FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lenovo G580 VS Fujitsu Lifebook AH532

jamaljan
hi..

am thinking of purchasing a laptop, will be using it for general work like ms-office, internet, watching movies and stuff and running software like rosetta stone and occasionally mathematica, matlab, statica etc...

Am not really sure if i3 would be enough for me or should I go for i5... I've found out after a lot of searching two i5 laptops which I think would be better and the bill will fit my pocket as welll... Please suggest which one should I go for...

Fujitsu Lifebook AH532 Notebook
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3230M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz)
Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
Hard Drive: 500GB (5,400rpm)
Display: 15.6" SuperFine HD TFT LED Backlit (1366 x 768 pixels, 200nits brightness)
Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW
LAN: Yes
Wireless LAN - WiFi: Yes
Bluetooth: v4.0
Card Reader: Yes
Webcam: Yes
Graphic Card: Intel® HD Graphics 4000
More Info: Made In Germany - HDMI - Black Color - Spill-resistant Keyboard
Price: Approx: 489 USD
(http://www.czone.com.pk/laptops-new-fujitsu-laptops-fujitsu-lifebook-ah532-notebook-pakistan-p.1211.aspx)

Lenovo G580
Processor Type: Intel® Core™ i5
Processor Speed: 2.5GHz
Hard drive size: 500GB
Installed RAM: 4GB
Screen size: 15.6 Inches
Processor Type: Intel® Core™ i5
Processor Model i5-3210M
Processor Speed 2.5GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 3.1 GHz
Processor Bits 64-Bits
Processor Threads 4
No of Cores 2
L3 cache 3 MB
Number of memry slots 2 Slots
Installed RAM 4GB
Maximum memory 8GB
Type of memory DDR3 SDRAM
Hard drive size 500GB
Hard drive speed 5400rpm
Optical Drive Yes
Type of optical drive Multiformat DVD Writer
Card Reader No
Dedicated graphics No
Aspect ratio 16:9
Backlight LED
Screen size 15.6 Inches
Screen resolution 1366 x 768
Cost: 480 USD
(http://homeshopping.pk/products/Lenovo-G580--i5-DOS-Laptop-in-Pakistan.html)
jamaljan
hmm, can anyone please help...
Ankhanu
jamaljan wrote:
am thinking of purchasing a laptop, will be using it for general work like ms-office, internet, watching movies and stuff and running software like rosetta stone and occasionally mathematica, matlab, statica etc...

Am not really sure if i3 would be enough for me or should I go for i5...

A C2D would be sufficient for your demands... though if you're doing a lot of multitasking, obviously more power is better Wink

These two systems look to be virtually identical in terms of actual performance. Some of the specs differ a little bit, but, by so little that you wouldn't notice one being actually faster than the other.
The prices are within 2% of one another... in other words, just as meaninglessly different as the specs. Get whichever looks to have a better screen and/or keyboard/track pad for your preference.
jamaljan
Ankhanu wrote:
jamaljan wrote:

Am not really sure if i3 would be enough for me or should I go for i5...

A C2D would be sufficient for your demands... though if you're doing a lot of multitasking, obviously more power is better Wink

These two systems look to be virtually identical in terms of actual performance. Some of the specs differ a little bit, but, by so little that you wouldn't notice one being actually faster than the other.
The prices are within 2% of one another... in other words, just as meaninglessly different as the specs. Get whichever looks to have a better screen and/or keyboard/track pad for your preference.

hmm, really... core2duo would be enough??? well, am just thinking in long term...that i can use the laptop for at least 3-5 years... Very Happy
Ankhanu
Yeah, get the best system you can afford Smile

But yeah, I was running my main OS (MacOS), a virtual machine (Windows XP), web-browser, MS Word & Excel along with stats packages like SPSS, Statistica, etc. and occasionally Photoshop too on my old C2D MacBook with only minor performance loss... Drop one of the operating systems running and performance would improve greatly.

Likewise, when working for Parks Canada, I've been using a C2D system running Windows 7 and only 4Gb RAM. I run a browser, Word, Excel, R and some GPS-based programs at the same time with regularity. It's not ideal, but it does the job in reasonable time frames.

With that in mind, though, I certainly have upgraded my home system from a C2D to a quad core i7 MacBook Pro, and I've been rather enjoying it's power Wink The faster, the happier you'll be for longer.
codegeek
Go for the Lenovo PC. Lenovo is a very solid brand that makes really good PCs. A group of my friends bought PCs at around the same time. The Lenovo seems to have outlasted all the others. Of course, I am aware this proves nothing, but it seems even during the beginning, the Lenovo was a lot more comfortable to use than the others. So, I'd say Lenovo instead of Fujitsu.
jamaljan
codegeek wrote:
Go for the Lenovo PC. Lenovo is a very solid brand that makes really good PCs. A group of my friends bought PCs at around the same time. The Lenovo seems to have outlasted all the others. Of course, I am aware this proves nothing, but it seems even during the beginning, the Lenovo was a lot more comfortable to use than the others. So, I'd say Lenovo instead of Fujitsu.

Thanks, am currently using T510 (Lenovo thinkpad) in my office and its built quality is very good. But for G580 someone told me the following...

Quote:
Lenovo (ex-IBM) Thinkpads are business-class. The G580 is not a "Thinkpad", it is an "Essential".

Lenovo classifications:

T/X/W/Twist = Thinkpad Premium
Sl/Edge/L/S/Helix = Thinkpad
Y/U/P/Z/S/Yoga/Flex = Ideapad
G/B = Essential

In terms of build quality:

Thinkpad Premium > Thinkpad/Ideapad > Essential