FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to reinstall preinstalled Windows 8?

Peterssidan
So my parents bought a new computer that came with windows 8 preinstalled. There was no Windows CD so I was wondering how to reinstall Windows if necessary. I have created a recovery drive (CD). Will this allow me to reinstall windows 8 if the hard drive crash completely? What about product key? Is it automatically embedded in the CD?
Ankhanu
The system should have a recovery partition on the HDD. To perform the recovery, you'll need to do an F-key press at boot up to activate it. What they keypress is will depend on the brand of the system.
In the event that the HDD dies, yeah, you should be ok with a CD/DVD, or USB flash drive... I'd recommend the flash drive actually, as you can get more on there. I can't recall how this works out with licensing, though.

Systems haven't shipped with recovery CD/DVDs for 5 years or so.
Peterssidan
In the Create a recovery drive window there is a checkbox that says Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive. This checkbox is checked by default but then it says I need a 16 GB USB drive. If I unchecked the checkbox I could use a CD.

So I guess the CD doesn't contain the recovery partition. What exactly is a recovery partition? I just want to avoid having to buy a new Windows 8 license in case the hard drive crash completely. I don't care if the settings are gone.
Ankhanu
The recovery partition is the Windows install disk, basically. Nab a USB drive and copy it Smile
Any time I've restored a system from the recovery partition I haven't needed to enter a license key
gwencorwin123
You can reinstall it anytime. You just will be needing its cd. Its key every time will be same for same system.
badai
brand? model?
Peterssidan
gwencorwin123 wrote:
You can reinstall it anytime. You just will be needing its cd. Its key every time will be same for same system.

But it came without CD and key. That's the problem.

badai wrote:
brand? model?

Acer Aspire MC605
badai
http://bit.ly/1kUIozY