FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chlamydia rates rise for younger girls

nickfyoung
Quote:
Girls aged 12 to 15 years are testing positive for chlamydia at a higher rate than older women, new research shows, prompting concerns they are not practising safe sex.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/chlamydia-rates-rise-for-younger-girls-20131023-2w1ub.html

It appears girls as young as 12 are now sexually active and the concern is they are not practicing safe sex. I just wonder if there should be concerns too as to 12 being an acceptable age for young girls to be sexually active. Do you think girls should be sexually active at 12 or should there be more education along those lines as well as the practicing of safe sex.

MODERATOR - Moved from General Chat to Health
- Ankhanu
Ankhanu
nickfyoung wrote:
It appears girls as young as 12 are now sexually active...

This implies that this hasn't been the case in the past... which is pretty misleading and inaccurate.

nickfyoung wrote:
... and the concern is they are not practicing safe sex. I just wonder if there should be concerns too as to 12 being an acceptable age for young girls to be sexually active. Do you think girls should be sexually active at 12 or should there be more education along those lines as well as the practicing of safe sex.

This, on the other hand is pretty relevant.
In most nations, 12 certainly is NOT an acceptable age for children (male or female) to be sexually active. That said, they're also at an age where they're exploring who they are, their changing bodies and minds, new emotions (and emotional intensities), which includes sexuality.

There definitely needs to be better sexual education for youths... though the quality of sexual education for youths varies dramatically among countries and/or states/provinces/whatever within nations. I've been a little impressed with the type of health/sex education my daughter's received so far (she's 11). There's room for improvement, but, I think locally there's a decent start. Sex education here is certainly a marathon ahead of what it would be had we decided to live in the United States, particularly in Texas, or Arkansas (where my wife is from), where sex education is absent, or something ridiculous like abstinence only. Part of a good sexual education program should certainly be safer sex practices, and an exploration as to why they are safer.

Whether we think they should be sexually active at 12 or not, some will be. With that in mind, education should be there such that they will make the best sexual choices possible within context.
Afaceinthematrix
In every first world country that I know of, 12 is not an acceptable age to have sex. If I had a 16-year-old, I'd expect that they may have sex rather I like it or not (and I wouldn't like it) and so I'd take their education into my own hands and make sure that they have condoms and know how to use them.

In the third world, it's unfortunate that 12 is often around the age where girls are forced to wed. That's obviously a whole other issue.

In the U.S. we do have major issues with sexual education in that it's often nonexistent or abstinence based education. I have no problem with abstinence, obviously, because it's 100% effective. I do, however, have an issue with teaching it as a way to prevent stds/pregnancies because studies have constantly shown that in areas where you're taught "this is a condom and this is how you use it" have far less teenage pregnancy than "if you have sex you'll go to Hell."

Then there's the tons of religious people that, despite the evidence, believe that if you teach kids about how to have safe sex they'll just go out and have tons of sex and so their risk will actually be higher. This is absurd because teenagers will have as much sex as they can regardless and so they might as well be safe.