FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Year 2014 Resolutions?

watersoul
2013 is coming to an end and it has been a particularly exciting December for me as my son also turned 16 becoming legal to ride his 50cc trail bike on the roads.

My resolution is pretty simple, I'm getting a bike as soon as I can so we can chase a few adventures together, can't wait.
I'm self employed though so the last week has already cost me big time not working, plus the whole Christmas thing, travelling to see family, and my son's birthday.
I'm on a mad one now to earn big time for the next couple of weeks and quickly get square again with finances, then save enough to buy a motorbike before the end of February.
Jan/Feb are both crap months in the UK to be honest, cold, wet, dark, with nothing much going on, so looking forward to riding places and camping out with my lad in Spring will make the staying in spending nothing mission much easier Smile

So, any other Frihosters got plans or resolutions for the new year?
It'll be interesting to see how many turn out as planned...and definitely a case of 'pics or it didn't happen' for me! Wink
standready
Sounds like a good plan, watersoul. As for me, I don't make any specific New Year's resolutions. I adjust and make plans throughout the year as needed. I find most who make New Year's resolutions, break them before the end of January, February tops, then back to old habits.
deanhills
Although I agree with Stand, and it is pretty much what happens with me during the year, i.e. adjust as I go along, I do like to make some undertakings to myself at the beginning of the year. I want to procrastinate a little less and free up more productive time. Travel more. I want to write more blog posts and learn Linux if possible. Go on a learning curve ride. But not as an end in itself. Perhaps start a new blog and bring it all together. Definitely would like to travel to Turkey this year. May visit South Africa again this year as it may be the last time in a long while if my contract comes to an end in September.
watersoul
standready wrote:
I find most who make New Year's resolutions, break them before the end of January, February tops, then back to old habits.
Yep agree, not really a new year resolution for me because if my lad was 16 in say March, I'd still be on my mission for a bike by May.
He happened to be born at the end of the calendar year so my dad/son/life influenced thoughts have become my resolutions as the law/govt have said this particular age 'allows' him to ride his own nippy lil petrol engine vehicle Smile
Vanilla
I have a pretty bold one, which is no more coca cola for me. If I find it to be impossible, I'll try to drink less. My whole family seems to have a problem with this particular beverage since we're all addicted to it. My grandma drank so much, even during her diabetic years, that I really believe it was a major contributor to her death. I'm addicted to the zero version and I can drink 2 liters per day with ease. So I've decided to stop mainly for my kidney's sake. My brother told me that the artificial sweetener used just overloads my poor kidneys. So I'll try to live a healthier life! Sorry to bring up such downer topics. I'm getting old. Confused

standready wrote:
I find most who make New Year's resolutions, break them before the end of January, February tops, then back to old habits.

That's me. Rolling Eyes But this year I will really put my heart into my resolution!
Afaceinthematrix
That's a good one. Sodas are terrible for you and so if you can moderate it, then that's the key. I am personally trying to drink less beer (it would be impossible for me to not drink any).

I also want to become more effective at my job and feel more positive about it. And I want to be able to run 3 miles (I hate running). Two of those three are mesaurable and all are reasonable and so we'll see. I accomplished my goals the past two years in a row!
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I also want to become more effective at my job and feel more positive about it. And I want to be able to run 3 miles (I hate running). Two of those three are mesaurable and all are reasonable and so we'll see. I accomplished my goals the past two years in a row!
Wow, it must be quite hard to run where you are, isn't the humidity very high? Is it safe?
Nyasro
May be i will start new work with the beginning of 2014
Lets hope to be good Very Happy
zacky
Happy New Year!

I'm done listing my new years resolution few hours ago on my blog post.
SpaceInvader75
I am trying to drink less soda and eat a little healthier. I'm still drinking soda, but one thing I did was try to drink only about half a glass when I drink soda, sometimes less, and limit how often I drink them.

Probably more importantly, I want to drink less beer. I want to try to drink maybe once a week; I think drinking almost every day is too much for me. Maybe if I only drank one beer that would be fine, but I never do that. lol I had an idea about this. I'll probably write in my blog if it works:

I was thinking about saving the money I would have spent on beer next time I want to drink, so I could have a goal of something to do with that money. I don't spend much in one day, but it really ads up.

Another important thing I want to change is my income situation. I really want to start another business, and/or get a job. My plan here is to spend at least 2 hours a day looking for a job (because it's going to be hard to start a business from nothing). I'll probably be blogging about this.

Also, I want to be more creative, and make more music and art. I used to draw all the time when I was a kid, but since I grew up I hardly ever draw anymore. I learned to play the guitar, but I just stopped playing it. Now I don't have the money for a guitar. Sad Musical instruments can be expensive (although maybe not entry level guitars) but fortunately there are some free apps for making music online. I'll probably make separate posts/blogs about those.

Well, I guess I have my work cut out for me! Smile

Oh, and if those things weren't enough, I also want to start a website.
RoylanM
Well, for my New Years resolutions, I plan on earning a decent amount of money online, get some new clients and learn some new skills.
dxverm
I have quite a few resolutions for this year and I'll list them as follows.

1. Lose 60 lbs by the end of the year.
2. Master PHP/MYsql/Java by the end of the year.
3. Get a at least 20 Clients for Oblivion Designz.
4. Finish my first year of undergrad school with a 3.2 GPA
5. Get a new job to get me through college.

I don't think that is to hard of a list to accomplish in 1 year. Let me know what you think? lol
watersoul
dxverm wrote:
Lose 60 lbs by the end of the year

Wow, 27kgs? that's loads...I weigh 83kg, thats a whole 3rd of me Shocked
Best of luck though, just eat less n do more I guess, should be easy enough Smile
dxverm
I weigh 240lbs the most i've every weighed in my life! so I'd like to be back at 180 again.
watersoul
Good luck with it, we'll weigh the same then!
I've been 184cm tall since age 12 and have been 80-83kg in the 20 odd years in between.
If body weight is a personal management challenge for you I of course have sympathy, but it's definitely do-able, hope you reach your desired shape/mass/weight in 2014 Smile
deanhills
Good topic as that reminds me I need to get more exercise. Like on a daily basis. Have become too sedentary lately. Could probably call it lazy too. Thing is, once I'm out and about running or whatever, I usually enjoy it. It's just to get the discipline going again. Work through the procrastination thing. Razz
dxverm
deanhills wrote:
Good topic as that reminds me I need to get more exercise. Like on a daily basis. Have become too sedentary lately. Could probably call it lazy too. Thing is, once I'm out and about running or whatever, I usually enjoy it. It's just to get the discipline going again. Work through the procrastination thing. Razz

I 100% agree with you there! I have become very lazy physically in 2013. Just need to get up and do some PT in the morning and watch how much pizza I eat in 2014.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:

Any clubs or groups where you are that involve sport/fun/motion which will burn calories while meeting people?
I passed a street-dance classes poster in a store window yesterday and I'm thinking of going to learn a new dance style next week. Only £3 for an hour so I'm well interested in having a go...I'll keep you posted! Smile
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
I passed a street-dance classes poster in a store window yesterday and I'm thinking of going to learn a new dance style next week. Only £3 for an hour so I'm well interested in having a go...I'll keep you posted! Smile
Hilarious! I'd LOVE to see that. Sounds like wonderful fun too. Laughing
chasbeen
On the Telly in the uk is the appeal to help those suffering in Africa through simply not having clean water.
I've downloaded the form and I suppose my new year resolution is to make a donation to it.
johans
My New years resolution; Less fats to eat.

And continues my diet and healthy living this 2014.

Also, i hope i can purchase a CONDO unit and brand new car.
zimmer
I am still thinking what will be my new years resolution but i found best new years resolutions here:

Quote:
TOP 10 new years resolutions:
10: We know that not everyone is a skilled handyman, but learning some basic DIY has all sorts of advantages. Firstly, it saves time and money if you can fix something yourself instead of hiring someone to do it for you. It gives you a great sense of accomplishment when you finish a project, and it is also a pretty impressive skill to have.

So this year, make sure you put energy into learning how to do something practical. Whether it is turning a plank of wood into a shelf or rewiring your entire house (which we wouldn’t suggest as a first project), a manual project is certainly a resolution all men should make.

9. How many great books have we all heard of, but never actually read -- and perhaps even lied about reading? This year, make a point of knocking at least one title off that list. There are so many big reads to choose from, from classics like War and Peace to contemporary titles like The Kindly Ones, that you are bound to find something that will appeal to you. Not only will it make you more erudite, as you discover why that novel is held in such high regard (and possibly improve your vocabulary) but it may just kick-start a new enthusiasm for reading.

8. It is a frequently repeated statement that men are singularly bad at visiting their doctor. By and large, men prefer to say nothing and hope that a problem goes away rather than be seen as a hypochondriac or a wuss. But we say this year is the time to change that. Make an appointment for that checkup, even if it is just to confirm that everything’s working the way it should be. The importance of your health cannot be overstated; take one small step to help yourself.

the rest can be found here:

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/entertainment/top-10-new-years-resolutions-all-men-should-make_8.html
sudipbanerjee
Wishing you all a very happy and prosperous new Year. Hope all of your dreams come true in 2014. I will try to make a list of resolutions and make available here.
dxverm
Happy New Year Everyone! America brought it in as expected with Miley Cyrus and Ryan Seacrest!
Afaceinthematrix
deanhills wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Wow, it must be quite hard to run where you are, isn't the humidity very high? Is it safe?

The humidity is awful during the rainy season but now it is the dry season and so we have the other issue of extremely dusty roads. I have to walk around with a bandana around my face just to not have allergies 24/7.

Running would be completely safe. Most of the areas that I work in are small rural villages and people love seeing a white guy and as long as you wave or greet as you go by, they'll love you and watch out for you. Since transportation is so bad here, I purchased a bicycle and have used it to get all over this country (even if I have to bike 75 miles a day for two or three days to get somewhere, it still may be quicker than vehicles that keep breaking down and/or getting stuck in the mud during the rainy season).

There's even an annual marathon, half-marathon, 5k in this country. I won't be ready in time but next year, I will probably do the half-marathon.

I am getting into excellent biking shape but I just hate running. Biking feels much better and is more fun. I get bored while running.
spinout
On telly there are commercials about people making resolutions, and well always there are some third hand companies wanting to make a buck... And I have thought about why I not (yet) have any resolutions, and I have lost it totally. It? Well humanity in a way, there is mostly famine and war in this planet and in places there are wealth there is no humanity or concern for those not having any funds or food. So why should I care?
pravojednostavno
i just want to be happy and healthy, and a little bit stronger this year, and also i want all people around me to be happy Smile
Deline
I pretend to study english and spanish a lot the whole year. Then I want to take the TOEFL and DELE so I can candidate to fellowship programs out of the country. I also want to save money to pay a really expensive course in NYFA (New York Film Academy), probably in 2015.
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
There's even an annual marathon, half-marathon, 5k in this country. I won't be ready in time but next year, I will probably do the half-marathon.

I am getting into excellent biking shape but I just hate running. Biking feels much better and is more fun. I get bored while running.
Strange that you're pushing yourself hard for running, and not liking it, sounds like an enormous sacrifice. Although I guess those are countries where people are born to run and make it to the Olympics. Biking sounds fun, but I can just imagine it being very bumpy and dusty, maybe muddy at times. Like dirt bike riding. 75km, wow, you've got to be super fit!
chartcentral
According to my old computer monitor, he won't have any resolution this new year. He'll still be at 1024 × 768. Smile
Blaster
I don't really believe in new years resolutions. If I put my mind to it I just do it. Doesn't need to be a new year for me to do it. I feel if you wait till new years then its like pushing off something you want to do. So when I put my mind to something I do it then not when a new year comes around. Just my 2 cents.
playfungames
Last year, my resolutions were to give up smoking cigarettes and I was successful. I used to smoke daily before but now I don't. It is been one year already.

This year, I plan to reducing my drinking, finding a job or a secured form of income and saving a large part of that income. I hope I am successful. I might not mind the occasional drinking though.