FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

GOP government shutdown cost USA $25 Billion

handfleisch
Make no mistake: the mess in Washington, DC that just happened was caused by the Republican, especially the extremists in the Republican party known as the "Tea Party". No one really knows what is wrong with these people or what causes them to do what they do -- are they stupid, malicious, racist, dysfunctional, incompetent, corrupt, or some combination of all the above?

They voted over 40 times to repeal the Affordable Care Act and failed each time. 40 times! Then they did this government shutdown, refusing to do a normal bureaucratic procedure, in order to hold the government hostage to get their demands.

In the end, they failed on that too--but the shutdown cost the US economy $25 Billion dollars. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/16/government-shutdown-cost_n_4110818.html

The GOP is a danger to the USA. Take a look at these photos. It has gone insane.
Afaceinthematrix
There have always been extremists in every political organization that I can think of. I don't think that these people represent your average American republican (except maybe in rural areas of the South). From my experience, most of the Republicans that I knew when I lived in Los Angeles (for the majority of my life and up until recently) really followed more of a libertarian stance.

I'm not interested in poking fun at one group of people right now but extremism in any political/religious organization is a serious problem that needs to go away. And fillerbustering (or shutting down government) when you can't get your way everytime is little different from a child throwing a temper tampdrum.

Political division is an important part to any healthy democracy (and people having different viewpoints and then voting on them is sometimes how you find the best solution... there's no point in voting if everyone is the same) but the political division in the States is getting ridiculous.
coolclay
You just couldn't help yourself could you handfliesch. Your as bad as them when you spew your liberal brainwash junk. There isn't anyone with clean hands except maybe all the moderate republicans, and democrats after this last political fiasco known as the shutdown of 2013.

You know what causes the divisive, and polarized issues that stop any real progress being conducted by our government? It's the view that I am right and you are wrong, and it's my way or the highway. Instead of working to make our country better some of our politicians think winning seats and votes is more important. Which brings me back around again as to why you are part of the problem. Maybe instead of pointing fingers we could talk about what our politicians can do to make compromises, and solve issues instead of fighting one another.

Unfortunately it seems all the people in our country who actually think for themselves get drowned all by all the screaming between the extremists.

The Affordable Care Act has plenty of issues, and many of our politicians have raised legitimate concerns over it. Unfortunately there are those extreme Republicans that hate it simply because Obama was the driving force behind it, and unfortunately there are those extreme Democrats who think it is God's gift to the country and is a flawless work of art printed on gold paper and refuse to even consider the possibilities that it will have negative impacts on our country. Both the extremists overwhelm the large majority who are in the middle.

In my opinion you are a living, breathing example of why extremist politicians get elected.
handfleisch
coolclay wrote:
You just couldn't help yourself could you handfliesch. Your as bad as them when you spew your liberal brainwash junk. There isn't anyone with clean hands except maybe all the moderate republicans, and democrats after this last political fiasco known as the shutdown of 2013.

You know what causes the divisive, and polarized issues that stop any real progress being conducted by our government? It's the view that I am right and you are wrong, and it's my way or the highway. Instead of working to make our country better some of our politicians think winning seats and votes is more important. Which brings me back around again as to why you are part of the problem. Maybe instead of pointing fingers we could talk about what our politicians can do to make compromises, and solve issues instead of fighting one another.

Unfortunately it seems all the people in our country who actually think for themselves get drowned all by all the screaming between the extremists.

The Affordable Care Act has plenty of issues, and many of our politicians have raised legitimate concerns over it. Unfortunately there are those extreme Republicans that hate it simply because Obama was the driving force behind it, and unfortunately there are those extreme Democrats who think it is God's gift to the country and is a flawless work of art printed on gold paper and refuse to even consider the possibilities that it will have negative impacts on our country. Both the extremists overwhelm the large majority who are in the middle.

In my opinion you are a living, breathing example of why extremist politicians get elected.

Wow. What a post. Are you feeling so defensive that you have to spew insults like this? If you think you have any defensible argument at all, why don't you cite one bit of "liberal brainwash junk" that I've posted, then we can discuss it.

But probably you're just projecting your own state of mind onto others. Look at the ridiculous statement you made--first you admit what is plainly obvious, that there are "extreme Republicans that hate it simply because Obama was the driving force behind it" and then you pretend there is some kind of equivalency, by creating this fantasy world: "extreme Democrats who think it is God's gift to the country and is a flawless work of art printed on gold paper and refuse to even consider the possibilities that it will have negative impacts on our country." Please cite some examples, since I've never heard a single person say that. Obama himself has said it will need to be tweaked. So what the heck are you talking about?

Probably you're just pissed and shocked that the GOP has proved itself to be as bad as I've always said they were, and now you have to say "the other side is just as bad blah blah" kind of BS. Or maybe you're just spouting the nonsense you hear on talk radio and FOX. And you're calling others brainwashed?

You just sound so ignorant. Millions of Americans will no longer go bankrupt just because they get a serious illness--and you're mumbling about the "negative impacts". Cite some, stop just being a dittohead.
Josh255
The quote "A house divided cannot stand" pretty much explains where the US is going if things don't change. Its hard but it is true.
deanhills
Josh255 wrote:
The quote "A house divided cannot stand" pretty much explains where the US is going if things don't change. Its hard but it is true.
Agreed. But at the minimum the Government should be fired for this kind of failure. Wonder who is going to compensate the 25-billion? Wonder how many millionaires scored out of the deals that were possible from the delays as well?
Pippo90
For me as a European, it still continues to sound unbelievable that a country can "close", as if it were a factory or a shop.
deanhills
Pippo90 wrote:
For me as a European, it still continues to sound unbelievable that a country can "close", as if it were a factory or a shop.
Not only that, but that the citizens of the country allow it to happen as though they're just the victims without demanding accountability by their Government, and firing the Government.
handfleisch
deanhills wrote:
Pippo90 wrote:
Not only that, but that the citizens of the country allow it to happen as though they're just the victims without demanding accountability by their Government, and firing the Government.
It wasn't the whole gov't that did it, it was the Tea Party Republicans. And guess what? Several of them lost elections soon after the shutdown, so yes, we are firing them.
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Pippo90 wrote:
It wasn't the whole gov't that did it, it was the Tea Party Republicans. And guess what? Several of them lost elections soon after the shutdown, so yes, we are firing them.
With respect Handfleisch is this blame game getting any one closer to a solution? Isn't that part of the problem as well?
BigGeek
I am a registered republican but have not voted republican in the last 3 elections, George Bush Jr. & what I watched happen in this country after 911 turned me sour on the republican party. The wealthy cater to the wealthy and they have done everything in their power to destroy the middle class while handing the money siphoned off the middle class to the corporate profits, and upper 1% of the population. People complain about Obama and the democrats only adding 10 to 20K jobs per month, but during the republican rules we were loosing 100K or more jobs per month. At least under Obama we weren't seeing the jobs flow overseas at a mind boggling rate.

As far as health care goes is Obama Care fool proof....hell no it has problems. But shutting down the Government and costing the economy 25 billion, is that the way to handle the concerns over the Affordable Care act? When something gets passed that they don't like they inflict more damage on the economy than the outsourcing and unemployment hadn't already inflicted from 8 years of republican rule?

When the Executive Powers act was on the table a radio station in Denver had their morning disc jockey trying to call, email, and regular mail his congressman and senator to ask that they not vote for this bill. For 60 days he called, emailed, and mailed a letter every single day. Never once got through to a live person.

Why don't the American people care, why are these politicians untouchable and unaccountable? Because the system is broken, they are owned by the wealthy and can do what they want until voted out. That's the problem, not the complacent people.

It seems sad when crooks, liars, and thieves defraud the public to get into office, reek havoc on the system for the own private and personal interests, corrupt beyond measure, and then the people get blamed for not holding them accountable.

How do we fix the system, how do we hold them accountable, how do we make them pay us back for the financial devastation they cause? Petitions don't stop them, writing, calling, and emailing them does not stop them, so how do we achieve this holding them accountable?

What's the next step, go to war, riot? What options do we have when peaceful means fail? What's the answer, another revolution? No one wants that, and the peaceful means fail. So like myself most just keep working at their lives and ignore the asinine idiots that have been elected into office.

Seriously it is not the complacent, lazy citizens that are to blame, it is a system that gives favor to these ass hats and refuses to hold them accountable for their actions.

Why did we spend over 50 million dollars when Bill Clinton was in office digging up dirt on his past and investigating him for literally nothing, but Bush Jr. and Cheney were never once investigated for war profiteering?

The system is broken and as long as crooks run for and are elected to office it will never be fixed!!!

Just my 2 cents!!!