You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Total Commander

Back when DOS was the most popular operating system, little could be done by an ordinary man without Norton Commander. When graphical interfaces took the spot, some people found themselves at home with Total Commander, but most just began using Windows Explorer.

To be honest, I can't imagine not using it as I need to have everything well-sorted and easy to find. I thought less people are using this kind of software with time but it turns out they are teaching it at universities in my country.

How about you? Do you use it? What is your favorite tool to organize files, catalogs, playlists etc.?
I have used Total Commander for over ten years.
Even when MS-DOS was the operating system for PCs , I used some file managers.
I do remember at least Dima ( Directory Master) and Norton Commander.

In Linux, I now use the file management program called Krusader.

I use a web -based file manager Net2ftp to update my web page.

Hardly would do without these programs.

For example, the following Total Commander features show the strengths of the program :

• Two file windows side by side
  • Multiple language and Unicode support
  • Enhanced search function
  • Compare files ( now with editor) / synchronize directories
  • Quick View panel with bitmap display
  • ZIP , ARJ, LZH , RAR, UC2 , TAR, GZ, CAB, ACE archive handling + plugins
  • Built-in FTP client with FXP ( server to server ) and HTTP proxy support
  • Tabbed interface , regular expressions , history + favorites buttons
  • Thumbnails view , custom columns , enhanced search
  • Compare editor , cursor in lister , separate trees , logging , enhanced overwrite dialog etc. .
  • USB port connection via special direct transfer cable, partial branch view ( Ctrl + Shift + B) , and many improvements to ftp, synchronizing and other functions

TotalCommander is one of my best friends too. It is one of the few utilities I ever spend some money on to get me a license. Nothing beats the original concept known from Norton Commander to simply work with two panes for two directories, since this is the best and easiest user-interface you need when it comes to moving / copying files around. You always have a source and a target folder, that's it. No need to focus on more than that at a given point in time.

jajarvin did an excellent job to describe the main goodies.

On linux I often use Midnight Commander as a Norton / Total Commander replacement.
Back in those days I used it for the splitted files and to transfer them between the computers with floppy disks. Laughing But it was cool. Though it occasionally failed crc checks, it did work for me.
Da Rossa
I've tried Total Commander a lot of times at different seasons and versions. I stood for a long time looking for the best and most productive way to manage files. Of course Windows Explorer is limited. After like six years, I decided that the best thing is xplorer2 -> check out at