FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is owning a stop sign illegal?

lockwolf
I have a stop sign in my room and it has a serial code on the back. My cousins gave it to me but I dont know where they got it from.
n0obie4life
Maybe they bought it from a store. Thats legal Surprised.

Taking one from the roadside isn't.
jveezy
Taking one off the streets is definitely illegal and potentially disastrous.

If you have a serial number on the back, it's probably illegal because I doubt anyone would bother to put a serial number on a stop sign that's intended to be sold.

You should probably turn yours in or something. Read the book Driver's Ed by Caroline B. Cooney if you're still unsure about it.
n0obie4life
They put the serial number behind so it looks real, if it were from a shop Wink.

I wonder what'd happen if its from the roadside. lol.
TheNazgul
PSSHHHH Everytime i go out drinking i alway end up with a piece of street junk i have 2 traffic cones and a hazzard light in my shed now....

I think of myself as cleaning up the streets of hazzardous obsticles
thiamshui
Who will care about a STOP sign anyway? Will they send u to jail simply bcos u hav stolen a STOP sign? Anyway, i doubt any authorities will give a damn bout a STOP sign..
schudder
Why would they not care? I mean, if you're supposed to stop at an intersection, and you don't cause the stop sign is missing... Then you're running a risk, because someone coming from the side might not see you and hit you because they weren't expected someone to drive onto the road like that.

But it's probably just a fake sign with a mock serial number Wink
lockwolf
I have no plans to turn it in due to the fact my friends and I wrote all over it, dont want to get hit for Graffiti and Theft. And as for the serial number, there is one but it wont be hard to get off!
S3nd K3ys
thiamshui wrote:
Who will care about a STOP sign anyway? Will they send u to jail simply bcos u hav stolen a STOP sign? Anyway, i doubt any authorities will give a damn bout a STOP sign..

Well, for starters, if I ran thru the intersection where you took it, and got in a wreck because of it, I'd not only throw your stupid ass in jail, I'd let Bubba the Love Sponge have his way with your back side!
Scott
You're better off jsut keeping quiet, no one really cares/will find out.
lockwolf
Scott wrote:
You're better off jsut keeping quiet, no one really cares/will find out.

Well crap, this really screwed this up!
izcool
If it were knocked down from someone running into it, you might get away with it. It would be a bit illegal (as I would think) if you shook the pole out of the ground to get it lol. It's the responsibility of the town/city to have that fixed anyway (local government/city workers should know that there should be one there but isn't), I wouldn't really worry about it.

- Mike.
SuperMonkey
If there is serial number on the back then it wont be a real sign, as I have never seen a real sign with anything on the back, however does it have hole in it that make it look like it use to be on a pole?

I would say that on the off chance it is real, that no one would care as those things are mass produced and cost next to nothing to make, and are also replaced within a few days if one does go missing. And as for someone possibly having an accident at an intersection just because there wasn't a stop sign... well maybe they shouldn't be on the road in the first place Smile seeing as they can't follow the basic road rules Smile
klingoncowboy4
On my place we have found a 60 km/h sign and a 20 mph sign. We keep the 60 km/h sign stoared away and the 20 mph sign at the gate.
lockwolf
It has holes, I have a great clue that they stole it when they had construction out in front of their houst where there used to be a stop sign.
Helios
Why the hell do u hang a stop sign inside your room? Confused
waiteck
IF its stolen from a contruction site/ road works, at the back there will always be a logo or a company name printed at the back of the stop sign. Otherwise, it could have probably bought from a stall.
[FuN]goku
in my opinion if u got it from your cousins then no... but if you just went out at night and ripped the sign out of the ground then yes that would be illegal
valkyrie-heavens
taking any sign is illegal, but people still do it. Just pray that ur not related to a cop... or any law official, lol.
nunosilva
Lol, I know some guys that in their home, it's almost look alike some driving school yard... when you get home, I got a stop sign, later you have a forbiden parking sign, along then with a forbiden way(or how you say in english...)
lol!
well I guess that the signs come with an authentication from the company that owes them...
I see lot's of sign with that, so if your stealing them... and you're caught... you're pretty screwed up..
so good luck!
KimRubin
How come there are never "GO" signs?
lbs
I have an old friend that went out and asked a road crew if he could have a stop sign they were replacing, and they gave it to him. So I guess there are legal ways to get a real sign Very Happy
planet
STOP that !!!!!! =))
lockwolf
I have a friend that wants to steal a sign that says "this area is monitored by security cameras" and stick it in his bathroom. he took the idea from my stop sign stealing.
n0obie4life
Let's wish him good luck Wink.

Well, if anything happens to him, please inform us Surprised
Grant_Weaver
I've seen Stop Sign faces on the side of streets, and I don't think anyone would really have a problem with taking one of those. But actually removing one from a post will probably get you in trouble.
Monkeydog
lockwolf wrote:
I have a friend that wants to steal a sign that says "this area is monitored by security cameras" and stick it in his bathroom. he took the idea from my stop sign stealing.

SO NOW YOU STOLE THE SIGN?
This story has so many contradictions. =o

I seriously don't the goverment is going to go into your house and beat you down because you have a stop sign. >.<
That'd be funny if that happened though...
izcool
Why not do it the good-ol legal way and just order a sign from a company that makes them ?

For the person who wanted a sign that says you're being monitored on video cameras, check this out : http://www.accuform.com/item_list.cfm?search_value=Camera&SNS=ANY

And for the people who wanted a stop sign, check this out : http://www.accuform.com/item_list.cfm?search_value=Stop&SNS=ANY

That's just one store out of the multiple on Google where you can get them from.

- Mike.
psycosquirrel
A friend of mine has one...

Once I found a Stop sign on the side of the road... I was gonna take it, but I was out running, so I couldn't really carry it 2 miles back to my house without raising suspicion.

My Government teacher has a license plate for EVERY state he "borrowed." He won't say where he borrowed them from though (probably for obvious reasons Laughing )
fallenangel
eh.... i believe its illegal cause its government property... but they are good to have if you skate and there is an annoying crack right before a set... but i wouldnt know anything about that....
lockwolf
fallenangel wrote:
eh.... i believe its illegal cause its government property... but they are good to have if you skate and there is an annoying crack right before a set... but i wouldnt know anything about that....

I would, Sk8boarder here.

I looked at the stop signs in my local neigbhorhoot and first off the signs are bolted on in a diffrent way than the one I have and the stop signs that they have have a sticker and not a serial number. I dont know if this would help or not.
EVILSKAAP
lockwolf wrote: I have a stop sign in my room and it has a serial code on the back. My cousins gave it to me but I dont know where they got it from.- I SAY: IS your cousin a traffic official? DONT THINK SO! A crime is a crime, both of you could be arrested for damaging public property if it came from the road side! Would you run a red light if it was the middel of the night with no other cars on the road? NO you wouldnt because its still a crime! SO yes i think its illegal!
Ressurrector
Considering I was a HUGE vandal and stuff when I was a teen I am gonna think this instance is legal cause I ain't NEVER seen a stop sign with a serial number on it. LMAO!! But the real street signs are definately illegal to posses. State property mane.
psycosquirrel
This serial number may have been part of a barcode from buying it from somewhere...
Anonymou5
There is a stop sign on a backwoods county road I know of that is completely washed out and barely readable. Its literally completely white. Would it still be illegal to acquire that one? Nobody stops for it anyway...why would they? Its just a big white octagon on a post that is kinda by a fork in the road...
Josso
I am not American so I can't vouch for this information but I had this on my HD, may be useful to this thread

RosenCruz
Josso wrote:
I am not American so I can't vouch for this information but I had this on my HD, may be useful to this thread

Nice to know that.
deanhills
I've been getting in the habit of going for a walk at lunch time since the weather is so good right now. Part of my walking route is past some ruins and an accumulation of old and used building materials and stuff like empty gas cylinders. I find it quite interesting to rummage through these parts, just to get a picture what it must have been like in the old days when people had been living there. People had been living in prefabricated homes and the path ways to their home are still stoned for the most part, some of them have been dismantled and some of the bricks removed.

Any way, two days ago discovered an old and very beautiful stop sign among the debris, and am highly tempted to lift it. I've ALWAYS wanted to own a STOP sign. This one is mounted on two sides - double sided. Ideal for a home pub. The colours are still very vivid bright red on white back ground.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
Any way, two days ago discovered an old and very beautiful stop sign among the debris, and am highly tempted to lift it.

Take a couple of black plastic bin bags with you to wrap/hide it on your way home Wink
zaxacongrejo
stolen government property
watersoul
zaxacongrejo wrote:

Yeah, I guess...tens of thousands of £'s paying tax over the years makes me less concerned about a £20 abandoned sign though.
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Any way, two days ago discovered an old and very beautiful stop sign among the debris, and am highly tempted to lift it.

Take a couple of black plastic bin bags with you to wrap/hide it on your way home Wink
Great idea! I also thought about getting there in my car over the weekend.
RosenCruz
This is now "how to steal a traffic sign" thread Smile
Josso
watersoul wrote:
zaxacongrejo wrote:

Yeah, I guess...tens of thousands of £'s paying tax over the years makes me less concerned about a £20 abandoned sign though.

I hear that, I took a street name sign when it had been smashed by a car wreck. They only would have sold it for scrap anyway.
deanhills
Josso wrote:
watersoul wrote:
zaxacongrejo wrote:

I hear that, I took a street name sign when it had been smashed by a car wreck. They only would have sold it for scrap anyway.
I argue the same way Josso. The stop sign is on a local rubbish dump together with empty gas bottles and lots of other debris waiting to be removed. I'm actually helping to conserve the environment. Angel

Aha .... here's an idea! I'll do it on Friday, 21 December.
Insanity
I don't think there's any use worrying about it now, but having a stop sign is highly suspicious.
Insanity
I don't think there's any use worrying about it now, but having a stop sign is highly suspicious.
deanhills
Insanity wrote:
Why would it be suspicious ..... Angel
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
I argue the same way Josso. The stop sign is on a local rubbish dump together with empty gas bottles and lots of other debris waiting to be removed. I'm actually helping to conserve the environment. Angel

still governament property
darthrevan
I would definitely say it is illegal to have one, especially taken off the streets. Imagine how many wrecks could be caused because somebody stole one.
watersoul
zaxacongrejo wrote:
Quote:

still governament property

None of it matters really though seeing as 'it's the end of the world' on Friday Lol Razz
Seriously though, I would be genuinely shocked if any police officer or local government official in the UK would be at all interested in an abandoned sign slowly rusting in an urban wasteland.
I can't comment about where Dean is but here the law has two different ways of looking at it.
Section 23 Road Traffic act 1988 - Causing danger to road users would be considered much more seriously, depending on the potential danger of removing a working warning sign. Maximum penalty up to 7 years in prison.

Finding an old sign which has obviously been replaced from wherever it originally was intended is another matter altogether. UK law considers 'finding and taking' an act of theft in some circumstances but it would not be treated as dishonest if: he appropriates the property in the belief that the person to whom the property belongs cannot be discovered by taking reasonable steps.
So, taking this it could be looked at under the Theft Act as it could be argued to be a reasonable assumption that the local authority have lost a forgotten sign somewhere. If you really wanted to sew it up legally in England you could take pictures of the abandoned sign, take it home, then send a cheery email to the authorities advising that you have rescued a rusting sign and offer them the invitation to view it (while you safeguard it's condition) and establish if it is theirs. This would of course require some evidence by serial number or maker stamp/whatever to establish ownership - attach pics as well, it would make for a funny topic to see the response, or lack thereof Laughing

I'd rescue the thing if I felt the desire.
The rare chance of an under resourced UK police officer having some issue with me after spying a sign in my home then reporting me for the 'offence' would be laughable. Even more unlikely is the Crown prosecution Service, after hearing my explanation, taking on a case which will cost tens of thousands of £'s over a £20 forgotten sign.

PS. If something is abandoned it cannot legally be stolen under English law.
Think of a promotional flyer/leaflet for a band found on the floor in town. Provided freely by the publisher as something 'given away' yet clearly no known current ownership...abandoned.
Thats a clear example but with most things including the sign we are expected to consider... he appropriates the property in the belief that the person to whom the property belongs cannot be discovered by taking reasonable steps ...to stay safe in the strictest legal sense.
Radar
I would just wonder who would sell a Stop sign. As in, what kind of market would there be for that, and even if there was, the obvious potential uses for that are legally questionable.
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
I'd rescue the thing if I felt the desire.
Ah thanks Watersoul. Great post by the way, really enjoyed reading it.

By the way, I don't think the stop sign is Government property. It belongs to the Hospital. In fact, it is much better quality than the stop signs that are Government property. Ha! Here's a mission for me for lunch time. Will go take a photo of it, sort of deserves it I think. Very Happy
deanhills
OK, just been on my photo mission. Felt a bit guilty, just waiting for a security guard to arrive on the scene and nab my camera .... lol!

This is what a Government Stop Sign looks like in the UAE:

It does come with a label at the back exactly like the one Josso uploaded.

And this is the Stop Sign in the Hospital's Rubbish Dump (probably ready for collection).

On closer inspection this Stop Sign looks English to me. Wonder whether it was lifted in the
UK and maybe it's UK Government Property .... haha ...

I covered it up a little ....

Peterssidan
You can see what's on the front side from the back side. Is it made of plastic? It's shaped like a circle, not like a octagon. Are you sure this is an official sign? Maybe this is something that the Hospital have put up themselves to avoid cars obstructing the ambulance traffic or something like that.
watersoul
Looks more like a steel/aluminium/copper salvage store to me, judging by the bits of scrap and what appears to be some electrical cable as well.
That said, those random bits are possibly being saved for the metal value alone. The plastic chair would be destroyed but the frame kept, and the (probably) worthless plastic of the sign discarded but the steel inner bracket retained for scrap value.
As I've had this thought now I would probably ask a worker there and offer to remove the plastic part of the sign, leaving the steel which has value to them. We have different sections for salvage scrap metal (with resale value) around a building site I work at - all the lads would consider it stealing if someone came and removed something without asking because every few weeks that 'rubbish' pays for a few crates of beers for the workers.

Definitely looks more like 'salvage store' than 'dump' to me Dean and I'd probably check to be safe...I'd also be really shocked if the nearest worker didn't just say 'yeh keep the sign just leave the steel bracket' though!
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
Definitely looks more like 'salvage store' than 'dump' to me Dean and I'd probably check to be safe...I'd also be really shocked if the nearest worker didn't just say 'yeh keep the sign just leave the steel bracket' though!
Think you're right on there. I'd probably complicate matters if I asked as the organisation of that Hospital is a bit bureaucratic. But yes, it now makes a good case for theft. Not really worth it.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
watersoul wrote:
Think you're right on there. I'd probably complicate matters if I asked as the organisation of that Hospital is a bit bureaucratic. But yes, it now makes a good case for theft. Not really worth it.

Ah, sorry for the legal discouragement but I'm guessing as a foreign national in UAE you wouldn't wanna deal with too much authority in the more blasι fashion I do in the UK.
If you want a trophy for the wall, take a visit to a local scrap metal dealer and ask if they've got any battered ones in, most are made of aluminium so damaged ones often end back at salvage yards. An interesting mission at the very least.
If you want a brand new aluminium one in your own design then this UK company does single orders online http://www.signomatic.co.uk/signomatic/aluminiumsign - I quickly tried, got me thinking now of a silly sign for my own wall Smile
coolclay
Like most have chimed in getting caught stealing a street sign is definitely illegal. In fact some students from my undergraduate college got caught http://bangordailynews.com/2011/10/03/news/midcoast/unity-college-students-busted-for-allegedly-stealing-street-signs/ and it didn't end very well.

But I'd imagine if you were to take the sticker off you'd be just fine. My friends father worked for the highway department and would give us old bent up street signs to use as targets for shooting, and then we would hang them up on our wall.
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
If you want a brand new aluminium one in your own design then this UK company does single orders online http://www.signomatic.co.uk/signomatic/aluminiumsign - I quickly tried, got me thinking now of a silly sign for my own wall Smile
This sounds like a GREAT idea. Thanks Watersoul.

You're right. After a number of years in a multi-cultural society I've learned this is something that is bound to confuse. In the end it could get as strange as a phone call from the Director of the Hospital to the Directorate of Police and Traffic Affairs - asking for permission to dispose of the Stop sign.
wellerchap
My Mum says I shouldn't be getting involved with people like you lot....all very dodgy, you are Very Happy
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
My Mum says I shouldn't be getting involved with people like you lot....all very dodgy, you are Very Happy
True. I'm still dreaming about that Stop sign! Twisted Evil
wellerchap
Dreams come true Dean....sometimes....go on....you know you want to !! Very Happy
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
Dreams come true Dean....sometimes....go on....you know you want to !! Very Happy
Right. I better go check first whether it is still there though. Twisted Evil
wellerchap
Tell them I sent you Very Happy