FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Buying a domain

BrightSparx
When you buy a domain do you own it permanently or just for a period of time? Iv seen different ones advertised but can't quite get my head around it! I don't mind paying for one, but don't want to pay for it all the time.
watersoul
You purchase the right to use it for a specified period.
Registration is usually for between 1 or 2 years. If you fail to renew the registration it will first become suspended, then after no contact from yourself, it will be made available for the open market again.
zacky
Mainly it depends on the purpose of the domain. If it is for a business and you see it for yourself that you will use it for long time, then minimum of 5 years plus most of web hosting and domain seller will give you discount.

If the purpose is for your personal blog or an identity site of you itself, 1 year or 2 is enough. Because sometimes some people tend to get bored posting blogs especially when they get only few visitors.
dude_xyx
BrightSparx wrote:
When you buy a domain do you own it permanently or just for a period of time? Iv seen different ones advertised but can't quite get my head around it! I don't mind paying for one, but don't want to pay for it all the time.

Basically you "rent" it for one year. You can pay for upto 10 years same time. So yeah you have to pay like 10 USD each year. That's for maintaining those registry servers and stuff.
burgerbelly
How do I purchase a domain name?
dude_xyx
burgerbelly wrote:
How do I purchase a domain name?

Goto a domain name registrar like Godaddy or Namecheap.com and then enter the name you want with TLD (.com / .net / .info etc) then if the domain is available then it will take u to a purchase page. Buy it and you will be fine till u get renew notification in next year. Make sure to use an Mail Address which you frequently check. You don't want to miss the renewal notice and loose the domain name.