FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Does it make you a robot if......?





JoryRFerrell
Does it make you a robot if you only do what your body is programmed to do?
If you feel there is something wrong with being a robot, what would you say to the argument
that engaging in homosexuality (not because of genetic factors, but because of choice) is actually
less robotic, assuming the ability to choose outside of your "intended design" makes one a non-robot, while following it's sole intent, makes one a robot?
watersoul
How do you define what a human body is 'programmed' to do?
What is this 'intended design' you speak of?

Homosexual sex is frequent in other animals so are they choosing to defy their 'programming' as well?
What about women who choose to not have children, are they defying programming?
Should we abandon all forms of transportation aside from walking? Should we all stop shaving, or cutting our hair?

Sorry dude, but this is the lamest question I've ever seen you ask, the way I view it at the moment. Perhaps explain a little bit more and I can come closer to understanding exactly what it is you are trying to establish about humans breaking with this imagined pre-defined protocol or instructions we are supposed to follow?
deanhills
JoryRFerrell wrote:
Does it make you a robot if you only do what your body is programmed to do?
I'd say it would make you mindless and heartless. Inhuman. I don't think you'd find many people like that, unless they've been traumatized into acting like robots, or have some kind of deficiency, or were "programmed"/"indoctrinated".

JoryRFerrell wrote:
If you feel there is something wrong with being a robot, what would you say to the argument that engaging in homosexuality (not because of genetic factors, but because of choice) is actually less robotic, assuming the ability to choose outside of your "intended design" makes one a non-robot, while following it's sole intent, makes one a robot?
I don't know what homosexual has to do with human "programming". You'd have to explain it to me. Homosexual has been part of the human species design from the beginning of time.
JoryRFerrell
watersoul wrote:
How do you define what a human body is 'programmed' to do?
What is this 'intended design' you speak of?

Homosexual sex is frequent in other animals so are they choosing to defy their 'programming' as well?
What about women who choose to not have children, are they defying programming?
Should we abandon all forms of transportation aside from walking? Should we all stop shaving, or cutting our hair?

Sorry dude, but this is the lamest question I've ever seen you ask, the way I view it at the moment. Perhaps explain a little bit more and I can come closer to understanding exactly what it is you are trying to establish about humans breaking with this imagined pre-defined protocol or instructions we are supposed to follow?


LOL...the idea I was bringing to the table is many Christians I have spoke with dislike the idea that we are biological robots. And then they ironically turn around and proselytize doing only what our body is normally "meant" to do. So in a way, they advocate acting like a non-robot....until someone suggests doing something truly non-robotic-like....like failing to marry, procreate, or even engaging in a homosexual relationship (in the case of gays who are not truly, genetically gay...who have made a pure choice.).
By being gay, not procreating, etc, you are going against the typical program our species normally parses. So it makes you closer to the non-robot that Christians supposedly value, and at the same time the Christians make moves towards robotic behavior, becoming closer to the thing they supposedly hate.
JoryRFerrell
deanhills wrote:
JoryRFerrell wrote:
Does it make you a robot if you only do what your body is programmed to do?
I'd say it would make you mindless and heartless. Inhuman. I don't think you'd find many people like that, unless they've been traumatized into acting like robots, or have some kind of deficiency, or were "programmed"/"indoctrinated".

JoryRFerrell wrote:
If you feel there is something wrong with being a robot, what would you say to the argument that engaging in homosexuality (not because of genetic factors, but because of choice) is actually less robotic, assuming the ability to choose outside of your "intended design" makes one a non-robot, while following it's sole intent, makes one a robot?
I don't know what homosexual has to do with human "programming". You'd have to explain it to me. Homosexual has been part of the human species design from the beginning of time.


Arguably, there are plenty of people who are who acting the way I described: Christians, Muslims, Hindu's, many Sufi's, etc, all advocate unions between a man and a woman only. So, not only do they follow their biological programming as well, but they follow the programming of their mental conditioning as well. To say, "I was born heterosexual, so I am only attracted, and so will only persue the opposite sex", is not something I would say is heartless or inhuman. I would say it was heartless to say others should not be allowed to be with whomever they feel they need to be with (regardless of whether or not it's a mental choice and/or a genetic factor). I didn't mean to say homosexuality had anything to do with programming (though it does for at least some homosexuals...the genetic factor of sexual preference can't really be ignored.), I was actually making a point that if homosexuals were in fact just choosing to be homosexual, they are actually beating their own programming, and breaking out of their supposedly, god-designed algorithm.
This would make them non-robotic compared to Christians, who rail against homosexuality because it doesn't follow the programming we are "intended to follow".
jmraker
If our bodies were programmed to do things wouldn't there be no almost mistakes, hardly any variations of personality, barely any free will?

I asked my imaginary robot about this... Razz

JoryRFerrell wrote:
Does it make you a robot if you only do what your body is programmed to do?

If my robotic body is doing what it's programmed to do then there are no error messages on my error log. I am fully operational.
JoryRFerrell wrote:
If you feel there is something wrong with being a robot, what would you say to the argument
that engaging in homosexuality (not because of genetic factors, but because of choice) is actually
less robotic, assuming the ability to choose outside of your "intended design" makes one a non-robot, while following it's sole intent, makes one a robot?

My software does not feel emotions, I lack the physical sensors to operate in the manner specified with another robot. I do not have a gender, the appearance of a gender is a simulation. If you wish to change my gender you can do so in my configuration. My licensing allows only one copy of me running at a time. As a hardware device I cannot reproduce sexually or asexually and I cannot manufacture a free robot for you. Some aspects of my intended design can be changed through licensed software add-ons. They are on sale for 10% off for a limited time.
CHAOS-THEORY
i thing the further thing to resemble the human body with is a robot... can't u see the difference dude.
robot can do only what it is programmed to do; human body can rotate 60% more of it's limited rotation ( entorse ) .... now level up ur infos.


okey i just made up that entorse thing... but that doesn't mean humans are robots..
JoryRFerrell
CHAOS-THEORY wrote:
i thing the further thing to resemble the human body with is a robot... can't u see the difference dude.
robot can do only what it is programmed to do; human body can rotate 60% more of it's limited rotation ( entorse ) .... now level up ur infos.


okey i just made up that entorse thing... but that doesn't mean humans are robots..


Everything is a form of robot. That includes us. We are simply a robot which uses a much broader range of chemicals to do it's computations, as compared to a metal robot. Our cells collaborate to form complex behaviors because of a chemical code (DNA). That is not something we can deny. Also, the same physics that make electricity run through robots, causes electrical pulses within our brains so we can think. The only difference between us a robots in terms of the physics support of our hardware, is that our brains involve broad ranges of chemicals alongside the electricity to pass messages. But even then, that line is blurring. Scientists are currently using broad ranges of chemicals for batteries, in order to create a charge potential (and create a flow of electrons/electricity). This is how neurons work.
Our neurons build up a charge potential by acquiring ions, and if enough are accumulated, the neuron fires. Your remote control car won't move if the charge potential in the remote control transmitter isn't great enough to power it's circuit to transmit a message, or if the charge potential created by the on-board battery isn't large enough to move it's motors. There is a huge similarity in the operational physics of metal robots and humans. Like it or not, we are robots. We are simply a different type of robot, in the same way that mostly carbon based cpu's will still be computers, just like their silicon counter-parts, or even a quantum computer utilizing a hydrogen atom.
Mrs_Robota
we are not robots while we have a soul
although Asperger sindrome can make you very close...
JoryRFerrell
Mrs_Robota wrote:
we are not robots while we have a soul
although Asperger sindrome can make you very close...


What is the soul? Is the soul responsible for your personality? No. Your brain is.
Prove it? Ok. Easy.

Would you be a different person without your memories? Yes. So if we removed your ability to remember events in your life by taking out your hippo-campus, you would end up a very different person. Your ability to speak, see, hear, or in any other way interact with the world could be removed by taking out chunks of your brain. So the brain is central to our existence. It IS US. Remove the brain and what makes you YOU is no longer present. I could pump you full of chemicals and make you rage around trying to destroy things. I could dope you up to the point that you become so depressed that you hate existence and "off" yourself or simply lie in bed forever. There is no soul outside of the neural connections...the Ghost In The Machine (excellent anime btw) formed by the interactions of our neural networks is what makes us. Not some incorporeal being. This does not mean our existence has no meaning. In fact it has more. Because in this scenario, our existence is finite, limited. We will technically never exist again, even if after an eternity, all the atoms in our body were to still exist and reassembled themselves to replay out our lives. That would be an entirely different person. WE are special because we abstractly exist....and then we don't. Few things in existence (compared to the total matter and objects formed by that matter, in the entire universe)
exist in the way we do, with contemplation of our surroundings and fellow beings, being our primary focus. It is knida unfortunate that we ourselves don't get to decide when we die, but that is the way of things. It is our responsibility to not let our fear rule us, and to make sure it doesn't cause us to go out persecuting others because we can't handle that fear and so latch onto something which comforts our own psyche, but harms that of another.
Related topics
Does anyone know how to get your site to appear higher ?
Question: How long does it take for the subdomain to work?
Taiwan- China or U.S.
Robots.txt
How many pot smokers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
Booting time
What are Keywords & why we shld add to our website?
HOW TO ENSURE THAT VIRUS DOES NOT SPREAD THRU YOUR ADDRESSBk
No vbulletin/IPB? Does that mean no forums?
How long does one have to wait
Robot.txt and Meta tags
What are your views on Peter Crouch and his robot dance?
Forum search does not work well.
Family Guy!
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Politics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.