FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tell me it's not true (full-screen apps)

Da Rossa
Since the traditional PC is over the hill (unfortunately), Microsoft has been invested on tablet-PCs, hybrids and touch devices. They don't have the regular desktop. There are already a handful of full-screen apps for Windows 8, but they have the native limitation of... limiting the number of info you see on screen at a time! That's why I prefer the desktop apps.

Are the metro apps REALLY replacing the desktop apps until they're all dead?
CHAOS-THEORY
Unfortunatly ? i d rather have a desktop Pc then a laptop or worst; a tablet or ever a microsoft product... nightmare, linux rules.
Da Rossa
Sorry man but nowadays I must say you're an exception. I'm not talking about the tech savvy guys like ourselves (you more than me), but about the average joe, the massive crowd who dictates the marked unknowingly. If there are only a few of us, then they won't make things for us anymore because the "ordinary people" are satisfied with a limited touch PC with Windows 8... They can send their e-mails and listen to their music with a few more clicks and taps, and they do have the patience to wait for the swipe animation to finish. We don't. I like keyboard shortcuts, you like command line with all powerful parameters.... they are OK with the dummy finger Sad
boinsterman
It's harder to lose a desktop. A number of years ago, I saw a sign in a university computer lab saying, essentially that a bag containing a laptop and disks with three years work for a graduate thesis had been left there and someone had taken it. The author asked the person to return the laptop, with no consequences, or to at least return the disks...

It's probably harder to damage a desktop, too, such as by dropping something on it or accidentally dropping it in a puddle.

I'm now on an old desktop and am looking for a laptop, but I want a cheap one.
SpaceInvader75
1. I like to repair and upgrade my computers. This is much easier to do on a desktop, since you have more room, and many desktops have a wide variety of components you can install, unlike laptops.

2. Gaming: Laptops are generally not made for gaming, and if you have to buy a gaming laptop it's going to be expensive. While I wouldn't mind being able to take such a gaming laptop around with me, I don't know that it would be worth the expense (especially if it was stolen).

3. Cheap price: I found the desktop I'm typing on now at a garage sale for $10 (and had to pay another $7 for a mouse and keyboard) making it a $17 computer. I wrote a blog about it. Of course, it's hardly good for any games, but it does other things fine.

I like being able to fit a smartphone in my pocket, but for most applications, the screen doesn't seem large enough for me (granted I have not used a smart phone with a larger screen, say 7"). If traveled all the time, I suppose I would feel differently about desktops, but I would still probably want one at home.
riteshk1
I also prefer desktop rather than laptop or tablet PC
msfarsa
It's probably harder to damage a desktop, too, such as by dropping something on it or accidentally dropping it in a puddle. I like being able to fit a smartphone in my pocket. Smile
Da Rossa
Thanks for your opinions.

Quote:
3. Cheap price: I found the desktop I'm typing on now at a garage sale for $10 (and had to pay another $7 for a mouse and keyboard) making it a $17 computer. I wrote a blog about it. Of course, it's hardly good for any games, but it does other things fine.

Wow!! Please put here the link so I can read about it?? Smile
Josso
This is relevant here

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-1170467.html#1170467

Josso wrote:
Guys this actually is part of a much bigger problem. Minimal 'user friendly' interfaces have gone too far and are now being used as an excuse to limit access in some exceptional circumstances. If you start removing buttons at some point things go backwards and computer literate people get screwed by not being able to get into * submenu because of interface design. I've actually gone back to using cmd a lot more on everyones windows 8 machines for example, not to mention the 'ease' of Windows RT just being used as a smokescreen for cash centralisation and control.

Big content heavy sites are being cut down to the point of not having search bars on them (how exactly am I supposed to find drivers more than a week old?). Mobile I/O devices are being used an excuse for conveniently cutting down programs to suit corporate interests. Why do you think you can send picture files but not music files on skype app but on desktop you can send any extension? There's no technological reason for it. People forget, if you have a very small site you don't really always need a CMS - infact it's sometimes counterproductive but it's 'the thing to do' and 'up with the times'.

My biggest beef with modern sites is actually the lack of community base like a forum, comments section, anything really. If you can't talk to other people about the product or organisation it can get very spoon fed and also make you forget about the site. Everything Peterssidan said is also annoying, on some sites inability to make new tabs off hyperlinks is hugely frustrating and you end up opening the same page a few times in different tabs to keep things organised. No pagination is damn stupid and is part of another worrying trend to just hide away old stuff to the point of not being able to find it (what ever happened to the days of just archiving old stuff a public FTP? Some sites do this for old product support, but oh no actually for some reason the general public can't use FTP because you know, it's the hardest thing).