FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dangerous drive

sonam
This video is from Croatia. Yesterday! Look how this women drive all the time in the middle of the street. Are you have experience with crazy drivers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAHaaAq1QQc

Sonam
standready
Many experiences with crazy drivers most have involved using their phone while driving and concentrating on the phone (voice or text) instead of driving.
Yesterday I heard on the news about a person 'driving' the car into a lake while texting. Person did not even realize until they had water around their feet. Can we say "Doh!"
johans
oh!!! Based on what i know girls are good drivers..
SonLight
My experience is that all of us have our "off" moments when we don't pay enough attention and do something foolish while driving. Our only hope for avoiding accidents is that we don't get unlucky enough that two of us are careless at the same time and have a collision.

That said, I think it is important to recognize our careless moments and dangerous behaviors that distract from good driving. Continuing to text, look at sights along the road for more than a fraction of a second, or allow ourselves to be lulled into a state of inattention regularly almost guarantees that a person will get unlucky eventually. Having our attention returned to our driving by a near-miss or someone honking at us is a great blessing if we use it to reinforce our attention in the future.

I will admit I sometimes answer the cell phone or even call while driving, and I consider it risky. Hopefully I am aware of the danger that I allow an extra margin for safety and do not let my mind wander from traffic.
Insanity
I find it crazy how driving is such a dangerous activity that nobody seems to realize. A majority of deaths in the country can be attributed to driving. So many people drive drunk or sleepy that the roads are inherently dangerous places to be. Yet nobody pays attention to this fact and drives while texting or talking or otherwise being distracted. You're driving in a death machine that can instantly kill you or some other driver or bystander, so you should at least be wary of this fact and try to drive in the safest way possible. I've lost many friends to accidents and maybe I am just biased...
deanhills
standready wrote:
Many experiences with crazy drivers most have involved using their phone while driving and concentrating on the phone (voice or text) instead of driving.
Yesterday I heard on the news about a person 'driving' the car into a lake while texting. Person did not even realize until they had water around their feet. Can we say "Doh!"
Agreed Stand. Whenever I see someone partially out of their lane, I just immediately think cell phone. That was what went through my mind too when I saw this YouTube show. What are the chances she was holding it to her left ear? I saw this yesterday more than once as I was doing some city driving. And not only during driving. When I was trying to walk from point A to B in a shopping mall, those who tended to be "out of their lane" in their walking stride were the ones on mobile phones - sort of completely desensitized to their immediate environment.
sonam
I am agree the using cell phone while driving is really dangerous. But (in Croatian info) when police stop her she comment: "This is my type of driving." She haven't alcohol in blood, nor drugs and she didn't use phone. Shocked

Quote:
@johans
Based on what i know girls are good drivers..

Actually, I have few friends (girls) what is driving better then me. Wink

Sonam
BigGeek
OK so maybe she didn't have any alcohol in her blood or drugs, and she wasn't talking on a cell phone, but she is still a bad driver and probably shouldn't be allowed to drive!

As far as cell phones go I so agree with the posts here about whenever you see a bad driver if you pull up on them they are on the phone. It is miserable these days the number of people on the phone while driving. It's ridiculous that people cannot drive anywhere without being on the phone, just nuts.

The other thing that I will comment on is that 9 out of 10 women I pass are on the phone while driving huge SUVs not paying attention, driving dangerously slow, weaving, while holding that phone to their ear and talking away.

The other day I had a woman pull up alongside me after she almost hit me swerving in her lane when I passed her, because she was on her cell phone, she skidded to a stop almost rear ending the car in front of her, I rolled down my window and waved at her until she rolled down her window and when she did screamed at the top of my lungs, "get off the phone and drive the truck before you kill someone you freak".

She flipped me off and kept talking and driving Shocked
Peterssidan
Just imagine what would happen if she meet someone who drives the same way.
sonam
Yeah, it is rally dangerous drive behind or parallel with someone who is driving like her. And, I don't want to imagine what happen if someone who drives the same way coming from opposite direction.

I understand there are some situation where someone must answer on phone, but I am pretty sure the lot of this talking is chit chat. And typing messages!!?? Shocked

Sonam
chasbeen
I seen many bad drivers. In my case the women are in the lead.
I think the big picture is that they somehow feel they are immune from being on an accident.
When they are in thrir next accident it's never their fault.

Even if they were painting their nails and talking on the mobile.
grofet
Nobody perfect. Everyone can become a bad driver in some situations and some people always become a bad driver. It's the right of the police to give a licence or not. Giving a driving licence to the bad drivers is very very not good. Bad driver should not have a driver licence. They have to take public transportation or other driver to go to other place. Having different way of driving will increase the risk of fatal accident that can makes people die or fatal injury.
dxverm
Do not come to Kentucky...NO ONE knows what a turn signal is let alone how to drive or the rules of the road...you could quite possibly die down here if you don't mind your surroundings while driving here.
Nick2008
dxverm wrote:
Do not come to Kentucky...NO ONE knows what a turn signal is let alone how to drive or the rules of the road...you could quite possibly die down here if you don't mind your surroundings while driving here.

Really? I didn't think it was that bad when I visited Louisville. Then again, I am from Washington, D.C. which now statistically has the worst drivers in the United States according to the number of insurance claims filed per 1,000 people per year.
Ankhanu
chasbeen wrote:
I seen many bad drivers. In my case the women are in the lead.
I think the big picture is that they somehow feel they are immune from being on an accident.
When they are in thrir next accident it's never their fault.

See, from my observation, it's the opposite; men are the cocky ones making stupid choices. They tend to be more aggressive and cocksure; they think they're good drivers and make everyone else suffer for it. They make bad lane changes, speed or pass where they shouldn't... they feel entitled to the road, everyone else be damned. They PLAY with their vehicles, intentionally losing some control of their vehicles for fun (e.g. fishtailing, drifting, speeding, squealing tires, etc).

Women tend to be more cautious. The bad ones are bad due to inattention, rather than hubris. All the bad habits of inattention of women are mirrored in men, but generally women do not mirror the bad habits of men.

(Broad generalizations here)
pravojednostavno
It's a pity to see such drive style, especially in Croatia. Croats are usually good drivers.
sonam
pravojednostavno wrote:
It's a pity to see such drive style, especially in Croatia. Croats are usually good drivers.

Right pravojednostavno usually we are driving correct. But in last time I sow lot of drivers don't care about other in traffic. They don't look all around (traffic jam, traffic light, they don't use turn signal, etc.), they just think about their goal (job, home, children). I think stressful of life are one important role of bad driving. The phones are one part of this life, one of dangerous part, of course.

Sonam
deanhills
sonam wrote:
pravojednostavno wrote:

Right pravojednostavno usually we are driving correct. But in last time I sow lot of drivers don't care about other in traffic. They don't look all around (traffic jam, traffic light, they don't use turn signal, etc.), they just think about their goal (job, home, children). I think stressful of life are one important role of bad driving. The phones are one part of this life, one of dangerous part, of course.

Sonam
I think another factor with drivers becoming desensitized/disassociated from one another or not caring, is overpopulation, and an enormous increase in traffic. People are more focused on surviving the traffic, than caring about their fellow drivers. The wise way of dealing with increase in traffic is of course to be less aggressive, but quite a large number of drivers become more aggressive, particularly when they are trying to negotiate as many roundabouts (traffic circles), as we have around where I live, and which are becoming more and more congested by the year. I also find that drivers in general are much more impatient than they've been up to a few years ago.
spinout
I wonder if i rather would like to runned over by a man och a woman???
If it is a woman I will she's a bad driver and if it is a man I will complain that he drove to fast...
sysna
What is the punishment for such driving in Croatia ? i think they should send her to prison for at least 5 months for such driving, by the way if i was the person in the car behind i knew what to do Very Happy just try to put your car in the right side just try it and the next time a car comes from front ... Laughing
Ankhanu
sysna wrote:
What is the punishment for such driving in Croatia ? i think they should send her to prison for at least 5 months for such driving, by the way if i was the person in the car behind i knew what to do Very Happy just try to put your car in the right side just try it and the next time a car comes from front ... Laughing

You sound like a terrible driver.
sonam
@deanhills
Yeah, you are right. More cars, more drivers, more problems in traffic. Smile

Quote:
What is the punishment for such driving in Croatia ?

Actually I don't know. Because police must see this situation what mean they must drive behind him/her. Otherwise they haven't any argument for punishment. This is local road and there are not cameras or interceptor police like on high-ways. Rolling Eyes

Sonam
pravojednostavno
sysna wrote:
i think they should send her to prison for at least 5 months for such driving

really? a mother of two (i think) kids should go in prison for at least 5 months? what if she is a single mother?
do not think that i want to protect her, i'm rather on the children's side, or on the side of those who will suffer because of her driving.

I think the best punishment is heavy fine or restriction in driving.
SonLight
pravojednostavno wrote:
sysna wrote:
i think they should send her to prison for at least 5 months for such driving

really? a mother of two (i think) kids should go in prison for at least 5 months? what if she is a single mother?
do not think that i want to protect her, i'm rather on the children's side, or on the side of those who will suffer because of her driving.

I think the best punishment is heavy fine or restriction in driving.

I don't necessarily think the five months is appropriate (seems a little high for a first offense), but I do think it's appropriate to impose a jail term regardless of family situation. For any non-violent crime, it would be appropriate to delay imposition of the sentence and have a social agency review the impact on both the criminal and his/her family. Perhaps she could serve weekends in jail, or possibly even time in a halfway house where the children could go also, and work off some community service while there.

I'm not at all opposed to making the family a priority, even reducing jail time below normal minimum if she met strict requirements for meeting her other obligations, but make it clear that jail time is expected and that any exception is unusual. Of course if it's a first offense, it might be appropriate to impose community service only, but with a clear warning that a second offense carries substantial mandatory jail time.
watersoul
I think the intent of prison sentences should only ever be the separation of a person from society, to protect society and help the person see the failings in their actions to a point where they are no longer a danger.
A bit simplistic I'll admit, but prison for a 'nearly' accident, really?!
The UK has specific classifications of driving crimes, 'driving without due care and attention' 'causing death by dangerous driving' 'blah' it's all listed if you scroll down here: http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences_guidance_on_prosecuting_cases_of_bad_driving/#a19
....and I am glad the country I live in has a sliding scale of penalties/punishment/rehabilitation/prison/society-protection, depending on the specific charge, and does not simply throw people in jail for 5 months when it was just a 'nearly' accident. There are more ways to control a persons behaviour without locking them in prison.
Afaceinthematrix
Driving while doing things such as talking on your phone needs to be a more serious crime and texting while driving should just be treated as a DUI because it's just as dangerous and it kills people (often innocent people) all the time. If I'm expecting an urgent phone call or message and my phone goes off, I simply pull over. When you drive, you need to exclusively drive. NO EXCEPTIONS! Driving is an extremely easy task and if you actually pay attention to the road and follow traffic laws then there's no reason that you should ever get in an accident. I always get annoyed when I'm held up in traffic on the highway because some moron rear-ended someone. Those people should lose their license because they were either breaking traffic laws (usually not leaving enough following distance and/or speeding) and/or were not paying attention. Either way, their recklessness is risking innocent people's lives. Driving is serious. People's lives are in your hands and so if you cannot follow the traffic laws and pay attention then you have no business driving.
watersoul
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
When you drive, you need to exclusively drive
I absolutely agree.
Had a conversation with my son (while driving the other day) about the concentration and multiple subconscious calculations going on at that time in heavy rain as 8 cars were joining/fitting in between everyone else's flow of traffic on a motorway.
...I am all for tough deterrents for dangerous people on the roads, just not prison for 'nearly' crashes when enforced (and offender funded) driver/rider training is clearly a better option.
Afaceinthematrix
So would I. I don't necessarily want someone thrown in jail for an accident. Depending on the accident, you should maybe lose your licnse or be forced to go to driving classes because there's apparently a lack of skill or you weren't fully focused.

In general, I'm more for punishments fitting the crime. I think that alternative punishments can be more practical, effective, and certainly cheaper. For instance, if a teenager was caught drunk driving, sending them to jail (which could happen, especially if an accident is involved) will ruin their life. It will cost a fortune to send them to jail and then they may not be able to finish school and almost certainly willl not end up attending university (even if they had the grades to go before the accident). This will cost society again. However, what about making them volunteer at a local hospital every single Friday and Saturday (when the most drunk driving accidents happen) for a year? Not only is this a punishment but they'll get to experience first hand week after week the dangers of drunk driving by personally seeing all of the victims come in with banged up bodies.... That would cost society very little, would probably be a much more effective lesson for the teenager, and wouldn't ruin their life.
sonam
I am not for jail punishment (except is someone hurt in accident) but for such driving I am agree if police will take driving license and/or give social services in hospital where are peoples from car accident.

Sonam