FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wordpress problem

dude_xyx
I'm having bunch of problems with the wordpress site I have here in my firhost subdomain. I haven't posted in it for a long time. I remember I has so many problems when I tried to upgrade it back in August so I totally gave it up. Today I gave is another try and it upgraded to latest version without a problem but still there major problems.

01) when I try to upgrade themes it says succefully upgraded but when I goto theme page it says same upgrade is still avaliable.

02) I'm getting this error in "Popular tags" when I load plugins page,

Code:
An unexpected error occurred. Something may be wrong with WordPress.org or this server’s configuration. If you continue to have problems, please try the support forums.

when I click popular plugins link it gives me this error,

Code:
An unexpected error occurred. Something may be wrong with WordPress.org or this server’s configuration. If you continue to have problems, please try the support forums.
Try again

Same error when try again

03) Everything in Dashboard loads so slow to me. I checked the site speed using different speed analyzers and all says speed is fine. So it's just the Dashboard not the blog it self.

I don't know in which service my sites are hosted but it has direct admin and Ip is xx.xxx.224.218

Ahhh I just noticed that even thought it said blog was successfully updated it still shows the version is 3.6.1 NOT 3.8. Sad
deanhills
Changing versions in WP is a headache, and of all the solutions I've seen the one that seems to have worked the best is a complete fresh install of WP and all of the Plug-ins .... from scratch. Then to import the content only of the previous WP into the freshly installed WP. That way you should have a completely up to date version of WP with up to date plug-ins that are hopefully happy with one another, and happy with Frihost Server.

I'd go about it in the following way:

1. Make a back-up copy of my Website in cPanel/DirectAdmin and save it to the hard disk of my computer.

2. Check what the settings are in my WP Dashboard and the ones I'd like to use in the freshly installed version. Make a note of them.

3. Then use the WP Dashboard Tools/Export tool to export all of the posts and pages of WP. It will be saved to the hard disk of my computer as an XML file. The video below provides a detailed explanation of how to use the export and import function to move the files. Also what gets exported and what does not get exported. A cool feature of the export tool is that one can dump some of the category posts one doesn't want any more, so one has an opportunity to prune some of the posts.

4. I'd then delete the current WP completely and do a fresh install of the up to date version, together with a fresh install of the plug-ins. I would do this through FTP and the latest version plug-ins through Admin Dashboard. Then test whether everything is working and set myself up as the Admin, also create a name that would appear against the posts to be imported. Probably not a good idea to use Admin, maybe something more unique that would be more difficult to hack. I'd then load my theme completely from scratch. If it's a WP theme, get an up to date version through the WP Dashboard.

5. Then use the Dashboard Tools/Import tool to import the XML file containing all of the posts and pages of the old version WP.

Here is a link to the Video about the Import and Export function. Its value for me is showing a list of that which won't be exported, i.e. themes, plugins, settings, etc and that which will.

http://wpapprentice.com/videos/install-and-configure/import-and-export-wordpress-data/
dude_xyx
When I upgrade the blog like year ago this is what did. doing it trough FTP just because Dashboard was not responsive. But doing it for every upgrade is not so practical. I use like 10 different paid hosting accounts and none has thing problem. Firhost is just like paid hosting service in many ways and quietly wise so I don't understand what's wrong in this server.

Blog loads fast so it's not about the speed. All these problems happen with Dashboard.

But I ll do the FTP thing this time too. Sad
deanhills
dude_xyx wrote:
When I upgrade the blog like year ago this is what did. doing it trough FTP just because Dashboard was not responsive. But doing it for every upgrade is not so practical. I use like 10 different paid hosting accounts and none has thing problem. Firhost is just like paid hosting service in many ways and quietly wise so I don't understand what's wrong in this server.

Blog loads fast so it's not about the speed. All these problems happen with Dashboard.

But I ll do the FTP thing this time too. Sad
Wow, 10 different paid accounts. Can't get a better comparison than that. And yes, it's a mystery when you can do it in those and not at Frihost. Wonder what would be uniquely different for that to happen? Maybe the Server is in need of maintenance?
dude_xyx
Yeah I have 4 VPS and bunch of paid shared hosting packages which I took with various promos like those BlackFriday offers. Paying only $1-$2 per month. It's good when you want to spread your sites. I learned a lot too from these. One of these cheap hosting services doesn't allow Jetpack. So I learned first I should ask them which they allow which they don't.

I think problem here might be related to php functions. Maybe some functions are disabled or restricted. My FirHosting account is older than all my paid hosting accounts. loll
dude_xyx
Used this and now I can upgrade plugins.

Quote:

Download and install this plugin manually: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/core-control/ Once you've activated it, Load the "Core Control" settings page and activate the "HTTP Module". Go to the new tab fore the "HTTP Module" and test cURL. You will most likely receive the following error message "An Error has occured: name lookup timed out" Now click the "Disable Transport" link in for cURL. You should now be able install plugins and plugin updates.

Still dashboard is ultra slow and having connection problems. For example jetpack won't connect with wordpress.com server.
deanhills
Thanks Dude. That's really useful. I've saved this info for future use.

What do you think is the reason for the slow dashboard?
dude_xyx
deanhills wrote:
Thanks Dude. That's really useful. I've saved this info for future use.
What do you think is the reason for the slow dashboard?

I have no idea but after checking forum I found it's just not me. I have no idea on which sever I'm in. It has direct admin not cPanel any idea which one is that ?

Wish someone can do something about sort it out. It really take way too long doing anything in dashboard including posting stuff. I guess the VPS need bit of tweaking to optimize it for Wordpress.
deanhills
Check your Account . Close to the top there's a line on which Server it is. In mine (right from the top) it looks like this:

Quote:
Account details
-Frih$: *******
-Coins: *******
-Name: *******
-Hosted: Yes
-Server: 1 (cPanel)
[etc]
sysna
Wordpress gets really heavy if you have many visitors. And as you are on shared hosting then things can go really slow.

By the way you can check servers status here : http://fh.info.tm/

As i've looked now there is not any sign of overload or slowness in any of servers, so i think it is better to look for some wordpress optimization tips.
Vanilla
I'm on server 2 and I'm having these issues with my dashboard too. I was able to update my Wordpress to the new version ( 3.8 ), but it took forever. The issue doesn't seem to hit my website, only my dashboard. I don't have many visitors but I'll try to use Core Control again to see if I can improve my dash's speed.

UPDATE: After I've updated everything (plugins and themes included, my dash's speed seemed better. So try to update everything to see if it works.
dude_xyx
Vanilla wrote:
I'm on server 2 and I'm having these issues with my dashboard too. I was able to update my Wordpress to the new version ( 3.8 ), but it took forever. The issue doesn't seem to hit my website, only my dashboard. I don't have many visitors but I'll try to use Core Control again to see if I can improve my dash's speed.
UPDATE: After I've updated everything (plugins and themes included, my dash's speed seemed better. So try to update everything to see if it works.

I have just check. I'm server 2 (Server: 2 (DirectAdmin)).

Have you able to update Jetpack ? I'm unable to connect with Wordpress.com server.

Blog itself has no problem. All these problems happen in backend / Dashboard.
Vanilla
dude_xyx wrote:

I have just check. I'm server 2 (Server: 2 (DirectAdmin)).

Have you able to update Jetpack ? I'm unable to connect with Wordpress.com server.

Blog itself has no problem. All these problems happen in backend / Dashboard.

Yes, I have Jetpack installed and it updated just fine. Have you tried Core Control? I remember having the same problem some time ago and I used Core Control to fix it. Give it a try. Very Happy
dude_xyx
Yep I installed Core Control plugin and after that I could upgrade other plugins. Now the problem is connectivity with wordpress.com sever. and still my dashboard is slow too.
Vanilla
dude_xyx wrote:
Yep I installed Core Control plugin and after that I could upgrade other plugins. Now the problem is connectivity with wordpress.com sever. and still my dashboard is slow too.

Try to deactivate all the plugins to see if the problem persists. If your dashboard is faster after that, then reactivate the plugins one by one to see which one caused the slow down. Also you can try working with Jetpack first. I remember having a problem and I wasn't able to deactivate Jetpack. So I deleted the whole plugin folder via FTP and re-installed it manually. It worked after that. Hope it helps. Very Happy