FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IE 8 - Is it worth supporting?

Would you support IE8?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Maybe
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Kill IE
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

jonmurua
Hello,

I need to implement a drag&drop type interface and I realized that the majority of libraries do not support IE8.

I know that Microsoft is going to stop supporting Windows XP in April 2014, but do you know whether IE8 support will end also in April?

Is it worth supporting IE8 for the time being?

Thank you
zacky
We'll actually it depends really on what you are developing and who are your target market plus your audience in your web site.

Let me give you the two sides of the opinion I always get from peers around the globe.

YES:

Mainly if you are working in a company where in developing websites for customers and they gain profit and income from sales, then probably they're mindset is, much larger scope of users, much more sales which gives more income. Then it is really now obvious that you need to support all versions of browser although of course not those not existent version of browser.

NO:

If your working in a company, freelance or any project that focus more on features and doesn't much care about the profit or wide range scale of target audience, then supporting old version of browser is not really a good idea. Mostly developers doesn't want to adjust they're code because one of the old version of the browser do not support nowadays great features.

Lastly, it is really depends on you. Personally to give my own statement aside from above, I don't want to support any old version of IE. In this way you can force all individuals "Nitezens" to use and update their browser because if they do so, then all of us will be happy. It is the customer why some company still support old browser but if customer upgrade, no more pain issues.
Gregoric
Only thing I do to support older Internet Explorer browsers is adding selectivizr to my sites, as they mostly are not used by many IE9> users, so I do not really have to supply them with perfectly the same content as the modern browsers users.
amateurlee
No, IE10 and IE11 is much better then it. When i replay my testcases with selenium, IE10 and IE11 run much more smooth than IE8.