FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DirectAdmin and Cpanel are not the same thing?

boinsterman
Are DirectAdmin and Cpanel the same thing? Someone told me that on some Frihost servers Cpanel is used for website admin while DirectAdmin is used on the others? I do not recall being given a choice. I was just assigned server space and thought Cpanel had gotten an update. So far it is not a problem, but I read on the forums some instructions intended for Cpanel users (and some intended for DirectAdmin users?) and one does not necessarily work for the other. Also, some users might be unaware of the difference.
dxverm
Cpanel and DirectAdmin are two different Control Panels, currently only Server 1 has Cpanel. You can't request a server, it is random/depends on resources. Most of the general tutorials for Cpanel will apply to DirectAdmin, the only difference is DirectAdmin is slimmed down and very basic and easy to use.
Nick2008
They're two different control panels for web hosting. Both DirectAdmin and cPanel have the resources you need to host almost any kind of website. It ultimately comes down to user preference, as dxverm stated DirectAdmin is easy to use and more "slimmed down" but even then it still does a lot of what cPanel can do.

The server you were assigned to determines whether you will be using DirectAdmin or cPanel.
boinsterman
I just noticed the CPanel/DirectAdmin tutorials sticky. Dumb me. Embarassed I'll check out the DirectAdmin sites later.

It sounds like DirectAdmin is better for most people? My own needs at the moment are fairly simple. Simple is good. But Cpanel likely has some advanced features that would be useful to some people?
k_s_baskar
varieties of control panel available in market to manage hosting accounts. Cpanel / DirectAdmin both are reliable and famous control panels used by most of paid hosting providers.
deanhills
k_s_baskar wrote:
varieties of control panel available in market to manage hosting accounts. Cpanel / DirectAdmin both are reliable and famous control panels used by most of paid hosting providers.
True. Both are OK however I prefer cPanel as DirectAdmin has problems with blocking IPs and I move in an unstable IP community. DirectAdmin is not as sophisticated as cPanel, nor has as much documentation as easily available to research issues.
RosenCruz
Direct Admin is lite. Simple.

However, cPanel really is an industry standart nowadays. Btw, I believe we are using an outdated version of DA here. Latest DA looks great, responsive and modern Wink