FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

do circles feel alienated by polygons?

gonzo
Polygons are such an exclusive group. They will not accept members lacking in angles. Triangles are favored by engineers. Shouldn't we just let circles be polygons, too? Stop the hate.
Arin
gonzo wrote:
Triangles are favored by engineers.

Where do the engineers come from? From universities.
What's the most popular topic on univeristies? Especially technical ones? Sex.
Thus, we have triangles.

Cheers,
Arin.
gonzo
Arin wrote:
the most popular topic

That's so sad. I hope you find better friends soon.
Arin
gonzo wrote:
That's so sad. I hope you find better friends soon.

There isn't any hope left for me, mate. But don't be sad. There's no need to be sad.

Cheers.
Arin.
dkbg
Well, unfortunately, circles by definition are not polygonal. It seems as though it could be said that circles are composed of an infinitely large number of infinitely small angles, but a polygon needs a finite number of angles to be considered a polygon. Oh well, I guess the circles are just doomed to a life of exclusion from the "cool" polygonal clique...

But hey! At least they're unique, being the only "monogonal" shape.
psycosquirrel
As the number of sides of a polygon approaches infinity, its area will approach that of the circle it is inscribed in. Therefore, a circle is a polygon with infinite sides.
dkbg
psycosquirrel: Yes that's what I had initially thought as well. But when I looked over at the Wikipedia polygon article, I was given this:

Quote:
A polygon (literally "many angle", see Wiktionary for the etymology) is a closed planar path composed of a finite number of sequential line segments.

So, although the infinite side explanation does work for circles, it does not fit the true definition of a "polygon".
gonzo
dkbg wrote:
infinitely large number

The above is nonsense.

(1) Infinity is NOT a number.
(2) A numbered thing is a finite thing

psycosquirrel wrote:
As the number of sides of a polygon approaches infinity, its area will approach that of the circle it is inscribed in. Therefore, a circle is a polygon with infinite sides.

As bob approaches the house he becomes the house. Therefore bob is a house.
johanfh
As Bob approaches a house he ALMOST is a house. As a poligon approaches an infinite amount of sides it still is a poligon, but it is almost a circle. Depends on how secure you are.

In the digital era a circle becomes a poligon. Look at this o: its a poligon. But when you see it, you think it's a circle, because o is a circle.
Your eye is playing games at you. And this isn't even a poligon with almost infinite sides!

Depending on your resolution, a 'circle' on your screen looks like a circle. But don't magnify it! It's a poligon.

I guess in this digiral era the analog circle is going to die. Sad That's so sad! Have you ever imagined this? Computers are the killers of the circle!

*sniff*

JohanFH
KimRubin
Hey "pure love" guy.

Tell me, really, What makes love pure? What is impure love.

People want to know. I want to know.
lbs
Engineers love circles too. Each has it's own uses. Triangles resist against lateral movment and circles resist against internel and externel pressures very well.
startsomething
I love circles. Circles are definately underappreciated. They are so mysterious, and so beautiful, but no one really understands them. Sometimes I feel like I'm a circle. And I run around the front yard in circles yelling, "Everything will be okay!"
bananaphone
Infinity is a constant - NOT a number!
manhattan<3
Wow, people are actually discussing this. I suppose I'm just not the mathematical type of person. But...I like Polygons. Very Happy they're awesome.