FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How does heart rate monitors on exercise bikes work?

Peterssidan
How does heart rate monitors on exercise bikes and treadmills work? I mean the kind where metallic sensors are placed on the handles and it measures the heart rate when you place both your hands on the sensors.

Is it just receiving signals from the body itself or is it actually sending electricity through your body and heart? Could it be dangerous?
badai
the metal electrodes form a crude ECG/EKG. sweat from your palms form the electrolyte that bridges the ECG signal from your body to the electrodes. the quality of signal is far from ideal so it won't latch onto your heart rate immediately, but slowly as the sweat builds up and it sets up the redox that converts biopotential to an electrical signal.

could it be dangerous? if it could, hospital won't run ECG /EKG test on patients.
Peterssidan
I was pretty sure it wasn't health threatening dangerous. I was more thinking if it could be damaging if done too much, but if there is nothing going in to the body it can't be dangerous. Not even a little damaging that scientists have failed to notice yet. That is good to know. I have always felt a bit uncomfortable using them but thanks to your explanation I will feel safe using them now. Very Happy