FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is Dell FX5200 AGP Win 7 compatable?

bukaida
My onboard video Intel Extreme graphics 2 on Intel 865GBF is not supported by win 7 and it is not possible to go for an upgrade at this moment. One of the E-Bay site is selling Dell NVidia FX 5200-128MB ( 2nd hand ) which he claims to be compatible with win 7 ( No ready made driver, have to use Vista driver). How far the information is correct? Will I go for it? The main purpose of this machine is to browse the net and movie/multimedia. No gaming. It will be connected to Dell 2030 LED monitor. The present system has 3GB DDR 400 RAM with P4 2.4/1MB/533MHz CPU. It has only AGP slot, so hardly have other alternatives.
william
Should be. If I recall correctly, the drivers for it install automatically on Windows 7, and it supports Aero. I will say, I used to have an FX 5200, and it was a pretty poor card performance wise. AGP still lets you use GeForce 6000 series and 7000 series cards, so perhaps one of those might be available at a similar price? Wouldn't hurt to check. If not, you'll probably be fine for web browsing, but full HD media decoding won't be that great without some tweaking.
johans
william wrote:
Should be. If I recall correctly, the drivers for it install automatically on Windows 7, and it supports Aero. I will say, I used to have an FX 5200, and it was a pretty poor card performance wise. AGP still lets you use GeForce 6000 series and 7000 series cards, so perhaps one of those might be available at a similar price? Wouldn't hurt to check. If not, you'll probably be fine for web browsing, but full HD media decoding won't be that great without some tweaking.

Yup, I agree.. drivers are automatically installed on windows 7 except for wifi driver i guess.
bukaida
Unfortunately more powerful drivers are available in lesser price but under PCI express interface. I have a P4 2.8GHz(HT)/800MHz FSB/1MB Cache CPU on Intel 865 GBF with 3GB DDR1-400 MHz RAM. It should be sufficient to support Win 7 with Aero. What do you say ?

The main purpose of this machine is to browse the net and see Movies. It is being used by my 75 yrs old Dad. He will not play any games Smile . It was doing fine with Win XP until Microsoft announced to withdraw the support.
watersoul
bukaida wrote:
It is being used by my 75 yrs old Dad. He will not play any games Smile

Aw, sorry I can't help with your query but that line was nice and really made me smile Smile
william
I suppose that makes sense since the AGP GeForce 6000 and 7000 series weren't all that common. That system should be able to run Windows 7 with Aero without too much trouble, but do consider turning off Aero for added performance. My only concern is that if your dad wants to watch HD quality movies, the system might struggle.
bukaida
william wrote:
I suppose that makes sense since the AGP GeForce 6000 and 7000 series weren't all that common. That system should be able to run Windows 7 with Aero without too much trouble, but do consider turning off Aero for added performance. My only concern is that if your dad wants to watch HD quality movies, the system might struggle.

I think it should run 720p rip. The internet speed is still horrifying in India, so no question of 1080p. Mostly DVD quality movie rips will do fine.

Considering turning off AERO if needed.
Josh255
bukaida wrote:
william wrote:

I think it should run 720p rip. The internet speed is still horrifying in India, so no question of 1080p. Mostly DVD quality movie rips will do fine.

Considering turning off AERO if needed.

I would recommend turning of AERO.

If he is going to watch h.264 / .mp4 videos a Pentium 4 will not suffice. avi, divix, wmv or mpeg 2 video files should play fine.