FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lou Reed?

fuzzkaizer
Now that he passed, what do you think of Lou Reed? I remember about twenty years ago someone on the radio calling him "one of the last poets of american pop-music"...
Blummer
I do acknowledge he inspired generations and generations. Sad. He didn't look really well in the last years and basically his last big studio work (the album) was the one with the Metallica, that failed. I can agree with what they said on the radio. Especially with the new tendencies and people not paying proper attention to the lyrics.
standready
He was a very talented song writer now taking his walk on the peaceful side.
Blummer

This one's for him. A really nice song, all time classic for me. Covered by many artists.
Peterssidan
I know he has made a few good songs but the only one got stuck in my head for some reason is a live version of "growing up in a small town", maybe because that phrase is repeated quite a bit. Razz
fuzzkaizer
there are some songs, indeed - never found anything better to describe that certain 'sunday morning feeling' better than that velvet underground song:
fuzzkaizer
by the way, they are selling Lou Reeds gear on ebay at the moment:
http://stores.ebay.com/Lou-Reed-Archive
up for auction are some keyboards and pre-amps...
on Rolling Stone Music, where they mentioned that, they also feature "20 hidden treasures" of Reeds songs: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lou-reed-20-hidden-treasures-20131107
Thefez
All I know about him is that he made an album called Metal Music Macheine. I disliked it.
fuzzkaizer
anyway, if you dislike it or not, you should know the "Velvet Underground" even before you know Lou Reeds solo albums - actually he wrote most of their songs.
RosenCruz
I know Perfect Day. A great song of his.