FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iPods Good or Bad?

supersonic
I wanted to know what people think of the apple iPod and if they would reccommed getting one. I hear that they are really good. But I wanted to ask for some peoples opinions. And what versions would you say are the best?
idolztheunknown
iPods are one of the best electronics EVER invented. I have an iPod mini so far, but plan on getting the real thing sooner or later! I guess the mini has to go bye bye on ebay . . . .
photon
i just got the nano a few days back and im absoultely loving it!! the only issue i got is the battery life, but its design and ease of use makes it a non issue!!
bananaphone
ipods are not good.............................................................
........................................................................................
........................................................................................
.........................................................................................
.................................................................................
they are bloody FANTASTIC!!!!

they are the coolest things ever

i have a 10GB 3rd generation - you can get them from under $100 on ebay.
Empire
supersonic wrote:
I wanted to know what people think of the apple iPod and if they would reccommed getting one. I hear that they are really good. But I wanted to ask for some peoples opinions. And what versions would you say are the best?

The Brand new version of the IPod Nano Is the best!!!! It holds 15,000 songs!! 25,000 pictures!! AND 150 HOURS OF VIDEO!!!!!! YAY!! Im going to get one!!!!!
SunburnedCactus
I think I'll stick with my Creative Zen Sleek, thank you very much. It's just as good as any iPod and you don't have to use *shudder* iTunes.
Empire
SunburnedCactus wrote:
I think I'll stick with my Creative Zen Sleek, thank you very much. It's just as good as any iPod and you don't have to use *shudder* iTunes.

lol I think the new nano is about like 600* USD

*Suggestions this is a estamate does anyone know the exact price?
davmcmul
I'm a big fat ipod hater, so if you love your ipod please ignore what follows.....

ipods are not good, and if you buy them to for the image, you are even worse... There exists many, many devices which are much much better than the ipod, for instance my own creative zen touch, it stores more than a 20 GB ipod, it takes more file formats, its MUCH more reliable (oh, is that a scratch on your ipod? got it last week did you? oops i dropped my zen touch, again, yeah i've had it for a year now, not the slightest scratch and no crashes!")

I can't stress this enough, the ipod is not a good player, it looks like a good player, if you really do listen to music, if you want to have high quality music, if you want longer battery life, if you want something that won't break for years, if you want ONE WHOLE BUTTON dedicated to random (you heard me, just hit this button and you get a random selection of your entire library), then stay away from the ipod, it won't do any of those things.

if you think the ipod is smaller, get real, alllll of these players will fit quite easily into your pocket, so what's the difference?

if you think the ipods interface (the buttons) is easier to use, get real, you will get used to any interface.....

if you think the ipod looks pretty, look at how easily scratched your friends ipod is (no joke, they scratch 10 times easier than fruit bruises)

ok, i think my rant is finished, for now....
Grimboy
I don't have an mp3 player but I agree with the guy above. Why is there all this brand loyalty around the iPod? So can everyone get into their heads:

You're in the iPod adverts just because you have an iPod.
rapidfire
i saw the new ipod nano.. i think i can put it in my wallet Very Happy however, with all technology, i need money to buy thus if anyone likes ipods and want me to have one.. send me $$ Very Happy
Empire
If some one gives me 1,000,000 frih$ then I will give you an IPod Nano!!! but that's 1 million frih$

btw I'm joking!!!! lol lol lol lol lol!!!
LeviticusMky
An ipod is a marketing success, that's all.

They are a mediocre player wrapped in a sleek and shiny shell. You will end up paying an extra 10-50% for the LOOK over a player that has better functionality.
HimuraKiyone
To be sure the iPod is a wonder. But they do sractch easily. Mine had a scratch on the screen 1 day after I bought it. You know what? I put it in a case. No more scratches. It really depends on what you use your iPod for. I mostly use mine in the car on 2 hour commutes. I need a lot of space for music and I don't caree as much for how small or light it is. I like the options for connectability. You can't decide to hook many other players up to radios, tvs, cars. It can show photos. The other players that do this don't hold as much for the same price. Also, it has a real hard drive not an unreliable flash drive. You don't have to use iTunes with te iPod. I choose to use it because of the 49GB of music I own. But the iPod can also be used for other purposes, like storage. You can also run other software and OS on it.
I have not had any problems with my iPod. I have a 60GB Photo.
zakpak23
I have an IPod mini, i got it about 4 months ago. I really like it, although sometimes the clickwheel freezes up and then I get angry. But that might be because I've dropped it a few times. The worst part about iPods is iTunes, i absolutly hate iTunes. I was really angry when the Ipod Nano came out just after I bought mine, but after hearing about how the screen gets scratched way to easily, I am happy.
Donutey
yes ipods are slick, sleek, and small... but you repay that in lack of durability, i've had two friends either drop, or crush an original ipod, thus ruining a $300 investment... the other thing is that they are THE target for thieves... and... itunes needs to be more friendly with other players... but other than that... Rolling Eyes
steveadams617
One of the problems with ipod is that it is linked to one computer where all your music files are. You can't download stuff at work and add it to your ipod then go home and add more. I'm sure there are ways around this, but out of the box it's how it works. It's Apple's attempt to prevent you from going over to a friend's house and dumping all his/her tunes onto your ipod.

Winamp has an ipod extention you can download to get around itunes
FlOw
The Nano is good but don't leave it in your pocket to long or else it will get scratched to easy. I would recommend getting an iPod video.
Jiltedcitizen
I have an ipod mini. I hate it. I had software troubles from the start. I dropped it and had even more. I dropped it a 2nd time and the click wheel broke. The only reason I got it was becaseu of audible.com support. If the zen mini had that I'd have not got an ipod. The headphones are rubbish. Won't even fit in my ear. As the others say Itunes has issues. Apple definitely has quality assurance problems, first with battery problems, then scratched screens who knows what else. Besides ipods are way over priced. You can get a comparible device for cheaper. They do look slick though.
Ping
Jiltedcitizen wrote:
I have an ipod mini. I hate it. I had software troubles from the start. I dropped it and had even more. I dropped it a 2nd time and the click wheel broke. The only reason I got it was becaseu of audible.com support. If the zen mini had that I'd have not got an ipod. The headphones are rubbish. Won't even fit in my ear. As the others say Itunes has issues. Apple definitely has quality assurance problems, first with battery problems, then scratched screens who knows what else. Besides ipods are way over priced. You can get a comparible device for cheaper. They do look slick though.

In actual fact i love the moni WAY more than the nanno *shudders*
the nano is well...crap. The screen scratches too easily and well as i said... I dont know why people rave about them!
Give me a decen 30 gig ipod anyway
DJHicks
Ipods are crap and always have been!

ive sed it since day one and with recent issuses with them my opinions have been nothing but reinforced!!

Not only is there the issue with battery life and the fact that it has been confirmed the batteries degrade so much u'll have to purchase a whole new ipod as the batteries are not replacable....

but theres issues with ipods freezing and not switching off... so u have to leave it till the battery runs out and therefore turns off.. then recharge for it to work again!

many issues with itunes... like a few friends have lost their entire collections of mp3s... how im not usre but as its happened to a fare few people it cant be through stupidity!

one of my friends had his ipod for about 3 weeks and used it normally etc... but all the rubber was comin off and some of the plastic was flacking off.. well could have been paint.. not too sure...

i know the headfones u get with most cd players/mp3 players are crap but wen u've paid 300 for one u expect something of a fairly high standard not cheap tat!

ipod = rubbish as far as im concerned!

in all honesty i like using my psp, it has movies, games and of course mp3's!!
kuad
iPods are more like trendy status symbols than also happens to play music. So it's kinda like a bonus for people who buy iPods that it can play music. Laughing

From what I've seen, iPods are also generally more expensive than an equivalent player from a different brand, so I'd rather get something cheaper without the many problems that seems to plague iPods, as has been noted in some posts above.
kennyq3a
I have a 20Gig iPod and I must say I love it. It is one of the older generations without a color LCD, but why would you pay the extra money just to go color and be able to view pictures. It is a waste. The only other new option I would like is the 4Gig iPod nano, but the 2gb is too small. The older 20gigs sell for around $100US on ebay.
Patrick
iPods are great, i have a ipod nano myself, but i wouldn't recomend other to buying one. It has poor battery capacity and have a shorter estimated lifetime then mini and the orginal..
Ping
I have seen iPod battery replacement kits!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Portable-audio/iPod/Accessories/auction-40204525.htm

so apparently you can replace them. From iPod gen 3 & & to mini
neosree
I love to have an iPod nano.It is really hot and cool at the same time!
Nothing can compete that.
H3LL5P4WN
I have an iPod Photo 60gb. I've had it since around March I believe. I'm listening to it now actually.
bananaphone
Empire wrote:
The Brand new version of the IPod Nano Is the best!!!! It holds 15,000 songs!! 25,000 pictures!! AND 150 HOURS OF VIDEO!!!!!! YAY!! Im going to get one!!!!!

Umm.. thats the iPod video. The iPod Nano holds only 2GB (500 songs) or 4GB (1,000 songs). Oh, and it won't play video (but can (i think) display pictures!)
H3LL5P4WN
Yes, they can.
hodgenpodg
as much as I hate apple (and oh do I) the iPod is probably the piece of electronic equipment that I use the most whether its plugging it into my Alpine stereo in my car or using my sweet Shure EC3 headphones to hear the beauty of the music while walking to classes.

I'm hoping to upgrade from my 3rd gen 20gb to the new video 60 gb ipod (since i have over 20 gb of music now)
H3LL5P4WN
I have Shure E3's. They're gray instead of white, because nothing says "Rob Me" like a pair of white earphones.

Should I ever come into some spare cash, I'd like to check out Shure's E4 earphones.
BCobos
My older bro has a iPod Nano and it's bloody awesome!!!

Only problem with it, is that we've heard reports that Nanos scrath easily.

Other than that, it rocks along with all other Apple products!!!!
osiashion
I really think iPod is a very good player. I have many friends having one and all of them are really happy with it.

And I don't agree with the people that say that the iPod is less reliable than other players. On the contrary, I think you have the guarantee of a big company like apple.
H3LL5P4WN
osiashion wrote:
I really think iPod is a very good player. I have many friends having one and all of them are really happy with it.

And I don't agree with the people that say that the iPod is less reliable than other players. On the contrary, I think you have the guarantee of a big company like apple.

Only if you buy Applecare. Wink
rossyboy8
The iPod is was a good idea when it was first made....But then it became a fashion accessory, and you got looks instead of features. My Creative Zen Touch is perfect. Holds more formats, no iTunes, dont get mobbed because im wearing white headphones etc....
H3LL5P4WN
rossyboy8 wrote:
The iPod is was a good idea when it was first made....But then it became a fashion accessory, and you got looks instead of features. My Creative Zen Touch is perfect. Holds more formats, no iTunes, dont get mobbed because im wearing white headphones etc....

That's why I have a 'big' iPod instead of a Mini/Shuffle/Nano. I don't use iTunes, nor do I use the white headphones. Wink
rossyboy8
More formats, not space (ie wmv etc), and How can you use an iPod without iTunes?
LKF
I just prefer my music, at home, on my awesome and well invested in stereo system. Quality first, so, portability isn't my style.

Arrogant as it may be, I think they're kinda show-offy. Mp3 players, like iPods, that is.
stormybaka
My experience with them has been utter crap. I had to deal with some dumbass salesperson when I tried to return my ipod because it didn't work with either 2 of my PC's and it's supoose to be plug and play. I had greater luck with the other mp3 player I had, shame it was stolen. -_-;
gatorfan13
This is Joey Miller and ipods rock! They are almost as good as the Florida Gators, USC Trojans, and New England Patriots. Joakim Noah is way better than ipods. but they are cool. The buckeyes stink almost as much as the Colts do! Hi Aaron M and Aaron B, James C, Kyle H, Grant K, Sean T. They are cooler than ipods but ipods rock! Go Patriots! Ipods rock! anyone that thinks other wise stinks.
Xeniczone
you don't have to use itunes with an ipod there is alternitive software. I heard some of my friends have it working just fine with windows media player.

I see nothing wrong with an ipod though myself I have bought a psp because I wanted killzone liberation. I have often though of getting a smaller mp3 player because the psp is huge.

Just like any other big company you are going to have haters just for no reason.
Bones
I find the funniest part of the whole Ipod debate is that most Ipod lovers will trash Microsoft for doing the very same things that Apple does with Ipod (aka a proprietary device that locks you into sub standard software)

Ipod = MS Office

I have nothing against the player itself, but I chose a sandisk sansa e250, it's only a 2G player, but if you need more than 2-4G of data in your pocket at any one time then I think you have serious issues.

With my player I have no DRM to worry about, I can use any software I want to sync it (even I-tunes if I turn sado masochist) or I can just drag n drop the music to the device itself if I choose ("I choose" being the operative phrase there)
It has a user replaceable battery so I dont need to ship it back to the OEM to replace a battery (I mean really, thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard!)
It also has a slot for a micro SD card so I can add up to 2G more storage, it's flash based memory which is far superior to hard drive based storage media, and it comes in sizes up to 8GB, color screen, voice recorder, video, pictures, damn it even has an FM radio tuner in it.
Xeniczone
Are you suggesting that the ipod nano uses a hard drive bones?
And i've never seen a 30gig flashdrive so... yeah... That is probably why the iPod Video uses a hard drive.
psycosquirrel
If I need more than 2Gb of data in my pocket, I have problems!?

I have 15Gb of music. I want to be able to listen to ANYTHING I want.

I need more than 2Gb. Sorry.

Ipods are great. I had a video for a while, and it was great... I miss it, lol...
Bones
Xeniczone wrote:
Are you suggesting that the ipod nano uses a hard drive bones?
And i've never seen a 30gig flashdrive so... yeah... That is probably why the iPod Video uses a hard drive.

How about a 64G flash drive?
http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/29/buslinks-64gb-usb-2-0-flash-drive-pro-2-series/

Expensive as hell yes, but now you've seen one. Although Kanguru also has a 64G flash drive for about half the price of this one, and so does Samsung for an even lower price (around $1700 USD)

I actually hadent thought of the Nano, yes they do use flash memory..but they are sooo ugly!
Sickness
I've got a 30 gb ipod and I'm quite happy with it Wink
Xeniczone
Quote:
How about a 64G flash drive?
http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/29/buslinks-64gb-usb-2-0-flash-drive-pro-2-series/

Expensive as hell yes, but now you've seen one. Although Kanguru also has a 64G flash drive for about half the price of this one, and so does Samsung for an even lower price (around $1700 USD)

I actually hadent thought of the Nano, yes they do use flash memory..but they are sooo ugly!

O yeah so everybody is going to go out and get themselfs a 2000 dollar ipod. Thats so stupid you shouldn't even bring that up.

the shuffle is Flash chips just as well. Plus they come in 2 different forums the first generation and the second generation so if you don't like one buy the other so it's not so "ugly" to you.
Bones
You said you had never seen a 30G flash drive...now you have. Well ok it wasen't 30, it was 64G.
Xeniczone
I'm sorry I have to be more spacific to you. A 30gig flash drive at a resonable price. Like I said before if you have to choose between a 30 gig hard drive and a 30 gig flash drive and the only real advantage of the flash drive drive is a longer battery life and is less liable to break.

but 250 dollars vs 2000 dollars their is no means the advantages are so small for that much gain. Plus you weren't even talking about your mp3 player being 30gigs.

Plus psycosquirrel makes a point when are you going to have the time to pull out 30gigs worth of music on the go.

I normally pullout my ipod when I'm waiting for something then I will only get through 5-10 songs max. Not saying it's the same 5-10 songs every time. Just suggesting that most ppl don't have their ipod glued to their ear and listen to music 24/7 even while they sleep. 1 hour of music a day is suppost to be health 24/7 and you need to look for health problems with your ears. from constant sound and a piece of platic rupping agenst your skin that much.
gobadger
I think iPods are great but it would have been nicer to enable a file drag and drop system as the norm and if the device had support for more file formats. But this aside its a great device.
YellowShadow
I once had an iPod Mini that died on me. So I bought a Zune. Zunes rock!
nilsmo
A lot of people who have iPods like them, I would recommend them if you want a portable audio (and video with the newer ones) device and can afford the cost. Podcasts are nice. Flash mp3 players from other companies may be cheaper, though.
ganesh
I would say that most of Apple's stuff is too much hype only! It is not worth that much of a price tag. Agreed that it is a good product, but is it value foe money?
Bones
Here is a good video for Ipod fans. I thought it was pretty funny.
http://gprime.net/video.php/ipodflea
bigdan
I have a 30G iPod video and I've had no problems with it. Smile I suppose it comes down to personal preference.
coolman1232
Well, while Ipods do have a high sound quality (relative to other audio players, such as the Zune), I think the whole issue with DRM makes them really bad... I will simply refuse to use an Ipod until they remove those restrictions.

Other than that, it seems that the Ipods is a good, high quality music player and looks cool too!
greatfire
pfft.Ipods do not have decent sound quality or value for money. Seriously, if you want more then 2-4gig there IS something wrong with you. How many hours a day do you listen to music. Thats how much your mp3 player needs to hold. None of this 15-30 gig nonsense. A mp4 player needs only up to 10 gig of storage. Ipods are rediculously fragile, offer very few features, and are difficult to replace/ get repaired.
kiranaghor
Whatever maybe the critism, but once u buy it , man, u can just flaunt itt. I got an 80 GB video ipod. And its soo kool. I ust llove it. IF u have money and u don't mind spending it. Just go for it and do not forget to get Applecare protection plan with it. U will not regret. Plus there are so many third party softwares that help to make complete use of the ipod.
Sound quality: whole world know abt it.
Design: Queen of Britain has honored the designer of ipod.
Price: some say that ipods are overpriced.
whats new: Future ipods may have wifi and some more games. Apple may do away with wheel and make the scrren bigger and add iphone like touch controls. Whatever they do ipod will the WOW thing.
reddishblue
To any one who complains about topic bumping, get lost.

I just bought an iPod Nano 2 gig, which I got on a return to replace a crappy iRiver X20 I had before it, which really sucked, sure, it played video and had radio, but the video supported only one format, and the radio had an annoying system behind it. It was just plain bad, and it couldn't do anything especially well.

Now, I have my iPod, 2nd Generation iPod Nanos have an aliminium case so it doesn't get scratched and is more drop resistant, and it has great sound quality, far better then my old 256mg Creative Zen Micro, and the clickwheel is just awesome, and it works well with the games on the thing.
I don't really care much about photos, but I know a lot of people do, and it displays them very...brightly, but the screen could be a bit larger for the purpose, but none the less, it's made to be small and sleek, and it really is!

As for iTunes, I don't understand why everyone dislikes it, it's 100 times the program Windows Media Player is, and it does a fine job categorising music...maybe it's just the typical attitude to everything that isn't opensource.

Sadly, iPod Linux doesn't work on my iPod, but hopefully, someday, it will.

Give iPods a chance, you'll find you like them, if you aren't a clumsy idiot who drops it as soon as you leave the store.

Reddish