FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Big wind is "Just about to hit". Is it going to be

chasbeen
If you lived (and are old enough to remember) the big storms that hit the uk in 1986 and 87, you'll no doubt be bracing yourself for the storm tomorrow (27/28 October 2013) which has been widely described as being as potentially bad as the "100 year storms" that hit 2 years in a row nearly 30 years ago.

Lets see if you can comment on this after the dates above (You need to be living in England and be at least in your late 30's)

I'll comment on Tuesday, I'd be interested to hear how you think tomorrows storm compared to the 2 storms of the middle 1980's..............
standready
I do hope everyone survives the storm safely and damage is far less than Hurricane Sandy brought to the east coast of the US last year.
watersoul
standready wrote:
I do hope everyone survives the storm safely and damage is far less than Hurricane Sandy brought to the east coast of the US last year.

Thankfully we don't get storms anywhere near the strength and destructive force of US hurricanes.
My initial thoughts are that the Met office is playing safe after the famous mistake in 1987 by forecaster Michael Fish advising that there was nothing to worry about.
(I remember that!)

Announce a warning now, let everyone take precautions and 'better safe than sorry' attitude.
I'm on the SW coast and looking forward to some rough seas to watch from my window.
I will be really surprised if the damage and disruption is anything more than a few roof slates/tiles flying off, tree branches etc, and a bit of flooding for low lying coastal properties - but when we hear the reports they will be properties who are flooded out every few years or so anyway, storm or not.

Good luck to everyone, but let's not forget how much our media love to make a bit of drama out of a few minor incidents. Just wait a month or two and every headline will be 'Coldest Winter for 50 years expected' or whatever - it sells papers quite well.

Now...essentials... Flashlight [check] Candles [check] Chainsaw [check] Tarpaulins [check] ....urm... extra packet of Teabags [check] Wink