FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Should a marriage between 2 satanists be legally recognized?

JoryRFerrell
If satanists get married, isn't that technically not a valid marriage? Isn't a marriage supposed to be blessed by god and governed by his law? What if Satanists perform the marriage in such a way as to purposefully further desecrate the sanctity of the ceremony and intend to make a mockery of marriage in whatever ways they have managed to design? Should Christians/Muslims/Jews seek to criminalize or constitutionally ban Satanic marriages? Should anti-same-sex-marriage folks also strive to take away marriage rights from Satanists? Is it immoral to raise children in a Satanist household? Should satanist couples be able to adopt kids?

Also, slight detour: Is it a violation of the religious freedom of gays who are of a religious denomination
which accepts or even promotes gay marriage, to be told that they are not allowed to be married because a law does not permit it?
handfleisch
JoryRFerrell wrote:
If satanists get married, isn't that technically not a valid marriage?

In what country do you live? In the USA, marriages are secular and performed by a clerk. Depending on the state, there can be almost nothing to it--just signing some papers. No one asks you if you are some religion or not.
badai
handfleisch wrote:
JoryRFerrell wrote:

In what country do you live? In the USA, marriages are secular and performed by a clerk. Depending on the state, there can be almost nothing to it--just signing some papers. No one asks you if you are some religion or not.

maybe he was thinking about the "holy matrimony" thing, where you take a vow before God.

but then again, no matter who/what your witness is/are, if you don't register it, it won't be LEGALLY recognized.

LEGALLY. that's the keyword.

Also, if you think you have a right to practice your religious rites, why would you deny the same thing to Satanist and LGBT?

Why not just openly declare you are a biggot and we should kill all Satanist and LGBT? that would make your feel better.
JoryRFerrell
badai wrote:
handfleisch wrote:
JoryRFerrell wrote:

maybe he was thinking about the "holy matrimony" thing, where you take a vow before God.

but then again, no matter who/what your witness is/are, if you don't register it, it won't be LEGALLY recognized.

LEGALLY. that's the keyword.

Also, if you think you have a right to practice your religious rites, why would you deny the same thing to Satanist and LGBT?

Why not just openly declare you are a biggot and we should kill all Satanist and LGBT? that would make your feel better.

I am not sure if you were thinking my questions were from an anti-gay position or something, but that is not the case. I was asking this from the perspective that people discriminate against homosexuals supposedly because it violates god's law, while they would completely ignore Satanic marriages. Also, if it shouldn't be legal to discriminate against Satanist's, why should they be able to implement laws against homosexuals?
SpaceInvader75
Quote:

The answer to your first question depends on your perspective.

Now the legal question is easily yes, although people could debate whether it should be or not, and I would certainly welcome that! Smile

If you believe in God would you believe that 2 Satanists have the right to be married? Well, that would depend on which God you believe in. Now, if you are a Satanist, I'm assuming you would believe Satan is god? I find it difficult to comprehend Satanism, except in the rebellious sense, which I don't see anything wrong with; it's just hard for me to make logical sense of. But then again, so is the belief in God, or at least the God I was taught about, which I'm assuming would be the God that is referenced in marriage vows, but who really knows?

It is definitely a question that could use more discussion, in my opinion. Twisted Evil
sunitazthreading
Just give me a point man.
JoryRFerrell
sunitazthreading wrote:
Just give me a point man.

No dice. You must work for it...
JoryRFerrell
handfleisch wrote:
JoryRFerrell wrote:

I am aware of this, however, many folks in the United States (and elsewhere) do in fact involve their religion (despite the constitution saying their needs to be a separation of church and state so as to accommodate everyone of different beliefs and lifestyles) in trying to determine who should or should not be allowed to get married. It should be a solely secular issue, but people are intentionally trying to twist the laws because their religion is the correct one to follow and screw all others with different beliefs. This means that marriage for them has a definition that should be forced on everyone else.
This is a direct violation of the first amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."
It is just a covert way of forcing a established religion on others via law. Say gays are the founders of a new Christian denomination which believes that gay marriage is perfectly acceptable.

It is two grown adults making a decision to be with one another, without causing harm to others. How is this a violation of any sensible laws? It's not the same as marrying an animal: Animals cannot give consent. It's not the same as child marriage: children are too young to be able to consent. It is not the same as polygamy (Which you can't really stop outside marriage anyway's. Saying everyone must be married in order to have sex would just not be enforceable due to secrecy and the sheer volume of folks saying "go stuff yourself with your law".): Too many sexual partners creates too many children to take care of reasonably and expect society to be able to accommodate them resource wise. While we shouldn't limit people to having sex with only one person via laws, we shouldn't go giving tax breaks to people and the other perks of marriage when they have multiple partners. That could have a real world negative impact of the health of the economy and resource management, whether or not there is a legal marriage or not. However a 2 person couple (a rich couple) who decide to adopt 20 children is a little different. As long as they can properly provide for and pay attention to all the children, why shouldn't they adopt and care for 20 kids who might otherwise starve to death. ::shrug::

Anyway, few of the things people are socially engineered to accept as right or wrong are based on real-world logic and testing. Time and again, the bible and it's peers have been prove wrong on
a scientific basis, issue after issue. And still people attack issues and the rights of others based on it's "laws", while hypocritically ignoring issues that would seemingly be even more directly against their cause....
RoylanM
Satanist shouldn't be in any king of church anyway, in fact, the marriage between Satanist would be the most unholy thing in the house of the Holy Spirit. The day Satanist get legally married is a sad day for the world indeed.
catscratches
You better get sad then cause that day has happened many times over. The current high priest of the Church of Satan is married.
75alex
It depends which marriage you're talking about. In most developed countries (correct me if i'm wrong), marriage is secular, which means it's fully independant from religion. Therefore, people can get married whatever their beliefs are. If you're talking about religious marriage, then i am probably not the best person to give a point of view since i don't believe in god.
Gregoric
1. Define satanist. 2. If satanist is a member of some organisation that is regarded as church (i.e. their members are not mambers of the catholic/whatever church), such a 'marriage' wouldn't happen. 3. If such a 'satanist' is self-called - such a marriage would be valid, I do not see a reason for it not to be.

Of course I mean only the bureaucratic aspect of it, with all the papers, documents etc.; the relationship may not be look like what we concern a relationship between a woman and a man that are married.
abhinavm24
what is satanist btw?
anyway its your choice. If the pair agrees, i don't know why anyone disagree to that :/ ?