FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wordpress

BrightSparx
I have been recommended by someone on this website to use a program called Wordpress. I just wondered if someone could answer a few questions for me?
A- is it relatively easy to use for someone with very little HTML knowledge I played around a little bit with it about 7 years ago but couldn't really grasp it then.
B- would it work on my iPad? I only really use my iPad as my laptop is pretty knack eared and I don't fancy buying a new one.
C- where would I get hold of the software and does it cost? If so how much?

Many thanks,
Neal
SonLight
Hi, BrightSparx, welcome to the forums. Wordpress is available from wordpress.org and it is free. If you want to try it out right away, you can sign up for an account at wordpress.com, which hosts wordpress sites for free (with ads) or for a modest charge (no ads unless you sell some).

You probably would want to get one of either a. a paid account at wordpress.com or b. a frihost site, your own domain optional but desirable for a business or c. a paid hosting account elsewhere. Charges run $10-$12 a year for a good paid domain; you can renew year-by-year as long as you need it. Wordpress.com paid accounts are maybe $70 a year (wild guess for now), but may be a good compromise for limiting the do-it-youself issues.

I would recommend getting familiar with both the wordpress sites, and practice putting some material on line at wordpress.com, which will cost you nothing. Consider how you can move material to your new site later, and think about backups and other maintenance you will have to do if you move.

I wish you the best of luck. If you have any interest in learning more advanced web techniques I definitely recommend the Frihost forums for assistance, even if you decide to use another option for your permanent site.
zacky
BrightSparx wrote:

A- is it relatively easy to use for someone with very little HTML knowledge I played around a little bit with it about 7 years ago but couldn't really grasp it then.

It really depends. By means of that is how you will used WordPress. If you are about to just use it without code customization or doesn't have plans to do your own theme, then even without HTML knowledge would be fine.

BrightSparx wrote:

B- would it work on my iPad? I only really use my iPad as my laptop is pretty knack eared and I don't fancy buying a new one.

Yes you could. Anyway it is your own preference. Although you have to upload first the source code of WordPress into a web server or web hosting so you can access it.

BrightSparx wrote:

C- where would I get hold of the software and does it cost? If so how much?

I think it is already been answered by SonLight.
BrightSparx
Iv downloaded the Wordpress App and just had a little play around with it, but it seems I am only able to make a blog rather than a website? I don't know if I'm just overlooking something stupid or if its the only option available via the app? I hate being useless at this stuff! Your help is much appreciated, many thanks!
zimmer
wordpress is good and its easy to developed.

CMS are very effective now specially that it is free and no need to coding.

Also, try Joomla - it has amazing platform. Likewise drupal.

That really depends on your needs on what kind of website do you want to used.
Vanilla
BrightSparx wrote:
Iv downloaded the Wordpress App and just had a little play around with it, but it seems I am only able to make a blog rather than a website? I don't know if I'm just overlooking something stupid or if its the only option available via the app? I hate being useless at this stuff! Your help is much appreciated, many thanks!

Not at all! You can use Wordpress to build a website too. I know a lot of sites built with Wordpress. You have the option to set a static page to be your index page and use the blog page just to put site updates. You can add pages to your site just by creating Wordpress pages.

And Wordpress is fairly simple to use, you'll get the grasp of with quite fast. Very Happy
Sarah_Everden
Vanilla wrote:
BrightSparx wrote:

Not at all! You can use Wordpress to build a website too. I know a lot of sites built with Wordpress. You have the option to set a static page to be your index page and use the blog page just to put site updates. You can add pages to your site just by creating Wordpress pages.

And Wordpress is fairly simple to use, you'll get the grasp of with quite fast. Very Happy
~

Wordpress is quite easy to navigate around, and you can categorise your pages