FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Earthquake?

dclark1104
Who know when the latest major earthquake was???
CHAOS-THEORY
in jupiter 1962 ???
Bluedoll
2013-11-26 20:45:44.0
1hr 46min ago
23.01 S 68.92 W 102 2.8 ANTOFAGASTA, CHILE

2013-11-26 15:37:32.0
6hr 55min ago
28.43 N 139.57 E 448 4.4 BONIN ISLANDS, JAPAN REGION

http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/
SonLight
Some interesting answers to this quite simple question. My response might have started with the word "Google", or better yet "DuckDuckGo".

I don't know what to make of the "Jupiter 1962" answer; I'm wondering if that refers to a real historic seismic event? In any case, it overlooks a more recent shakeup there -- Shoemaker-Levy in 1992 (or '91)? Ok, not on Earth, so not an 'earth'quake, and not a standard seismic event -- but surely the greatest shaking anywhere in the Solar system for millenia, probably for many millions of years!

Bluedoll, I like your reply. Obviously neither 2.8 nor 4.4 qualify as major, but you show us the power of a useful site which may well give a detailed answer if it's got plenty of history!

Frihost -- a place to find answers just a little bit out of the ordinary.
gwencorwin123
Yeah that sounds lil bit funny-not on earth so not earthquake. I too read that report which says occurrence of seismic effect on Jupiter. But it was not so much I think.
CHAOS-THEORY
okey then, JupiterQuake it is...
this reminds me of Snickers.
kaysch
Bluedoll wrote:

http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/

I find this site pretty comprehensive, too.
http://www.volcanodiscovery.com/earthquakes/today.html
Since I have a very close friend in Chile I watch this site quite regularly. It's amazing to see how many earthquakes there are every day.
Over the last 2 days Northern Chile was hit several times by major earthquakes, the biggest had a magnitude of 8,2 point on the Richter scale. 970,000 people were evacuated, even the prime minister Ms Bachelet had to be saved as her hotel was only 40 m away from the coast. Fortunately the waves of the predicted tsunamis were rather shallow. However I don't want to imagine myself to be evacuated in the middle of the night and spending the night in my car...
The good news is that Chileans seems to be pretty used to earthquakes as they happen so often over there. At least my friend could not be more relaxed... Amazing. Where I live there are no earthquakes whatsoever.
What about you people? Are there any earthquakes where you live and how do you cope with it?
deanhills
[quote="kaysch"]
Bluedoll wrote:

The good news is that Chileans seems to be pretty used to earthquakes as they happen so often over there. At least my friend could not be more relaxed... Amazing. Where I live there are no earthquakes whatsoever.
What about you people? Are there any earthquakes where you live and how do you cope with it?
I don't know how any person could ever get used to earthquakes. That would be one good reason why I wouldn't want to live in Chile or even California for that matter.
kaysch
[quote="deanhills"]
kaysch wrote:
Bluedoll wrote:

I don't know how any person could ever get used to earthquakes. That would be one good reason why I wouldn't want to live in Chile or even California for that matter.

Well, she lives in Valparaiso and feels quite safe in her earthquake-proof house. And as earthquakes happen so often over there, I guess after some time one gets used to it. I have never experienced any so far. And although in general I would describe myself as a curious person this is a type of excitement I do not really long for.
deanhills
kaysch wrote:
this is a type of excitement I do not really long for.
Totally agreed. If I can help it, I like to stay away from areas with extremes of weather like hurricanes and tornadoes too. Why look for trouble when one has a choice in the matter? Very Happy