FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ozone Gas Generator.

nickfyoung
Came a cross an ozone gas generator which claims to deodorize and sanitize places like restaurants and kitchens and can be used to sterilize water etc. Any idea if these claims work and how would you use one in a restaurant situation. It also claims to sanitize your swimming pool water without the use of chlorine etc. Anybody had any experience with one.
Qantas94Heavy
nickfyoung wrote:
Came a cross an ozone gas generator which claims to deodorize and sanitize places like restaurants and kitchens and can be used to sterilize water etc. Any idea if these claims work and how would you use one in a restaurant situation. It also claims to sanitize your swimming pool water without the use of chlorine etc. Anybody had any experience with one.

I don't believe that it's in any way useful - it sounds almost scam like to me. Ozone doesn't purify the air, nor does it sterilize water. Regardless of what it does, I would be doing a lot more research as to how it really works before even considering buying that sort of thing. Also, it would be rather expensive to create such a device, and not cheap to run. Be careful out there - not everything is what they say they are. Sad
Bikerman
It is definitely a scam. Ozone is poisonous. This scam has been going on for years and the authorities know all about it - makes one wonder why no further action has been taken.
Anyhoo...check this out...
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

A similar scam has been around for almost as long - Brown Gas generators (sometimes labelled hh0 generators). These things are sold to improve your gas consumption in cars/vans. They consist of an electrolysis circuit which splits water into hydrogen and oxygen and then injects the gas into the inlet manifold to 'improve combustion'. It is another scam - we comprehensively debunked this one at the science forums, despite hoards of posters claiming that they had such devices and they worked. Can't work, don't work, never worked.
nickfyoung
Thanks guys. I was sold on the promotion of these things as a cure all for food preparation etc. Looking to a move to the Philippines one day and the options of opening a buffet restaurant. Sanitation was my biggest worry as I am not sure of the hygiene levels of cooking staff etc over there. Saw this thing advertised in the Philippines and Goggled it and only found good reports until the read above.
Afaceinthematrix
nickfyoung wrote:
Thanks guys. I was sold on the promotion of these things as a cure all for food preparation etc. Looking to a move to the Philippines one day and the options of opening a buffet restaurant. Sanitation was my biggest worry as I am not sure of the hygiene levels of cooking staff etc over there. Saw this thing advertised in the Philippines and Goggled it and only found good reports until the read above.

Do you have culinary training? If not, then you may want to either think twice about opening a buffet or seriously consider taking some culinary classes if you can afford it. If you take culinary classes, not only will you learn about food preperation but you will probably also learn everything you need to know about hygiene, sanitation, and food safety. Those are things that you don't want to fool around with by buying cheap gimmicks and con products. I'd consult a real professional (via classes or worst case scenario a book written by a qualified professional) and learn things the right way because you're playing with the health of your customers and having your customers not get sick from your food should be your first priority (followed closely by the related "customer satisfaction").
nickfyoung
Yep, that is the first priority in a restaurant. Nothing damages your reputation more than having people get sick from your food. Had a restaurant once for a while and worked in a major kitchen before that complete with all the training. I am just a little worried about the very casual attitude in the Philippines and I think I will send all my staff off to training for at least the basics and monitor hygiene carefully.

As another thought, this ozone gas thing, is it safe in water, because they claim you can use it to eliminate chlorine etc from swimming pools.
Afaceinthematrix
nickfyoung wrote:
As another thought, this ozone gas thing, is it safe in water, because they claim you can use it to eliminate chlorine etc from swimming pools.

Ozone isn't safe at all really unless you know what you're doing. Period. It's highly unstable and because of the air pressure near sea level, probably won't even stay ozone. It will probably break down to dioxygen.

Ozone is also very harmful to your lungs and in many countries is regulated in industry to prevent workers from breathing in too much.

However, I know people in the pool industry and we've talked about his before and you can use it to sanitize water instead of using chlorine or salt. I am not sure how it is done or even why you would do it but it can be done. For swimming pools, many people seem to think that converting a chlorine pool to a salt pool is one of the best things that you can do.
Bikerman
Yes it can be done, but it really isn't worth it. My Granddad used to be a swimming baths manager so I spent a lot of time in public swimming pools as a kid and I know that Ozone is used by quite a few. The main reason is that it avoids the use of chlorine which some people cannot tolerate and, if applied wrong, will make most people's eye's stream..
It is a job for experts though and not to be tampered with by the well meaning amateur.