FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Replacing Laptop's Motherboard?

zacky
I have an old laptop at home and I really like it having "sentimental" values. Now to skip the drama, it is kinda a slow and all I can run from it is an light weight version of Ubuntu which is Lubuntu. Opening browser having 5 tabs in it while as well running some browser plugins will make you freeze and get stuck and only option is to reboot.

Specs is:

- Core 2 duo 2.0 Ghz
    -3 GB RAM
    -320 HDD
    -On board Graphics Memory

and laptop model is: Aspire 6930g 17 inch.

Now I wonder if I could replace the motherboard so I can aswell upgrade it's components as far as I know, you cannot put incompatible devices in your MOBO.

Thanks in advance guys and would appreciate your response.
Ankhanu
Part of the difficulty with replacing and upgrading laptop motherboards is that there isn't a standard form factor for either the board or the body/chassis. You'd need to do a LOT of research to find out what boards will fit in the case, and have all the ports (display out, USB, audio, power in, etc.) line up with those in your case.

Just upgrading your RAM and HDD are a snap, but the CPU may be integrated with the board, not a discrete chip. If this is the case, you need to upgrade the whole board to upgrade the CPU.
zacky
Ankhanu wrote:
Part of the difficulty with replacing and upgrading laptop motherboards is that there isn't a standard form factor for either the board or the body/chassis. You'd need to do a LOT of research to find out what boards will fit in the case, and have all the ports (display out, USB, audio, power in, etc.) line up with those in your case.

Just upgrading your RAM and HDD are a snap, but the CPU may be integrated with the board, not a discrete chip. If this is the case, you need to upgrade the whole board to upgrade the CPU.

Yeah I realize already the hard work I need to invest if I push this idea. The reason of posting this question is to know if there are people out there already tried to do it so I won't reinvent the wheel. Anyway I'll still push this and post it here once done and successful. So other people would benefit same thing with me.
telseq
zacky wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

Yeah I realize already the hard work I need to invest if I push this idea. The reason of posting this question is to know if there are people out there already tried to do it so I won't reinvent the wheel. Anyway I'll still push this and post it here once done and successful. So other people would benefit same thing with me.

Also it meight not be working properly!