FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

You know a holiday is coming when

standready
Here in the US, we get at least one week advance notice of an upcoming holiday because you see fuel prices jump. Now, I knew Thanksgiving was coming but last Thursday the fuel station stations made that official when they raised the price of fuel by 10 percent so they could feast upon those weary travelers.
watersoul
The robbing gangsters, same with airfares and hotels/leisure facilities during school half term/Summer/Winter holidays here in the UK.
I do wonder if I was in that game though, would I just charge more like every other business because I know I could get it, i think I probably would.

Now another reason you know holidays are coming in the UK right now is when we see adverts for lame 'power ballad' rock CD's being pushed as 'Dads perfect gift' haha.
Vanilla
watersoul wrote:
The robbing gangsters, same with airfares and hotels/leisure facilities during school half term/Summer/Winter holidays here in the UK.
I do wonder if I was in that game though, would I just charge more like every other business because I know I could get it, i think I probably would.

Here if you want to spend the holidays on a famous beach, be prepared to sell your kidneys. I was reading some news about the world cup next year and some hotels will be charging up to six times the regular value. I wish I was filthy rich so I wouldn't need to complain about prices.

watersoul wrote:
Now another reason you know holidays are coming in the UK right now is when we see adverts for lame 'power ballad' rock CD's being pushed as 'Dads perfect gift' haha.

Oh god the music! We are hearing these holiday-ish songs since September and I feel I'll go crazy way before Christmas. :-&
playfungames
Here in Kathmandu, you know it's a holiday when there are crowds of people shopping for clothes. The streets are packed and the roads are filled with traffic jams. Clothing stores give discounts and have those huge signs that says up to 10%, 20%,50% off. People just seem to enter those stores with such signs.

Then during the main day of the holiday, everyone goes to their home town and the streets are empty and it is like heaven for 3-5 days. Then the crowds come back and the normal lifestyle resumes.
grofet
Here in my country some food ingredients have price increase about a month before the big holiday "Eid al-Fitr". That's not a problem for me and my family. Inflation before holiday is a normal thing in my country.
Pippo90
When hardworking people start to chill out! Cool
deanhills
I seem to have always lived in places frequented by seasonal tourists. And this is so true, just before the season starts there are enormous price hikes all over, particularly in accommodation and food. Like a give away. We used to talk about it too. Tourists are coming...
spinout
When you see the "holidays are comming" commercial on telly, coca cola...
Panicing in general, everything has to be planned in detail.... so stupid...
deanhills
spinout wrote:
When you see the "holidays are comming" commercial on telly, coca cola...
Panicing in general, everything has to be planned in detail.... so stupid...
Well mostly yes, but there could be some nice opportunities too for sports, special shows, etc. There is at least some redeeming things to enjoy as well. Although in my case I'm usually more focused to escape them. I'm thinking of the July Fire Works competition in English Bay, Vancouver, BC. I just hate what it's doing to all of the birds and animals in Stanley Park. Not only the noise, but the tourists dumping all of their debris in the Park.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
I seem to have always lived in places frequented by seasonal tourists. And this is so true, just before the season starts there are enormous price hikes all over, particularly in accommodation and food. Like a give away. We used to talk about it too. Tourists are coming...
Same here for me, Winter population is around 130,000 but in the Summer it rises to over 200,000 with tourists and English language students.
When local businesses know you are local you get major discounts, but it is certainly not spoken about openly as in this tightly regulated society such practices are legislated against and/or frowned upon.
spinout
christmas is Jul-afton in swedish - and jul is almost hjul and it is pronounced the same. Hjul means wheel - so many had the "sporty" tradition to ride their motorcycles on christmas eve... in the snow...