FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Happy Winter Solstice Day!

deanhills
Winter Solstice Day is always a good day for me as it means this is as bad as it gets with short days, now the days will be getting longer. Dancing

Timeanddate.com wrote:

The North Pole is tilted furthest away from the sun at the solstice. (Illustration not to scale)
watersoul
Ah, a couple of minutes more daylight from tomorrow, the recovery begins again...I love the solstice! Smile
standready
watersoul wrote:
Ah, a couple of minutes more daylight from tomorrow, the recovery begins again...I love the solstice! Smile

I agree. Now if only the clouds would let the sun shine through.
watersoul
standready wrote:
Now if only the clouds would let the sun shine through.
I share your sentiments. My optimum 'living' months in the UK are everything in between the Spring equinox and Autumn equinox. As my son is getting closer to adulthood I'm looking forward to working and saving hard in the warm months to enjoy Winters travelling in warm places again...only a few more years to go and miserable weather Winter solstice in the UK is one I'll be able to avoid Smile
Nyasro
Happy Winter Solstice Day!
spinout
oh, finally! Summer is ahead and a lot of driving around in the vintage car and loads of vintage music...
jajarvin
Here's some information about the length of the day in Helsinki today 28.12.2012 ->
    Sun rise: 09:25
    Sun set: 15:18
    Length of Day: 5 h 53 min

The length of this day is really a short one. But last summer the situation was different:
    Date: Friday 28 June 2013
    The sun rise: 3:58
    The sun set: 22:48
    Length of Day: 18 hours 50 minutes

So the length of day was 12 h 57 min longer than today.
watersoul
Ooh, your days are loads shorter than mine right now!
Sunrise was at 08:14 and sunset 16:17 today, here on the SW coast of England - 8 hrs 3 minutes of daylight. I would be soooooo miserable with only 5 or 6 hrs! Shocked
Peterssidan
I missed this thread. I'm happy that the days are going to be longer from now on but so far I haven't noticed any difference.

I really should try to wake up earlier and do stuff before lunch/dinner. Right now I'm too lazy and end up running in darkness.
jajarvin
watersoul wrote:
I would be soooooo miserable with only 5 or 6 hrs! Shocked

In northern Finland, an even shorter day -->
    City of Rovaniemi (about 750 kilometers north of Helsinki)
    Date: Saturday, 28 December 2013
    The sun rises 11:05
    The sun sets 13:34
    Length of day 2 hours 29 minutes