FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hoping for a response. NEED Help..

icebox27
I don't know if Im in the right forum topic, Well, I have website, I need an access to my database made in excel, so my customers can search some details of my database.. But I dont want them to see the whole database.. Its like a form where they can type a unique ID or their name, then when they click search, they will see the result that they wnt to see...THANKS IN Advancce! Razz
rx9876
icebox27 wrote:
I don't know if Im in the right forum topic, Well, I have website, I need an access to my database made in excel, so my customers can search some details of my database.. But I dont want them to see the whole database.. Its like a form where they can type a unique ID or their name, then when they click search, they will see the result that they wnt to see...THANKS IN Advancce! Razz

I can't understand your "question",
because I only see the situation description.

I supposed you want a hint to do a excel query,
you can build it from zero according to some sample codes here (
http://www.ehow.com/how_12113465_query-spreadsheets-php.html ) .

There are also some libraries to do that.
PHPExcel
( http://phpexcel.codeplex.com/ )
php-excel-reader
( http://code.google.com/p/php-excel-reader/wiki/Documentation )

About the permission,
I think you could implement it by put the data users are allowed to search in the excel files only.
That's the easiest way.
sonam
If you don't want to give access to your full database then keep this database out of public_html folder. Create one folder out of your public_html folder, for example db folder. Then define path for it:

Code:
define("PATH", "/home/yourusername/db/");

and then just call your data base via php:

Code:

$excel= new Spreadsheet_Excel_Reader();
$excel->read(PATH . 'database.xls');

Sonam
Marcuzzo
Is there a reason for using an excel sheet as database?
why don't you simply use the MySql database that is included in your hosting and just pull data from it and display the contents.
you can also write the entries to a *.csv file which can be opened in Excel
rx9876
Marcuzzo wrote:
Is there a reason for using an excel sheet as database?
why don't you simply use the MySql database that is included in your hosting and just pull data from it and display the contents.
you can also write the entries to a *.csv file which can be opened in Excel

Maybe it's easier to maintain the data.
The web manager pulls the excel files from server, and gives them to the data owner to edit or review.
If the performance is acceptable, I think it's a workable solution.
Marcuzzo
rx9876 wrote:
Maybe it's easier to maintain the data.
The web manager pulls the excel files from server, and gives them to the data owner to edit or review.
If the performance is acceptable, I think it's a workable solution.

you may be right, but I wouldn't recommend that solution to anybody.
I recently created a webapp where the client also wanted an excell file to view/edit/review the data.
The reason for this was that he was used to his previous 'system' ( if you could call it that), I had never seen such a poorly designed system in my life and the first thing that I did was to normalise the data from scratch without even looking at the database that was in use. after this I wrote the sql scripts and created a migration script to migrate all the data. the PHP frontend does everything you could want to do with the data in terms of reviewing and/or editting and I even threw in a way to create an export in Excel for reporting ( I suggested a proper reporting tool but they had an excell sheet that was 'programmed' by an Excell "Programmer" ( think: Giant "laser" Laughing ) that would generate a report in another Excellworkbook ( at this point I didn't even tried to convince them anymore ).
and they loved it. at this moment their management is even thinking of removing the entire Excell reporting and have me implement real reporting
codersfriend
Maybe you should use MS Access instead of excel if you want to call it a database.. Either ways you can use n external library to read excel files like this
Arrogant
If you use a MySQL database, I think there will be no problems.
Meets your every requirements