FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What genre of music do you think everyone is into nowadays?

idolztheunknown
Many people are saying the world went totally rap. Some say rock. What's your opinion?
hac
Rap and Hip-Hop, that's what's hot thses dayz. 20 yers ago it was rock, then came pop and now its Rap. No doubt about that!
Rafe
Rap Hip-Hop, Pop, Mellow Rock.
Look at the success of all those rap/hip hop groups (black eyed peas). Look at Gwen Stefani+ Fallout Boy+ Franz Ferdinand. Look at coldplay.
SunburnedCactus
It's all been retro garage rock of late (i.e. The Jam circa 1980). Nice to see some guitars, but all very derivative and boring.

I demand a renaissance of Techno-Gabba-Hardcore-Baroque music!

Like Bach gone bezerk!
Mark999111
hac wrote:
Rap and Hip-Hop, that's what's hot thses dayz. 20 yers ago it was rock, then came pop and now its Rap. No doubt about that!

ha, ask everyone on this board for example. About 80% would chose rock over rap
Adrenalin
Well... In my opinion it's definitely guitar-played music, but I'll not say if it's rock, metal or whatever... just hate labeling music - don't label it, listen it!
mtoni
For us guys back here in Holland:

Rap, Dance and Hip Hop
ddukki
A lot of people I know like soft rock or acoustic music ... in Texas. It's kind of nice, really. The majority is still rock, but my friends are getting into more mellow music.
LuiS_J
reggaeton Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
tingkagol
Hiphop/RnB is "what's hot" these days, definitely. Take a look at the billboard charts. Almost 90% of the top 100 singles are hiphop/RnB tracks, the remaining 10% are rock and pop.

Rock is a minority. The whole emo/screamo/whatever music scene is extremely popular with stereotypes, "rocker" cliques & chicks, and other dudes who think they're cool. I personally think rock is getting too childish these days--- in fact nowadays, mainstream music, as a whole, is all too obviously marketed for teens.
Helios
Rap/Hip-Hop.. and of course Pop.
Josso
In the world??? that's very hard to say... I can tell you probably like the UK is pop, RnB at the moment (unfortunatly).
knottyboy
i think its hardcore.. a lot of kids now are mostly listening to hardcore death metal.. i mean it totally rocks.. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil there is no space for pop music now a days.. hehe Smile
splitunion
I think crunk is gonna take over (but that's just my opinion).... At the moment I have to say rap/hiphop top the charts in the current teenage generation from what I've seen.
H3LL5P4WN
Bling-bling Hip-hop and Poppunk.

You can split every 'trendy' out there into one of those groups. Emo and emocore are on the rise though, as much of the crowds at the more 'traditional' metal, punk, and hardcore shows I go to dress and act like that, which is kinda sad, because punk was always about non-conformity.

Michale Graves got it right on his new cd's title track, "Punk Rock is Dead" (roughly):

I gotta dress like you, hey you look like me.
Delta
I would definitly have to say Rap music. I think Rap just really hit mainstrea. I know it was out for years, but did you ever see so much popularity for it?

In my highschool, the biggest music is either Ska or Rap. So few people that I have met in that school like Metal music. Or 80's for that matter. These days either you're a 'gangsta' or a 'Ska kid'. No more 'Metal-Heads' or anything. I think television brought all of the genres to high fame though. (MTv) I mean do you think Pop, New-Wave, Metal, etc. would've been popular without it?

Well, this is my opinion, there is no need to really argue about it.
jarred89
RAP SUCKS!!! Rock and Pop ROCK!!!!
l4zy
Rap and Hip-hop is undoubtedly the most IN thing atm.... Metal is good for a change , but IMO pop is OUT!
3shades
different people like different things, its always been like that, and always will be,

people say everyone likes rap at the moment, but thats not true, pop is still very popular and rock is growing more popular by the day,

overall i think trends and fashions will change, but in the end its everyone's own choice.

ben,

http://3shades.frih.net

http://www.3shades.tk
H3LL5P4WN
They do. If you're astute, you'll notice that the same crowd that were into boy bands a few years ago, are now into pop-punk bands. Not just the kids of the appropriate age group, but people who actually used to listen to boy bands and thier ilk.

Rolling Eyes
pacificstorm
lol.. to me is rap and pop.. haa...
GW_Addict
3shades wrote:
different people like different things, its always been like that, and always will be,

people say everyone likes rap at the moment, but thats not true, pop is still very popular and rock is growing more popular by the day,

overall i think trends and fashions will change, but in the end its everyone's own choice.

ben,

Man do I hope you are right. I grew up on 80's music (rock mostly) and love it. To me Rap and Hip-Hop barely (if at all) classifies as music. To each his own I suppose. Regardless of what I think (and I truly hate Rap and Hip-Hop) unfortunantly most on this post are correct when they say it is the most "in" style of music right now.

One thing I find interesting is that what I used to refer to as techno or dance mixes is now often referred to as 'Disco' in Europe. Totally different from the meaning of the old 50's and 60's 'Disco' in America. :)
Jasna
jarred89 wrote:
RAP SUCKS!!! Rock and Pop ROCK!!!!

Eh, not that I like rap myself, but let's try not to offend any people who do, 'kay? =/

Anyway, as was mentioned several times, it's more rock, punk-rock and rap that it is "in." Emo is coming pretty strong too despite all of those people who claim Emo sucks but still listen to it anyway.

But whatever. I never really was into the "mainsteam" stuff. *huggles her classical, indie and Japanese CDs*
splitunion
I grew up on hiphop.... to me it's more than just music, it's life. It's something I can relate to so maybe that's why I appreciate it a bit more than some of you here. I'm happy that it's gotten as popular as it has.... but it would've been nicer if it was this popular when NWA, Public Enemy and Run DMC were around. That way the message would've gotten out that they wanted to be heard.... These days I listen to crunk more than anything but every now and then I do go into my old tape case and take out my old school tapes. Anyone who listens to it could probably see the struggle that was real at the time, unless they were 'on the other side of the tracks'. I will admit that these days a lot of hiphop is a lie, but it wasn't always like that so I still respect it. Crunk is a great type of music, and I noticed that nobody on here's mentioned it. But maybe it's just a southern thing. Really, no matter what music you listen to, you gotta remember that it all branched and evolved from the same thing. I've always said that music is one of the best things we've created for ourselves as a whole but the diversity we put in it is a shame.
XSTG
I think (and sadly) that nowadays, the music going on the most is probably hard rock....

I'm strange: i love classical and pop ^^ Boo hoo!

If only we could go back to the good ole discos!!!

Cool Razz

That at least had rhytm.
YMCA forever.
SilverDogg
id say the music that is in right now is: CRAP!

everywhere i go there it is. shitty, crappy, worthless music -_-. people have absolutely NO taste at all!
k-9fx
I listen to both rock and urban music but I prefer rock. Although some people mix rock with urban which is cool.
seanooi
I'm more into sentimental, as I'm always alone overseas. Friends you say? Nah, I su*k at socializing. Very Happy
splitunion
SilverDogg wrote:
id say the music that is in right now is: CRAP!

everywhere i go there it is. shitty, crappy, worthless music -_-. people have absolutely NO taste at all!

How is it that you can say people have no taste in music, or in anything. Really it's just an opinion. If you don't like it than that's your opinion, and to them, maybe it's you who has bad taste. And honestly if you want your opinion to be considered by anyone, present it intelligently. Negative or not. With your wording it sounds more like you're just trying to be rude and offensive. I'm sure many more people would be interested in what you think if you expressed yourself properly.
Oh and a little tip: If you don't like the music, change the station.
Who knows, it just may solve your problem of hearing it all the time. Even though to me it sounds more like you're reffering to a paticular song.
splitunion
seanooi wrote:
I'm more into sentimental, as I'm always alone overseas. Friends you say? Nah, I su*k at socializing. Very Happy

Sentimental. Is that an actual genre? I'm not being sarcastic or anything, just unfamiliar with the term being anymore than a feeling. About the socializing thing, I cant relate, sorry. But then again, I'm an extremely outspoken individual. I tend to draw attention to myself with random speeches. I like speaking to large crowds.
xxbabygirlxx
rock and punk for sure even tho i think it's totally overrated..now all i see are the wannabe punks which is kinda sad Rolling Eyes
burzum
everybody around me seems to hear dance,trance and pop things, just whats on T.V and what is promoted.... which isn't neccesary good
Frelina
Well, I think, it's rap & punk-rock Rolling Eyes and pop-music is very popular now
please.be.quiet
most of the people i know are into the mainstream indie stuff, haha, oxymoron. but mainstream indie as in the shins, and rilo kiley and stuff. it's indie but everyone knows about it. i on the other hand listen to indie pop, "twee" as most people call it. the lyrics are cute and catchy and barely anyone has ever heard of the stuff before. i hate it when bands i like get all popular, they completely change their sound *cough*bloodbrothers*cough*.
tuncadogus
Pop,R&B and slow