FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What after XP?

jajarvin
Microsoft's support for XP ends next spring.

What shall I do?

Move to Linux or continue to use Windows's new versions?
Josso
I have moved my latest build to win7, some interface stuff has improved but then again I have sound issues now which I am convinced has been partially caused by the convoluted sound interface on 7, I actually have to move some of my projects back to either XP or a linux distro on another machine. Do you buy computers with preinstalled OS? If so be careful because M$ is stopping people from dual booting now. I would say win7/fedora dual boot might be a good alternative for you.
badai
if you are not getting new computer, you could continue using it with good antivirus. people are still using windows 98 and 2000 out there. nobody die or anything.
rx9876
badai wrote:
if you are not getting new computer, you could continue using it with good antivirus. people are still using windows 98 and 2000 out there. nobody die or anything.

Most old computers can't afford new Windows OS.

My PC is Intel i5 2.7 / 2G RAM, and it's performance is very poor in WIN 7,
so I still use WIN XP.
SpaceInvader75
I wrote in my blog about my cheap computer, that came with XP.

If I upgrade it, I have to upgrade the whole motherboard, so I will have to buy another copy of Windows. I need to upgrade the motherboard, because my motherboard only supports a single core CPU. Of course, even if I don't upgrade it, I will not have support for XP soon.

I could buy another used computer with Vista (I don't really like Vista) or newer Windows.

I could try running Linux. I don't know if Linux will do everything I want to do.

I guess those are my only options.
RoylanM
You should get windows new versions, but it's sad because people might lose tons of data.
msfarsa
hy jajarvin, in technology world you may need to keep yourself updated. So keep using continue to new window and enjoy it, not restricted yourself in just xp.
dxverm
I would stick with upgrading to windows 7, I love XP but hate Vista/8. Windows 7 is the less of the great evils and you can always dual boot linux Smile
aayushsrivastava14
rx9876 wrote:
badai wrote:

Most old computers can't afford new Windows OS.

My PC is Intel i5 2.7 / 2G RAM, and it's performance is very poor in WIN 7,
so I still use WIN XP.

For older PCs there are many light-weight linux distros. You can run DSL (Damn Small Linux) even on Pentium 1! But I would recommend you to try one of the puppy linux. They are light-weight but support many latest softwares. I use Lucid puppy 528 which can download apps from Ubuntu reposits.

Visit: http://puppylinux.org
aayushsrivastava14
jajarvin wrote:

What shall I do?

If your PC is old then use Linux else i would say, you should upgrade to Windows 7. NEVER upgrade to Windows 8, its just too absurd.
Marcuzzo
badai wrote:

I agree with Badai, If you are not getting new hardware then there's no point in spending that amount of money on an OS that will most likely not even run properly on it.

IMO Windows XP is a good OS, have a look at this site. I used it back in the day to customize my XP installation.
I started with an install disk of XP with Service Pack 1 and slipstreamed Service Pack 2 in it when released and at the end I even added SP3 to it, if you need drivers, just add them to the installation disk as described on that site and you'll be fine.

This way, if you notice something funny or suspect a virus... pop in the disk, reboot, hit F8 ( or whatever brings up your boot selection screen) and install from disk. and walk away... in a few hours you've got a fresh installation. Very Happy

just make sure that you've got the latest updates. at the moment the countdown clock is showing 37 days, 21 hours and 2 minutes. grab all the updates you can and dump them in your installation.

after you've created your Ultimate XP disk make sure to get a good Anti Virus installed and keep it updated.

that's the problem with OS's that are no longer updated, eventually somebody will find a hole in the system and exploit it.
I think that most virus makers will be targeting larger companies and those are running on W8, 7 but working at an IT company that provides service to a lot of customer I still see a lot of our customers running on legacy software like XP.

I've been blabbing too much already. so, these are your options in a nutshell:

1. Get all the updates you can for XP and if you want to invest time in it make an unattended install disk.
2. Invest time in getting a linux distro up and running on your machine.
( if you are going this way I recommend Debian )
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
badai wrote:

I agree with Badai, If you are not getting new hardware then there's no point in spending that amount of money on an OS that will most likely not even run properly on it.

IMO Windows XP is a good OS, have a look at this site. I used it back in the day to customize my XP installation.
I started with an install disk of XP with Service Pack 1 and slipstreamed Service Pack 2 in it when released and at the end I even added SP3 to it, if you need drivers, just add them to the installation disk as described on that site and you'll be fine.

This way, if you notice something funny or suspect a virus... pop in the disk, reboot, hit F8 ( or whatever brings up your boot selection screen) and install from disk. and walk away... in a few hours you've got a fresh installation. Very Happy

just make sure that you've got the latest updates. at the moment the countdown clock is showing 37 days, 21 hours and 2 minutes. grab all the updates you can and dump them in your installation.

after you've created your Ultimate XP disk make sure to get a good Anti Virus installed and keep it updated.

that's the problem with OS's that are no longer updated, eventually somebody will find a hole in the system and exploit it.
I think that most virus makers will be targeting larger companies and those are running on W8, 7 but working at an IT company that provides service to a lot of customer I still see a lot of our customers running on legacy software like XP.

I've been blabbing too much already. so, these are your options in a nutshell:

1. Get all the updates you can for XP and if you want to invest time in it make an unattended install disk.
2. Invest time in getting a linux distro up and running on your machine.
( if you are going this way I recommend Debian )
Thanks Marcuzzo. What a wonderful find. I love my Windows XP and was wondering what to do with it too after the MS Deadline Date in April. Will start working on this right away.
loveandormoney
jajarvin wrote:

What shall I do?

Move to Siduction.
This is the best and the most easy way.
Marcuzzo
loveandormoney wrote:
Move to Siduction.

I've read about this one a few year ago when it was first released.
I tried to stick with the stable branches of debian because I needed the stability... this is a distro based on the Unstable branch of debian... meh..

If I ever have to try another distro then Debian I will definitely try SliTaz.
I've tried it a few times as a live cd and this thing boots up fast. ( real fas' )
loveandormoney
What is my experience with Slitaz?
fast
easy
But problems with install. There is a Slitaz community like Siduction community
who can help You around the clock.
telseq
jajarvin wrote:

What shall I do?

I think Linux is the future, open source is the future!
zimmer
jajarvin wrote:

What shall I do?

Yes, this April of 2014 Windows XP is ran out of support. I thing windows 7 is the best next to windows XP.

I have heard windows 8.1 but most of my application still wont work or there are needs adjustment to make it run.
Blummer
I see no other way, but switching to w7. I guess the support for that one will also end in a few years, but it's quite stable. Rolling Eyes
amagard
I read an article on heise.de yesterday ( in German ) saying that one month prior to end of support of Windows xp it still runs on 29 % of all PC's.
There are probably many people out there who really don't care. And xp will not stop working after April 8th ! Also Microsoft promised to continue antimalware support for Windows XP.
loveandormoney
telseq wrote:
jajarvin wrote:

What shall I do?

I think Linux is the future, open source is the future!

The future is Linux. Much better then win
and You have a lot of choices.
But many people use win because of corel or other tools.
So if You want to buy a new win
then buy win 7
or
the follower of win 8.

Vista and win 8 are not so goot.
amagard
Just read in another article on heise.de that almost all teller machines in Germany still run with Windows 2000 or xp !
Shocked
Marcuzzo
loveandormoney wrote:
The future is Linux.

The future are Tablets...

loveandormoney wrote:
The future is Linux. Much better then win

I've had more system crashes on my linux machines then on my windows machine.
In fact I've never had a crash or BSOD on any of my windows machines.

loveandormoney wrote:
and You have a lot of choices.

x-times the more confusion for most users.

loveandormoney wrote:
Vista and win 8 are not so goot.

This is something I've heard a lot. mostly coming from people that don't have any idea why Vista and 8 are bad.
people were used to XP and all of a sudden their directory structure changed, explorer looks a little different... enter the Microsoft Ribbon ( which can be found on 90% of the professional applications nowadays)
dude_xyx
I have Windows 8 in my Laptop and I'm not so fond of it. I think it's better for those Tabs with touch screens rather than computers with keyboard and mouse. I have Windows XP in my Desktop machine and wondering I should go for Windows 7 or 8. I think it's time to upgrade not because I found anything wrong with the operating system but seems new software have started skipping windows XP already.
loveandormoney
amagard wrote:
Just read in another article on heise.de that almost all teller machines in Germany still run with Windows 2000 or xp !
Shocked

Sure. We ourselves use old WIN offline.
But offline.
Offline it is no problem to use win xp for 20 years more.
The problem is only if You use Your machine online.
Offline You can use dos 5.0.
Regards
loveandormoney
amagard wrote:
Shocked

Sure. We ourselves use old WIN offline.
But offline.
Offline it is no problem to use win xp for 20 years more.
The problem is only if You use Your machine online.
Offline You can use dos 5.0.
Regards
Da Rossa
Windows 7, then Windows 9. Windows 8.1 is good, but still has some annoying problems about stability and compatibility. Drivers are not fully functional and gaming does make the cassis heat. I don't know why.
zimmer
Blummer wrote:
I see no other way, but switching to w7. I guess the support for that one will also end in a few years, but it's quite stable. Rolling Eyes

Yes, windows 7 is very nice operating system.
burgerbelly
Agreed, Microsoft Windows 7 is a good alternative and is a very stable operating system. Unfortunately, the operating system may not run on a Windows xp system because of the slower hardware typically on these systems.
cabenqc
Win7 & Win8 will take XP market share, I guess.
Linux OS will not take over Win OS market share of client desktop/notebook market.
at least the next 5 years. New PC/Notebook pre-installed OS is one of good indicators.
Personally, I use a lot Linux OS for client and server as well WinOS.
I love/like Linux/Unix a lot.
I think Linux OS is quite popular for server machines, because it's free and powerful.
Linux OS for client machines is mature but not popular, sadly. Crying or Very sad
Even I won't suggest companies or my friends to use Linux OS client machines for business or daily use, due to support and compatibility issues. If they can support themselves, that's fine.
Just my personal opinion.
Da Rossa
Just to mention: I gave Windows 8.1 a fifth try and, finally, it seems to be working fine now!!
LxGoodies
Da Rossa wrote:
I gave Windows 8.1 a fifth try

Five times reinstalled or used ? wtf happened ? I upgraded 8 to 8.1 no sweat.. it works fine Smile better than I expected.. NVIDIA solved the driver problems, so I put the card in last week. NP.
Da Rossa
I was trying to like Windows 8 since consumer preview back in 2012. I installed in my laptop and I liked it. However, in my main desktop, I always had a handful of problems, from non-existent device drivers (which led to heating) and some incompatibilities, reaching as bad as blue screen issues. Not to mention that general feeling that productivity wasn't 100%. So I kept downgrading to Windows 7 after a two or three-month period of tryouts.

But now I'm here, in attempt #5 , because I have faith in Microsoft Very Happy So far so good!
bioinfo_lcs
jajarvin wrote:

What shall I do?

I think win7 is great after xp, but win8 and others are rubbish.
I also think MS is not a great country now.
They have many year experiences for office.
However, office is still not stable...
RosenCruz
I still use XP and Office 2003 both at home and office
ademta
According to my experience I was using Xp earlier and I decided to move to linux and I tested various linux distributions and my search ended with Debian Linux which is very stable.

However, to users who are new to linux, I would recommend starting with Ubuntu because it is easy to use and does not require command line use for getting things done.

I personally us Debian and I have installed Ubuntu on my friends laptops and they are comfortable with it, when they saw that window and ubuntu makes no difference when things can be done in Linux/Debian/Ubuntu.

So, I would suggest to go for linux and give it a try and I say that you will surely like it.
Insanity
I think there's a lot of unwarranted hate towards Windows 8, because although it has had it's problems in the past, there really isn't anything to hate it for. Sure, it's geared towards mobile and tablets, but it's still a pretty usable and fast interface for PC users as well. It takes some getting used to, but it is still much faster, responsive, and includes more features than its predecessor. I don't think that there's anything wrong with staying with Windows 7, because it is still a very good operating system, but I don't think there should be so much hate towards Windows 8. I suggest you try it, and you might like it. You can turn off certain features you don't like or include features that were missing (e.g. the Start menu button).
deanhills
The part I hate is that I'm not part of the mobile and tablet crowd. Windows 8 has been designed with a different purpose than what I need it for. It's like MS Office. Creating bells, whistles and tools periodically that are completely different to what it was before so much so that one has to relearn all of the steps, just to fit in with a new marketing trend that has no benefits for you. To the contrary, as there may also be missing elements detrimental to you. The waste of time associated with that is irritating to say the least.

Similar with the banking system that has been designed to suit bankers more than "we the people". So someone then says "wow" we're lucky. We have a banking system. As though the banking system is providing a service for very little in return. The banking system as it is today is defrauding and cheating people out of their money in the name of "security" and purely out of greed for a very small percentage super wealthy of the world. When last has any one been able to talk to their Bank Manager - most of the managers have disappeared into invisible ivory towers on top floors of fancy high rise banking corporations. IT is moving into the exact same direction. A few large corporations creaming it in at our expense and then someone saying but aren't we lucky. We have these wonderful corporations giving us all these nice tools, sorting out all of our problems. We should be grateful for it. They work well. In the meanwhile we're starting to lose the one freedom after the other as we become more and more roped in by the fantasy of it all.
mrkk
I personally never found an issue with Windows Vista. In my defense, I had almost no software installed on the computer, and kept it very clean and orderly. I think most computers run better without cluttered software. Every couple of years (or months), it's good to make a backup of your hard drive(s), zero them out, and reinstall the operating system. I was never a fan of the "Metro" design that is a part of Windows 8, although Windows 7, I've heard, is rather good.
ra-dio
I found very interesting alternative for Windows XP, take a look at this: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/mint-xfce
Blummer
mrkk wrote:
I personally never found an issue with Windows Vista. In my defense, I had almost no software installed on the computer, and kept it very clean and orderly. I think most computers run better without cluttered software.

Now I think Vista was not very unstable. It was just about resources Vista was literally fressing and I've noticed that on quite many computers at that time. But I still encounter PCs with that system installed, which means - yeah, it may be enough for some of the users.
Da Rossa
Guys, on the topic title: what after XP: Windows 10!
I'm using it, and so far, so good. Good experience, and people from Windows 7 will love it much more than would love Windows 8/8.1.