FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Just give me a clue about this e-mail I received :)

Da Rossa
Not from Frih staff, of course.

Quote:
Dear Leo,

As a SiteUptime user we understand that website uptime is important to you. Our job is to track your uptime and report when there are problems. Two days ago, several of the largest web hosting companies in the world had a major outage that affected many of our clients. We understand the frustration that these clients experienced and because uptime often depends on having a reliable web host, we'd like to recommend a web host that has a track record of proven uptime and reliability.

Hostamania (https://www.siteuptime.com/hostamania) is currently offering 6 months of free web hosting that includes cpanel, unlimited disk space and 24/7 support. For the first 100 SiteUptime users that take advantage of this offer, we will upgrade your SiteUptime account to our Premium Plan for the same period of time. Simply email support@siteuptime.com with your email once you have registered with Hostamania.

Hostamania hosts their client websites in one of the same data centers that SiteUptime has been using for over 2 years so we can attest to the reliability and performance of their network infrastructure. They give you 6 months to try their service with no obligation or commitment to make sure you are absolutely happy with the web hosting and uptime.

Visit https://www.siteuptime.com/hostamania to sign up and get started.

Thank You,
SiteUptime

I know this has nothing to do with you, but it appears they know I use a free webhosting service. They also now my first name and e-mail. Before anything, I'm not even implying Frih administration has any part in releasing my info but, given I have a site hosted here, with a registered domain in one Brazilian domain company, how could they've known this? I'm aware there's been a increase in the number of 'personal-information-which-are-available-in-the-public-sources-fetching-services', those damn enterpreneurs that couldn't care less about privacy, but to where would you point your fingers, even without the hard evidence, about who's responsible for releasing my data to these unknown people?

Thanks Very Happy

Edit: just read again my post and saw that, if I wasn't myself, it would look like a complaint topic. It is not. I'm seeking for answers with people that might have had the same experience. Could this be my domain registrar?
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
Could this be my domain registrar?
I think there is an excellent possibility that it may be your Domain Registrar, as the Domain Registrar is compelled by law to provide public access to the contact details of the owner of a domain. Usually people at the time of registering their domains can enter into a domain proxy arrangement with their Registrar, (for free, or for a fee), to get the Registrar of their domain to use the Registrar's contact details instead of their own. But if a domain by proxy arrangement is not in place, then your personal information may be publicly available by default.

Check your domain at this domain info checking Website, and see what information comes up:
http://whois.net/
Da Rossa
Quote:
I think there is an excellent possibility that it may be your Domain Registrar, as the Domain Registrar is compelled by law to provide public access to the contact details of the owner of a domain. Usually people at the time of registering their domains can enter into a domain proxy arrangement with their Registrar, (for free, or for a fee), to get the Registrar of their domain to use the Registrar's contact details instead of their own

I'm aware of the privacy proxy, I payed the extra fee for it Sad In fact, it is in effect:

Quote:
Domain ID:D155888218-LROR
Domain Name:NOTASDEAULA.ORG
Created On:17-Apr-2009 12:09:29 UTC
Last Updated On:07-Dec-2013 12:39:32 UTC
Expiration Date:17-Apr-2014 12:09:29 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:eNom, Inc. (R39-LROR)
Registrant ID:e971dd2517d25618
Registrant Name:Whois Agent
Registrant Organization:Whois Privacy Protection Service, Inc.
Registrant Street1:PO Box 639
Registrant Street2:C/O notasdeaula.org
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Kirkland
Registrant State/Province:WA
Registrant Postal Code:98083
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.4252740657
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:+1.4259744730
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:xwtnsccqv@whoisprivacyprotect.com
Admin ID:e971dd2517d25618
Admin Name:Whois Agent
Admin Organization:Whois Privacy Protection Service, Inc.
Admin Street1:PO Box 639
Admin Street2:C/O notasdeaula.org
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Kirkland
Admin State/Province:WA
Admin Postal Code:98083
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:+1.4252740657
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:+1.4259744730
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:xwtnsccqv@whoisprivacyprotect.com
Tech ID:e971dd2517d25618
Tech Name:Whois Agent
Tech Organization:Whois Privacy Protection Service, Inc.
Tech Street1:PO Box 639
Tech Street2:C/O notasdeaula.org
Tech Street3:
Tech City:Kirkland
Tech State/Province:WA
Tech Postal Code:98083
Tech Country:US
Tech Phone:+1.4252740657
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:+1.4259744730
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:xwtnsccqv@whoisprivacyprotect.com
Name Server:NS1.FRIH.NET
Name Server:NS2.FRIH.NET
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
DNSSEC:Unsigned

As you can see, you don't see my actual details in there.
Are there other likely possibilities Dean? Sad
And, of course and as always, thanks.
Peterssidan
They could have got your email and name from your website. The message could be aimed at any website owner, not just those using free hosting services.
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:

As you can see, you don't see my actual details in there.
Are there other likely possibilities Dean? Sad
And, of course and as always, thanks.

OK, we've cancelled out Domain Registrar.

Next is if you check the e-mail to you it refers to:
Quote:
Dear Leo,

As a SiteUptime user

That suggests to me that you must have registered with the Website. It could be indirect registration through third party. I.e. you register for freeware or you register for doing something else and you get this without asking for it.
Da Rossa

Yes, on me.

Sorry for even opening this topic. Dean got it right: he brought attention to the "as a siteuptime user". So I went there, login page, then hit the 'forgot password' link. Surprisingly, my e-mail address was recognized. I then searched my Gmail inbox and came up with this 5 to 6 year old message, which I completely forgot about:

Quote:
SiteUptime <NO-REPLY@siteuptime.com>

24/09/08

para mim
Dear Leo,

Thank you for registering with SiteUptime. To activate your account for darossa@gmail.com, please click on this link: http://www.siteuptime.com/users/confirm.php?ActivateCode=

If the above link does not work or you get an error, please go to http://www.siteuptime.com/users/confirm.php and enter this activation code:

42082f54b4b69adb5bcad4710a814be8

After activating your account you may login using the following information:

Email Login: darossa@gmail.com
Password:

If you are interested in advanced monitoring, please visit http://www.siteuptime.com/compare.php for a comparison of the monitoring services we offer. Paid account features include:

SMS Alerts
Custom Port Monitoring
SSL monitoring
DNS Monitoring
XML/RSS Statistics
Multiple Alert Contacts
Graphical Reports
2, 5 and 15 minute monitoring

If you have any questions about your service, please contact support@siteuptime.com

Thank You,
SiteUptime Support

Sorry again.
deanhills
No worries Da Rossa. Happens to all of us at the best of times. At least you now know how it happened. Hopefully you can unsubscribe, although when I checked through it it didn't look like such a bad Website from a spam point of view.
sysna
Very Happy

So the privacy protect is working well !
Da Rossa
Yes it is! Thanks you all!
And everything leads us to think Siteuptime is a legit service. It operates for at least five years. Smile