FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Consistency in laws concerning gender roles?

JoryRFerrell
Should we have laws preventing people who are not inter-sexed from getting sex changes?
For example, should the majority be able to legislate against a 100% male being able to get a sex
change to become a 100% female?

If no, then why is it consider a legally acceptable thing to legislate against same-sex marriage?

The interference between the two arises in this way:
By saying two men or two women are not allowed to get married to one another, but should
they get a sex change, they would then be permitted to do so, you are being persnickety. What
if a man wants to marry his male partner, and intends to get a sex change in a month. Should
we really require him to wait till after the surgery? Realistically, it takes way more than a single
surgery to make the change, but this is a hypothetical thought-experiment so I am bending the
idea a little. But even in the real case, would it really be practical and "correct" to require him to
wait till he is a 100% female before getting married? What if he had cancer and wanted to marry
his partner before his surgeries which are 6months away...a date which is longer than his life
expectancy? If it would be ok to bend the laws and allow him to get married without the
operation in this case, wouldn't it be kind of ignorant to require EVERYONE to have to get a
surgery just to get married?

Would you argue that, according to religion, even sex-changes are against gods law? Should it
be legal to allow your religious beliefs to affect whether or not people are allowed to get
sex-changes? Should it be possible to illegalize a man getting a sex change to get married to his
male partner, since according to the bible, he is still technically a man?

Outside of religious views, is a man who get's a sex change technically still a male? Outside of
religious views, does this mean it should be illegal for him (now HER) to get married to men still?
In this case, would she (formerly HE) be required to now be a "physiological lesbian", only
allowed to marry women, despite being a technical female now? I say
"physiological lesbian" from the viewpoint of those who say she is still mentally a "HE"...but a
confused "HE". Twisted Evil
watersoul
JoryRFerrell wrote:
Outside of religious views, is a man who get's a sex change technically still a male?
In the UK your legal gender is on your Birth Cert unless you are granted a Gender Recognition Certificate.
This requires medical evidence of gender dysphoria (unhappiness with your birth gender).

You can get a different gender status on your passport & driving licence without a gender recognition certificate, available for people who don't request medical assistance living in their chosen gender. This is only in the backroom eyes of HM Government but assists the person getting through life with full photo ID.

...the rest of the OP would seem more appropriate in the Philosophy & Religion forum though, don't you think Wink
catscratches
Arguing for same-sex marriage through the means of sex change seems like a somewhat futile attempt as I don't think most people who are against same-sex marriage are particularly keen on sex changes either. Razz
JoryRFerrell
catscratches wrote:
Arguing for same-sex marriage through the means of sex change seems like a somewhat futile attempt as I don't think most people who are against same-sex marriage are particularly keen on sex changes either. Razz

I don't think fanatics would be...but for folks on the fence and leaning more towards pro-rights for those getting sex changes but not fully supportive of gay marriage, it may help the case.
JoryRFerrell
watersoul wrote:
JoryRFerrell wrote:
Outside of religious views, is a man who get's a sex change technically still a male?
In the UK your legal gender is on your Birth Cert unless you are granted a Gender Recognition Certificate.
This requires medical evidence of gender dysphoria (unhappiness with your birth gender).

You can get a different gender status on your passport & driving licence without a gender recognition certificate, available for people who don't request medical assistance living in their chosen gender. This is only in the backroom eyes of HM Government but assists the person getting through life with full photo ID.

...the rest of the OP would seem more appropriate in the Philosophy & Religion forum though, don't you think Wink

I think this question is perfectly at home where it is. Philosophy plays a huge role in politics so naturally the two appear as a blurred line, and are really one and the same. Just different ends/views of the same thing. The only difference is that one word is used when referring to
philosophy that we don't expect to affect legislation, while the other (the word "politics") IS
expected to involve things which affect the laws.
watersoul
JoryRFerrell wrote:
watersoul wrote:
JoryRFerrell wrote:

I think this question is perfectly at home where it is. Philosophy plays a huge role in politics so naturally the two appear as a blurred line, and are really one and the same. Just different ends/views of the same thing. The only difference is that one word is used when referring to
philosophy that we don't expect to affect legislation, while the other (the word "politics") IS
expected to involve things which affect the laws.
Cool, Politics forum it is then.
Very relaxed and accommodating laws in my country, why are you complaining about yours? Human rights issues wherever you are? Where are you? What's the issue there legally?
...I've explained the situation in the UK, where I am.
Ankhanu
This conundrum isn’t really a conundrum in many modern, western nations Razz Same-sex marriage is legal in many nations these days… it doesn’t matter whether one is trans- or cis-, hetero- or homo-, intending to have or have had reassignment surgery or not, in any way queer, the marriage is legal.
Now the USA and other backwards nations are a different story, but the idea of this sort of discrimination is clearly non-constitutional (for the US, anyway), but still seems to have some silly level of legal fuzziness. It seems pretty black and white to me, but, hey, what do I know Razz

There is separation between sex and gender, and it’s a distinction that American law hasn’t figured out yet… which is interesting, since it’s really quite irrelevant. The religious can hold their separatist views, and that’s fine, but religion and law should not mix.