FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Intersexed/sex-change folks and bathrooms.

JoryRFerrell
After an operation to become a specific, or even the opposite gender, which bathroom should folks have to use? The same restroom before the operation? The opposite? If it would be pervy for a man
who considers themselves to be female, to use the female restroom, should he be able to use the female restroom after the operation? In your eyes, is it solely the issue of physical being, or is it more about mental gender roles?
watersoul
Pretty simple in the UK, if someone identifies with a gender and dresses or appears accordingly then they use the 'bathroom' most closely associated to their identified gender.
Pre and post-op male-female transexuals would use a female 'bathroom' and the opposite for female-male. It is a requirement of our National Health Service that a pre-op transexual 'lives' as the identified gender for at least 12 months before the state will fund their operation. It would be difficult to do this if only post-op transexuals were allowed in specific bathrooms.

Non-issue though really, we have private lockable cubicles/stalls in the UK so I struggle to see how it would affect anyone other than the person with gender identity issues. A female-male TS could stand next to me at a wall mounted urinal and I wouldn't give a toss about it - it is tragic that so many bigots in society would though.
Josso
That's interesting information watersoul, NHS will fund if you have lived in your chosen gender for a year?

Quote:
Non-issue though really, we have private lockable cubicles/stalls in the UK so I struggle to see how it would affect anyone other than the person with gender identity issues. A female-male TS could stand next to me at a wall mounted urinal and I wouldn't give a toss about it - it is tragic that so many bigots in society would though.

also this
watersoul
Josso wrote:
That's interesting information watersoul, NHS will fund if you have lived in your chosen gender for a year?
Big arsed long waiting list though. Lots pre-op transexuals off work on long-term sick benefits with depression, that does influence the op funding decision as well...addressing the physical aspects of gender identity issues is seen as a wider plan of general care around these complex issues.

Quite a large populace of TS people in my area, relative to size, so I've had many interesting and sometimes tragic conversations over the years. I'm straight myself, but I do enjoy the odd night in the gay nightclub, lovely fun atmosphere and less of the moody blokes in white shirts trying to look hard and stir up a fight Laughing
catscratches
Well, I don't believe in gender segregated bathrooms to begin with so I don't have any issue with someone using whatever bathroom regardless of reasons.
coolclay
I agree with Catscratches. Gender specific bathrooms are about as sexist as Color specific ones were racist. I see no reason why we need separate places to defecate and urinate. In college we did not have gender specific bathrooms, we don't in our homes and I see absolutely no reason to have them any where else.