FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Legal to have surgery to become a hermaphrodite?

JoryRFerrell
Should it be legal to get a "sex-change" to become an inter-sexed person...the exact opposite of what people normally do?
Should our society have a say in whether or not a person is allowed to make such a decision?
After-all, if it naturally occurs in nature through mutation anyways, and we can't illegalize people being born as they are, should we be able to illegalize people intentionally BECOMING a hermaphrodite?
Technically it harms no one, so is there any reasonable basis for preventing people from making such a decision? Twisted Evil
watersoul
No laws stopping it in the UK if you have the cash and a surgeon willing to take it.
You may struggle with getting it funded by our National Health Service, but the mantra there is 'care for the patient' and if someone is desperately suffering emotionally/psychologically due to a gender identity issue and the only perceived 'cure' is surgery for it then it is possible.

Expect years of therapy, hormonal/drug treatment first, even a short period sectioned under the mental health act as well, and/or a failed suicide attempt or two before the the case is agreed under public funds, but it is possible.

Why do you ask, is it formally legislated against and illegal in your country?
JoryRFerrell
watersoul wrote:
No laws stopping it in the UK if you have the cash and a surgeon willing to take it.
You may struggle with getting it funded by our National Health Service, but the mantra there is 'care for the patient' and if someone is desperately suffering emotionally/psychologically due to a gender identity issue and the only perceived 'cure' is surgery for it then it is possible.

Expect years of therapy, hormonal/drug treatment first, even a short period sectioned under the mental health act as well, and/or a failed suicide attempt or two before the the case is agreed under public funds, but it is possible.

Why do you ask, is it formally legislated against and illegal in your country?

No...it's legal (I am in the US...for now) but it sorta has ties with the issue of gay right's. So I brought it up to show how people are inconsistent about what they attack as detrimental to society, yet completely ignore something which is a slight shade away from it.
catscratches
JoryRFerrell wrote:

After-all, if it naturally occurs in nature through mutation anyways, and we can't illegalize people being born as they are, should we be able to illegalize people intentionally BECOMING a hermaphrodite?
Not a very convincing argument. Whether it's natural is quite irrelevant. There's plenty of harmful conditions occuring naturally meaning they would conflict with medical ethics. I'm vary of any argument involving 'nature' in any form.

Quote:
Technically it harms no one, so is there any reasonable basis for preventing people from making such a decision? Twisted Evil

This is the real argument. If it positively affects a person with gender dysphoria and doesn't negatively affect anyone else, why not?
Ankhanu
Yep, I know of no laws preventing this sort of operation. I mean, I've never heard of anyone doing it, and many surgeons might take moral/personal objection to offering the service (which they have the right to not perform, I suppose), but it's entirely legal.