FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CHICKENS DON'T NEED THEIR HEADS

nickfyoung
I find that a bit difficult to believe. They are claiming that a chook lived for 18 months after having it's head cut off. I have cut off the heads of chooks and while they do run round a bit afterwards spraying a lot of blood, they eventually drop dead ready for the hot water and plucking. Can someone explain how a chook could live for 18 months with no head.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/crazy-facts-weve-learned-from-science/story-fn5fsgyc-1226758995145
Ankhanu
Apparently the chop was somewhat... off. His head wasn't completely severed, leaving behind an ear and much of the brain stem... enough of the brain stem to maintain body function. There was a lot of "good luck" involved as well, where the wound missed the carotid and clotted quickly, unlike those you'd beheaded properly.

Most motor function and body regulation are controlled by the brainstem, not the cerebral lobes, cerebellum, etc. Those areas function more in cognition, sensory processing, etc. So, with a lot of help being fed, watered and cared for, Mike had enough brain left to be a walking vegetable.
johans
FYI.

Dont you know that All parts of Chicken can be eaten except there feathers.
grofet
Chicken feathers can be eaten by animal. So, all of them are useful for foods. Miracle is everywhere. So headless chicken is just a miracle. Not all headless animal would be dead. Some of animal can live without it's head. Some of animal can regenerate it's head to get a new head easily without problem.
Peterssidan
grofet wrote:
Some of animal can regenerate it's head to get a new head easily without problem.

Really? Which animals can do this?
Vanilla
Peterssidan wrote:
grofet wrote:
Some of animal can regenerate it's head to get a new head easily without problem.

Really? Which animals can do this? (Don't say Siamese twins)

Well, Axolotls can regenerate limbs and parts of their brain. I know some spiders can regenerate limbs too.
DesquisiadoMoral
Quote:
Dont you know that All parts of Chicken can be eaten except there feathers.

I don't imagine eating the brain or eyes of a chicken. Shocked
Ankhanu
Vanilla wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
grofet wrote:

Really? Which animals can do this? (Don't say Siamese twins)

Well, Axolotls can regenerate limbs and parts of their brain. I know some spiders can regenerate limbs too.

Planaria.
Peterssidan
Vanilla wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
grofet wrote:
Really? Which animals can do this?
If they can regenerate big parts of their brain that is impressive but what grofet claimed was that some animals could regenerate their whole head.

Ankhanu wrote:
Planaria.
Wikipedia wrote:
Some planarians exhibit an extraordinary ability to regenerate lost body parts. For example, a planarian split lengthwise or crosswise will regenerate into two separate individuals.
Interesting. I have heard the same about normal earth worms but I'm not sure if it's true about them too.
playfungames
There is this tradition in my country, where they cut chickens at home. My friend's inexperienced brother was responsible for it. They were in the terrace of their house while this happened. His brother tried to kill the chicken by cutting off its head. Half of the head was chopped off and the bleeding chicken ran away, down through the steps to the ground floor. So the chicken did survive for some time with its half cut head. But this was no science experiment, it was just an accident.

And some quite informative posts on this thread. I never though animals could regenerate heads or at least part of their brain. I wish we could do this with limbs.
spinout
haha, bizarre and funny.

I remembered me n my cousin do alot of scientific testing on flies n other bugs. Like, if you put a weight in the ass of a big fly can it then only fly up because of the heavy behind? How long lives big flies with a head twisted a 360...

I also remembered we played tennis with night butterflies. I also had the luck of having a ant-road close and if you poked an ant hard from behind it attacked the ant behind it. This led to big ant fights - quite amazing for a child.