FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

help to remove babylon toolbar from chrome?

lannisters
Hi there,
I'm new here, but i have problem with google chrome. It works perfectly fine until yesterday when I opened a new tab it brought up something called babylon search.
Now I wan't to get rid of it and it seems like I'd have to do something more than a simple removal from the "Add/Remove program" option. It must have something to do with the registry, but I can not able to clean that.
The other day someone in yahoo answers suggest a babylon toolbar removal guide
it requires to download an antivirus not heard before,
I just want to make sure everything won't go wrong again.
so is there a simpler way to remove this everyone hated toolbar?
Please suggest!
Josso
Hey I am pretty sure spybot s&d should remove this, be careful though because it comes up with all kinds of false positives and advisory warnings instead of actual threats. (not hinting that BT shouldn't be removed)
Marcuzzo
the add and remove programs items are in fact listen in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall but that is not the problem.

you should be able to remove it by following the steps in this posting
cybersa
If you don't want to mess with Registry,then reinstall chrome completely.
Try but i don't know whether it will work or not.
CHAOS-THEORY
http://www.google.com/search?client=aff-maxthon-newtab&channel=t2&q=babylon%20toolbar%20uninstall%20chrome

i dont want to live on this planet anymore
Marcuzzo
CHAOS-THEORY wrote:
i dont want to live on this planet anymore

please elaborate?
manfer
What I would do

• Remove the software if it appears in Control Panel Add/Remove.

• Check if in chrome it appears as an extension and remove it. Look only for babylon on this step. Guide for removing google extensions.

• Reset Chrome Settings which restores default search engine, homepage, default startup tabs, new tab page, pinned tabs, content settings, cookies and sites data, extensions and themes. Read the guide to be very sure you understand what are you going to lose doing the reset. It isn't anything crucial the things you lose but be sure you understand what are all those things. Guide to reset Chrome Settings.

• Look for Chrome updates. Guide to update chrome.

• Optional: Windows Registry is just an awful system and is going to be a mesh no matter how much you want to have it clean. So optionally you can try to clean the babylon entries trash on the registry.

• Remove any extension than you don't identify as a reliable extension. If in doubt remove it. If I'm not wrong Chrome comes only bundle with one extension -google docs- and even that one can be removed if someone doesn't want it. Guide for removing google extensions

• Reenable any extension you know is reliable and you want to have, if you have any. Guide to manage extensions.

The same is valid for any other software that hijacks chrome browser. I would be surprised if any survives those steps -that would mean it is a more serious threat than just a browser hijacker-
alansyahrir
i use the combinations of three applications below to remove the extension / toolbar, remove the adware, 'til reset the browser settings:

1. ccleaner, https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
2. avast browser cleanup, https://www.avast.com/en-id/browser-cleanup
3. GData Clean Up, https://secure.gd/dl-uscleanup

the process i did was:

1. uninstall the unknown software in ccleaner (tools --> uninstall)
2. run cleaner in ccleaner (cleaner --> run cleaner)
3. run and scan the browsers using avast browser cleanup, remove the bad/unknown extensions found.
4. run GData Clean Up, remove the adware and/or malicious items found.