FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is it windy where you are?

chasbeen
Uks weather is currently very windy and wet ithas a direct relation to the wild temperature swings in North America.
It's early 2014 but this weather on both continents is apparany going to continue.

What's the weather doing where you are...
watersoul
chasbeen wrote:
Uks weather is currently very windy and wet ithas a direct relation to the wild temperature swings in North America.
It's early 2014 but this weather on both continents is apparany going to continue.

Nothing I'd call wildly unusual in 20+ years living on the South Devon coast, England, and previously growing up on the South West Wales coast.
I am liking this year because we have only had one or two nights -1C so my fuel bills are really low compared to December 2011 when we last had snow and freezing temperatures until Feb.
I was looking back at some pics the other day and realised how much I prefer this Winter so far!
Maybe my little corner of SW England is just an anomaly in the doom warnings in the media, or maybe the media is bigging up a few hundred homes getting flooded and one or two people tragically being killed by fallen trees a bit too much, in a country of 60+ million people and 20+ million homes?
standready
chasbeen wrote:
it has a direct relation to the wild temperature swings in North America.

You are welcome from North America!
Considering we have snow and extreme cold approaching (high temperature of -5 F Monday warming to -1 F Tuesday) now add winds to chill those numbers!
deanhills
We had some wind around here in the UAE yesterday afternoon, but when I went for my walk very early this morning, it was fine. I guess it will make its way here eventually. January is good for that over here.
watersoul
standready wrote:
chasbeen wrote:
it has a direct relation to the wild temperature swings in North America.

You are welcome from North America!
Considering we have snow and extreme cold approaching (high temperature of -5 F Monday warming to -1 F Tuesday) now add winds to chill those numbers!

Wow man, just converted it to Celsius and realised that is really cold!!
I've only ever experienced that working in an industrial freezer, sooo glad it never goes much below -4C (25 F) in my parts and then only for a day or two Smile
Vanilla
Greetings from the southern hemisphere. We're having a ridiculous summer and I don't if I'm not used to it anymore (our last winter was pretty harsh) or just getting old. Temperatures around 40C (104F) and humidity between 90% and 100%. Also, zero wind. Try to imagine that. The fans are just venting warm and humid air. My town is almost 1km above sea level and I can't understand this hellish summer. We're supposed to be this small charming town with nice people and nice weather and now I can't bring myself to leave home. Shocked
watersoul
Ooh Vanilla, that is the other end of the scale!
If some crazy millionaire offered me one (of only two) plane tickets in his hands right now though, for a free all expenses paid month holiday, one to Standready's area and one to yours, I know I wouldn't be packing Winter clothing!
I loathe the Winter and cold. Even physical work in the Summer is doable with plenty of water to drink, but Winter requires extra clothing, food, energy, blah.
I have many memories of feeling wretched working in Winter but none of Summer...Summer here only occasionally touches 30C though Razz

What's the coldest your Winters get?
Blaster
Vanilla i'm coming and visiting. Currently its been in the signal digits with the wind chill going into the negatives. We just got about 8 inches of snow here in South East Pennsylvania. Oh and this is also Fahrenheit.
standready
watersoul wrote:

Those were the high temperatures. Lows are going down into the -20s F maybe even touch -30 F. I don't think your lad would be out on his motorbike here.

Blaster wrote:
Vanilla i'm coming and visiting.

I hope you have plenty of room, Vanilla. I am going to need at least three months to thaw out!!!!
Vanilla
watersoul wrote:
Ooh Vanilla, that is the other end of the scale!
If some crazy millionaire offered me one (of only two) plane tickets in his hands right now though, for a free all expenses paid month holiday, one to Standready's area and one to yours, I know I wouldn't be packing Winter clothing!
I loathe the Winter and cold. Even physical work in the Summer is doable with plenty of water to drink, but Winter requires extra clothing, food, energy, blah.
I have many memories of feeling wretched working in Winter but none of Summer...Summer here only occasionally touches 30C though Razz

I like to complain, but I really prefer my summer over your winter... And 30C is really something! I believe my thermal comfort is something between 21 and 25C.

watersoul wrote:
What's the coldest your Winters get?

Here where I live we got temperatures of 4C (around 40F). It doesn't seem that cold, but we are not crazy prepared for the winter, so we don't have houses with central heating, fireplaces or even heaters. In some places in the south we got below zero temperatures and even snow. Definitely not my cup of tea. Razz

standready wrote:
watersoul wrote:

Those were the high temperatures. Lows are going down into the -20s F maybe even touch -30 F. I don't think your lad would be out on his motorbike here.

-30F? That's insane! Seriously, how can you cope with that? I can't even imagine what's like 0C.

standready wrote:
Blaster wrote:

I hope you have plenty of room, Vanilla. I am going to need at least three months to thaw out!!!!

Just pretend you're a bird and flee south! Jesus F Christ, -30F. I still can't believe it!
deanhills
Perfect weather here in the UAE. Slightly chilly in the morning, like 10 degrees Celsius or something like that, and then in the early twenties around the hottest part of the day. Just the way I like it. This morning when I went for a jog, there was a slight "fresh" breeze. Definitely the best weather there is and the best place to be. Particularly in Dubai where there is a plenty of things going on as well. They're having a huge shopping festival and plenty of entertainment laid on as well.
bukaida
It is about 13-14 Degree Celsius here in Kolkata ( Nothing comparable to the temperatures mentioned by you guys above Smile ) . Wind is blowing from north which makes the real feel much chiller than the thermometer reading. However we are enjoying this as it is much better than the hotty summer when temperature soars to 44-46 degree Celsius.
standready
Vanilla wrote:
standready wrote:
watersoul wrote:

-30F? That's insane! Seriously, how can you cope with that? I can't even imagine what's like 0C.

standready wrote:
Blaster wrote:

Just pretend you're a bird and flee south! Jesus F Christ, -30F. I still can't believe it!

Why pretend I'm a bird when there are airplanes to do the work especially since my arms don't flap that well.
As far as the temperature, Stay inside and wait it out like a storm which it is already doing in the form of snow. Expecting 12 inches before the temperature drops. Yes, winds are howling too (gusting to 30 mph) and having fun with snow!

If you want to track my temperature > weather.com and enter zip code 46307 There is also a story about the cold blast on main page about the "this wasn't been seen in decades".

I am sure there are others further north (Ankhanu and TheGremLynn) that have weather worst than my area.
watersoul
standready wrote:
Lows are going down into the -20s F maybe even touch -30 F. I don't think your lad would be out on his motorbike here.
Heck no, nor would I!

Quote:
As far as the temperature, Stay inside and wait it out like a storm which it is already doing in the form of snow. Expecting 12 inches before the temperature drops. Yes, winds are howling too (gusting to 30 mph) and having fun with snow!
Stay warm man, that's hardcore weather! Shocked
sysna
Yup, too much windy that even sometimes causes physical damages to houses Neutral by the way how can someone live without wind ? Very Happy
Blaster
Standready I feel your pain somewhat. Lived in the mountains for 2 years. Would get to about -20 with windchill. Walking a mile to class was not fun in that. Luckily here we havn't really dripped much below 0 and its currently in the upper 30s with rain.

And as for the cold its something your body gets used to. Its funny for people like me who go south and its 70 degrees out and people are outside all bundled up. Thats t-shirt and shorts weather for me.
zacky
Windy and cold here in Philippines. Well actually its not the same cold like in most upper country or lower part but for us 20 C to 22 C is cold enough..
spinout
yep, it is windy in Sweden... it has been a low pressure wheather for a month now, with rain... A bit odd but ok for a houseowner... not so much electricity needed for warming the house Smile
chartcentral
Earlier when I was outside, it was windy (and the wind was cold). Can't be sure if it's still the case right now. Smile
Nick2008
Windy and cold is a pretty accurate description. The U.S. has been hit by a "polar vertex" for the past few days, with temperatures of -25C to -35C from Chicago to Minnesota. Wind chills made it feel like -50C in some places.

Here in Washington, D.C., it was -15C this morning and with the wind chill made it feel like -25C. Most of the area's schools were closed today and many have delayed openings tomorrow since the temperature tomorrow morning will be around -10C.

It has not been this cold in D.C. for over 20 years and there's rumors that we could have a repeat next week.
Blaster
It went from a high of 60 F yesterday to a low (non windchill) of 0 F this morning. I went into work this morning to see that it was 2 F (non windchill) With the windchill it felt like -15 F and it was indeed very windy. I'm about 2 hours north of DC.
Vanilla
How the weather is right now:

That's 30C with 80% humidity and 21 km/h winds although I don't believe in the wind part that much. It's a lot fresher because we were hit by a cold front about two days ago. Also it's pouring.

Everyday in the news there's something about the cold in the US. They love to show us things like frozen fountains and frozen Hudson. They talk about the deaths. I really feel sorry for you guys. Sad
Blaster
The news likes to make a bigger deal than its worth sometimes. Sure its cold out but the people that have died are mostly due to accidents (ice) homeless people who are stuck out in the cold. Still tragic but the same can be said about higher temperatures as well.
standready
@Vanilla: That might defrost me. I can take the cold better than the heat. After all, you can only take off so much clothing in the heat. Cold, add more layers.
deanhills
standready wrote:
@Vanilla: That might defrost me. I can take the cold better than the heat. After all, you can only take off so much clothing in the heat. Cold, add more layers.
I remember when I was working in Calgary during the heart of the winter. And it gets there into the minus thirties at times. It would be FREEZING cold outside, and then you get inside the office and it is tropical weather. Every one is walking around in t-shirts and thin summer clothing. I also remember my apartment there. I couldn't get the heating to be turned off, and I was roasting inside. Totally melted my brain cells. I was GLAD to get out of there as it was the internal heating systems that turned me off much more than the very VERY long winters. At least in Vancouver I could get my internal heating to be permanently turned off during winter, and then just layered up properly inside my apartment.

And now here in the heat of the summer in the UAE we have the absolute reverse. It's in the high forties Celsius outside and we're freezing cold inside. We've got to dress for winter. And here you are right Stand, can't turn off the air conditioning system as then we'll die of heat, almost literally.

Strange world.
Blaster
When I was up at school my dorm room was always hot so we always had to have the window open. My apartment was the same way. It could be 20 degrees out and I had the window open
Deline
Vanilla wrote:
Greetings from the southern hemisphere. We're having a ridiculous summer and I don't if I'm not used to it anymore (our last winter was pretty harsh) or just getting old. Temperatures around 40C (104F) and humidity between 90% and 100%. Also, zero wind. Try to imagine that. The fans are just venting warm and humid air. My town is almost 1km above sea level and I can't understand this hellish summer. We're supposed to be this small charming town with nice people and nice weather and now I can't bring myself to leave home. Shocked

And also: NO RAIN! In So Paulo it's been days without raining. Sometimes the clouds cover all the sky and it begins to flash...But it's just that, they go away or just throw some water drops. I hope this situation could change on the weekend.
chasbeen
I'll take Uk winter my kiddies live in Ontario Canada
They just had night temps of -38

At those temps...
Ice cracks on your roof and wakes you up
Your Car engine block can break
It hurts your face walking down a street...
watersoul
chasbeen wrote:
I'll take Uk winter
Totally agree, nice mild 7C today with blue sky and sun Smile
Peterssidan
Some wind but I wouldn't call it windy. This winter has been relatively warm with temperatures well above zero most of the time. The weather has been perfect to run in but less perfect for the people that has looked forward to skiing, like my uncle. Today the temperature has fallen and is now -10 C so maybe the real winter has began. Mixed feelings about that. Neutral
watersoul
Peterssidan wrote:
Today the temperature has fallen and is now -10 C so maybe the real winter has began. Mixed feelings about that. Neutral
I can understand that, I'm really hoping we don't get a 'real winter' this year on the SW coast of England...loving the mild temperatures so far Smile
Blaster
Wind died down a lot here. It is currently 35 F outside right now and I was out in a hoodie and shorts and felt fine.
standready
Very windy here on the passing of another weather front. Gusting 50 mph.
catscratches
I live right by the coast. Pretty windy most of the time.
kaysch
Over here it's so windy that 8% of our nationwide electricity is generated by wind.
Which is amazing because there is only enough wind in North Germany and it is transferred to South Germany.
A large business, partially subsidized by the taxpayer.
Blaster
Still staying pretty calm around here. Hasn't really been getting below freezing the last few nights either which is nice. Has been rainy though.
pravojednostavno
no wind, just water
Blaster
Just to update everyone not only is it windy here but it is 14 degrees and snowy. Got about 14 inches on the ground so far and it hasn't stopped yet. Its a lot of fun to drive in but I'm pretty much beat when it comes to shoveling.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.86330&lon=-75.4356&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical
standready
Darn the wind is howling (gusting 45+ mph) and blowing the snow everywhere. Ever drive in 'white out' conditions? Not fun.
Blaster
Quite a few times in the past month I have actually. And I agree it is not fun at all. Especially now that all the salt is everywhere so the window gets covered in salt then the snow flying up blinding you even worse.
johans
spinout wrote:
yep, it is windy in Sweden... it has been a low pressure wheather for a month now, with rain... A bit odd but ok for a houseowner... not so much electricity needed for warming the house Smile

I have visited Sweden this March and the weather is perfect at night is windy and -4 but the country is good and very nice.

I like the transportation from Airport to Stockholm - Arlanda express where convenient. I have chance to walk around and i got a lot of beautiful pictures and memories. I will be back on May and i think its Summer on that time in Sweden.
deanhills
I'm on holiday in South Africa. A few days ago stayed with family at Betty's Bay. Their house is at an angle right on the beach where it gets the worst of wind from two sides. Quite something to experience. Right now in the East Cape huge thunder storms, rain and wind. Nice to have inclement weather for a change. Smile
jajarvin
Today is a windy day.
Wind is blowing from East with a speed of 9 m/s.
playfungames
It isn't that windy where I am except on certain months like April. And today, it was raining hailstorms. Like big hailstorms coming from the sky all of a sudden and nowhere to go for me.
mrshadow
Its very windy, around 100 kmh
mshafiq
In my area environment is mix. Per day/hourly fluctuations in weather. Some time windy, cloudy etc.
spinout
Yup, the forrest is constantly bending here in the South...
deanhills
Lots of wind where I am. We rarely get rain clouds, but we do get dust clouds regularly.
Insanity
There's some wind, but it never gets super windy here. When it's raining, it could be a little windier than usual. However, I've been to places where it gets super windy (e.g. Chicago), and those places are much much windier than where I am. They don't call Chicago the Windy City for nothing!
tonberry
It's the opposite of windy where I live, unfortunately. Poland is not as flat as Netherlands, for example, and we have some nice mountains as well, but generally it's not San Francisco for sure. Unfortunately, my town Cracow is in a slight recess so the air flow is poor. Despite not being China, my city is constantly insanely smogged and polluted in general. It regularly sits in the top 3 most polluted cities in Europe. Even in windy days, concentration of many heavy metals is way beyond what is considered critical. It is said that breathing Cracow air is equal to smoking 7 cigarettes per day. If someone is a heavy smoker already, that's a deadly dose Wink

It's still not as awful as China where the visibility on the streets is extremely low because of the smog, but it's pretty bad nevertheless. To make things worse, our president ignores all vital air tunnels that go through this town and gives license after license to build more office blocks so the situation is getting worse every day.
Da Rossa
No it's not windy here in my city. Unfortunately; competitive sailors hate our 10-knots max winds here.
standready
Here in the middle of the US, winds vary depending on weather fronts. Not far south of me (50 miles), they must think there is enough wind because there is a wind powered electric generating 'farm'.
deanhills
Getting to be autumn here, which means slightly lower temperature - and for now no wind. Just the way I like it.