FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[OFFICIAL] How do you study?

zzly202
how do you study?

do you study at home or at library?

or where do you go study?

do you have any good ways for study?

i'm here saying this is because i often got confused by the way i study

i got headach as long as i read

so i'm here for help~~~
Davidgr1200
In the days before mp3 players I used to study at home and write notes on a piece of paper. For example, if learning a new language I would write down some words in both languages on my piece of paper. Then, when I was out walking to the bus or waiting in a queue in a shop I would try to remember the words and then check against my piece of paper. The point being that it gave me something to do instead of being bored, so even if the subject was uninteresting, at least it was better than standing in a queue with nothing to do.
mustaq
i usal study before the exam start now every day Laughing
budazz
i dont have a method on how i study...all i want is to learn new
Caxius
in my house
i my soffa
4hours every day
sometimes... listening musci (the soundtrack of lotr Razz )
gonzo
I don't. I pay attention the first time.
lavender
Put everything together and study at last night before an exam. Embarassed
schudder
I don't study... I simply hope I'll pass Razz
Seriously though, usually I just start at the very last possible minute, forcing myself to stick with it. Usually works, I've only failed two classes in my now complete highschool career. One I couldn't give a f about and the other I still got 47%, so it was close.
gonchiweb
zzly202 wrote:
how do you study?

so i'm here for help~~~

i can study, without problem almost anywhere, but i prefer silence and the most silent place is the library.However, i always study in my desk, where i have lots of material well organizated. Then the best way, in my opinion, is reading, summarize and auto-testing. I think thats all,
byeeeeeeee
Slammer
I usually study for each subject the night before or a few days before, because theres no point in studying for months for something n then you'll have forgot it again by the time the exam comes.
Insaniac
Grab a book, turn on the PC, volume 100%, some earwrecking rock, and read until your eyes bleeeeeed!!!!!
Garg
zzly202 wrote:

At home if i'm with a friend, in a library if i'm alone. I find that knowing that poeple around you are working, makes you work a lot more.

zzly202 wrote:

I make resumes of my courses. It takes a whole lot more time, and gives you hand cramps, but that way, i only go through the book/syllabus only one thouroughly and as much as i have time reading my notes (which are sensibly shorter)

You just have to make a good resume (ie select what's important from what is just bla-bla)

Hope it helps
Garg
schudder wrote:
I don't study... I simply hope I'll pass Razz
Seriously though, usually I just start at the very last possible minute, forcing myself to stick with it. Usually works, I've only failed two classes in my now complete highschool career. One I couldn't give a f about and the other I still got 47%, so it was close.

Damm !! Where do you live? If High school is that simple i guess i should've gone ther !!
dionet
Quote:
how do you study?

so i'm here for help~~~

I Study every days! Razz Rolling Eyes lol, you don´t believe me? I don´t.

I study in home. (I don´t like to study with other peoples looking to me)
nilsmo
Just like gonzo, I don't study... I get it the first time.
edallica
I’d really suggest not studying with music on. a lot of people do it but very few can pull it off successfully. the amount of people i see sitting in the library just mouthing the words to a song is ridiculous. They are taking up a seat that someone that might actually study needs.

Mp3 players should be banned in libraries.
zzly202
thanks a lot!! guys

i got the ideas

thank u all~
lbs
I sit at my computer with the classical music on, where I have Wikipedia and the rest of the internet at my disposal, and drink it up! Knowledge has become an obsession for me. I am 22 and a diesel mechanic, So I mostly study at night. Anyone here know what a Deltic Engine is? The coolest one ever invented!
zzly202
lbs wrote:
I sit at my computer with the classical music on, where I have Wikipedia and the rest of the internet at my disposal, and drink it up! Knowledge has become an obsession for me. I am 22 and a diesel mechanic, So I mostly study at night. Anyone here know what a Deltic Engine is? The coolest one ever invented!

Deltic Engine is??

what's about it??

never heard of that

what does it do???
speedlikecy
when nearly exam...
study at library is a good choose...
or school...

if i study at home...
hehe!
i will play my computer first... Smile Smile Smile

so study need a good place.
gertjang
I just can't study and concentrate me if i'm not a little bit stressed, so I'll always wait until the very very last minute, even if i know i'll have to work the whole night Embarassed
Antoine_935
gertjang wrote:
I just can't study and concentrate me if i'm not a little bit stressed, so I'll always wait until the very very last minute, even if i know i'll have to work the whole night Embarassed

Just the same for me.
Even if I do not study a lot, I get pretty results : 80.3% at the last report Wink
Grant_Weaver
Those who have stated that they don't study, that they pay attention the first time, are either full of it(perhaps full of themselves) or are in classes that hold to a very low standard of educational achievement.
Zibé
I work with some friends in the library of the university, or faculty... I
don't know how you say that in english... I do medical studies, not
englis dtudies ^^.

I think it's a good way to work, because we can ask each other
about some things. For example, I like bio-physic, bio-chimie, and
physiologie. But I hate biologie... so a friend who like biologie helps me,
and I help him for physic and chimie ( cause he hates that ^^ )

to finish, we work 5 hours a day ( minimum ) in the library... Smile
krapsterhead
To Be honest, the way i study is, going through what we went through in each
subject for the day for about 30 minutes, while listening to my iPod. It's a great way to get things in your head and also listen to your favorite tunes at the same time Smile. And also, the way I read is, I take my finger along the words of the book as I read. I hope i helped!
zzly202
Oh

yes you did!

hehe

thanks a lot for helping me

i really got excellent ideas from you all

afterall

i found that there are a lot people study at library

i think it's really a good place to go for studying

but i'm lazy for going anywhere other than home,

well,to satisfy my laziness,i think i should find out a good way to study

at home,although i couldn't concentrate well ,i'll try
Wink
FlOw
EXAMS???? WHAT ARE THEASE EXAMS YOU SPEAK OF? Shocked ARE THEASE THE THINGS THAT THE ALIENS GAVE US? Confused
kuad
Cramming is the way to go Laughing

Although if I do study, it has to be in a quiet environment
myrevolt
evidently not when I am wasting time on forum posts Razz but yes I am soo a procrastinator....
BigBoss
At home with some music playing, usually.

I also tend to take small breaks after every hour (Like an hour of study, half an hour of break) Otherwise I will get too bored with the material and even though I'll read through it, I won't be paying attention there therefore I'd just be wasting my own time. Gotta have the breaks, hehe.
bdoneck
i just dont study, i can usually grasp information and remember it for a long time, but if i do study i'll readt through my notes then quiz myself on it
mceejaydee
Studying is fun, if it's on something you like, if not then it's boring
jinn666
in my house

during night time

tv switched on

infront of a computer
bao
I study in internet. Cool
Phi
For one, I always study in the day. For some reason the moment the sky darkens, my brain just shuts down by itself >___>;

I like to listen to soft music when I study sometimes, it helps me to be more relaxed so I remember stuff easily Wink I like the library, it's quiet... my room has far too much distractions ):
windval
i study at home because my house is quite big and i have a study room
windrei
um.. i usually study at home. i like staying at a place where i am get known of it to do studying...... although it's quiet in library or study room, i cannot concentrate there... as i feel uncomfortable.
Dillian
i don't study
natalie
i study at home, school, libirary,but the best time for me to study is at night. i am always don't know which way is the best way to study, who can tell me too??
xboy
zzly202 wrote:

We don't need libraries today, we have the Internet.
Jayfarer
I try to go to a library. Otherwise I just study at my dorm. I basically read whatever I'm supposed to read, highlight what seems like a major point, then go back and study the highlighted areas. Takes me forever because I get bored easily.
airh3ad
hmmm simple ..i break and read the my books ..i get some important part of the topic ..the i memorise it..sometimes i cheat..hahahahahahahah
irish_18
I study here in my house. Specifically here in my room. I study the easiest subject then those difficult subjects will be last on my list Smile
3shades
I study at home, with my music turned down really low.

I also like to study outside, (in the summer of course!) because its warm, theres a fresh breeze and it really allows me to concentrate best.

I study worse if there is ANYONE around me, or any distractions like msn.

I also make sure that I have had loads of food, and have relaxed and done something i enjoy before i study. Or else i find it really hard to concentrate and learn because i am always thinking of things i have to do or want to do.

ben,
btocakci
The only time that i study really hard is the previous week of an serious exam.At only this times i sit my desk and read the book seriously.But i cant give up studying while listening rock music, this reaaly motivates me and opens my mind. I dont know, maybe its just a physlocigal concern that i created in my mind. But i believe it works!!!!
I always wanted to study on the day; that means restudy what Ive seen before; but i didnt manage to gain this discipline.
Nevertheless im successful i think... Wink
un4saken
Quote:
Mp3 players should be banned in libraries.

+1
i was kicked out by the director of the library 3 days ago, because a guy was listening music so loud and i told him to turn its vol. down but he didnt, i warned him several times but i got angry and shouted. lol and the director came and said "you are making noise,please move out"
odd.
Confused
jaro
Well actually i too am fairly new to the study scene. I didn't study all through highschool but i also didn't get very good grades but not terrible grades.
I've learned that not taking to big of chunks to study at a time helps. And taking small breaks often. And always read the book and take notes during class. And the most important thing of all is just simply showing up for class, truely just go. trust me
Jimi_Hendrix
I study at home listening to James Marshall Hendrix, led zeppelin, judas priest...and heavy metal, and this method really works. Come on frijeros let´s study a lot. sorry for my english Laughing
OnlyOneLife
I have a problem when studying. I look at the sheet of paper and I'm tired or my brain finds an excuse not to do it. Crying or Very sad Its quite sad. Crying or Very sad
bgdates
I study everywhere when it is possible.. at home, at the university, in the train, in the library, etc.
TimsJugling
- How do I study? - Listaning to Kutless (Christian Rock)

Where do I study? lying down on my bed (lol)

why do I study? Because im sick and tired of being yelled at for not doing something that I really really really hate!!!!!!!!! WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lollolollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollolollollololloll

sry! lol its the truth thought (exept for the last one)
Delirium
how do you study?
I no longer go to school (well university), but when I did I was studying in the subway/bus while going to school and coming back. I very rarely studied at home because it was too easy to open my computer and have fun. In fact, the only time I was using my computer for school was when I had a paper to write. I never studied at the librairy because it's way too quiet there lol gets on my nerves.

My best way is usually to rewrite the notes I took in class and to use a blue marker for the very important parts.

I never take a lot of notes, I don't try to write everything the teacher say. Learning to resume is a must, gives you less to study at the end.

Also, never study if it feels like a torture, wait until you are in the mood. Listen to some music, then study a bit, take a break. Talk to some friend on the phone, then study bit more. It's sounds less like an ordeal when studying is cut down into 20 min periods then a full straight 3hours.
aalmighty
This is purely my own method and it certainly works for me, If it works for you, good, if it doesn't, too bad.

I usually study 6-9 hours a day, and to maintain concentration for that long is difficult, Learning effectively for that long, more so.

First of all, a little theory, In hypnosis, we call a mapping of a feeling to something physical, a physical state or a physical object, an anchor. For example, if you scratch your nose whenever you are happy for say about 20 times, the scratching of nose will get anchored to the happy feeling, so that you will feel happy whenever you scratch your nose.

Now, There has to be someplace in your home or wherever you study that you feel good concentration, may not be study at all, just concentration. For me, I could sit at my computer for bloody hours, And I have, so I took the chair at my computer over to the table in my room where I study, and I could see the difference for myself in hours! I suggest you to do the same, you will feel the difference almost immediately.

Another thing you can do it to make mind maps, they're based on the facts that the mind doesn't process information linearly, it goes in branches and sub-branches and that the mind remembers pictures/shapes better than it does text, on how to make mind maps, you can visit this site here

http://www.jcu.edu.au/studying/services/studyskills/mindmap/

I make my mind maps with pen and paper, but you can use this free application for making mind maps too. don't forget to tell me if it is working well for you or not, dowload the 8MB one.

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/
Keshav
Even though I could study and understand, I never used to remember all of it. But remembering is the key thing for exams, because thats what fetches you the grade. Sad Recently I tried a book on memory management techniques, It was pretty good..I suggest, you guys can also check out many such available book, becos it really helps somehow or the other.
shwetanshu
i start studying seriously a month before the exams in my home, in my room, on my bed, half sitting half kying down, with all watches removed so i dont start thinking i have studying for long time.
Alienz
I study in a quiet place so that I can concentrate.
AnGeLicK
studying... what is that?
gonzo
AnGeLicK wrote:
studying... what is that?

welcome to the club of three
solomagos
I study at home, but just because my home is a quiet place. If I wew you, I'd saudy in a quiet place. I sit and start reading the units and I make summaries of all. Later I read the summaries and try to understand it, not learn it by heart.

I hope this helps you!

Good luck studying!

Bye, Lena
amusic
Study last minutes to store those information in my temporary storage device........lying on the bed and study, when tired then go for a nap.....i heard that a nap after stuying may help in organizing or refreshing what you have studied.

I hope this helps you.

Enjoy studying..... Very Happy
iluvszilardnemeth
It's a question i ask myself everyday! I'm the most useless Law student of all time lol.

I usually just do things when they need doing... but i need to get out of that habit because i'll undoubtedly fail... again!

I do find music does help me but theres been studies that show that its all about individual minds...

Mind maps did help at A level but not so much now - but probably because at uni i haven't got any teachers booting me up the rear to get on with things!!!
abcxyz2
I would like to study in London, in financial collage.
Could anybody help me in this? I mean information.
Thanks.
Marcus
Simply put, I don't study.
guissmo
i study for a few minutes (20??)
then do something else...
then study for another few minutes...
then study for another few minutes...

and i make notes of what was discussed everyday -- it's not that tiring... i type it... heheh... then when the exam comes... i just print the notes...

it's better than making the notes before the exams because u might miss out some of the details... better to type it right after it was discussed.. =)
mjohnson
I usually put everything together and study at last night before an exam.But now I must study everyday at least 10 hours, English, Medicine,and so on.I often study at liberary because there are a lot of people study together and I can ask them quistions!
scott28w
Because I'm at college, I usually study at the library, listening to classical music in a really remote area. We have a place called "stacks" that has hidden places all over the place that you could study for hours with out any human encounter. It's really usefull when I want to get away from my noisy residential hall.
Varun
if i have to study alone then ill put on some music in the background maybe something slow...or mostly i prefer to do combined studies with some good friends
hp-compendium
I study rarely and when I do it is in a quiet place with no distractions.
heady233
Really I don't study. I just don't have to, I only got three grades lower than an A+ in my entire life. But when my mom tells me to study I just read the book and memorize it. Sometimes I study before a mid year assesment, but I've only been through 6 of those. (I'm in 5th grade) The lowest grade I ever got was a B-, I started to cry that day. Sometimes my friend's say that I'm not human, and you know what, I think that's true.
TonkPilz
ohh man school havent bean in a school for about 5-6 years now i dident like it then and i probebly dont now. the reason for that is im the sort of person that needs to use my hands or i get tremendesly bored and restless.

so thats what i usely did whenever i could. For example maths id start building smal models incorporateing the match in to the blueprint in my head . and i culd see directly when i did somting wrong coz that part dident fitt the rest of my creation.

but as u can se id dident have any ting practical to use when it came to language lessons all English i know to day is what i have learned form the Tv, computer games, and forums like this one.

so i guess my tip to u is keep your studis as close to your intrests ans skills as posible

if u tink my English Sux u should se my Swedish Razz
nimf0
Finding a perfect place to study in college is soooooo hard. Mad

Well, I guess that's because I didn't have much of a study habit prior to coming into college, but now that I pretty much need to study to keep up with the college-level curriculum, especially at a big-name university (insert shameless plug of the University of Southern California here) where you're in classes full of prodigies, geniuses (genii?) or neurotic pre-med / pre-law workaholics, studying takes up (or should take up) a lot of your time if you're spending $45,000(USD) a year to get a degree.

So, my secret to success, is working a 9-5. Go to class, pay attention, take thorough notes, and during the times where you don't have lectures, discussions, or laboratories to go to, find your place of zen (mine is at a table near an Asian-esque reflection fountain by the Engineering buildings) and get to work, preferably with a calming music of choice (classical, ballads, slow jams, R&B, etc.).

That way, you could live up to the, "Work hard, play harder," mantra that college students commit to live by. Cool
Lennon
~Once you want to do study your on the right track
kiranaghor
My Apple iBook does everything for me.
I hate writing practical journals.
Academics are really obstacles in one's learning.
Petee
I usually never study. At most I'll page through a review in study hall a few hours before a test or something. It really makes my classmates mad somethimes because I don't study, and they sit there for hours at home studying. I get A's, they get F's, it's quite humorous actually. I can just remember stuff easily, and I pay attention in class. That helps too.
SkullPizza
Sometimes I go to the library, othertimes I just lay in my bed and read. I find that I do alot of my homework in my bed now. Actually all of it.
skaterm
I normally just study at home when theres peace and quiet. If its not really quiet, I get distracted really easily and end up not studying at all. Then I just do some last minute studying before the test if I don't manage to study at all and hope to pass Cool
THE11thROCK™
The best way to study is to study in dvance. I abhor memorization. Yet, I love practice and discipline. Logic and Analogy is my type of game. Nothing beats enough preparation for an upcoming gigantic exam. One word of advise, don't cram.
leorimolo
hook up xbmc or the xbox360 put some red hot chilli pepers music, thats my way, also if its an important test i just sit on my bed and read

LE0
Soulfire
I don't study, I can't study. Recently I've been performing a bit of experiment with myself. Most would agree that the more study time you put in, the higher the grade. I am the opposite. The more I study, the less I remember, and the worse grade I get.

Right now I am straight A's with a 3.95 GPA. I have a photographic memory, sort of, and it's never been a problem for me to memorize the material we are going over.
Biodiesel
I study with friends, and teach them what I know in exchange for what I don't. I don't know how well I would do if I quit working so much and just hit the books, but right now I have a 3.7, which isn't too bad for my junior year as an undergraduate.

As mentioned, it's all about how much you want to study, not so much the grade. I know lots of 4 points, and in the end, it doesn't mean as much when compared to people who get out and do the work in practice. Damn good for getting into the graduate school of your choice though, so nobody take that as grades don't matter. The best students are active in study, research, and practice. It’s one thing to do it in a classroom, another to apply it to life.
zjosie729
zzly202 wrote:
how do you study?

so i'm here for help~~~

1.I study by reviewing
2.I mainly study at home
3.I usually read the things and then try to recite it, making sure I have it secure in my head. For vocab, I use flashcards.

P.S. I don't study for math because I'm just so good at it. I always get above 95's
Dragate
Well I don't know if this will help but people learn in different ways... There are, generally cisual learners, auditory learners and tactile learners (in general).

Here is a test to see which type of learner you are:

Give each of these statements a score from 1 to 10:

1. I remember better from lectures with explanations and discussions.
2. I learn information more easily if it is written on the board.
3. I write down the information I read.
4. I use posters and models in the classroom.
5. I need verbal explanations of diagrams and graphs.
6. I enjoy working with my hands.
7. I enjoy making graphs and charts.
8. I can tell if two sounds match.
9. I remember best by writing this down several times.
10. I can follow directions on maps.
11. I do better at academic subjects by listening to lectures and tapes.
12. I like to play with coins, keys, pens or other objects when learning.
13. I learn to spell by repeating words out loud.
14. I prefer reading newspapers to listening to the radio news.
15. I chew gum or snack when I study.
16. The best way for me to remember something is to picture it in my head.
17. I learn how something works by taking it apart and putting it back together.
18. I would rather listen to a lecture than read the same material in a textbook.
19. I am good at solving jigsaw puzzles and mazes.
20. I grip objects in my hands while learning.
21. I prefer listening to the news on the radio to reading about it in the newspaper.
22. I prefer to get information by reading.
23. I enjoy classes with physical activity and movement.
24. I follow verbal directions better than written ones.

Learning Styles Summary Chart

Visual Auditory Tactile
2. ___ 1. _____ 4. ___
3. ___ 5. _____ 6. ___
7. ___ 8. _____ 9. ___
10. __ 11. ____ 12. __
14. __ 13. ____ 15. __
16. __ 18. ____ 17. __
19. __ 21. ____ 20. __
22. __ 24. ____ 23. __
Total____ _____ _____

Fill in that chart (with scores incorresponding questions) and see what you are highest in and remeber this (important) YOU ARE NOT JUST ONE OF THESE TYPES OF LEARNERS... YOU ARE JUST MORE OF ONE TYPE OF LEARNER THAN THE OTHER TYPE. Let's say you are mostly tactile (most common) that doesn't mean you are only tactile, just more tacitle than auditory. Here is what each learning type means and how you should use it to your studying:

Visual learners: people who learn best by seeing.
1. Visualize yourself successfully performing a task.
2. Take notes. Write out everything for future readings.
3. Keep a journal of what you have learned.
4. Use charts, maps, notes, and flash cards.
5. Make pictures of words, ideas and concepts in your head.
6. Ask your teacher to write on the board.

Auditory learners: people who learn best by hearing.
1. Tape lectures.
2. Read yoru notes or txts our lod.
3. Summarize what you have learned.
4. Explain to others what you have learned.
5. Make a song out of items you need to memorize.
6. Listen to music as you study (as long as it isn't distracting). Match words, ideas and concepts to musical themes.

Tactile learners: people who learn best by "doing".
1. Take notes.
2. Underline or highlight important facts.
3. Make a scrapbook of what you have learned.
4. Act out a poen, story or historical event.
5. Walk through a series of instructions.
6. Build a model or draw a picture to illustrate what you are learning.
7. Create exercises or motions to match words and concepts.

HOPE THIS TEST HELPS if the tips don't work, incorporate your style of visual, auditory or "doing" into your study next time. =D
smitt04
Study... Whats that? ... Just kidding. I try to study in my room with the music on, not blasting off course. I find it better for me anyways, to study with a little music on, it helps me concentrate better for some reason.
coozy
I'm stading at home and my sofa.
I sometimes goes to library.I like read a history book.I don't have metod,my favorite lesson mats and history but i don't like science,chemist.
sniffass
i went through all my school days and four years at uni in England and I still don't know what the best way for me to study is, but what I did seemed to have worked well enough.

Firstly I would try to understand the subject when it was lectured or taught thus minimising what I have to remember later.

For exams I would normally go through the materials the day before the exam and make notes and then memorise these. If the exams were really important (like the finals in uni) then start perhaps three days before and even borrow notes from my friends.

For projects that were my own personal ones I would do about two days before the deadline, meaning I was often composing 3000 word business reports in a day or two. With a permanent internet connection on the computer it was a good way to copy and paste Wink

If my project was large or really important like the dissertation (10,000+ words or my human resources project 15,000 words) I would take nearly a week to put it together. I would work through the night and write at least 2,000 words in a day. I would burn candles with peppermint to help keep me awake and drink coffee by the bucket and also smoke cigarettes.

I would also spend the first half of my time reading all my relevant materials on the subject and then regurgitate them, unless I was making a collage of copy&pastes from the 'net.
meet in rio
I do all Arts subjects, so 'studying' tupically means re-reading the books I'm supposed to be writing about and browsing through SparkNotes.

For Latin, we (effectively) have to learn 30-odd poem translations by heart, so I record them onto a tape and then play it to myself whilst I'm eating/on the net/doing something inane. I also learn my Latin vocab list.
meet in rio
Oh, and:

- Mind maps make me feel like I'm wasting my time.
- I just get distracted by music/other people. I like to know that other people are suffering with me - they just can't be in the same room Razz
- Revising something to death just makes me want to avoid it. In my GCSE English exam a few years back, I knew one of the short stories inside out, and decided not to write about it, as I didn't think my answer would be 'fresh' enough.
- I work best under pressure. This is usually 'I-really-want-to-go-to-sleep,-so-let's-get-this-over-with' pressure.
- If I'm memorising Latin vocabulary, I try to put it in a dumbass sentence, eg: 'I'm going to have an EPULAE party with a FEAST', 'I ENSISt that you carry a SWORD'
hahame
zzly202 wrote:
how do you study?

so i'm here for help~~~

i am still a student,so i study in university with my classmates.sometimes in classroom.sometimes in library,sometimes in dormitory.

as a study, i just read the book and repeat the mathod to make the answer for my exercise.
sour_lemon_1k
how do you study?

Read.

Read.

Read.

Sometimes, I close my eyes and try to recall the information in the section. My mom tells me i need to take notes. That just makes me fall asleep.

Home.

With the internet.

Oh yeah.

Read it three times. If you're awake and paying attention, you'll get most of it.[/b]
Gieter
I study at home, sometimes while my computer is on, sometimes not.

I don't listen to music and try to be concentrated. I read the text and try to get the essential 'stuff' out of the text(s), and then take care that I know the essential stuff. Then I read it again to make sure I know everything.
Saryon
Well I don't really study actually. I know I should, but I don't study as much as I should. My grades aren't that great, but I succeed every time. I suppose I'm just lazy Very Happy
menhao
I always study in the library, because I felt comfort there, more I could get books I need very easily, and the it was usually very quiet in the library.

I like to spent the whole period (a week, a month, or 3 hours) to study without any interuption. because i could calm down to think and learn when i am calm:)

what about you guys?
iglooxue
i study the best with mild background noise which gives me the maximum concentration.
Winterborne
zzly202 wrote:
how do you study?

I study as little as possible. Scanning over most of the material and taking notes that are as brief as possible. Usually there's loud music playing, Rammstein, Cruxshadows, Metallica, Iron Maiden... etc...

zzly202 wrote:

I study at home.

zzly202 wrote:

My bedroom, with my legs propped up and my laptop or books in my lap.

zzly202 wrote:

Well, I wouldn't normally suggest my way of studying unless everything else doesn't work for you. I've never had to study too much to make good grades. Half the time I don't even read the material. It sounds horrible but I absorb more in class and with hands on stuff than I do with just reading a book that is written in a foriegn language they try to pass off as English.

However, I do have a few ideas that might work.

1) Try taking a break every hour, or if you need to every 30 minutes. Get away from the book or computer completely. Get something to eat or drink. Ten to twenty minutes should be plenty of time to get away. I've heard it helps. When I have to study hard I use that technique and it seems to get me through it.

2) Teachers always tell me to find a quiet place sitting up at a desk. This is hard in my house. Thus the loud music. Everyone I've ever got help from about studying tells me not to study in the same place you sleep. I find out why on occasion, and fall asleep before I finish what I need to do.

3) Depending on the subject, the books are usually split up into sections with titles. A teacher in high school once told me to make that title of the smaller sections in the chapter into a question. Then, read until you are able to answer the question. Everything else is useless or unimportant information most of the time.

I hope this helps!
darrenpaul
Well when I studied for the JC (Irish State Exam) I had a kinda weird method, I spoke it out loud as if I was teaching it to a class, and then kinda explained it as if i was specking to a class, kinda weird, worked though got in the top 5% in the country Very Happy I didn't really use this whole sitting behind a desk idea and highlighter stuff. and mind maps, Just learned it, in my own special way Smile
alexxa
Hi!
First of all, it's very important to know the reason for what do you must learn.In the college i learned most of the time home, alone.I needed silence and for that i advice u to choice a special place when do you feel better and your attencion can be concentrate for the study.
admin02159
Well...i spent most of the times at school. From 7 a.m. till 4 p.m. then do homework and so on at home...Hmm...exam...everyday like exam..test test test...already adapted to this circumstance.
indeedwrestling
I know that I'm an evening person. I would often wait until after midnight to start work on a big paper or programming project. Also, I take lots of notes but rarely actually read them or look at them. For me, it seems that the act of writing them down really helps me learn and memorize the material. Similarly, I will skim the book but I have difficulty just sitting there and reading. Hence, I did well in my Economics classes but terrible in English (specifically American Realism of the 19th Century).
04S07
Studying is what we're all expected to do. But when we were in school we were just given textbooks and information and we're just told to study them. Often times we end up being stressed out by the mountain of information that we have to study... and we realise that we can't get all the info into our brain.

That's probably because no one taught us how to study Surprised

So I had a teacher who told us how to study.

It was the 24-3-1 method.

24 hours, 3 days, 1 week method, to be more specific.

Studying alone won't help you remember the info. You must make sure that you revise the info over and over again.

When we first acquire the info/textbook, we just read through the notes.

Within the next 24 hours, we must go through the notes again, this time reading the info more carefully and trying to understand and remember the info.

3 days later, pick up the notes again and do the same thing.

1 week after you first acquired the info, pick up the notes again.

After this study period, remember to revise the stuff over and over again until it gets into your brain.

Those are tips from my teacher. Hope it helps.
04S07
One more thing that another one of my teachers pointed out is Diet and Exercise.

When exams approach, please remember to watch your food intake. Do not eat any heaty stuff. Instead, eat food that gives you lots of antioxidants (eg. fruits and vegetables).

if you find you fall asleep easily when reading your notes and doing practice questions... EXERCISE!

If you feel lethargic... do some simple exercises like sit-ups, push-ups or just take a short 20 min walk to re-energise. This helps to re-focus your mind too. This keeps you healthy and keeps your energy level up. Helps to de-stress.

She also pointed out that you should not use the above tips to lay off studying... this is supposed to help improve your concentration! Not distract you from studying T_T
cloudship
well, i think my student career is for most people around me a success, although i don't find any talence from anywhere. I think the only reason I learn well is that I am not dull.

Everyone is not dull, if he is normal. But not everyone has patience and endurance. There are so many funs in the world which could easily draw our attention away from what we are doing. Thus, what important overall is to know exactly what you want from doing sth.

If you really need sth, e.g. food, you will definitely go for it. Computer game will not attract you any more, for you are hungery!
If you really want to read a book, because it is important to know sth very urgent, then babeque will attract you any more, because you could have it whenever you want, as long as finish the book.
If you can be easily attracted by other stuffs, that just proves maybe you do not want to learn very much, which will lead to a low efficiency for your work.

Therefore, think about the aim firstly.

as for the learning methods, everyone is different. And different methods word differently on different persons. But I believe in one word, "Uebung macht Meister." in German, "天道酬勤" in chinese and "No one is born of a genius. But exercise makes".

hopefully could it be useful
Deviatorz
I just study by memorising. If I don't get something and I try everything to get it I just memories the definitions and just spill it on a test. Usually I study at home, but if I was working a partner project, usually I would work with my partner in the library. I sometimes I listen to music as I study and it get's distracting, but I'm addicted to it so yea =P. Gay for me.
mickgardner
I have to say that I find traditional study to be quite difficult. I always lost interest quite easily. instead, i found that by reading and learning at home, i was able to learn a number of things that have got me by in my work and career.
I think learning is about passion to me. If you're passionate about something then you will learn about it. Not everyone is like this but for me this is definately the key.
DominickC
I always find studying easier when I'm studying with a friend. We have humongous chats full of typed up notes. Wink

If you have to memorize something, play it softly on an iPod or something and listen before bed and when you wake up. It really starts sticking in your mind.

Humor really helps. We had a hilarious class one year, and I remembered everything without studying. Very Happy
marcmgeronimo
I found that group study works best for me. Especially when I was reviewing for my engineering boards. I've learned so much in 3 days of our "cramming" than the usual personal study i do. but of course, we still need to study by ourselves.

If I study alone, i usually choose a place where I could be alone (no one nosying around to disturb). I like to lie down on my tummy when I study and needs a mechanical pencil to write.... I will need lots and lots of clean paper (i dunno why... ) then I need something noisy like radio or TV, it is distracting but a healthy distraction. I don't usually eat when I study. I have to finish every food I have before I study. coz i like to to hold my pencil and writes lots of stuff to memorize.
atholas
Actually, that's a questions I've been asking myself lately. My style of studying seems to have slowly changed over the years. I used to make a lot of notes... but now I prefer reading over the textbook and trying out some exercises instead. I also used to play some soft music in the background (Kenny G), now I prefer to be in completely slience.

Group studying can be quite good, because I often find get a new perspective from what I'm studying through teaching the others. I still prefer studying alone though.
durojaiye99
I tend to cram, I sit down with a book and spend hours making notes and memorising parts, seems to work for me.
rusayub
As for me, I study at school, at home, my dacha and at the libirary,but the best time for me to study is on morning. I am always don't know which way is the best way to study, an i am searchimg for such way. Very Happy
webcola
The best way to study (for me) is to study for 1 hour on a subject (depending on importance) and study for 15-30 minutes more before you take the exam/test.
R2.DETARD
I don't study at all.
if i get worked up for an exam, i do badly.
i take as much time in the exam to chill out, a good way to do this is to make paper people out of your spare paper.
I'm insane...
Arethe
i'm one of those who doesn't study. i don't bother myself with that. i anyway graduated high school with maximum grades. unfortunately i have to start studying in uni.
Malar
I study best in complete silence and without distractions. Sometimes that's the library, but I can be distracted or feel uneasy because of all the people around me. Usually it's in my own room, if I can manage to stay away from the computer Smile

Another reason why I prefer the comfort of my own own over the library is the fact that I like to summarise what I've just read out loud. It helps me structure my thoughts and draw an outline of the material in my head. In some books I use a marker, for future reference.

If I try hard I can study for two and a half to three hours straight and it will stick: anything after that won't be remembered as well as the rest. Usually I'll study around one and half hour to two hours. That's usually enough to get the day's work done anyways.

For me the most difficult part about studying is actually getting started. Once I got everything going, it's not that hard anymore, but getting my books and clearing the table can seem a very unsurmountable task.
xeszline
Hmm...

I don't think we can call cramming as studying.. Studying to me means that you think about something and learn from it carefully.
Normally I study at the morning. I sleep early around 10 or 11 PM then I will wake up around 2 or 3 AM then study until 6 or 7 AM then go to campus.

My tips:
I was a music-study kinda person. Used to do that with classical music or new-age music. If you use hard music, I don't know with y'all, but it is not that good for your brain to input the information.
So study without music at all. At first it's awkward and you feel like you can't think because you're so full of your own thoughts.

Then say what you read with your own words, as if you're talking about DaVinciCode or MI3 or XMen or IceAge2 to your friends, use as easy language as possible.
You could try to say what you read as if you're very smart but not cocky when you study. Visualize how good you want yourself to be and try act that way while memorizing or doing your study. In my case it helps me motivated and focused on what I read. Just like in the movies.

If you are tempted to do something else.. Think of your future and what you'd feel if you fail the test. Remember the feeling of regrets.

If you really dislike studying, then try just read about 5-15 minutes per day. No need to reach hours.

Well, I say it's all about motivation. How motivated you are in the subjects you're studying. Getting started is the most difficult one. If you're too sleepy, maybe you could drink coffee first. Push yourself to sit and lock the room. Do not play SMS. Do not look to your computer. Sit and open the book. Start.
thealpha
Right, I think methods for studying are really depend on your currenty subject, or what kind of exam your are going to face, or what is the objective of your study. For example, methods in studying the public examination are different from those in studying for interest.
however, I do have some comment on some methods and I hope this maybe helpful for you.
First of all, since studying requires memory, bearing knowledge in mind is very important for us, therefore, a lot of methods which enhance your memory is essential for your study. Like mind-mapping, it is a very good method which enable you to mobilizise your memory, there are lots of publication that are related to mind-mapping, and you may try to search it in the internet, I am sure after your practice in mind-mapping, you will find it very useful and worthwhile in doing so.
Don't you try it?
chris90
I study by going over exam questions, and reading from text books ( might rewrite some of it, if it is a hard subject)
I always have music on in the background, heavy metal sort of stuff, not sure why but I seem to remember more if I have on it. Plus I find it easier to concentrate if I have something on to stop me being distracted by noises.
haris3
I do work and study with the radio or other music on. It keeps my mind from leaving the room and keeps my concentration within the room.
nhuabo
zzly202 wrote:
how do you study?

so i'm here for help~~~

I am a college student from China.
I think it's better to study in school,though it's better to study at home if you have the self-study ability.
Mostly ,people 's self-study ability is not strong.
To study at university,you can compare with others.
That tell you how well you study.
If youself alone ,your study may be not regular.That's bad for studying.
linexpert
For me it depends on what type of an exam that i'm studying for.
I'll start by locking my self in my room.
If i'm stuyding for chem, physics, or math, I'll just do some example problems and check to see if my answers or solutions are correct.
If i'm studying for a subject which requires me to memorize things i might record my self and keep playing it while i read it. This way i'll hear it, say it and see it. This only happens about once in six months.
haris3
You are not going to get more points for posting a longer quote. I'm sure there are factors that firh uses to determine how many points you get. But nice try. Double posting usually works.

ctodap wrote:
I study in a different way. I study by bribing myself. I ask a question to my self if its rite i give my self a snack lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao
Thatguy
How do I study? Well, I don't. The most I've ever done is look over notes that I have once or twice the day of the class. I'm one of those people that soaks in information without having to cram it in, I guess. I'm in my third year of college, and I've never gotten close to failing a test or quiz.
m00tmuffin
I'll be starting college in a few months, but in high school...I seriously never studied and did fine. Took notes most of the time (when it was needed) but I don't really recall ever reviewing them, oops. :X
James007
Topic "stickyfied"
D'Artagnan
man live is study...
we're ever learning something new...

Oh! are you talkig about, math, biology and physics?

My definition of study, is learn someting that you like...
the rest just enter in one ear and go off in another, if i don't think that i need something firmly, i don't like it, and if i dont like it, i don't learn it...

how does i get in the college,i really don't remember i wasn't awake.
foodman
well i study a few minutes a week, thats it, no lie. i just seem to know the stuff before the teacher actually goes over it. so im lucky, but i feel that i should studdy more and get a beter GPA, currently 3.5. sudying does help though.
barata7
Every ways and everywhere, since it has MUSIC!
nazty
Crammers Rule!!! (Sounds mathematical huh?)

Study an hour before the examination
jcvincent
I just study in my bed, sometimes, in a library. But i feel more comfortable to play my bass before taking an exam. It makes me feel relaxed and calm. I'm not really a reader. I just read because I have to, and not because I want to. I usually just listen to my professor as he/she discuss the topic, take down notes, and walah! Go home.

This strategy works for me since the very first time I entered a class room. Luckily, I graduated with flying colors back in Elementary. hehe. But still, I'm doing pretty good in my present subjects.
Jakob [JaWGames]
I study laying at my bed until i think that I know almost everything that is requierd, I also tries to study more than one time to learn it more "permanentely", otherwise I makes the test and then forgets everything again...
tlambert
- making schemes and flowcharts
- reading
- writing
- speaking out loud

or, as usual, a combination of these four ways to study
bpdwg
I don't study but i learn with experiments. Right now i am learning php.
carlospro7
how do i study? well sometimes i dont, but when I do it's mostly at home, now that I'm going to college it's probably going to be at a caffee
solomon
Well, I really don't study. But when I do its usually with a group of people at school like a review.

I just read somewhere that it is good for you to study or write with alot of background noise because it makes your brain multitask and makes it work harder. If you get used to the background it will make you more efficient and generally smarter.

You will also be great at tuning people out. Smile
ne2 Luka
I guess it all depends on the university (college?) you are a student of. I'm a first year student in Computer science. As this faculty may be considered as one of the harder ones I need to study a lot. So, I study everyday on subjects that have been discussed that day. That way I can study with understanding as I can remember a lot from the lectured that day.
ne2 Luka
The important thing when studying is to have a large table on which you can open many books, scripts and etc... No music should be listened while studying. Music calms but is also distracting. One of the good ways to help you study is listening to some lectures in audio form (if they are available) on portable audio player. That way when you are taking a walk, shopping and etc... you can study and it is easy to remember. The combination of reading, listening as well as observing lectures is the best way to study as then there are many associations to the subjects of study. That's all from me on this subject.
onydchic
Very Happy Quite frankly, i hated studying, i found it bboring and very tiring. I thought i needed music to read, but that really just helped take my mind of whatever it was. it was especially worse when i didnt understand, cos then id just stare at that page for YONKS, thinking about other things.
I drew some of my best stuff while "studying".
It helped if someone else asked me questions and i figured them out, but other ways... man... im sure i would have had a whole lot better grades if i had goten down to LIKING studying, not that i actually failed or anything.
mjhz
I sit there with my music and write 2 words, and then i start gaming, i have a problems iknow Rolling Eyes
kimiku
it doesn't need to be quiet where i study. as long as there is a good environment, like in ur room with the majestic mountain and trees as your bg. but if there is not, then i will listen to music on headphones (choose music that create good environments). because if there is music, i can study for hours until i collapse (bad habit though)... LOL. really.

on strategy, flashcards/e-flashcards make you memorize things much much faster, like memorizing chars of another language or memorizing the entire periodic table or even pi (pi is my fave number ). i study better when i have a pen and notepad, when there is no flashcard. thats all.
walrus
I always think I'm going to study at home, but whenever I try to I just get distracted by other things. If I try going to a library, I just get really sleepy. So for about a year I stuided at a place called Mister Donut. It was noisey enough to keep me awake, but never too loud. Plus, I love donuts and they'd always keep refilling your coffee. I usually studied until I was too reved up on caffeine to sit still anymore. But now I've moved back home where there aren't any Mister Donuts, and now I don't really study at all. That unfortunately means that I have to start paying attention during my classes again.
discountcontacts
The main thing about study is not the actual process of it. The trick is to get yourself to like what you are studying- motivation. This is not the cliche advice of "if you like what you are studying you will do well, if you don't- too bad". My advice to convince or trick your mind into temporarily or permanently liking what you study. Let's face it- 99% of students don't want to study- study just a bridge to get us to where we want to go.

However, if you are uninterested or repugnant towards your subjects- then you are not going to achieve your goals. Your mind will helplessly wander away- spiritually you will be in whoop whoop land. So how do you turn dislike for study- into an almost sexual lust for study?

This depends on the subject. If it is a scientific, engineering or accounting styled subject involving a lot of maths and calculations. Then imagine yourself as a machine- ripping through and slaughtering innocent, virgin maths questions. Literally raping those practice questions inside out until you understand it intimately. I went to a selective high school- during the tertiary entrance exams- everyone was sitting on their behind every lunchtime ripping through their textbooks like the ultimate maths warrior.

If its a writing/ artsy subject- depends on whether its an analytical or creative matter. If its analytical- "just do it" like a maths question. Think system, think process, think logic. If its creative- you just got to see yourself as a sculptor, a bs artist who makes up things to inspire, challenge and to change. Think evolution, think convergence, think of alternatives- be a rebel.

The problem with study is that it is a decontextualised abstraction. It is like capturing an animal, giving it a scientific name, putting it on display at a zoo and saying this is the animal. But it is not. The animal is only truly the animal when it is in context, it is in harmony with its natural environment and it is in a dialectic relationship with the precarious ecosystem. So if you are studying economics, goto the flea markets, goto the auctions, visit the reserve bank, stock exchanges, speak to people. If you are studying law- visit the courts. If you are studying accounting, start your own business. If are a bludger- get off the sofa.
mistuh griddlez
I usually just you know.....read about it....then search the internet (google)......then search frihost Very Happy but normally i don't need to because everything seems so simple to me. (instead of studying i think up ways the world could end Mr. Green )
Meggsy
I study by reading my textbook. While I'm reading I type up a summary so I have a short and meaningful version to look back on at exam times. I also do lots of exercises for the work we are learning. Practice makes perfect.

I used to like to study at home but I've realised there are way too many things to distact you. I believe an hour at the library is worth about three hours at home. I study in the library now as often as I can.

You just need to work out what is best for you and stick with it. Some people learn by seeing, others doing etc.
marcmgeronimo
I study usually in a coffee shop where it usually quiet and everyone is in the study mood.

A cup of coffee would usually suffice as a caffeine boost that helps in my studies.
maming
i can study, without problem almost anywhere, but i prefer silence and the most silent place is the library.However, i always study in my desk, where i have lots of material well organizated. Then the best way, in my opinion, is reading, summarize and auto-testing. I think thats all,
venkateshwarans
No pattern in general. just try to complete things in the weekend. In addition i get lecture videos and notes in my college server.
AG007
HAh!!!
For the most part I don't study, if I pay attention in class, that is all I need to pass exams and all that. Sometimes I forget stuff, so I just review a bit, usually at home or before the exam or quiz.
That is for the most part my study routine.
PerArne
Heh, I do my homework when the teacher talks in the class Razz
So I'm done with my homework on wednesday or so Wink

Clevvah, huh? Very Happy
kcthomas44
First of all, I must have peace and quite to think clearly and study efficiently. That is basicaly the key to my studying. Other than that I can study just about anywhere that has decent lighting and doesnt smell bad or anything, and moderatly to very comfortable is prefferable. When I study for a test I just sit down and go over all the homework I've done and all the notes. I get my mind good and dusted off so it's ready to go. And, thats about it.
corey
Heh. I rarely studied at all in high school and, when I went to University, I didn't know how, really. Perhaps that's why I didn't finish.
kohlrabe
I study in Iceland. Normally in the universities library, because internet is so fast there. I live in a guest house and have to share the owners computer with all the guests. Books I usually read in there, so I haven´t to move all the book up the hill.
Coclus
i study at home and alwys by running around ^^^^
bulek
I study in my room in quiet.
siruhan
I dont have speacial circumstances to study..If i feel like stdying i can study anytime any where provided sound is low.....
osbits
I like read books written by the expert of the related fields.Their thoughts and the the way they thought allways help.
okullar
I think, the most important thing is being ok emotional!

Some years ago, I went to a psycologist because I couldnt study.

Whenever I wanted to study, it used to go always bad. I used to feel my tears from my eyes, want to sleep, have a terrible headache. Even though I were not hungry, I used to feel hunger...

After I had therapy, I became better. Now, I can study more and better. No stops, there are...

By the way, if i am at home, it is generally hard to stop myslef to do something different, like chatting, surfing, watching tv etc. So I prefer libraries to study.
drag0n
okullar wrote:

Whenever I wanted to study, it used to go always bad. I used to feel my tears from my eyes, want to sleep, have a terrible headache. Even though I were not hungry, I used to feel hunger...

After I had therapy, I became better. Now, I can study more and better. No stops, there are...

By the way, if i am at home, it is generally hard to stop myslef to do something different, like chatting, surfing, watching tv etc. So I prefer libraries to study.

Whoa! I have the same symptoms you described! Creepy...

To compensate for the non-learning i usualy cram it all up a few hours before the exam Wink
okullar
drag0n wrote:
okullar wrote:

Whoa! I have the same symptoms you described! Creepy...

To compensate for the non-learning i usualy cram it all up a few hours before the exam Wink

Well, if you think you have a problem about it (because I didnt think that i had before I had that theraphy Laughing ), you may go to a psycologist but only about NLP master. It will probably work.

Money? Yes, it may be very expensive... I am not sure about your location and the prices. But I saw that many people think that psycologists are helpless/meaningless. Noone is glad to be with that. The only glad person is me Very Happy ... It is very intresting...

By the way, cramming is also a good method if your mind is good. Not everyone has a good memory like you said.

Good luck for your crammings Laughing
Kylie
Iprefer somewhere where it is quiet. I find for math I have to do problems over several times to understand then and English and History I don't bother to study at all because it just comes naturally.

For Biology and sometimes even Chemistry it helps to make up mnemonics and other little word memory tricks. Very Happy I also find craming very effictive.
wendy86
mustaq wrote:

I same with you, Every Time I only study at last minunts before exam......,
other time I have play in hole day
r_y_e_20
If the subject is numbers related like Math, i do a lot of exercises to master the solving techniques unfortunately im not really good in numbers so i honestly flunk to some Math subjects. Im better in memorization, i make a list first of all important notes then scan it one by one until i get familiarized with all, including important dates, definitions and identification terminologies.

My brother use to have a loud noises like radio or a headset stuck in his ears when he studies. He is used to it but he is really good in it. He's actually good in school and have nice grades. I rather want a quiet place, preferably in a garden or any place where i can smell a fresh air.
jasmine
I don't have a study routine. Whenever I feel to study I just do. XD I know, its not a good study habit. I love reading though but I absolutely hate anything that has to do with... Math! XD
Em_de_Tech
I love math and reading. I don't like writing... I don't have studying routine either. But when I do study, i usually have like Techno playing in my room quietly. (Not when doing History though, I have to focus too much.)
engeland
i don't understand how music and study works. but i do wish i could mix the two
Insanity
I just try to get comfortable in a chair or couch and just read the textbook, sometimes my notes. But usually notes don't help me much and I just read the book, mainly because it's more interesting than my chicken scratch on lined paper. It has more pretty pictures and stuff too.
wingedhope
I think I study best in a classroom. However, having said that, I study bes t in a classroom where people aren't talking and being distracting. i get distracted quite easily.

I also study well at home, BUT I often go online or talk to my friends through instant messaging and as a result I don't get the studying done that is needed. This is a good example of me not studying properly.

I don't study well with friends, they often distract me and I tend to be an independent learner. I like studying in the classroom however since i can find a teacher to explain something to me right away if I don't understand a concept.
jasmine
I once read an article that if you study / memorize something while eating a fave dish, you would be able to absorb what you are studying easier.

ANd guess what, it sometimes works for me. Very Happy
arkebuzer
zzly202 wrote:
how do you study?

so i'm here for help~~~

I usually sit (in a rather uncomfortable way) in my bed and read. Simply cause if I would sit at my table I would not be able to resist using the computer.
Studying together with friends can often be quite usefull, since you can get a lot of other aspects of a problem and so on.
Liam21
Although everyone has their own routines, there are certain things that everyone can do to make their study time more productive. Here are a few:

Work in a non-clutterred environment, ideally a table or desk with only the stuff you need to study on it. The more crap there is in your field of vision the more likely you are to become distracted. I certainly don't recommend working near your computer or TV!

Have a game plan before you sit down. E.G. Today I want to do this, or go over this. Or in this session I'd like to figure this out. I find that this sort of task-and-goal oriented approach makes the idea much less daunting.

TAKE BREAKS! We aren't machines! I take 10-15 mins every hour to hour and a half. It is important that you do something wise with your break time though. Watching TV is a bad idea. 15mins will turn into an hour like that. Doing something physical is the best. Play darts or something.

A few ideas, thanks for listening.
em0o
I study by writing by repitition. I'll write whatever i need to memorize or learn over and over again combined orally repeating whatever I need to learn. So a combination of both visual and written works for me best.
fitotif
Zibé wrote:
I work with some friends in the library of the university

I think that´s the best way. . .
The Shogun
Well, I don't actually study that often, per se. My philosophy tends to be, if I don't know it now, I'm not going to. Granted, I'll go over notes once or twice, but barring that, I usually just coast into tests with what I have. It works pretty well, so I'll stick with it as much as I can. It also keeps me from being nervous.
fralaviola
I study only at home, in fact I can't study outside, even if I would like. This is because I need silence to study.
marcmgeronimo
It depends really on my mood. Sometimes I just need a quiet and relaxing place and sometimes I need a noisy place where I would not get sleepy but the same time I can focus on what I am doing. That is why sometimes I do study in my room with the television on (radio would definitely make me sleepy) and sometimes I'll do some assignments or homework in a coffeeshop where the ambience is good and the crowd is not that noisy.
welshsteve
I've just started a distant learning course - CIW Master (Web Professional Plus from ITLearnEasy.com)

My studying is done at my PC, either during queit patches/lunch/breaks at work, or at my PC at home during the evening.
fizzo
When I study It must be a quiet and clean room, with only me on the room. I dont want to study having another person on the same room, I just cant concentrate that much when Im studying. And I take 1 to 2 hour break after studying for almost 2 to 3 hours then I review what Ive studied or read it again to be sure.
treasurebox
I allways study at home and limit things that can desturb me like tv, computer, music etc and take breaks when i start to feel tired, a short walk and eat/drink something.
Noner
This is the wonderfull way, that I study. I am at computer and I am writing for Frihost and many another forums messages. Currently I will have an exam week after 2 days and what I do, is play.. well, what do you see, that I should do? I am so tired of studying, but maybe I should do it. Normally I read my chapters and try to understand them. I am underlining from book main things and trying to learn it. I mean giving a big picture for myself about my studies.
LearnIT
You must have known how to study when you study in school.

anyway it is all depending on the enthusiasm of a person in such things.

Before you study try to understand what makes you not to study.

When you start studying you should not let your mind to go to heaven and hell. Concentration is the important in studying.

First try to start with the easiest way or method. Later time to time you can jump to the difficulities.

Have your own scheduled time table at home.

Do a revision that you studied that day. When you study something in the class it has to be studied again wihtin that day. so you would not forget it.

These are some few instructions i gave. there are a hell of lot methods.

it's easy to say these things. when it come to practical only . sorry.com
Son Goku
I have a strange way to study. I only can understand the text if i turn on my TV and watch good programs at the same time i'm studying.
welshsteve
Son Goku wrote:
I have a strange way to study. I only can understand the text if i turn on my TV and watch good programs at the same time i'm studying.

..and you take everything in that environment? Very Happy

Have to say, I can study with music on in the background, but that's about it
c9crystal
Surprised
studsstudio
I'm studying just in my room, but sometimes it is nice to be in a different environment; then i pick the library or the room of my girlfriend, who lives nearby.
And, if I'm in my own room, I study as long as an hour and then shift to my piano by turning to the right on my chair. That way I empty my head and I can go on the whole day by doing so. forgetting to eat.., having a messy room.., but that's when a girlfriend is very handy Confused Smile
Wynand
I am one of those classic cases. I do not study during the term because I am always too tired when I return from class. I also do not give much attention in class because you anyway cannot understand what the lecturers are saying.

I also do not start moths before the test but two days before the test. This way the work interests me. I lock myself up in my room for the two days and end up doing reasonably well.

I know this in not entirely the correct way to study, but in worked my whole life so I am not going to change.
icecafe
I always study at home but sometimes will study in library.
TeamOMFG
Thow some music on... and read.

That's pretty much how i study everyday...

I also repeat thing over and over until they stick.
Afaceinthematrix
I'm like gonzo and a few other people... I don't study and I'm still at the top of my class.. I get everything to first time.. I guess I was born lucky or something because I don't have to try... I sleep every day in my calculus class and still get A+ on all of my tests because I already know the math... I sleep every day in my Chemistry class, never take notes, don't do my homework, and I still have the highest grade out of all my teacher's classes (which is a 98.6%) and that's just because I get A+ on all of my tests. I pretty much just spend the last 5 minutes of each class looking at what my friend wrote down and then that's good enogh, I've retained the information. So I guess I'm just lucky or something... I've never needed to study... well actually, I did once now that I think about it. When I learned PHP/MySql out of a book I actually had to read the book and look at some of their examples. Confused
Alias
How do I study? Hmm... Well I study in front of my computer reading programming books and typing the codes that are written in the book. After that I will throw away the book and make a system that will apply all the codes that I've learned from the book.

Other than that, at the school I really don't study I don't like the style of teaching in our school. It really sucks when you are far more better than your teacher. Laughing
jeanoradean
How do I study? Good music to the maxxxx and then really concentrate! This works best at home with nobody bothering me!
netmajor
I always study listening music Very Happy I can't thing without music. Is part of my life. I usually do this after school,when i remember what teacher tell at lesson. Couse if I learn week later without this i don't remeber nothing Confused
I learn with breaks,becouse without them i will be very sleeepy Mad

gl & hf with study!! Very Happy
noromyxo
It depends. For stuff that I need to memorize, I use flashcard apps. If you're a Mac user, I recommend Genius. I forgot their website URL but you can easily search it on Google.

I find Genius really useful because it has this algorithm which makes it so that those questions which I get wrong more often come up more often. I used it to memorize all the state capitals of the US. Very Happy

For stuff that requires deep understanding and all that, I like to read the text first, and then reread it, and then read it again, this time taking notes. Works for me!
mexie
I used to be a real last minute dash studier, but in the last few years I've got better at spreading it out. I still do a lot at the last minute, but not everything.

One thing that helps me is to log on to a chat place where people who care about me hang out. Then I can chat a bit in breaks from study. I haven't been able to get buddies from my courses to join me there yet, but one time I was teaching a course with another teacher, and we used to meet in this chat to do all our planning together. It was fantastic. We'd park there, do some stuff separately, then talk and organise things, then do other stuff again for a while. It helped break down the isolation of the study/work stuff.

When I have a big assignment to do, I often go into this weird procrastination routine where I will do ANYTHING to avoid the actual assignment. I'll do dishes, wash the floor, pull out weeds in the garden, go to the gym, just as long as I don't have to start the darn assignment! Once I get over this phase, I'm ok, but getting started is often the hardest part.

I notice too that I want to eat when I am doing assignments. Just put stuff in my mouth, one after another, like popcorn or something, so that I can chew to calm myself. This isn't really a good idea. (Well, duh!) I'm getting better at not doing that. Drinking water instead helps, or herbal tea.

When I'm feeling tired from study, I sometimes go for a walk now, or do some other exercise. This seems to get rid of the headaches and mental tiredness. I guess I get all anxious and tense, and need to do something to compensate for it. A walk in the fresh air, looking at trees and birds and things, that really helps.
ilasabba
i study at home

when i study something in the class, i go home and repeat it.

i search more details and notes of subjects

the very main reason is my mother always scolds me to study
Cool
ilasabba
i love to study. mainly an engineering subject but i am doing computing

i study with a prepaired time table i made.

as u can can see, that is the way we should study. first schedule the time and study do the wok according to that.
littletomi714
If there is a lot of information to learn, I usually read it through one time the night before. And on the day of the test, like five minutes before the test starts, I test myself again. Either I have all the facts on paper, or I use flashcards. Who thought of that wonderful idea? I write fact/ word on one side and details/ definition on the other side. It usually works since I have all A's in all my classes.
nappy
I try to work ahead of time. Each week I make a list of what I need to get done and by when over the next few weeks, then I set aside blocks of time to do it.

Each time something gets done, I tick it off my list - that's a serious boost seeing that list get shorter!!

Try doing lots of planiing - when you set aside time for something, actually do it instead of faffing and getting distracted by the biscuit tin! (soooo easy!
Coclus
It depends... The more important question is were i study best... I'm probably better when I fully concentrate and am not distracted or tired...
Ljugaren
For the last months I've actually been able to do most homeworks at school. That has given me some time to learn some programming, mostly C++ and PHP Smile
I think you study a lot more effectively at home, I can find it hard to concentrate at other places.
watersoul
I mix my studies between home & the university library. The library is perhaps the best though as there are less distractions for me (TV, making cups of tea, or even my cat, they all take me away from the work I should be doing!) If I'm just reading a book without note-taking, I sometimes go to the river bank near my home as thats peaceful.
Handing in assignments though, I really have to improve my time management, too many times I've left it until the night before, and finish my work by 3-4am! Hmm, must try harder.
Eneru
When I still go to school I study at home and in school. When at home, I like studying early in the morning then continue studying somewhere quiet in our school campus. I like trying things out like codes from books or if not from books when I surf the web for tutorials I copy the examples and try it in the computer and see how it works. Doing the actual stuff is one effective way of learning. And now that I'm working, i study in front of the computer and reading tutorials. Smile
theLOGANhole
I always study last minute and I failed some courses cause of that, school start in a week and I shall make sure I use a timetable because my schedule is very busy.
mensun
Studying is to understand the subject matter.So i discuss much with my pals n sometime turn on the book pages when necessary. n ofcourse studying in quiet place is necessary
saratdear
I usually study before the exams, I just can't seem to develop the habit of studying everyday, but amazingly enough, I get by with good marks.
I usually read aloud and study question answers of subjects like Social Studies and Sanskrit. In Maths, I usually study the theory, and then, if I have the time, do sums.
prilly_baby
I am so bad at studying, I swear I have like ADD. =_= ahaha well I've gotten better, being able to sit down for 5 hours at a time without having to stand up lol
Riesjart
I'm trying to get my MCSA 2003 certification by doing self-study using the Microsoft Press books.
For me, it's just too expensive to follow classes for each module.
Carrie_Jean
If you can get someone to quiz you I think thats the best way.

But if you're alone, you need to have a spot. ONE spot where you always study, where you are comfy, where it is quiet and where things you need can be easily obtained (Pencils, paper, etc.)

Hope I helped. Very Happy
Nerdlings
I study by flipping the the book and really reading the chapter. Sometimes I read my mind wanders and I gain nothing. If I seriously read it, I usually understand it. However, I always ask my friends to quiz me to make sure
ZealousZ
i pay attention the first time so all i really need to do is review the material the night before a test or something
a good way to test if you really know the concept is to find a friend who doesn't understand it and try to teach it to them, it'll show exactly how well you know your stuff and how well you can apply the knowledge
then its just like quizzing between friends, trying to outsmart each other
Kev01234
Im currently a senior in highschool. Ive been on the honor roll every quarter of my middleschool and highschool years. However, I hardly devote any time to actual studying.

The best way to learn information is to PAY ATTENTION in class when you are first given the information. Also being interested in what the teacher is explaining will make learning alot easier for you.

When I study I usually only look over my notes once the night before the exam, then I look them over again right before the test. If you look at your notes too much you just mix up the information and you won't do as well.

Kevin
adonai
As a rule I study at home where I can have a little break if I want, but often I have to go to library - in this case I take MP3 Player with my favorite music, and it makes better
oleszka
I study at home ... if it's language so in front of computer(usually watching DVD,listening,using some e-textbook) or with textbook on the sofa... if it's drawing so in front of TV Smile... also I learn to play the harmonica - every morning...
but actually I am trying to mix: being in front of comp and on the sofa...
also I try to study everyday with no delay
Heroin
It might sound stupid but I like to study when I am walking or standing Smile it is the best way fore me Very Happy
ridzuan
mustaq wrote:

hehe.. same wif me.. only study before the exam start, mostly 4hours before the exam start
oleszka
ridzuan wrote:
mustaq wrote:

hehe.. same wif me.. only study before the exam start, mostly 4hours before the exam start

I remember we all did it when we were students Smile
Edas
I study rarely and when I do it is in a quiet place with no distractions.
Marinho
I study Civil Engineering!

Wink
30lat
I study one week before the exam.
NinyaEvu
I study in Australia at TAFE ( Technical And Further Education ) which overseas would more or likely be known as college ;p

At TAFE im in my second year of website development which is now the diploma side of the course, did the certificate II & IV last year hopefully after this year i can finally start to look for a job, lol.
lethaltriad
When I used to study it would be at home and sometimes with some background music. About 80% of the times its usually the night before but I seem to work better under pressure.
b|ade
I think it's easier to learn the material the night before the exam because the facts are still fresh in your head. However, English is an exception; essays are killer, and take weeks to study for. You can usually find me late at night, cramming for an exam, with music on. I do believe music helps me study. I'm very religious about that. I also play lucky music. Cool
bulek
I usually study last day before we write test. I really can't study everyday because it looks so stupid to me if I have to study when it's not necessary, especially if I have some good movies and games on computer.
xanarulz
Every time an exam is announced i say I will study a little each night but I find myself pushing it aside each day, saying I will just study more each day (never works out) then next thing i know the exam is 2 days away, then I try to sit down and focus but then I study 20 min the 2nd day before the exam, then I sit down the whole friggen day the night before trying to cram everything in, and then I tend to try to cram things as the test is being handed out.

Moral:
I can't sit down and break down and study each day Confused
vanille
I get home....I turn on the computer...see a few episodes of Prince of Tennis...then...all is lost.

---

Actually, I do that for a couple of hours and then I snap out of it and open a book to study/cram/regret my actions/pray to God. The only subject I usually study for is Economics.

---

It usually works out.
mom-9
hi
pernsonally i study after have been ate hihihihihihih !!!
Very Happy
Shewolf
I try to study a bit "all the time", to think about things I have read and heard instead of just sitting and doing nothing. But often it does just end with the try... Embarassed
Raydon
Hmmm...study...well...I cheat xD I don't study xD
Only thing I do sometimes is my "Internet homework" Laughing
dule
oleszka wrote:
ridzuan wrote:
mustaq wrote:

I remember we all did it when we were students Smile

And that pretty much sucks for me. I always start to study like 2 hours before the exam for which i had to study for 2 weeks, and then in the end i always have to make my way through somehow. and strangely, i succeed o.O. i failed only one subject at collage for now, but ill make it up next year Smile

and btw

tommorow i am beggining to study. really. no kidding.
starfish2007
well for me it deepends if its thearie i need only need to look overitonce or twice andmaybe once thenight before the exam but with things like sql or php i have to goo ver the cod over and over againother wisei forget things.
kida
Interesting topic since I'm in the midst of my final exams at the moment, today I had to memorise spanish questions and answers for a speaking exam, for that I basically memorised a batch of 8 each time and then asked someone to test me and highlighted the ones I had trouble with. I generally do batches at a time and sometimes, if there's time, will summarise everything in notes, it not only makes studying time shorter but it helps when you write out what you have to learn, it sticks better. I usually study a week before exams, sometimes just the night before, I always plan to do it earlier but never get around to it Rolling Eyes as for where I study, in my room, in the living room if it's quiet enough. I'll never study in a public place because I usually like lounging around in pjs when I study, makes me feel more relaxed Razz
poggendroff
i dont study. because what i shuld study i did 2 yrs back. im wicked smart
Asperud
At home is the best place. Music, read for a hour, watch some tv and back again Very Happy its the best way to get through boreing stuff
grain
bah I hate studying at home. ... there's too many things to distract me... so I usually go to a library or a bar... its too bad my laptop sucks so I have to learn and work at home on the desktop Confused

most of my classes are in the morning so I usually don't go to morning classes cuz its too hard to wake up ( even though I live next door to school ) so I have to learn most of things by myself. recently I just had to stop paying for my world of warcraft acount cuz I had too much work delayed.

I don't supose anyone knows a good way to force yourself awake in the morning and to sleep at night XD
dravidan
Usually we, me and my friends,
we hangout in some place and
we usually study individually,
after sometime we'll discuss,
crack some jokes laugh and
then realize its high time and
go back to studying. Occasionally,
when we've had enough Crying or Very sad
we'll go out in the middle of the
night for a cup of tea ... or
some snack Cool ... but mostly to
get fresh air ... cause the place
will usually be crowded.

Having said this, as far as I can
tell, studying was fun ... "was"
cause we just wrote our last exam
for our undergraduate program
yesterday ... so no more midnight
study breaks. It makes me think ...
that might just be the last exam for
me ...

I sure will miss these Very Happy filled days.
ashish2005
I usually prefer to study alone. I cannot concentrate when people are around me. I have studied in the library but I do it rarely. I prefer to study in my room where everything is quiet and where I'm alone. I also like to study at night and I hate to study in the mornings and never study during the day times.

But sometimes I do study in groups. When there is a maths/stats/accounts exam the next day, then you can find me practicing problems of maths with my friend who is a genius in mathematics.
stensen
To do well on a test, you must have good knowledge of the information that is being tested. But you must also have a strategy for taking the test that allows you to show what you know. The DETER strategy can help you do your best on any test. Each letter in DETER reminds you what to do.

D = Directions

Read the test directions very carefully.
Ask your teacher to explain anything about the test directions you do not understand
Only by following the directions can you achieve a good score on the test.
If you do not follow the directions, you will not be able to demonstrate what you know.
E = Examine

Examine the entire test to see how much you have to do.
Only by knowing the entire task can you breakit down into parts
that become manageable for you.

T = Time

Once you have examined the entire test, decide how much time you will spend on each item.
If there are different points for items, plan to spend the most time on the itemsthat count for the most points.
Planning yourtime is especially important for essaytests where you must avoid spending so much time onone item that you have little time left for other test items.

E = Easiest

The second E in DETER reminds you to answer the items you find easiest first.
If you get stuck on a difficult item that comes up early in the test, you may not get to answer items that test things you know.
R = Review

If you have planned your time correctly, you will have time to review your answers and make them as complete and accurate as possible.
Also make sure to review the test directions to be certain you have answered all items required.
Using the DETER strategy will help you do better on tests and get better grades.
silviayguga
I studyTelecommunication`s Engineering, after 6 years, I still have only 4 subjects.
LukeZone
I am standing shortly befor my general qualification for university entrance in Switzerland and I try to learn every evening a little bit (only about 30min).

For me its the best way to learn the stuff for a longer time. What do you think ? Is it better to learn anything in one big learning strech as learn it like me?
centroeducativoasodesi
Well, i cannot say that i "study", but what i do is to pay very close attention in class, and when it is time to do the exam one day before i just read and remember what the teacher said. Moreover, i participate a lot in class, and believe me: That's so helpful, because you inmediately use the knowledge you acquire in class in it would be more difficult for you to forget what you learned.
creezalird
at my own room(as i live in hostel) ....with some music playing thru my laptop...if i feel sleepy so i just take a short sleep for 10-20min
friuser
avoid coffee(tea,soda) and sugar(including honey or artifical). Maintain a regular sleeping pattern.

once you give them all up... it makes a huge difference in studying... at least for me.
Samerron
I used to study in the library, but then it started to get annoying and noisy, now I study in my room, but I can get disctracted quickly....hehe
Dalv87
I study in my room, I tend to switch back and forth between different subjects, which might be a bad idea, I don't know. Spanish I tend to study for right before the test though.
kcwilli
I am a grad student so I get a desk- I usually study there. Sometimes I go to the library for a change of scenery if I get bored. I usually listen to some upbeat music to keep me motivated. I can't study at home -- too many distractions (ie- house cleaning, TV, sleeping..)
jenice
I've got such a short attention span that I have to be careful how I study. I usually do it at home with some music playing. I'll read in short half hour spurts broke up by a few minutes of games or chores or something. Sometimes it goes on for longer if I'm doing research for something, or if I'm cramming for an exam or something.
HyperScene
When I study I usually start off by reading main facts about the subject.
Then I go more in to detail on the smaller subjects that I dont understand as much as what I understand. While I read I take notes of what I think is nessesary, and I finish of by reading my notes. Then I ask myselfe questions that I find in the book to see if i remember what I have learned.
Mikke
i study home every day with my mum and i study on school and sometimes qith my mp3 with an friend:D
agustin
I usally study at my home. But its the same when I just want to learn something new. I dont usally study a lot but when Im studying I like to listen some low musik. I cant study for along periods of time.
pashmina
I am comfortable in anywhere. i prefer to study lying down in my bed. i like to listen to music while studying.
Grahambel
I always study at home but sometimes will study in library.
Manuel
I study at home

I study math.

If you dont want to have a headache, I recomend you to study in a quiet and comfortable place where you can easily take notes of what you study to study also in your spare time. 1 or 2 hours a day are enough

Hope I helped

Manuel
azbuky
It doesn't matter where you study, as long as you feel you're "getting serious" about it. Studying in the same place all the time gives you a rithm that is important.
rodrigoz17
I'm studing Biotecnology at the UNR the Rosario Nacional uneviersity in Argentina....I love Chemistry and Biology....also we have a big library and in the last year the bobliografy is all in English so we have to study the mat ang get's more difficult to have good marks---but we still working hard.
eefh1
I usually dont look at books also. I study before my exam only. But I am thinking to change this from now onwards, because it is not giving me good results Wink

Kiran
Cddhesh
I study only one month before exam,whole day till midnight.during other days of semester i do projects,study some other things,help juniors and other batch mates .I don't get good marks,that id different thing.I tell others to study day by day and cover the syllabus.While studying ,when i read any paragraph of subject i try to apply it to physical world in applicative way.Then i just remember examples.Thats how i remember properly.Most of the time in exam i try to explain answer with examples.Till now i have not failed in any subject or practicals.
ThornsOfSorrow
I find it difficult to study anywhere comfortable, because if I'm sitting on my bed or in a big armchair, I tend to get sleepy and have trouble concentrating. Thus, I usually study while sitting in my desk chair, which has a stiff wooden back that makes it impossible to get too comfortable.

I love using note cards to study by quizzing myself. Sometimes I even draw little pictures on them to help me remember an especially difficult piece of information. However, after starting college, I've found that there is often so much information on a test or quiz that I end up having to make over a hundred index cards for just that test/quiz. If I make more than fifty or sixty cards, then I get overwhelmed as soon as I even glance at the pile, so I only use index cards for classes in which I only have a minimal amount of information to memorize.

For those classes that involve more studying, I typically just read over my notes over and over again. However, if I read them to myself (in my head), I often find that I end up thinking about other things as I stare at my notes. For this reason, I find it better to read my notes out loud, most of the time to my cat, as if I am teaching a class. Anyone who hears me do this may think that I'm crazy, but this is the best studying method I've found so far, as actually hearing the information helps me to memorize it.
xbcd
by closing my eyes and taking a nice long nap. Since i found out that studing causes too much stress and i forget things.
Liques
I study almost every afternoom. I'm improving my English (I'm Brazilian), learning Chinese and German. Last days I started to learn Java and C++ Languages. And... I can't stop to study! Every thing that I read came a felling that is not the enogh. Just this is scheduled to fix Very Happy
ankitdatashn
Though I don't study much but whatever I do I will mention it here.

I am of the kind who likes to study only when the death bell rings, that is when exams approach I study from just one day before exams. Though I belive it's essential to study throughout your academics but still one day before exam it's like do or die situation. I study during academics at random so it's not regular.

Though I buy academic books but never read from the, I mainly study from notes of the class teachers. I think if one study just from the notes teacher gives and study them hard one can get good marks in exams(provided the teacher is also good!!). Also I have got internet facility at home so I like to browse through the web by googling for course related matter.

And regarding your question that where I study...well I mainly like to study in my study room, when I start I am in upright posture but soon get leaned!!
cpebatch2007_CIT
when i study , i eat raw peanut.... thats food for the brain,right?
typingphenom2007
Usually the way that I study is that I set aside an hour to study for like a test or something. Up until the test. I make note cards, I highlight in my book if necessary. I study while I listen to classical music because it has no words but it keeps you concentrated on what you are studying and you won't be so bored as to having dead silence wherever you are studying. I study at home in my room to have privacy. I cut the tv off, and I cut off all distractions, like my cell phone, house phone, whatever that may distract me while I'm studying.
hilariouslicorice
library, or at my dining room table.

putting on classical music helps. so does getting enough sleep the night before, then staying up late reading. or, alternately, drinking lots of coffee Wink

also, be realistic about how much work you can really do. give yourself plenty of breaks, and don;t worry to much about it! don't eat breathe & sleep your classes ALL the time. maybe just during finals/midterms!

good luck!!! Very Happy
hilariouslicorice
oh yeah. 2 more words.

FLASH CARDS.
whitehole
Working out before studying helps relax me quite well. Sometimes I'll run for an hour or lift weights or even just play some basketball. It does two good things. It takes my mind off of learning for a bit and also gets my blood pumping and adrenaline going.

I've studies in sauna's before too and find thats good since its quite but you often end up sweating on your notes and book. Razz
agustin
some musik--- reading... making notes .... i dont know.... just that... shill...
aaron821
I have something foe everyone no matter how you study or how long you study I have a sure way for you to get a high grade on any test, you do have to study some what at least. Ok listen up all you have to do is read Psalm 91 twelve times and then write it dowm on a small piece of paper and pin it on your clothes and right before the test read it again.
HealingHands5
Studying is the art of memorizing information for future recollection.

I find that the best way to study is to review the material covered the day it is covered in class; especially before bedtime. It (the information) is fresh in your memory, and so it stays with you;because all the days activities are current in memory. It similar to information in RAM (it is there in memory, until the computer is shutdown)

However, if you are unable to do the former; then it is best to make flashcards that contains a summarized version of the information that you are studying. It is advisable to practice writing formula if the notes contain such. That is if formula; won't be provided during the exam; this is the only way to remember formula; as swatting them, will prove to be more difficult. Because, if you forget any minute detail in the formulae, that messes everything up.

Don't overburden your mind with long study periods, you remember more if you study in increments of 30 - 45 minutes. After all we remember more of what we do, than what we see and hear. So make your study periods short, but frequent.

Most importantly, if possible; get past test questions for the course(s) you are studying for or use the review questions at the end of each chapter of the textbook [they always have review questions, lecturers always use them too Rolling Eyes ], and practice answering those questions; using only the information you have retained in memory, during your study sessions. This will aid you in identifying what you know, and what you don't know; and will serve as a guide to your upcoming study sessions.
nepheus
I study at home and when i need concentration for my next exam, i come to library.
I'd like learn on Internet,too. It's really interactive and easy to digg into a topic that i want to follow.
exskool
I dont have specific time for studying. Usually i study when the exam is nearer or i got so much free time and when i'm bored.
rpdlch
I usually study with iMusic - IvyFocus playing. Its so amazing I cant believe it. Well, not that amazing, but amazing all the same. Besides that, I got my hands on Ed Strachar's Magical Concentration which was pretty good as well. Using those two products I learn 3x faster than I used to a year ago. Amazing.

One more thing that I found was that out of every 60 minutes we are studying, only five minutes are actually spent learning something which we will remember Shocked
roxys_art
I'm currently not in school right now (graduated exactly one year ago), but when I was, I always studied at home. To me, it was always important to feel comfortable so I can concentrate on what I was studying.

Also, depending on what the subject was, I usually studied the first 75% of my time without any distractions (i.e., no TV, music, talking online, etc.). The other 25% of my time could be with distractions (but only if I felt I knew the material). Although, I never really studied all that much. The max amount I usually studied in any given night was 2 hours, and that was a fair amount.

Just pay attention in class and studying will be made a whole lot easier!
smakhal
I study at home in two mode.

1> study to make good result in exam
2> study whenever I need knowledge in the tropic related to my project i do that time.
MunMun2o2o
Pretty bad
Stay at home but cant go out except finsh homework then can go out.....
But my frens are good did not finsh their homework also can online at msn....

Have to study... Idea
cloudship
I learn new concepts through doing a lot of excises, which is my secret to achieve good marks in exams. However, as graduated from school and university for some time, I now face with a new situation to learn more stuffs, on which there're seldomly any systematical books or execises to help me out. Then a good place to learn is to learn from others, observing what they do and why they do that. If coming with quesitons, do not feel shy to ask them. And search materials or collections or experiences from the internet is a possibly efficient way to grasp an overview of a knowledge, then you can take time to make a list or schedule for a systmeatic learning.

It's never too late to learn, this is my first idiom learned in Engilish, and I just keep doing it when possibly I have time.

And also, another tip I want to add to the above is that, a willing to learn and master is important, sometimes even more important than learning work itself, because you must have the spirit to carry the learning process till you succeed, otherwise it is likely you will give up when meeting difficulites.
jerredk
I read everthing 1 time and try to say or sing it back lol. It's maibi rare but it's work with me. If i place a melody on a tekst than i can sing it back in my mind whene i got tests. It's realy work. Just try it.
ankitdatashn
Well first of all I think I should tell what am I doing. I am a enginnering student and my branch is computer scince. Now traditionally an engineering student's life is considered to be very hectic but what I think is the opposite, we goto college situated 15 kms from my home and do 3 lectures and after that the college is over. Those 3 lectures are also not to be considered to be very informative but we while our time there.

The at home I don't study till the exam bug stings me up, the days just passes with me browsing up on the internet. So to sum it up I am not a studious person!!
thejam
Can't agree with bigboss more... Breaks are essential. I have a big problem when it comes to concentration. However i do consume big amounts of information IF i am concentrated. During my breaks (every 20minutes a five minute break) i take a bigger break every hour to actually do something physicall. some push ups, or bike arround the block. This sounds weird, but it really helps me getting my concentration back when i study
justtj
i study in my room..
most of my books are eBooks
on wall there are sticky notes with the contents of each subject written..
study is what we do one night before exam..

and yes, 'm talking about computer engineering..

sometimes i dont feel like studying anymore..
then i turn on Counter Strike on ma PC and there are usually 2-3 active games on lan..

and in end its the final trick that does the job..
tea Very Happy
j0yfuln0is3
I always wear a particular perfume when I study, and then I wear it again when its exam time. It's a trick I learnt from one of my teachers, using the theory that smell is one of the strongest evokers of memory. My only worry is that I run out of perfume!
Masacchi
I study at home with music playing. The best way for me right before an exam is typing up all my notes and reading them over as I do so. This usually ingrains it in my head long enough for the exam to be over. =P I'm the kind of person who can only study well last minute. If I try to study too early, it doesn't stick to my brain.
tjf000
Different people may have his different ways of studying. And I also think so. Personally, I have experienced at least three ways of studying.First one is the way with the teacher's guide, perhaps in my first ten years of studying. The second is self-study with my college classmates, we studied in our school library, three to five of ue together. The last one is also self-study, but it is only myself, and i'm alone.I think each one have its advantages. But which inpressed me is the last one I think. Because I think this way is the most trialest about one's perserverence and his loneliness-endurence. I was very fortunately I successed in this trial. In my postgraduate entrance examination,I study in this way and I got the first one in my class-field and I was also the first in my school. Very Happy Razz
roflcopta
I sleep with books next to my head and just let the knowledge come to me in the form of a dream. It works best I must say, Id be sleeping now if i didnt have to comment for a freaking page.
Drypone

By the way, if i am at home, it is generally hard to stop myslef to do something different, like chatting, surfing, watching tv etc. So I prefer libraries to study
bigt
I like to study with music playing. The library never did it for me... too quiet and felt constricting.

zzly202 wrote:
how do you study?

so i'm here for help~~~
Rajiev
I used to studdy in pack when i'm doing my undergrads. But Now i'm all alone when i'm studing.

Studing in packs have it ups and downs.

Pros is that if you have a question, u can discuss it right away and figure it out. And most of the girls will have better study notes than us (boys) Laughing

But the cons are,

U get distracted easily. You have to act as a team, (ie, You have to eat even though you are not hungry and finish that page). This is worse if there is someone you like is in the team :p
agustin
I usually study at home. More confortable for sure. I need concentration.
thuyhanh
Put everything together and study at last night before an exam
lge306
Don't always wait until the last minute and do what you can. Starbucks gives you motivation, look at all the business people going there, haha.. Usually I'm a library rat.
gandalfthegrey
(1) Try to keep the temperature around 20 degrees celsius wherever you are studying.

(2) Try a library, mall or even a park. Anywhere where you can be limited from distractions, like television or a messy home.

(3) Wear comfy clothing

(4) Find a comfy seat

(5) Decent lighting
lge306
Back in my college days, I used to practically live in the library. Sometimes even 24/7. Now I'm trying to get back into school mode, so I'm occasionally at Starbucks.
martyman123
i have no education because being so "smart" when i was still in school.
I didnt think i would need education for anything so now i stay home with my 3 months old son reading books about programming with different languages, while my wife is working and actually i am enjoying about it.
gladius1978
Martyman123

I think you should go back to school. Based on your post it seems as though you have the writing skills of a a 5th grader. The first sentence isn't even a sentence and makes no sense. The second sentence makes isn't much better.

It is great that you are staying home watching your son and taking care of him, its perhaps the most demanding and important job one could have; and there's no pay for the stay-at-home mom or dad. However, I suggest that by the time your son is able to go to pre-school or kindergarten that you learn enough about programming so that you can get a job. I bet that if you chose to stay at home and not contribute to your family's income your wife is going to leave your lazy a$$ for someone that has some motivation and a decent paying job. After all what is the point of having knowledge or skills if you don't put them to some meaningful use, and what better way to put your skills to good use than to provide for your family. While your reading all those programming books, do yourself a favor and read some English books as well. You need some major help on sentence structure.

martyman123 wrote:
i have no education because being so "smart" when i was still in school.
I didnt think i would need education for anything so now i stay home with my 3 months old son reading books about programming with different languages, while my wife is working and actually i am enjoying about it.
speeDemon
Hmm..

Well, i usually hear to music while studying casually, but for xams, i switch that MP3 off... i usually take a lot of breaks, even though i study only 1 day before my xams! Wink

Well, just try to concentrate, because i usually dont! X) Not concentrating leads to waste of time, and so the breaks worsen d condition, try it out...
Chinmoy
I study at home. I prefer studying ebooks over my pda than going to a library. It is really fun and definnitely high-tech. You can get most books over the internet so i guess libraries are not the hot favourite anymore with me, but going to libraries is a diff. experience. You can go with friends, discuss on the way back and better still, you can get to see a lot of girls at the library!
burntup56
I never end up going to the library no matter how many times I say I will. I end up staying at my desk and usually studying the day before a test or something.

On occasion I study a few days before for a big exam or test covering a lot of chapters. but its always hard to not get distracted by the people I live with haha so studying can be kind of hard.
Sundossa
i would type on the computer, every half hour i would take a drink of water, eat a cookie and browse gaming site (for 5 minutes at most), then go back to studing, if i have a test like tomorrow and i only did some light studing, i would only take breaks every hour.
steve_br
I used to study at home just lying on my bed but it never really worked because I would constantly get distracted by something. Now I find the best way to study is to go to the library and act like it was a job and stay there from 9 till 5. With an hour break for lunch. I then try and leave my evenings free and just relax cook some good food and just watch a film or something.

For how I study I tend to read what I need to learn until I understand it. Then I try to rewrite the knowledge into my own words on a piece of paper in a way that I would understand. I do this for the whole subject and read through all of the notes until truly understood. At the end I like to create a main brainstorm/spider diagram of the main points and get somebody to quiz you.

It's also good to do in a group as its sometimes easier to understand when somebody explains the problem to you in normal speech. This was particulary helpful for me as I did Computer Science and there were many technical things that needed to be explained in english.
slashlu
I STUDY EVERYWHERE.WE NEED STUDY ALL THE TIME I THINK.
stgeorge
I dont study Rolling Eyes
vvforgs
BigBoss wrote:

I also tend to take small breaks after every hour (Like an hour of study, half an hour of break) Otherwise I will get too bored with the material and even though I'll read through it, I won't be paying attention there therefore I'd just be wasting my own time. Gotta have the breaks, hehe.

I didn't know how to sutdy,but when I want to study I will study good!
Ghost Rider103
I think the best place to study is at home, where it is nice and quiet, and nobody is around to disturb you.

I do not often study, as I do not ever need to. But the times I do have to study, a quiet place is preferred.
robinhanks
anywhere you could go to study. You don't get headach as long as you want to study.
vvforgs
In the days before mp3 players I used to study at home and write notes on a piece of paper. For example, if learning a new language I would write down some words in both languages on my piece of paper. Then, when I was out walking to the bus or waiting in a queue in a shop I would try to remember the words and then check against my piece of paper. The point being that it gave me something to do instead of being bored, so even if the subject was uninteresting, at least it was better than standing in a queue with nothing to do.
vvforgs
learn new concepts through doing a lot of excises, which is my secret to achieve good marks in exams. However, as graduated from school and university for some time, I now face with a new situation to learn more stuffs, on which there're seldomly any systematical books or execises to help me out. Then a good place to learn is to learn from others, observing what they do and why they do that. If coming with quesitons, do not feel shy to ask them. And search materials or collections or experiences from the internet is a possibly efficient way to grasp an overview of a knowledge, then you can take time to make a list or schedule for a systmeatic learning.

It's never too late to learn, this is my first idiom learned in Engilish, and I just keep doing it when possibly I have time.

And also, another tip I want to add to the above is that, a willing to learn and master is important, sometimes even more important than learning work itself, because you must have the spirit to carry the learning process till you succeed, otherwise it is likely you will give up when meeting difficulites
amperx
usually i study out of eagerness to attain something, like i want to do 3d, because i like it, i give it a lot of effort to learn alot from it, Very Happy sometimes i study out of boredom lul
stel4e
Usually I study at home (for best results) but I've studied at work a couple of times during night shifts when there's not so much work to do (but it's hard to say I learned something). When I study I read the book and I do my own resume (writing the most important things and examples) of the chapters I need, to a separate papers then when I am finished I study only from the papers. This is for exams. But to understand the material good I do a lot of exercises and practice on it.
Insanity
I'm in college and I can't study in my dorm room. There's too much distractions to keep you from doing your work, so I go to the library or some other quiet place where I can focus. Then I just set a goal for myself, like completing some homework or reading a chapter so I progress better.
eauncarter
I study at home watching tv, listening to music
GiocoDigitale
I study at home, library, on train but i don't have a good way...only know that i have to do :O
WicCaesar
Just like someone said, I pay attention when someone is teaching. I don't even write notes.
profbis
I am more efficient at the last moment of the deadline. Say, if I have a exam at 3, I will be most efficient at 2.
Faraz
I study while walking. I can't study by just sitting on one place. Also I can't study when there is noise and people around.
edwinl
I study in my own room no noises no distractions only reading and learning my books.

Also helps to do a basic plan of study, what to study on monday, tuesday... and at which hour
jspike44
at home for me.,
Tadtoad
At home on my pc table. Since most of the books I have are ebooks, I spend 90 percent of my reading time on the pc. Sometimes, like now, I listen to music while I study. But when I really need to concentrate, say for an exam, I require complete silence...ok not complete silence. I need it quiet enough to hear my own thoughts but not so quiet that I hear a ringing in my ears.
Chinmoy
with any form of digital media..for memorizing it is movies, otherwise music works..
themarine
lavender wrote:
Put everything together and study at last night before an exam. Embarassed

n the days before mp3 players I used to study at home and write notes on a piece of paper. For example, if learning a new language I would write down some words in both languages on my piece of paper. Then, when I was out walking to the bus or waiting in a queue in a shop I would try to remember the words and then check against my piece of paper. The point being that it gave me something to do instead of being bored, so even if the subject was uninteresting, at least it was better than standing in a queue with nothing to do.
Crinoid
Depending on materials, that I need for a study. If they are in the library, then it will be library. Otherwise it will be where I live. Thankfully, I didn't have noisy roommates or noisy floor (in high rise university residence), quite tolerable.
kuranka
What helps me is changing environment, let's say 3 hrs in the library, then move for 2 to coffee shop; then the last 4 at home. The main thing is commitment to your plan and focus.
kerryworkman
Study at home , sometimes in a park or outside for reading..... my most effective way to study was by getting into a study group for classes that had to be passed well and meet a couple of times a week. Use of flash cards were helpful for memorizing things that I absolutely needed to memorize verbatim.
izibash
Most likely I dont study at all Surprised
It is all going well.
But when I really have to study I study at home with music on, thats the best way for me to concentrate
When I have to study english or french words I split them up in parts of 10
example: (its just an example, these are easy words i came up to and which I never had to study ^^)
Asian
Biscuit
Milk
lettuce
internet
joke
bike
Plane
Victim
stairs

I read them from up to down and then i try to translate them
When I fail I redo the part untill I know them all
pmehta51
Mostly I study at home. Actually I have a baby to take care so I can’t go anywhere else but stay at home. So usually when my baby goes to sleep, I study. Or some time I make him busy with TV or new toys. Than I can study home. I get books from library or sometime I go online. I prefer to read from book or hard copy document, rather than online. It is easier to read from book. You can go back and forth easily. It is not good for your Eyes anyway. There are some benefits to reading online too, like you can find detail information on any topic you like incase you have question when you reading. You can find examples related to topic easily too.
mejo1900
how do you study? By taking all book notes with a recorder and then to review them i listen to the notes and take written notes. This way I read material, am forced to process it enough to explain it into a tape recorder, listen to it, and write it down. I remember a lot more this way. I use frequent breaks so I dont get tired (look at the question below for my advice on breaks)

do you study at home or at library? at home without any music...and noise bothers me a lot. However, I find that studying with someone (as long as they are silent too) can be really effective. You guys can motivate eachother to keep studying and then take breaks together. I find that a break with another person is much more refreshing than one watching tv or something. If you don't have a person to interact with on your break I suggest going for a walk or doing something active OR play a short computer game that exercise a different part of your brain (for example if you are doing math play a word game...not a math game that will make you more tires of work). DON"T do something that could last forever (for example don't pick up a new book you know you won't be able to put down)

do you have any good ways for study? Keep it from getting to tiring!!!!
larkleuman
i study with some music on in my room.. that's it.. hehe
amperx
I study with a loud music at the background, with no interruption XD
oh and I eat chocolates while studying, helps me not doze off
sajeebr
Studying means learning so just concentrate on learning and you will be satisfied with your study. Just don't study for your exam.
reading in a silent environment is good for memory. You can't possibly remember by studying in a noisy environment.
Just make a routine and strictly follow it.
soljarag
it depends on what i'm studying...

For physics its always good to first try the problem on your own, then if you get stuck, go to the website that shows every problem in the book and all the steps on how to do them

Eversince i found that site, I have not had to go to tutoring...

If its for literature, then summarys are great! Smile

For History..... make an outline of each chapter then study that
psleang
I like to study in a library with friends in a small room, close to coeffee shops. I have access to books and internet when I need to look something up, can talk (quietly) when someone have a question, but quiet so that I can focus when I need to think. Have coefee for a break to refresh.
DarkReaver
I usually try to study with a friend who is doing the same subject. going to the library helps, but again i can never manage to drag myself there unless i am studying with someone. Good sleep and good eating habits also help, though im not good at either myself. I usually read and make notes, then just review my notes. I tend to leave stuff to the last minute and end up working under pressure, but that helps me concentrate a little bit more.
Moshkin_Khan
I have never revised or studied for an exam, cruised all my past ones but im failing this year because I just dont know how to study, I have no efficient way.
That and I get bored really easy now and I dont really see a point in education because I have no aspirations or goals that im aiming for.
orkutthemes
study .......buried mummy from the past.
I like reading though.
STUDY???
NOOOOOOWAY!!
nivinjoy
Yes man...I study in my hostel room in the night...with some music on...!! I try to concentrate as far as i can.. and even then if it is not getting into my mind..i just leave it..!! and study another topic...!! That's what i do normally...!!
ronbuice
I started back to college in my mid fourties. I went in to a education program where I was grouped in a cohort with fellow travellers. Because of the structure of the program we were constantly in contact with one another. Often we would go to lunch together and quiz each other or get together at someome's house and do a group study. I found that this was the most beneficial to my style of learning especially as test time rolled around. Asumming that you are of age and have a degree self control enjoy a beer or a glass of wine while you grill out and study, it lightens the environment.
Others that I studied with were index card fiends. They were constantly writing questions on one side of the card and the answers on the other side. They would either self-qiuz or would hold up the card, read the question, and solicit answers from a couple of us sitting nearby. Studying became a lot more fun by doing these things.
I hope that this helps. it worked great for me.
EximiusNero
I study by simply going over my noted and doing review guides. If I don't have any review guides for that class I go over things in my head and check old Homework. and tests/quizzes.
ptpmonitor
i mainly study at night. I can't do study without creating my own notes. I know it takes a lots of time, maximum of my friends complete their study directly from the textbooks, but i find it hard.

I usually do continuous study. I do not like to complete the home work much. Instead of it, i like to take advance exam preparation. I study maximum two subjects everyday.
poopooface
For me, I usually just get out my book and sit at a table and just read and review all the things that i need to know for the test.
I tend to study at night because for me, it's the time where i feel like i'm learning a lot and taking in lots of information.

There are different ways one might study that you might feel more accustomed to. Play around a little bit and you might be able to find your "prime" studying time.
sumproz
i study at home and some times in the library at home i study in the little study room and at the library i study in the quiet area where there are cubiciles for everyone.
sandmanxyz
eauncarter wrote:
I study at home watching tv, listening to music

Me too, I thought I was the only one. It has worked for me and I am finishing my degree.
Donutey
A little bit at a time, over several days.

It's a lot easier than just cramming for a test at the last minute, and over the long term you remember the information better.

Though sometimes I get sloppy/lazy and don't do this and end up studying all night instead Embarassed
chaotic_designz
study in a dim lit room...enough light to see...music.. tons of air conditioning...a round or 2 of call of duty and some food.... studying gets old after about an hour...but in order to achieve success you gotta study your brain off!
pscompanies
I've tried all kinds of studying - at the library, in a group, with music on, on the bed, at my classroom i school.

Verdict: Nothing is more effective and efficient than my plain old study table at home with no distractions at all (preferably not even a mobile phone).
Greatking
i study at home, dawn. when everything is quite and the wind is blowing softly. its fun and relaxing.
amorphius
as for me, I can't listen any music while studing
chris_seo
on the computer
fullmetalalki
looking at past tests and then reading the textbook and redoing homework and things like that.
tchaunt
I generally listen and learn most of it during lectures, but if I do have to study, I usually procrastinate until the night before the test. I usually end up cramming (and all the exams are on Thursday for some god-forsaken reason). Sadly, though, you do not retain any information if you cram (or at least as much). I still have managed to pull in a perfect 4.0 GPA with my lowest percentage being 97% in Honors English I.
Greatking
i usually study at dawn. when its quite and still. no disturbances. i take like three hours or two when i feel tired.
prajbishnoi
hello
Friends please reply me what i do here ...
benmerrion
It really helps to take breaks when studying. If I don't want to study for a test, but I need to, I'll just say I'm going to do like 15 or 30 minutes at a time. Once I start though, I usually go longer than that. One thing I wish I had before was the pulse smartpen. It synchronizes written notes with audio, such as a teacher teaching something. I now use it for a lot of meetings and it is very helpful to find what you are looking for. If I had to sit in a lot of lectures, I'd use it all the time.
Baka_Desu
I usually study by surrounding by self with books about the topic I'm studying. I usually study at home more because it is more quieter than my local library (full of kids under 10 years old). But i occasionally go to the library to borrows books about the topic I'm studying for. I usually study for one hour then break for like 10 minutes then return to studying and occasionally during the break i would go out for a quick walk, just to relieve any stress.
exitmenu
on the computer
Jamestf347
I'm like gonzo and a few other people... I don't study and I'm still at the top of my class.. I get everything to first time.. I guess I was born lucky or something because I don't have to try... I sleep every day in my calculus class and still get A+ on all of my tests because I already know the math... I sleep every day in my Chemistry class, never take notes, don't do my homework, and I still have the highest grade out of all my teacher's classes (which is a 98.6%) and that's just because I get A+ on all of my tests. I pretty much just spend the last 5 minutes of each class looking at what my friend wrote down and then that's good enogh, I've retained the information. So I guess I'm just lucky or something... I've never needed to study... well actually, I did once now that I think about it. When I learned PHP/MySql out of a book I actually had to read the book and look at some of their examples.

same
pscompanies
At home if I'm with a friend, in a library or at home if I'm alone. I find that knowing that people around you who are working makes you work a lot more. Also, I make resumes of my courses. It takes a whole lot more time, and gives you hand cramps, but I go through the book/syllabus only once thoroughly and spend more time reading my notes which are sensibly shorter. You just have to make a good resume (i.e. select what's important from what is just 'filler information') and then you should be able to study more effectively.
pll
I just can't study, yeah I find it really hard!!
Everytime I say like at 7:00 PM I start to study I always end up with some friends or in the front of my computer.

When I had 30 hours a week of classes (and had no time to do my homework) I always found the time to do them!
No I'm with 15 hours a week ... and I can't do them!!

It's not because I have no time to do so, it's only because I'm not motivated enough!
Greatking
studying in a library or in the house on my bed. but then what i suggest is that with time you find a comfortable learning schedule and place. you must get that first then throught your education its easy to study.
kawym08
I do not work, just study! Cool
proyectosGT
I'm a teacher in a local school and I'm researching about different ways to learn and study. In my personal opinion, I think that problem-based learning and example-based learning are the best way to succed in study. I hope that teachers and students can adquire this ideas and implement it.
Greatking
i usually study at dawn and i make sure i read alot and open my ears to hear what the lecturer teaches. i just ensure that i read and read. thats all, jot down notes answer questions in the pamphlets or past questions. brows on the net, discuss with fiends speak to the lecturer u know its fun really.
crimson_aria
I realized that the most effective way for me to study is at midnight, when everybody else is asleep. and I can play music to keep me awake, not people. I think I find that part of the day most peaceful, which helps me concentrate.
genchev
I study with my friends most of the time. We help each other and it's faster and easier.
mukesh
I study in college and home both.
HoytJolly
I am taking computer programming courses right now. The best way that i have found to study is to create my own projects, then come figure out how to develop them on my own. This requires me to do a lot of outside research.
Denvis
zzly202 wrote:
how do you study?

so i'm here for help~~~

I type out notes, read and highlight those notes, make notes from notes and read over previous tests.

I study at the library.

Any good ways... I suppose it's different for everybody, I prefer to study alone, without technology, pure silence and short breaks every hour.
galvaoanne
i have dificulty to study alone because of lack of attention and discipline. any tips?
eneka38
Most of the time I study at home. The only problem I have with this is that sometimes I tend to sleep off after a while. But I still prefer it to studying in a crowded place where there are too many familiar people because you might just end up talking about other things and not study at all.
dbase
in my opinion, if u study lesson efficently, there mustnt be mp3 player, television or maybe internet too. becaue these of all thing that i said, are share of your brain a lot of partitions.. so you can not concentrate main subject(it is of course your lessons)..
Cheeldash
zzly202 wrote:
how do you study?

so i'm here for help~~~

I study at home, i prefer to use books rather than computer but i end to study more on computer. I do some short pauses, at least 1 for hour.
macky
how do i study???? i start reading lectures a week before the exam and a day before the quizzes...
mahirh
i just translate the whole thing in my mother tongue and i take a paper , a pencil and visualize it , then its a whole lot easier to learn
will22
I generally study on my way to wherever I will be tested for my knowledge. When I'm studying just for personal purposes, I tend to be more diligent, and I use simple memorization techniques.
zembandi1
almost everyday. I study like 2 hours a day
ToddX1
I have a long commute, so I tend to study or brush up on some things on my way back from work on the train. CBT courses on my laptop are very handy (if I can get a seat on the train).
ankur209
I prefer to study alone...all quiet... Wink

most ov the time i don't study.but during exam times i study late night..
rjraaz
i study with some light background music which can suppress outside voices noises that will break my concentration. Idea
michaelagustin
When I want to learn things, I would be giving interest with it.
cybersa
I learn only 2-4hours a day.
But while learning,i only concentrate on learning.
That's good thing.
c3luong
It's simple...

1. Find a quiet place
2. Bring food
3. Turn off IM/Phone/Email
4. Study

It's more about solid, uninterrupted concentration than anything else, for me.
celebi269
I just review my notes when tests come; paying attention to the lesson is the most important thing.
Some people have a hard time understanding lessons by themselves, so for me listening to your teacher is the best way of studying.
GoldenEagle
Back when I was in college, I actually used to study a McDonald's on the campus of another neaby university. It was good because no one knew me there and the restaurant was open 24 hrs a day. The coffee was really cheap and I could get some tasty food whenever I needed. I'd only bring my textbook and a few sheets of printer paper and work through the theories provided in the text. It's kind of funny how quiet a McDonald's can be...
lovescience
It's so important to pay attention in class. It's easier to understand subject that I am interested in in the class. Therefore, for exam, I don't have to study for that subject after the class. I only study on few question I have for the subject.

For the subject that I have less interest, or harder to me. I need to study it twice more than the subject that is easier for me. There are likely more questions I have for the subject. Because I do not pay as much attention in class for that subject as the easier one.
baboosaa
I was like you when i did not thought about changing the way i think about study. If you study thinking it's too much to memorize, too hard to understand and too complicated to get easily. Just read it. Dont remember. No problem. Read it again throughly, once, twice as many as you can.
daselang
in my house

during night time

tv switched on

infront of a computer

study through internet, grasp info through internet,
lrj945
i have dificulty to study alone because of lack of attention and discipline. any tips? The best way that i have found to study is to create my own projects, then come figure out how to develop them on my own.
enilsoncba
You should consider this:
study 30 minites (5min and pause.)
leave papers (to redo exercises)
and water nearby
you should always want to study, because they do not want the study will be insignificant, right? follows it and you'll take a good note
hwcorp
Library is best place to study for student
but I go to library only one day before the final exam Smile
remram44
I mainly study at home one/two days before an exam, I just don't like libraries. I also spend a lot of time bothering my neighbors with irrelevant/technical questions about details... May be my way to fight stress I guess.

I often work with music, although I know many people find it inconveniant...
Gitesh
I dream during the lectures about studing.,
then after lecture i waste time dreaming about some other things.,
i always start studing 5 days before the exam.,
my shortcut to passing is studing all the questions which appeared in last 5 years.,
almost every question in any paper is repeated from last few years papers at least in india.,
this way you also get knowledge of important things and left the useless stuff which you dont need to study., and yes i always pass.. Wink Very Happy
deanhills
Gitesh wrote:
almost every question in any paper is repeated from last few years papers at least in india.,
I think it is everywhere in the world. Unless there is a significant change in the teaching programme, the questions are all taken from a standard database that may be periodically revised, however the questions may just be slightly changed.
celebi269
I usually cram when it comes to exams and requirements.
I don't know, but when I try doing things ahead of time, I get low grades.

BTW, taking a break between sessions is really helpful.
alimddine
This is how i study: i write my notes more times and I try to undrestand them.
davidv
Teaching. Understanding what's being conveyed isn't the hard part. The hard part is going deep into subject x and then link everything together. What's the point of just knowing it? You also want to then gain a deeper understanding so that you can apply it in different areas. Of course, knowing something is much better than not knowing anything but why not go one step further? Anyway, I find teaching helps this.

Most of the time, I get a pretty good feel of what I'm being taught the first time around but not everyone does. What I do is, I try to help those that don't quite understand it... and when I do this, I kind of develop a good sense of what the teacher was trying to get out when they were explaining it (it's sort of like I'm in their position). Anyway, by helping others, the content that I'm "re-teaching" sticks into my head a little bit more; I remember the very small details like... a fast way to figure out the total number of clock cycles it takes given n cycles per instruction and m instructions. It lets me know which areas I'm not as comfortable with and it pushes me to learn more.

As for the subjects that I'm not quite good with, I ask for help. I practice, I read, I actually listen to the lecture, I watching videos explaining why something is the way that it is but what I don't do is, I don't ask for the answer (yes, it does seem a little bit stubborn of me but... oh well). No matter how difficult a question may be or how frustrated I get with something, I don't ask for the answer. I always try to spend 2 - 3 days tackling the question (even if it's trivial), trying all possible ways to solve it before I give in. Usually, I solve it myself but even if I don't I would of spent enough time on it by myself to appreciate the solution and more importantly understand exactly where I went wrong so the next time I get something similar, I'll know exactly how to solve it.
EnterpriseTech
davidv hit it right on the head. Helping others understand the content is the best way to gain a deeper understanding and to really know it.

But sometimes you don't understand it either and have to learn it for yourself first. That's when I usually do a web search. I find that there are many sites out there that can help with various subjects as long as you know what you're looking for.
Chellesei
It depends on the subject. Smile

On maths, I listen to my teacher first then, afterwards, I'll copy the solutions on the board. Then at home, I read my textbook and review my previous exercises/activities to know how a certain equation/problem is solved. Sometimes, I ask some mathematicians (lol) and friends in my class to teach me so parts I don't get. This way, I feel like the lesson is more enjoyable since I have some people studying with me. Very Happy

On sciences, I read my books or search from the internet then print them out... read them and analyze. In class, I take down notes too. There are times that I brainstorm with my friends to help ourselves in studying.

On history, I simply read my books then memorize some terms, dates, and names. I also use the internet to learn more about the topic.

On languages, I don't review at all. Very Happy Maybe if there's a story discussed, I'll reread it so I won't forget.

On computer lessons, look at some tutorials on YouTube or some other sites. Then try it on my own. Computer stuffs are my interest so I want to learn things via demonstration and not just as text.

I think that's all~
Insanity
Studying works best when you're not distracted from everything else. For that reason, it's best to study in an envionment that is free of distractions, such as the library. The thing is, everyone has a different method of studying. Some people like studying with music on, but other people can't study with music. IT's all about experimenting and figuring out what you prefer. Just remember the moments when you get the most work done and try to mimic the environment that you were in while you were super productive. That is the best way to figure out which is the best studying method for you.
ennymo
I actually work best in rowdier places, it's easier for my to block out the noise than to try and have self discipline to not start playing on my phone or computer. I stay after school deliberately in the library where everyone hangs out, i can sit in my circle of friends and just work while everyone else plays. At home, i youtube and play games for wayyyyyyy too long. Music is pretty distracting to me, but large crowds and noise helps me concentrate. If there's only one or two conversations around me, it's a lot harder... simply because it's my mind starts to eavesdrop and try to catch onto what they're saying. that's probably the same reason why music does not't do well with me.
magnustoday
i do leisure reading first, then the next reading is quite detailed, highlighting the important points. If I have time, i make some notes, but if not, i just proceed to sample questions. An hour before the exam, I will have a quick scan of my notes.
busaboss
That's a good style you got out there something similar to what I do. Refreshing your mind before an exam is really useful.
aslamweb
BigBoss wrote:

beatbox0792
psychorollercoaster
with my music player blasting Razz

on serious note....i find my concentration levels very high in a library....almost all the assignments done in the library have recd good grades .... and about the rest.....nothing to write home about Razz
nadalia
I study at home and I study often. I don't have a job, so I am fortunate enough to be able to focus on school. I like studying at home, because I get to be with my cats, and because I can't concentrate as well in coffee shops most times.

I avoid the library, since it's always full, and since our library gets a lot of suspicious-looking people wandering around in it. I've had old men shoving shoes at me from underneath cubicles at the library, and I was scared out of my mind.

Coffee shops are okay sometimes. I'm sick of seeing people I know and having to make conversation.

My home is a sanctuary.
TheStripePrincess
I find it easier to study in the comfort of my own home.
My fiancé and three of our other house mates are on the same course as me so we can bounce ideas off each other.
We do drama, so we don't really "study" in the traditional sense but we read plays aloud together and discuss them for class or learn lines together.
leandros21
zzly202 wrote:
how do you study?

so i'm here for help~~~

I am studying at home using computer with more than 3 windows open (facebook,my ptc site, my website and many more :p). But i make a huge mistake, i should study concentrated
halebill
Are generally looking for information on the Internet, e-learning a lot of information, Baidu, Google, basically what problems have, the amount of information a lot, my advice helpful.
zymmac
I study by myself, at home. Sometimes, searching through google, wikipedia, etc.
And I drink coffee and listen to classical music
MisterParker
I try and study either at home or at the library. I find that at home its too easy for me to get distracted. I end up surfing the net or listening to music. So I prefer the library where I can fully concentrate. I use either books or web pages which I usually print and then highlight the important information.
kavkec
I learn at home. i take my book and read it 3 to 4 times. thats how i study =D
InfernoStar
I study in front of the computer
InfernoStar
InfernoStar
InfernoStar
Oops sorry about the spam I was lagging and I clicked submit serval times sorry Sad
nguyenvulong
I've just finished my studying at University, Computer Science, now I'm working at VNG company, the biggest company in Vietnam, it's really a good start for me.
I'm working at a system engineer there, our team is about 60 people. Company has 2000 employees .

If anyone have the same interest, you guys can reach me at Skype : eyesfall .
It's great to meet all of you.

Self-study is toughful, but in Information Technology, it's a MUST, and it helps a lot in our career .
enilsoncba
for me there are many ways to study and not always one way or custom can be used for all ... one can study and earn an listening to music, talking to others, others need to read aloud, others need to read and listen to assimiliar .. Finally, we learn the good constumes as are recommended to study in quiet places and discrete environments as library work, the less external interference, greater assimilation of the content rendered on the brain at the time, justified by the concentration and undivided attention to what .
Iceaxe0410
I admit in my school days, I was a procrastinator. I could get so easily distracted. I found that the library helped me focus enough to get some studying done. There was occasional ambient noise, but not anything enough to distract me. A nice quiet place with no other interactions worked best for me.

As for methods of studying, I had different ways of memorizing and learning depending on the subject at hand. For math, I typically took examples of problems and studied the steps based on examples. It helps to learn the mechanism to solve equations. This definitely helped me in chemistry and physics. If you get the basics down, most equations would be easy to solve.

I also learned that studying for hours non-stop to not be a good idea. I found that if I studied too long, I'd forget a lot of what I learned. I found that taking a short break every couple hours helped. It gave me time to relax and let the information I learned sink in.
subhan1
At first I try to study then some time later gets busy in some work or on my PC - I usually study the night before my exam Sad
acidz
The best way to learn varies a lot. if we narrow down the scope, for instance, the study subject depend on books (finance, maths, etc), then library, home, coffeeshop, or a quiet place will help to concentrate. some people said Y generation (Gen Y) is better in multitasking, and learning with music will complement the process. Im interested to hear from art or musical subjects.. how do they do?
jajarvin
The best way to study is to learn something now every day. In this way the process of learning is easier to do. When you are feeling that something is hard to learn, do not give up. The repetition is the key word of learning.
protestantreformation
ask for help
protestantreformation
ask for help
nayakjyotirmaya
i prefer books or printed material as compared to online study.
but audio or video lessons have their own advantages.
ZeytinGrafik
The place should be silent and i should be alone. I prefer books but pdf files also work.
DonRolf
As someone who's finishing High School this year, I haven't really studied a lot. When I study, I like listening to some music that's in the language I'm studying in, because that doesn't distract me. I prefer being away from my PC because that tends to distract me as well. Maybe a good cup of coffee or tea, depending on the time, and I'll be remembering everything. As long as it's relaxed.
Nyasro
I study at home lying on bed
during exam time.
GuidanceReader
Currently I am not studying any official coursework, but am studying personal pursuits. I generally tend to study at home, including back when I was in university, I study better with noise, rather than quiet environments.
authorforte
When it's something new and demands a lot of concentration, I prefer a quiet environment. But I can only stay there for about 2 hours. After that, I need some life. A not so crowded place in the school cafeteria usually does the trick.
abhinavm24
evidently get notes xeroxed and spend whole night before the exam cramming them !!just before the exam.
Mind it most rigourously tested and verified formula in general.
Surprised

but music also helps sometimes!
Cool
codersfriend
Most of the I study at my computer.. sometimes I just read a lot of books. It's quite fun to study anyway Smile
kaylors
I have always suspected I have borderline ADHD (if such a thing exists) since I have trouble concentrating on any one thing for more any length of time. So my study-style is a bit all over the place.

I usually study at home though I tried a short stint of studying at the library...didn't work out. Sometimes I have music playing and sometimes I don't. The kind of music usually depends on my mood, but it has to be something that won't penetrate...as in something that can become a pleasing background accompaniment to my thoughts.

I like to snack while I study, though these aren't always available at hand. But when they are, I make good use of them.

That's basically it. Study till I lose focus, then take a few deep breaths and begin again; snack if I can, otherwise just salivate; and music when and as it suits me.
Trechs
At home, i dont usually have music in the background but if I do it has to be without lyrics cause it draws my attention. I have found that writing stuff down as Im learning it helps a lot and I always have something to drink as I study, mostly coffee or tea or some juice.
subru
zzly202 wrote:
how do you study?

so i'm here for help~~~

I study at my class itself when my techer is taking the class that way my effort is reduced after i come home. Try this technique after you reach home before sleeping close your eyes and imaging the things that teachers taught in class the whole day
rafaht
I study at home, with notebook mostly to my undergraduate course. The most of contents haven't in books, only in scientific articles and teachers ppt slides.
But for master selection test, I studied with the books in recommended bibliography. Now, after february, I'll study with this method now. I read the chapter that corresponds with the content that I study as listed in programmatic content for test and write a abstract with the principal points of this content. Finally, I create a mindmap with the principal keywords of this content, to resume the idea of this content. I make this until finish all the content and after, I read all the abstracts and use all the mindmaps until the test day.
dientm
I can not focus, how should I do?
I love listening to music, reading book, coding something but recent I am in stress, tired and I can't focus to work, I need some advice....
That's terrible life
asandersdesign
I would say for me, it is probably with a book, and no access to the internet. Too many distractions! For example, right now I'm supposed to be learning Joomla. Confused
Pippo90
In my room, all alone. Like peeing, it is impossible for me to study in public.
Insanity
I think I study best in a place away from the distractions of my room. My room just has too many things that can distract me. My computer is the worst because of all the things that I can do with it, like play games or chat or go on the Internet and surf random sites. This is why I do my best work when I´m at the office or at the library or someplace more quiet. The funny thing is, I do my best work when I think I´m being watched because I´m more paranoid of what is going on around me and I don´t want people to think I´m slacking off.
quanmechanix
I only study according to the importance of the subject or if I really like it and it is worth reading. Very Happy
james717
I like to study at home with nice snacks and drinks.
I used to study with radio, but now with music only.

After I have got into university, I only study right before exams come LOL
Lucky, i got acceptable GPA XD
Oleksandr_Koryttsev
zzly202 wrote:
how do you study?

so i'm here for help~~~

I'm studying at home with help, internet and books
littonk
I am going for a Mechanical Engineering PhD and my specialization is numerical simulation (fluid dynamics & Electromagnetism) with optimization and control systems. I'll be using a website as a research portfolio for everyone I'd like to show, which would mainly be companies.
zarawatsonn
I believe that if you pay attention in your lectures you need not to learn befor the examinations.
Da Rossa
The past: I used to study by copying everything, I mean everything the teachers said in class with my accelerated typing. Then I revised the class notes at home and published those to my friends. I eventually transformed this in my site. http://notasdeaula.org

Now, I just like to be a self-learner. Can it be a book or a video-tutorial, or even audiobooks to listen while in the car. Depending on the subject, it's not too bad.
jestoy0514
When I was in college, I rented a room with 4 persons inside a bed space to be exact. There is no point of studying in the room due to some of them were too noisy and sometimes other persons cannot sleep with the lights on. So instead of studying in the room, I was making notes on the time of the class listening every bit of what was the teacher was trying to say then after class, I am going to the library and spent an hour just to review and sometimes applied what I have learned by doing some exercises and then asking someone to answer the same question and checked if my answers were right.