FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

George Orwell

cartoonistone
He wrote some great stuff. 1984 was good, and it's refrenced by many modern TV shows / comedies. Whenver you hear of an "Orwellian" something, it means an opressive all-controlling thing. He also came up with the concept of "Big Brother" I think (as in "Big Brother is watching you").

I also like his essay "Shooting an Elephant".
igor123d
I read "1984" and "Animal Farm" by him and I greatly enjoyed the books. They gave a powerful examination of the folly and tragedy of totalitarian regimes and their utopian fallacies.
mtoni
I had to read 1984 for a school assignment. (I am dutch)
It was really hard for me to come 'into' the story.
The story just goes to slow in the beginning.
Ioana
cartoonistone wrote:
He also came up with the concept of "Big Brother" I think (as in "Big Brother is watching you").

"Big Brother is watching you" is exactly quotet from 1984.

I really loved that book. But it has to do with the fact that I was in a country where it was forbidden and perfectly suited some of the sociopolitical phenomena around. It wasn't abstract or science fiction when reading it, becuase it contained a lot of truth. And it still suites many places with different systems nowadays.
tyxl
i had 2 read animal 2years ago for school (i'm from belgium)
kuad
I swear there was another George Orwell thread somewhere around here, but whatever.

I've only read Animal Farm which was a good book. I keep saying that I'm going to read 1984 but I always end up procrastinating for some reason, even though I think I'll like it, since it's another dystopian type novel like Brave New World.
Phi
The only "George Orwell" book I've read is 1984, and the entire totalitarian concept really scared me :/ Whenever people talk of George Orwell, the first thing that pops up into my mind is "1984". Doubt that will ever change Razz
superdork
Reading George Orwell's book 1984 is what got me interested in these futuristic genre books. Not typically science fiction but more like totalitarianism and government oppression. Animal farm was a fast read. The movie for Animal farm was okay I guess. It didn't really surprise me that much. Didn't stick much to the books story.