FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I'm interested in / I have an interest in

Peterssidan
Is there a difference between saying "I'm interested in computers" and "I have an interest in computers".

I don't think there is much of a difference but I'm not sure. I think "I have an interest in" has a bit more commercial touch to it, like maybe I'm interested in computers because of my job. Is that about right? If so, should I prefer saying "I'm interested in" when talking about something I like to do as a hobby?
zacky
Yes your right, there is nothing much difference between the two except the impact to each personality your talking to.

Every people have their own judgement depending on the word usage.

For me the keyword "I have " vs "I am" or "I have" vs "I'm" is already clear what is the difference. "I have" sounds like you have too many options and one of them is the one your referring to which is computer in your example.

While on the other hand, "I am" or "I'm" already pointed and referring to yourself claiming whatever the words follow to it which is again base on the example is computer.

Hopes this helps. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ankhanu
There is a mild difference in connotation of intensity, though it's certainly not formal.
I have an interest in can convey a slightly higher degree of intensity, there is a deep interest, while I am interested in can convey a more superficial interest. For example, someone who has an interest in computers might explore that interest in the form of pursuing computer science, while someone who's interested in computers might just build their own system from parts they buy through a retailer.

This is in no way an actual division, but just one of impression. Technically, both are correct and are interchangeable.