best features.

- I always think to re-design the theme, workflow of points and remove Frih$ since it is useless anymore.

- Put in archive old posts and instead use it as validation for future posts to prevent duplicate questions or posts.

- Put some notifications if someone respond to your post or quote you instead of email you.

- Make Frihost University, where in one of the forum members will volunteer to teach a topic he desire in exchange of points?

- Create more HD and fun emoticons? by events, situation, moods, season and etc..

- In forum front page, highlight current and most hot topics and posts

- Re-invent the way you post? Support maybe drag and drop of images and make text area friendlier to users making easier to post, format your post in many levels.

Of course doing all of the stuffs will take much time and effort. Anyway I think there are lots of people will contribute and help here in Frihost. We can do this in exchange of points if we did not get target number of contributors. I volunteer myself.
Josso
zacky wrote:
- Make Frihost University, where in one of the forum members will volunteer to teach a topic he desire in exchange of points?

That's a really neat idea but we probably need more active posters again for it to be used
zacky
Josso wrote:
zacky wrote:

That's a really neat idea but we probably need more active posters again for it to be used

No worries, I think since someone offers a tutorial, more and more people will become interested especially it will be in exchange for coins. Maybe just like other things, on the beginning it will be hard and touch but just like a wheel of a car, one its start rolling, it will continuously rolling.
dxverm
I would be happy to help as well, with the web design, tutorials, or anything really. If anything comes of this please let me know so I can help reinvent Frihost Smile
deanhills
As far as I know, we already have a member of staff who was employed for his design skills. Ghostrider103. He must have made a million suggestions (some of them are in this Forum if you Google them) but as far as I understand Bondings regards Frihost as a sandbox where he prefers to exercise his own skills. This may change, but if it does he'll likely approach Ghost Rider for assistance first. So far Ghost Rider has done some great work on the designs of our latest ranks, think the last four or so. He may have done some other art work as well that I haven't noticed or forgotten about. Darn! Time is really marching on here and the years seem to be blurring into one another. Razz
Deline
I would totally like a redesign in the forum, with new emoticons, images and new features.

About Frih$: I still dont know what these things are for. lol
Blaster
Frih$ are forum currency you can use to exchange for things to be done. Such as i'll give you 100 Frih$ for you to make me a signature.
tamilparks
nowadays we have not more active members, we have to find the reason and bring them back to active
Deline
Blaster wrote:
Frih$ are forum currency you can use to exchange for things to be done. Such as i'll give you 100 Frih$ for you to make me a signature.

Got it. It was a cool idea, then...If I had known this before I would spend it with many nice things!
Blaster
Deline wrote:
Blaster wrote:

Got it. It was a cool idea, then...If I had known this before I would spend it with many nice things!

Yea it was a really good thing when there was people around. It was going to lead to a store but this never happened.
GuidanceReader
Josso wrote:
zacky wrote:

We'd probably get more active posters if the support for the hosting was back to its former glory. I don't come here anywhere near as much, as there is not so much drive for me to keep my hosting. I don't trust the stability of it anymore so have moved somewhere I feel less at risk. I got sick of my website being down and no one around to fix it. When I first came here, I was really happy with the support and response times for hosting, so went out of my way to ensure my post count was up enough to keep my hosting.
jamesparker
Yes, I al also in the favour of redesigning
Peterssidan
Anyone remember the FriHost Redesign Project? It didn't happen then so I don't think it will happen now.
truespeed
I remember that,Luke put a lot of work into it,without any input from Bondings,only for Bondings to finally respond weeks later that no changes will be made.

Just looked at the date,2007. Shocked
RosenCruz
I believe Bondings invested too much (time & effort ) into this heavily modded phpbb2. I do not think he will be accepting these suggestions Rolling Eyes
Marcuzzo
RosenCruz wrote:
I believe Bondings invested too much (time & effort ) into this heavily modded phpbb2. I do not think he will be accepting these suggestions Rolling Eyes

sorry to dump this old thread but there's a point in this.

nowadays, people have become mobile and websites need to look fresh.
let's be honest, the design of this forum is enough to scare new users away, this is what the internet used to look like over 10 years ago Very Happy

I mean, the site doesn't need an overhaul in it's codebase, most of the code is still usable, but the theme could use a little bit of TLC.

I've said it before and will say it again. If Bondings will allow it, I will definitely be happy to be part of a project team to update this forum.
RosenCruz
Marcuzzo wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:

sorry to dump this old thread but there's a point in this.

nowadays, people have become mobile and websites need to look fresh.
let's be honest, the design of this forum is enough to scare new users away, this is what the internet used to look like over 10 years ago Very Happy

I mean, the site doesn't need an overhaul in it's codebase, most of the code is still usable, but the theme could use a little bit of TLC.

I've said it before and will say it again. If Bondings will allow it, I will definitely be happy to be part of a project team to update this forum.

I totally agree with you. We are on the same side. However, this forum includes many add ons like points and dollars system, web hosting account management, a different index page etc.

I would trade all these for a modern looking and a better software. I just believe that Bondings would not agree with me.
pauline5765
That's true. I've seen a lot of forums already and frihost has remained what forums looked like 10 years ago lol.. classic design

Some don't even know how to use a forum anymore, my brother doesn't know how to navigate through it since he's from a way younger generation where everything is way more simple (although for me this forum is already simple enough)

Would be nice to have a forum or system redesign/redevelop where it would work like stackoverflow or reddit. It might take a lot of time though, but there might be some dev volunteers to pitch in with the work especially if you can make the project open in github or something.

I can volunteer myself too Smile
hown
this design of phpbb is good , classic , we can stay with this but with additional new features, like quick reply.
in my country the biggest forum is still using ipb2.0 but they have completely overhaul it.
you can take a look at http://forum.lowyat.net
deanhills
hown wrote:
this design of phpbb is good , classic , we can stay with this but with additional new features, like quick reply.
in my country the biggest forum is still using ipb2.0 but they have completely overhaul it.
That's very interesting Hown. If I may ask, how do you secure a dated forum script like that? I tried to set up a phpBB2 Forum at the beginning of the year, and the security was violated within a day. Are there security patches for it?
hown
deanhills wrote:
hown wrote:
That's very interesting Hown. If I may ask, how do you secure a dated forum script like that? I tried to set up a phpBB2 Forum at the beginning of the year, and the security was violated within a day. Are there security patches for it?

No idea , perhaps changing to MyBB? phpbb has very weak defense especially against spambot. So annoying. Sad
deanhills
hown wrote:
No idea , perhaps changing to MyBB? phpbb has very weak defense especially against spambot. So annoying. Sad
The phpBB from Version 3.1 onwards is quite good. Think phpBB has managed to sort out some of its issues with a major overhaul at Version 3.1 mark and is more or less on the same footing as myBB, except myBB has now won market share while phpBB was struggling with its spam and security issues. It may take some time for phpBB to be as strong as myBB is from a competition point of view.

I'm almost certain however that Bondings has built in security mechanisms into phpBB2 for Frihost. He did an incredible job of coding phpBB2 for a hosting Forum, so much so that we won't be able to upgrade phpBB2 because of all the coding that will have to be upgraded first. I'm quite happy with the design however, something special that is unique to Frihost.
Da Rossa
Please, so far I understood that Frihost is a vintage site, which justified the use of a very old phpbb version. However, please, it's really time to move on the design. Another look and feel, and not necessarily phpbb based. This forum is so zero-decade. It's high time it moved onto the 10-decade!
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
Please, so far I understood that Frihost is a vintage site, which justified the use of a very old phpbb version. However, please, it's really time to move on the design. Another look and feel, and not necessarily phpbb based. This forum is so zero-decade. It's high time it moved onto the 10-decade!
I get the feeling if Frihost would be redesigned that it won't look like Frihost any longer. At least Frihost with the way it looks like now has nostalgic value for its members, but maybe the same thing will happen as with freewebspace.net community forum. It started going down in traffic around 2009/2010 (after a really active 2002-2009 period - like it used to be the go to forum for figuring out what shared hosting was available). The owner then thought if he would change FWS's appearance it would attract more traffic and just the opposite happened. For me I just couldn't relate to freewebspace.net Xenforo style compared with Bulletin before - it was like a new empty Forum - with most of the members gone. The standard of the free shared hosting directory also completely went down the tubes.