FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Eating chocolate lowers fat, says study

nickfyoung
Some good news for chocolate lovers at last. Surveys show that chocolate may be good for your weight control which means you can now enjoy a piece of chocolate without that guilty feeling. There is no such thing as a piece of chocolate for me because once I start I generally nibble away till the whole lot is gone. That means I don't eat any dinner so maybe that is why chocolate is good for weight control. Anyway, I will continue to enjoy a nibble of chocolate every now and then and not feel so guilty about it. My wife generally gets me a block of chocolate when she buys the groceries as a treat, she knows I like it, and that reminds me, it has been a couple of weeks since I had any. Time to drop a hint or two.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/eating-chocolate-lowers-fat-says-study/story-fneuzkvr-1226759252500
rx9876
Some studies also say coffee helps to lower fats,
but I think people misunderstood the studies about chocolate and coffee.

Chocolate and coffee contain caffeine, and caffeine will increase the Norepinephrine
and Hormone Sensitive Lipase to promote metabolism.
However, caffeine also increase the gastric acid, which cause people eat more foods.

In the actual situation, few people take chocolate or coffee without sugar or sweets.
I can say that caffeine helps, but only in some ways.
People have to exercise during the period in order to burn the fats,
or the effect is negligible.

It even increases fats if people don't exercise and eat chocolate and coffee with sweets.
grofet
So what we have to is just to find and eat low caffeine chocolate. That is the best way for us to get a long-term health. We have also to reduce sugar from our chocolate to avoid obesity and diabetes problems. Chocolate is very delicious that can makes people forget about the side effects that can kills people.
Gregoric
Every single thing that your organism considers 'good' - except the artificially produced, like drugs - won't do you any harm as long as you don't overuse it. That's simply true, if you eat small amounts of chocolate, it will bring you only benefits.

Anyways, after donating blood in my country, one is given 8 chocolate bars to supply body with calories. I don't think that the medical centre would give me something harmful Very Happy
sonam
I am living on coffee and chocolate and I am not too fat. Even more some friends say "You are so thin". My body state absolutely confirms this two studies. Laughing

Sonam
johans
the study is proven but not all types of chocolate i guess. As far as i know it would be dark chocolate that can loose weight.
rx9876
Gregoric wrote:
Every single thing that your organism considers 'good' - except the artificially produced, like drugs - won't do you any harm as long as you don't overuse it. That's simply true, if you eat small amounts of chocolate, it will bring you only benefits.

Anyways, after donating blood in my country, one is given 8 chocolate bars to supply body with calories. I don't think that the medical centre would give me something harmful Very Happy

How generous they are!
My neighbor blood donating station just give 2 pieces of factory-made small cookies.
deanhills
Agreed Nick. Chocolate seems to be a trigger food for a lot of people. Almost like a drug for some as it just seems to have a magic link-in with the pleasure centers in our brain. I used to be quite a chocolate fan, and when I was, it was impossible for chocolate to survive in my presence. Not even in my fridge. Lately though, maybe for the last two years or so, I've just lost interest in chocolate. Can't believe it. I've got chocolates in my drawer at work, and am totally dispassionate about them. They're Galaxy as well, and growing stale now - almost a year old. Twisted Evil

I don't think chocolate is bad though. It's a good source of energy if it isn't eaten to excess. When taken in excess it can be toxic. I remember a few years ago when a dog of my friend got hold of some liquor chocolates waiting to be gift wrapped for Xmas presents, while my friend was out shopping. When she returned, the dog, Tess, was lights out, and she of course rushed her to the Vet. The vet then told her that Tess would have died if she had not brought her to the Vet, and not from the alcohol, but the chocolate. Chocolate in great quantity can be toxic.

I don't think fat is as bad as they make it out to be either. We need fat. Provided of course it's the right kind of fat and we don't eat it to excess. Problem is with the commercial chocolate we buy, there are so many additives, stablizers etc in the chocolate that are much more harmful to us than the fat in the chocolate.
amagard
I have been reading about a study these days (see also here this German article in focus.de ) saying that actually eating fat helps lowering fat. Sounds a bit weird first but here is the reasoning: if you eat a good piece of meat you are full for at least half a day. Eating "low-fat" food increases the chance of getting hungry again soon and then eating more "low-fat" food, containing lots of carbohydrate. All this carbohydrate is stored as fat in your body if you eat too much of it.
My father used to say: eat everything. I think this is the key: a well balanced diet.
Insanity
Everything in moderation. Even moderation. These studies remind me of studies like the ones that say alcohol is good for you. It's easy to use these studies and results to indulge when the idea is to have just a little bit. Too much of pretty much anything will kill you. Or it's not good for you for sure.
deanhills
I've just hit on something interesting about chocolate last night. I was Googling it to see what nutrition it has, and then discovered that large chocolate manufacturers like Hershey's and Cadbury's are using a special ingredient PGPR to replace a large portion or sometimes the better part of the cacao butter. Any goodness that one can talk about is in the cacao of the chocolate, and it would appear that Hershey's and Cadbury's are replacing some of the chocolate, including the famous "healthy dark chocolate" with PGPR, which has no nutrition and could potentially be detrimental to health in large quantities.

Have you ever wondered why some chocolate is creamy, while other chocolate has difficulty melting in the mouth? Well the reason is that the creamy chocolate has real cacao in it, the hard chocolate that is difficult to melt contains mostly, if not all PGPR.

Here is a description of what PGPR is:

Quote:
Big corporate chocolate manufacturers like Hershey’s do not sell true chocolate products. It is too expensive for them to provide you with real chocolate, so they use an ingredient call Palsgaard4150 (PGPR) in all of their products. PGPR is a substitute for coca butter. Without coca butter, which is derived from the cacao, pod the FDA does not allow any manufacturer to claim that it is a 100 percent chocolate product. You’ll see things like made with chocolate or chocolaty on their labels. The FDA deemed PGPR safe for humans as long as you restrict your intake to 7.5 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. Otherwise you’d be open to reversible liver enlargement at higher intakes. Hershey’s even touts this ingredient as being a non-GMO. In the ever-lasting quest to find low cost ingredients in order to maintain profitability, Hershey’s has even used palm oil, partially hydrogenated vegetable oils in their products instead of cocoa butter. All of these ingredients will not allow Hershey to claim their products as being true chocolate ones. The moral of the story is to stay away from large chocolate manufactures that need a long shelf life at the corner gas station. We all love chocolate, and the best ones to buy in the marketplace use words like organic, and contain cocoa butter.

Source: http://www.earthyreport.com/site/have-a-little-pgpr-in-your-chocolate/
Deline
Chocolate could be healthy if you eat a small piece of it everyday, but it has to be one of those low sugar and bitter.
deanhills
Deline wrote:
Chocolate could be healthy if you eat a small piece of it everyday, but it has to be one of those low sugar and bitter.
Depending whether the tiny piece of chocolate you are eating is REAL chocolate. As Hershey's selling those "healthy" chocolates which after research showed it doesn't contain real chocolate in it or if it does, in a very minute quantity - we REALLY need to read the label. It contains PGPR that has no nutrition in it whatsoever. Since it has no cacao fat in it and no nutrition, of course Hershey can sell it as low-fat. I doubt after my research of two nights ago, I'll EVER eat a Hershey bar again. I protest!

Here's a good explanation by an ex Hershey lover ....

DesquisiadoMoral
I don't think so. Contain fats and could increase your Cholesterol. Shocked Shocked
neozz
rx9876 wrote:
Some studies also say coffee helps to lower fats,
but I think people misunderstood the studies about chocolate and coffee.

Chocolate and coffee contain caffeine, and caffeine will increase the Norepinephrine
and Hormone Sensitive Lipase to promote metabolism.
However, caffeine also increase the gastric acid, which cause people eat more foods.

In the actual situation, few people take chocolate or coffee without sugar or sweets.
I can say that caffeine helps, but only in some ways.
People have to exercise during the period in order to burn the fats,
or the effect is negligible.

It even increases fats if people don't exercise and eat chocolate and coffee with sweets.

Yes! coffees can burn some fats, it contains Caffeine the natural fat burner. Green tea extract, grape seed extracts are also do
spinout
I believe high % chocolate is good for the health. That super yummy low % is what I eat all the time Laughing
jajarvin
Eating it self do not make you fat. There are many factors that are more important if you do not want to be fat.
Da Rossa
I do eat a lot of milk-based, low cacao chocolate. Doesn't work for fat losing!!
pravojednostavno
Quote:
Eating chocolate lowers fat, says study

if only that could be true Crying or Very sad
markharris
This study will be for some specific chocolate for sure
Aredon
All dietary science relies on a great many other factors, but just from a practical standpoint you can know that chocolate with little to no sugar will be far better for you than the alternative. Cocoa is usually regarded as a superfood, and so it's not really surprising that health benefits would be found from eating it. However... I still think the common sense "everything in moderation" is the way to go here. If you look at these studies and go "well now I should just eat a lot of chocolate and ill be fine!" you're not understanding.

Also this is what probably should have been linked instead of the article. Who cares about the editor's opinions and conjecture: Association between chocolate consumption and fatness in European adolescents
spinout
Only the high % bars have this effect. Our main brand Marabou is the opposite, but tastes like heaven!
zacky
In my own opinion, I think Chocolate itself what makes you fat in the first place but sugars and other add on to the flavor of chocolate.

Plus even more, having a Chocolate bar in a day wont really make you fat until you start to eat some other foods along with Chocolate that more than of the quantities of your body needs.
grofet
zacky wrote:
In my own opinion, I think Chocolate itself what makes you fat in the first place but sugars and other add on to the flavor of chocolate.

Plus even more, having a Chocolate bar in a day wont really make you fat until you start to eat some other foods along with Chocolate that more than of the quantities of your body needs.

Yes that's right, sugar, milk and other component / ingredient in chocolate is the problem. If we consume the pure chocolate only maybe we can have the the effect of lowering fat in our body. The food we eat is also should be more healthy. Avoid eat junk food is also very important to reduce fat in our body. Eat more natural food such as fruit and vegetable is also important.