FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FRIHOST 2014

zimmer
What do you expect for frihost by 2014?

Share your expectations for the upcoming 2014.

Me, i think more space and domain name should continue approved on request.
Peterssidan
I expect Frihost continue it's service as reliable as before for another year.

I hope hosting requests will be handled more quickly.

I also hope the number of posts will be at least a little higher than in 2013.
sudipbanerjee
Wishing all frihost family members a very happy and prosperous new Year. Hope all of your dreams come true in 2014.
deanhills
I wish for one post from Bondings. A non-admin one that has Bondings back 100% at Frihost for that one post worth.

I wish some tender loving care for the Servers, and a full recovery for Server 1.

The rest is great as is. Thanks to all of those who make the forum into what it is.
dxverm
A few minor tweaks to the design, server maintenance, and some admin appearance Smile otherwise I like frihost.
zacky
zimmer wrote:

Expect more features and brand new things on Frihost. I know it sounds to generic and broad but you know changes for good things.
standready
deanhills wrote:
I wish for one post from Bondings. A non-admin one that has Bondings back 100% at Frihost for that one post worth.

I wish some tender loving care for the Servers, and a full recovery for Server 1.

The rest is great as is. Thanks to all of those who make the forum into what it is.

I am with you on this, Dean. I miss Bondings posting hopefully he will have a good April Fool's gag for us this year.
cybersa
zimmer wrote:

Account creator and some words from admin.
Blaster
I'll be happy if bondings just keeps paying the bills in all honesty.
grofet
I hope some improvement in the number of hosting storage and bandwidth for all user so we don't need to worry when our site grow very big. Grow big that's mean need more server cpu and memory resource allocated for all user.

I hope in 2014 there would be more new topic in general forum and the other forum, so the frihost forum will going to be more active than last year. More topic would be make us more easily gain point and cash. More point we have that's mean more domain that we can get for free without money.
truespeed
I don't expect much from frihost in 2014,unless something dramatic happens then I can only see the downward spiral continue. Perhaps a negative view,but the post count in 2013 was almost half what it was in 2012,and that trend looks set to continue.
bukaida
I expect the same quality of hosting and services as we used to get these years. I am also borrowing a wish expressed by Dean-- See Bondings more frequently in normal posts. I am feeling that now the frihost is running in some automated manner ( Like a chain reaction--poor analogy though). It requires
some personal touch from the creator ( feeling like orphan sometimes Smile )
sysna
I expect FriHost to change from PHPBB to something like Vanilla Forums, it is getting more and more popular and is easy to use also it looks a lot better.
johans
i wish to continue the service of frihost as free and fast and reliable request.

So far, frihost is been doing good.

LONG LIVE THE FRIHOST.
zimmer
wow!

All the respondents have good and positive intentions and i hope our wish can be granted.

I have seen truly frihost users thru the years and i can say i am very proud as a member of frihost.

I hope bondings, will read our expectation.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL and I WISH THAT WE HAVE A HEALTHY AND BEAUTIFUL LIFE FOR THE YEAR 2014!!!
Blaster
Switching from phpBB won't happen this has been stated many times before

Changing hosting package again won't happen and again has been stated before.

Sorry to be negative but I agree with truespeed.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
I don't expect much from frihost in 2014,unless something dramatic happens then I can only see the downward spiral continue. Perhaps a negative view,but the post count in 2013 was almost half what it was in 2012,and that trend looks set to continue.
Agreed for the better part. I'm not as negative though. Looks as though the Forum has the ability to survive without Bondings, which if one looks at the goals he made when he was interviewed by tidruG many years ago, he had hoped it would become, i.e. independent of him. It is growing into a Bondings legacy of sorts with Bondings in the role of a phantom paying the bills and looking after the servers, less perfectly than before but he is still around. We'll probably have the same number of posts if we continue the way we are right now though. Around 1500-2000 per month maybe. Not that numbers are really that important any longer. We've got great staff creating a mostly spam free environment, and some excellent posts from gifted forum members. Also a sense of community. I think we'll be around for a while yet.
standready
truespeed wrote:
the post count in 2013 was almost half what it was in 2012,and that trend looks set to continue.

Sad, but I think many people have turned to facebook instead of coming here. Anyone have any ideas on how bring more good people to Frihost?
johans
standready wrote:
truespeed wrote:
the post count in 2013 was almost half what it was in 2012,and that trend looks set to continue.

Sad, but I think many people have turned to facebook instead of coming here. Anyone have any ideas on how bring more good people to Frihost?

I think its better to get the quality post over the quantity post or members.
Blaster
You also have to look at what bondings did to promote this website. He put a lot of time in places like http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ where he got a lot of people to come over to frihost. this isn't done anymore causing a lack in posting.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
You also have to look at what bondings did to promote this website. He put a lot of time in places like http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ where he got a lot of people to come over to frihost. this isn't done anymore causing a lack in posting.
I like the Website. I find myself there plenty of times when I'm doing researches on Web hosting stuff.
Blaster
Then start promoting frihost again. We would obviously need account creators again though before we do.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
Then start promoting frihost again. We would obviously need account creators again though before we do.
Right. I'd love to be one! I did some promotion of Frihost at FWS at one time, and I think it did help. Frihost is still a top rated site there. We probably should do something like that again as that is a good promotion site as well.

Here's the link to FWS Frihost page so why not start off with clicking on that fifth star to vote for Frihost ....

http://www.freewebspace.net/free/Free-webhosting/Frihost/details

Or if any one has a bit of energy, register and put in a good review of Frihost. Last one was in 2012.
Blaster
Thats the place I was thinking of. A lot was going on back then with me personally... I guess I kinda attacked a few people who are no longer with frihost. That was almost 5 years ago now.
deanhills
That's a long time ago indeed. Any way, I've just clicked that voting button again. 94 votes. Hopefully more will click on it. Let's aim for 100 tonight! Very Happy
Blaster
Dean I bet if we start advertising the site and getting people here again we would be great. But like I stated before we have to have bondings stop by and at least make a few account creators again. I'm not sure what the new server is but I believe it is cPanel which I have used from the reseller point before and would be glad to come in and make a few accounts. I got more time this sememster so I should be here more often.
deanhills
The Server that is used for creating accounts at Frihost is using DirectAdmin. It's Server 4. I've got account creator experience with cPanel and WHM. But I'd imagine it would work the same.
Blaster
Ahh I personally like DA better anyway. I'm sure its the same idea though and pretty easy to create an account.
Fractus
Well since I am brand new and just signed up to frihost I just hope it all works out okay Smile
bukaida
I am also thinking of doing a bit of advertising jobs for frihost. Every year I have around 120 -150 Engineering students at my class. I think many of them will be interested in having a quality free hosting like Frihost. They are young, energetic and digitally literate in the age group of 18-21. Let me see how many of them are actually interested this time.
deanhills
bukaida wrote:
I am also thinking of doing a bit of advertising jobs for frihost. Every year I have around 120 -150 Engineering students at my class. I think many of them will be interested in having a quality free hosting like Frihost. They are young, energetic and digitally literate in the age group of 18-21. Let me see how many of them are actually interested this time.
That sounds like an awesome idea Bukaida. Way to go. Cool
Blaster
Its not so much that we need people who want the hosting. Its we want the people who will want to post in the forums as well.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
Its not so much that we need people who want the hosting. Its we want the people who will want to post in the forums as well.
The domains worked well for that when Bondings had lots of GoDaddy coupons to give, and i think those dried up when GoDaddy stopped the coupons and Bondings kind'a disappeared on us as well. Main attraction is that not many students have credit cards to buy domains with. Although I guess prepaid credit cards these days may work for that. But the domains definitely worked for getting more posts. Not always quality posts though. Some were a bit spammish in nature.
Blaster
That tends to happen anywhere. It comes down to checking to see if the posts are quality before giving the domains or what ever else away.
Deline
I hope this year I can really put some projects on practice...And I also want to finally start blogging again (for serious).
watersoul
I suspect that the longer a forum (or any other website) is ignored by it's creator/admins and doesn't appear to provide the service it claims to, then the more likely it is to lose users.
These days I don't use my Frihost space for anything other than hosting images which are linked to posts I've made here. I often use an image host as well now, such as Tinypic etc, because it is quicker than FTP'ing to the webspace.

I'm imagining that Bondings can't be arsed with it anymore and if/when the number of daily ad impressions drops below a certain level he'll pull the plug due to the server costs.
Call me a doom merchant if you like but no-one is that busy they cannot post the odd update by smartphone or other means, and while Frihost continues to be neglected then I shall assume it's days are numbered.

...just set up a Twitter account for anyone to get in touch if it happens: @WatersoulUK
I've had discussions with many interesting people here over the years and if the forums do disappear unexpectedly one day, feel free say hi Smile
Josso
I have similar opinions I have mentioned a similar thing to deanhills a few months ago.

My skype account is josso.co.uk for anyone who wants to keep in touch or whatever
RoylanM
I expect that frihost has a better support system, new staff that can be available for most of the day. I think that frihost just needs to step up a bit. I want to see Frihost get through this year with no problems and with more clients.
playfungames
I hope these things would happen for Frihost in 2014

Continuity: It will continue to provide its services to its loyal members as always.

Growth: I will add more to its services. More space, bandwidth and even more faster servers. I hope this is possible as the prices of these down. And when these advanced features are added, I hope that there will be a growth in member numbers and forum posters.
Gregoric
I hope to become less afraid of losing my main hosting service - which is Frihost, obviously - at some point in 2014, when Bondings will come and announce a better period in Frihost's existance, with far more administration presence, more interest in users and guaranteed availability of the services for all the time.

Frihost is indeed still a very reliable hosting and as a free one - it is *the* best one out there. But recently, I have been getting more and more afraid of its death and disappearance Sad
truespeed
watersoul wrote:
and while Frihost continues to be neglected then I shall assume it's days are numbered.

Frihost will be around for a long time,I can't imagine Bondings giving up the revenue a forum like this creates,I won't put a figure on how much it earns as it would be purely guesswork,but I imagine it would be more weekly than your average UK working wage,so as far as passive incomes go,that aint too bad.

However for the forum to continue bringing in the guest traffic and ad revenue it needs fresh blood and new posts,which means creating hosting accounts for new users immediately instead of making them wait weeks months.

If Bondings doesn't return and doesn't hire new account creators,then possibly a sale would be the best option,I would think a site like this would have many offers and at a good price.
Blaster
I fear a sale in a site like this. I fear changes that would occur if bondings sold the site and other took over.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
I fear a sale in a site like this. I fear changes that would occur if bondings sold the site and other took over.
So do I. But so would Bondings too I'm almost certain of that. Frihost is his, lock stock and barrel. His toy! His serious creation. I'd be VERY surprised if he sold it. I could see him mothballing it perhaps, but then he may just as well keep it running, it's running by itself any way, exactly as he had planned when he was still a student. Very Happy
Blaster
I can't deny the fact that it is still running and I'm shocked to say the least.
Bluedoll
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:
So do I. But so would Bondings too I'm almost certain of that. Frihost is his, lock stock and barrel. His toy! His serious creation. I'd be VERY surprised if he sold it. I could see him mothballing it perhaps, but then he may just as well keep it running, it's running by itself any way, exactly as he had planned when he was still a student. Very Happy
I tend to look on the positive side of things as well as the negative. Perhaps a sale might be the best thing that could possibly happen to a site like this. Bondings is not around and that might be because he is not interested in the site (that is only a guess). If that is the case then a new owner might try something completely new which could be for the better. Can you guess what would be a great improvement to frihost? Rolling Eyes
deanhills
Bluedoll wrote:
Can you guess what would be a great improvement to frihost? Rolling Eyes
Laughing

I discovered this YouTube show of frihost a little while ago when I was doing searches. Two years old. Frihost's roots in history do go down deep.

Interesting when one does a Google search on Frihost - and see what images come up. The first one reminds me of a Bondings typical April Fool's post. And the sheep's head an excellent post of his about how to cook a sheep's head. Always interesting topics. Razz

This one reminds me of Vanilla - an older Avatar that had been around for many years:

And this one reminds me I haven't seen Wellerchap in a long time ... am certain he'll pipe up one of these days though, he always does.

Another really good one in the same search:

Blaster
Deffinatly interesting to do a google image search. found the old header as well as some other stuff from when frihost was new and upcomming.
Bluedoll
@These images!!! Arrow

I like the one with the guy in the box. It was funny but if it is real not very funny for the homeless guy I guess.

The bruce lee one is well saying, " I want to express myself" lol

Not sure what the scooter is saying, maybe someone could explain that one.

However, I have to say boo to the pig's head. I know it is very real, that is what people do but I just didn't need to see it. yuk!

I guess the above reflects how I feel about frihost. It is a mixed bag.

A future that is better than the past would be well - better.
Peterssidan
Bluedoll wrote:
However, I have to say boo to the pig's head. I know it is very real, that is what people do but I just didn't need to see it. yuk!
It's a sheep head. I agree it's disgusting. The picture made more sense in the original thread that was posted by Bondings.
truespeed
Lots of the meme contest images are near the top of the frihost image search.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Lots of the meme contest images are near the top of the frihost image search.
We should revive that contest. There were really some excellent memes that came out of it. Got these from Google as well:

Blaster
Let me know when you find something about April 1st 2006 when we decided to rainbox everything.
Josso
Frihouse was my favourite april fools here
deanhills
Josso wrote:
Frihouse was my favourite april fools here
Me too, I also liked Evil Daddy!

Blaster
Joso do you remember when TPP decided to color her posts which lead to everyones posts being like this?

The Good ol' days
Josso
Must have missed that day Laughing - next year will be 10 years and I still haven't got sage lol
Pippo90
So far I have only had a good time with Frihost. In this 2014 I hope it won't change. Wink
william
Ah, Rainbox. Wish we could re-enable that, it was quite a, um, visual treat.

On the note of Frihost disappearing, I kind of want to back up the entire forum if it ever comes to that. After all, this was probably the first (major, per Big Boards) forum I was active on. Archive.org only has a few pages stored.
Blaster
that was frihosts first april fools day prank. Good times there. I agree if this place ever shuts down I'm really gonna miss it. A good portion of my middle school life was spent here along with some high school.
standready
Bluedoll wrote:
I like the one with the guy in the box. It was funny but if it is real not very funny for the homeless guy I guess.

One of Bondings April Fool's gags where he offered a free Frihost house.
And yes I did not need to see the sheep's head.
Josso
Blaster wrote:
that was frihosts first april fools day prank. Good times there. I agree if this place ever shuts down I'm really gonna miss it. A good portion of my middle school life was spent here along with some high school.

I bumped into someone from Frihost at college it's a small world
Blaster
Josso wrote:
Blaster wrote:

I bumped into someone from Frihost at college it's a small world

The first person to ever show me this website was a teacher of mine in middle school. Other than that I have never met someone else who has used frihost. Would be pretty cool though I suppose.
GuidanceReader
deanhills wrote:
truespeed wrote:
Agreed for the better part. I'm not as negative though. Looks as though the Forum has the ability to survive without Bondings, which if one looks at the goals he made when he was interviewed by tidruG many years ago, he had hoped it would become, i.e. independent of him. It is growing into a Bondings legacy of sorts with Bondings in the role of a phantom paying the bills and looking after the servers, less perfectly than before but he is still around. We'll probably have the same number of posts if we continue the way we are right now though. Around 1500-2000 per month maybe. Not that numbers are really that important any longer. We've got great staff creating a mostly spam free environment, and some excellent posts from gifted forum members. Also a sense of community. I think we'll be around for a while yet.

If this is the case, then he needs to 'employ' (not necessarily paid) people to be admin and have the appropriate 'rights' to keep the place functioning - such as hosting approval, set up and maintenance. I am sure there would be people capable of doing this, and then it would be a truly magical, community-run place. Frihost has potential. It's just a matter of fixing some holes that have appeared.
jamesparker
I am new and just joined in, Hoping for to have lots and lots of knowledge and fruitful discussions.
truespeed
Blaster
truespeed wrote:

haha thanks for making me laugh
johans
jamesparker wrote:
I am new and just joined in, Hoping for to have lots and lots of knowledge and fruitful discussions.

For sure you can learn a lot here. Just open your eyes and read with all your heart.. There are topics that are non sense but if you can check some members responses correctly and has different ideas, for sure you got amazed.
DesquisiadoMoral
I just hope continue giving us free reliable hosting and don't die Sad
Josso
I think it's important to mention that many of us including myself have not had hosting here for years and still make an effort to post. At least that says something!
deanhills
Josso wrote:
I think it's important to mention that many of us including myself have not had hosting here for years and still make an effort to post. At least that says something!
It definitely does. The Forum is more than just about free hosting. It has a sense of community.
dude_xyx
I hope Firhost will able to continue providing this great free hosting service in this year and coming years too.
Blaster
Josso wrote:

Yea, I still use my hosting but I do agree. Even if I wasn't using it anymore I'd still come and post a bit. After over 5500 posts I don't think they would really take my account down for a little inactivity.