FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SMALLEST PETROL ENGINE

nickfyoung
I can remember my grand father when he was filling his car with fuel he would shake off the drips into his cigarette lighter. We may be doing that with our laptops soon if the smallest petrol engine does away with batteries as predicted. It is supposed to run for 6 months on one fill of fuel so no more battery charging.

http://internetmarketing.frihost.org/category/uncategorized
deanhills
Sort of confounds me that someone in the IT industry hasn't come up with an alternative to the battery. Maybe they have, but it's not viable cost wise yet? Almost as though the battery has not kept pace with all of the other innovations of the same product. Which is a doubly whammy, as the new innovations require more battery power.
watersoul
nickfyoung wrote:
I can remember my grand father when he was filling his car with fuel he would shake off the drips into his cigarette lighter. We may be doing that with our laptops soon if the smallest petrol engine does away with batteries as predicted. It is supposed to run for 6 months on one fill of fuel so no more battery charging.

http://internetmarketing.frihost.org/category/uncategorized

Oh, I'm disappointed Nick, you copy and paste an old (2007) story from the rag that is The Sun, a UK tabloid newspaper, then do not reference your source in your blog, as above.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article80219.ece

It is a wild but unsurprising exaggeration by the original author/journalist, simply checking out the energy capacity of petroleum originated liquid hydrocarbons will show that the 'one drop' lasting 'for months' line just doesn't stack up to the maths.
standready
watersoul wrote:
Oh, I'm disappointed Nick,

Me too, watersoul. I thought there was going to be some good information but old 'rag' rehash info.
nickfyoung
Sorry guy, I didn't know the original source. I came to me in an email and I just posted it on my blog so I could link to it. Thought is was a new story and would be interesting.
spinout
Hm, and I always thought it was the 289 small block chevy that was the smallest.... Cool
Atleast they sound cool
standready
spinout wrote:
Hm, and I always thought it was the 289 small block chevy that was the smallest.... Cool
Atleast they sound cool

I guess you never saw at least a lawn mower engine.
spinout
absolutely not!!!! That does not qualify as an engine!!! Cool Cool

What's the biggest???
coolclay
I use to fly remote control airplanes. Mine had a tiny like 4 cm x 4 cm internal combustion engine powered by methanol. That little thing was awesome!
spinout
petrol and methanol is different. I used to spill in methanol and nitromethane in my moped... hehe, speed of light on 2 wheels...
standready
spinout wrote:
absolutely not!!!! That does not qualify as an engine!!! Cool Cool

What's the biggest???

Go look for the size of the very first internal combustion engine. Chevy was actually 283 cu.in. V-8. Ever hear of a car with a 6 cylinder or even a 4 cylinder engine? Going even smaller - motorcycles.
Bikerman
Smallest I know of is about 1cc
http://antiquemodelenginesrunning.blogspot.co.uk/

As for petrol drops lasting....Petrol energy density approx 47MJ/Kg.
Weight of a typical drop of petrol...1/30th gram
Energy available in 1 drop petrol (assuming perfect combustion) = 47x10^6/1000x1/30 Joules = 1566 Joules per drop = 0.435 Wh.
That, for context, would be enough to light a 60 Watt light bulb for about 25 mins
spinout
Ok, the 283... More embarracement for chevy and myself Laughing

Ok, I did have a 232 6 cyl Javelin engine once... But the rest of the car was super (rambler american) - best traction ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zeo3Hdo4Q18

About petrol... this is my cousin/neighbour car, small block chevy - > guess milage in litres???? (hint; more than twice of my 305 with a holley racing carb - absurd actually)

... 4 litres per 10 km... cost for a litre in sweden >14 SEK (appr 2 USD)
10 km eq 6.2 miles... hm 8 USD per 6.2 miles... 1.3 USD per mile ... absurd Shocked

MODERATOR - Three serial posts combined with first in series. Please review The Forum Rules and The Frihost hosting FAQ to avoid future infractions.
-Ankhanu
spinout
Smallest chevy small block V8 was 262... Read in a mag last night - a mapping of V8 engines and the most popular was the chevy small block and it's speed mod popularity.

Aha, this might be a double posting? hm, but the above was 2 days ago? Or,,, confused
Ankhanu
A day or two is ok; a couple minutes or hours, you should edit.