FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's your favourite gaming platform?

Your favourite platform?
PC
68%
 68%  [ 13 ]
X Box
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Playstation
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Mobile Phone
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Wii
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Arcade
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
PSP
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

harrer
Earlier it used to be just PC, arcade, PS and X Box.

But now there are so many platforms available.

Which one do you like?
drjim
my personal and pretty much only (now a days) is the PC gaming platform. the PC gaming platform is much superior in comparison to xbox 360 and playstation 3. the prices on games are much cheaper, and you can easily use game modifications and new maps when it comes to PC gaming. when it comes to console gaming, a lot of the time you have to buy DLCs (download content), which is crazy, because on the PC version... a lot of the times you can get those exact DLCs for free. pretty crazy

pcgaming ftw.
Pippo90
I chose PC, but only because it's the only game platform I have ever owned. Wink
harrer
My platform of choice has now become my phone. I can quickly and anywhere play games on it.
codegeek
PC: because of the better graphics. Plus, I'm more accustomed to a keyboard and mouse style control.
Nick2008
Although I have a Playstation 3 and enjoy playing it here and there, PCs are still superior in every aspect. With proper specs, their capabilities are far superior, the amount of modifications and compatible game controllers are unsurpassed, and the games that are played on a PC tend to be more advanced and immersing.
pravojednostavno
PC and tablet
SpaceInvader75
If money is not a factor, then certainly I would say the PC. But that was one of my reasons for buying a console. Certainly you can get more games for the PC, but as a gamer who has played on both consoles and games (probably more games on PC) I find it difficult to justify spending the money on a gaming PC.

I'm open to debate on this, but here is the basis for my opinion:

You would probably spend more money on the cheapert new computer than you would for a new console, and not be able to even come close to the graphics on your computer that you would on your console. I know of no budget computers that even come with graphics cards. Certainly, you could argue that the reason the current gaming consoles are so cheap is that they are outdated. But if they are so outdated why can't entry level computers even begin to compete?

Now, maybe the question is, how much money would it take you to upgrade that entry level computer to a decent gaming computer? And in the sense of decent, I only mean something comparable to what a $300 console will run (assuming that you paid $300 for your computer, if that is even possible). And immediately, I can see problems with a computer in that price range. You might not even be able to add a capable graphics card, because budget computers have a tendency to have smaller cases. Even if it had room, the power supply would probably not produce enough output.

That being said, I don't like having to pay for xbox live. And maybe I can answer this question again, once I have tried out one of the new consoles, but right now I would definitely say that I prefer either xbox 360 or PS4 for gaming, due to budget restrictions.

Yes, there are many more free games for the PC, but they do you no good if you can't afford the gaming PC in the first place.

I'm open to more opinions on this.
william
SpaceInvader75 wrote:
If money is not a factor, then certainly I would say the PC. But that was one of my reasons for buying a console. Certainly you can get more games for the PC, but as a gamer who has played on both consoles and games (probably more games on PC) I find it difficult to justify spending the money on a gaming PC.

I'm open to debate on this, but here is the basis for my opinion:

You would probably spend more money on the cheapert new computer than you would for a new console, and not be able to even come close to the graphics on your computer that you would on your console. I know of no budget computers that even come with graphics cards. Certainly, you could argue that the reason the current gaming consoles are so cheap is that they are outdated. But if they are so outdated why can't entry level computers even begin to compete?

Now, maybe the question is, how much money would it take you to upgrade that entry level computer to a decent gaming computer? And in the sense of decent, I only mean something comparable to what a $300 console will run (assuming that you paid $300 for your computer, if that is even possible). And immediately, I can see problems with a computer in that price range. You might not even be able to add a capable graphics card, because budget computers have a tendency to have smaller cases. Even if it had room, the power supply would probably not produce enough output.

That being said, I don't like having to pay for xbox live. And maybe I can answer this question again, once I have tried out one of the new consoles, but right now I would definitely say that I prefer either xbox 360 or PS4 for gaming, due to budget restrictions.

Yes, there are many more free games for the PC, but they do you no good if you can't afford the gaming PC in the first place.

I'm open to more opinions on this.

Well, if you only aim to play games at medium settings (which is what consoles are capable of, at best), a $500 custom built PC will do the job pretty easily. Higher end gaming PCs are so much more powerful than consoles, it makes sense why they cost more. Now, since the PS4 has come out, it's true that you will not be able to put together a comparable gaming PC for $400 unless you're very clever with how you purchase your components. Up front, it is certainly a cheaper option. However, let's assume the average individual spends $500 on a normal PC anyway (an entry level computer, as you mentioned). For the most part, if they spend $100-$200 more, they'll have something capable of playing nearly every game (and that's largely because the 360/PS3, which have the graphics performance of roughly a GeForce 7800 GT, have held back development). Certainly, some systems will be limited by the case size and, more often, the power supply. But if you plan ahead for future proofing in the beginning, it's not too big of a problem. Any $400 PC (and many $350 PCs) I would put together wouldn't have any trouble being upgraded to play games, and a $500 PC would be able to hang with the next generation of consoles anyway.

Then, of course, there are other prices that come with consoles. Xbox Live, as you mentioned (and now PS+ as well) as well as the cost of games themselves. In the long run, if you play a large number of games, a PC will be far cheaper just because of the games. I'll give you an example. I had meaning to purchase Batman: Arkham Asylum for my PS3. The cheapest it's ever been is $10 (and that's about the lowest I've seen on the used market). Last week, for less than $4.50, I got Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, F.E.A.R. 1-3, LoTR: War in the North, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Mortal Kombat Komplete Collection, and a number of other games/DLC for PC. Not $4.50 each, all of those for under $4.50. Also for about $4.50, I got another bundle that contains Dead Space 1 and 3, Mirror's Edge, Crysis 2, Medal of Honor, Burnout Paradise, Battlefield 3, The Sims 3, Red Alert 3, and a couple others I'm forgetting. These are only the most recent deals I can think of, there are many more out there. In a nutshell, PC games are vastly cheaper. It's not even close when it comes to software pricing.

I still own consoles for exclusives and for local multiplayer games. But for most multiplatform titles, I turn to the PC because not only do the games run better, they're much much cheaper. The way I see it, a gaming PC serves as both your workstation and primary gateway to the internet, as well as a console for not too much more than a new console. When the price of games is factored in, it may very well be the cheaper way to play.

By the way, for what its' worth, the $500 gaming PC I'm thinking of essentially includes a hexacore AMD FX-6300, a Radeon HD 7850 (similar to what's in the PS4), and 8 GB of RAM.
SpaceInvader75
Quote:
Well, if you only aim to play games at medium settings (which is what consoles are capable of, at best), a $500 custom built PC will do the job pretty easily.

I'm still not sure where you would buy such a system. I was looking at one somebody asked about in another forum, and the included gaming card was reviewed as Playing BF3 on medium settings, only getting around 15 fps.

Now, I did buy a cheap PC and upgrade it (Power Supply, memory, CPU and added video card) to make a budget gaming system. And I could probably do the same thing again (or maybe a $500 build). But what if the user can't upgrade or build his own?

I agree that the game prices could be cheaper. I haven't used Steam in a while, but I got some very nice deals there. Maybe I will consider buying or upgrading a gaming PC, instead of getting another console, since, as you mentioned, I can run software on the PC that I can't run on a console.
william
SpaceInvader75 wrote:
Quote:
Well, if you only aim to play games at medium settings (which is what consoles are capable of, at best), a $500 custom built PC will do the job pretty easily.

I'm still not sure where you would buy such a system. I was looking at one somebody asked about in another forum, and the included gaming card was reviewed as Playing BF3 on medium settings, only getting around 15 fps.

Now, I did buy a cheap PC and upgrade it (Power Supply, memory, CPU and added video card) to make a budget gaming system. And I could probably do the same thing again (or maybe a $500 build). But what if the user can't upgrade or build his own?

I agree that the game prices could be cheaper. I haven't used Steam in a while, but I got some very nice deals there. Maybe I will consider buying or upgrading a gaming PC, instead of getting another console, since, as you mentioned, I can run software on the PC that I can't run on a console.

I've occasionally seen sales (mostly from Gateway, it seems) that could fit the bill. But I'm not too well versed with pre-built desktops, so I'm not entirely sure where you would purchase such a system. I mean, some companies will sell you a PC for only a little bit more than what it would cost to build, but they rarely offer good $500 systems. You do make a fair point about users that are unable to upgrade or build a PC themselves. For them, perhaps the simplicity of a console is best (though, my idea of console simplicity used to be: insert game, press power, play...that seems to have changed). Or, I guess if they were planning on spending $500 anyway, another $200 (about the price of a 360) on top to make it gaming capable would be an option. At $700 it's a lot easier to find a pre-built system that can game well.

Also, not sure what graphics card the build you were looking at had, but the $500 system I had in mind runs Battlefield 3 on high settings with DirectX 11 at 1080p around 55 fps, which is pretty decent. Oh, for what it's worth, I did not include a monitor or peripherals in the price, so maybe that's the difference.
LostOverThere
I suppose PC, seeing it's where I have the most games. With that being said, nothing beats laying on your couch playing games on your TV with friends. So, I guess both PC and consoles have their own advantages.
SpaceInvader75
Quote:
You do make a fair point about users that are unable to upgrade or build a PC themselves. For them, perhaps the simplicity of a console is best (though, my idea of console simplicity used to be: insert game, press power, play...that seems to have changed). Or, I guess if they were planning on spending $500 anyway, another $200 (about the price of a 360) on top to make it gaming capable would be an option. At $700 it's a lot easier to find a pre-built system that can game well.

I did not not know when I wrote this that the xbox one was going to be about $700. I didn't look at the price because I knew I couldn't afford one right now anyway. I heard this higher price was because of the Kinect? And I also heard that Sony is going to be charging for network access, as well. These two things do not make me want to rush out and buy another console.

As far as simplicity, I agree that consoles are not as simple anymore. Some games require you to install things on your hard drive (which doesn't always come with the system). The only good thing about this is that you can access internet and run some apps on your console. I've used Internet Explorer (which does not really display everything correctly) YouTube (which seems to work pretty well) Netflix (probably my favorite app) Last FM (which is OK, but doesn't really compare to GrooveShark, in my opinion) and other TV apps. The biggest problem I've had is I do not have a keyboard for my xbox. Anyway, it would be interesting to find out if the xbox one (or ps4) are going to improve on internet apps.

Quote:
I suppose PC, seeing it's where I have the most games. With that being said, nothing beats laying on your couch playing games on your TV with friends. So, I guess both PC and consoles have their own advantages.

I agree with this. Now, you could hook up your PC to your TV, but I'm not sure about the controllers. Does anyone know if you can play with your friends on the same PC? Of course, there are many games for consoles that are not multiplayer in that sense either; you can play friends on another console, but not in the same room.
william
SpaceInvader75 wrote:

I did not not know when I wrote this that the xbox one was going to be about $700. I didn't look at the price because I knew I couldn't afford one right now anyway. I heard this higher price was because of the Kinect? And I also heard that Sony is going to be charging for network access, as well. These two things do not make me want to rush out and buy another console.

As far as simplicity, I agree that consoles are not as simple anymore. Some games require you to install things on your hard drive (which doesn't always come with the system). The only good thing about this is that you can access internet and run some apps on your console. I've used Internet Explorer (which does not really display everything correctly) YouTube (which seems to work pretty well) Netflix (probably my favorite app) Last FM (which is OK, but doesn't really compare to GrooveShark, in my opinion) and other TV apps. The biggest problem I've had is I do not have a keyboard for my xbox. Anyway, it would be interesting to find out if the xbox one (or ps4) are going to improve on internet apps.

Sorry, I think I misworded it. I meant that an Xbox 360 is $200. I'm basically running off the assumption that an average individual needs a basic PC for productivity (that costs around $500), and adding $200 worth of upgrades to make it gaming capable doesn't cost any more than buying a console to supplement the PC. It's personal preference at that point, though. The Xbox One is still $500, though, and you do need Live to take full advantage of it, so it's still not that cheap. It is $100 more than the PS4 and that's likely because Kinect is bundled (plus, they have to cover the R&D they put into Kinect 2).

And yeah, I agree, the apps are nice and sometimes easier to use from a couch than a PC (which requires browsing to the website). I use my PS3 for Netflix and Amazon Instant Video a fair amount. Unfortunately, Youtube isn't an option. But wow, the thought of Grooveshark on a console sounds fantastic. Very Happy It's actually a real bummer that the PS4 won't even let you play your own MP3s, the only way to play music is using their subscription music service.

Quote:
I agree with this. Now, you could hook up your PC to your TV, but I'm not sure about the controllers. Does anyone know if you can play with your friends on the same PC? Of course, there are many games for consoles that are not multiplayer in that sense either; you can play friends on another console, but not in the same room.

You can but, like consoles, it really depends on the game. I play Super Street Fighter IV on my PC a fair bit, with one person using an Xbox 360 controller and the other using a Dualshock 3. Recently I was playing Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed on my laptop hooked up to a TV with two 360 controllers. There are a few other games as well like Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2, Serious Sam 3, Magicka, and Resident Evil 6. Still, PCs are probably not the greatest option for local multiplayer unless you use emulators a lot. Actually, now that I think about it, most of my local multiplayer gaming has been on Nintendo systems (seeing that the only local multiplayer game I have on PS3 is Gran Turismo 5). An interesting thought.
Trechs
If money was not the factor I would definately own either the new xbox or the ps4. Eitherway PC games have entertained me on a large scale so no complaints there.
SpaceInvader75
Quote:
If money was not the factor I would definately own either the new xbox or the ps4. Eitherway PC games have entertained me on a large scale so no complaints there.

If money was not the factor, I'm pretty sure you could buy a better gaming computer. Do you disagree?
PokemonHunter
of course PC
Technaut
In terms of objective power and flexibility, the PC performs the best of any platform. Especially with this generation of expensive yet lackluster consoles, all of which are easily outpaced by a moderately priced PC.

One thing to note is that consoles are becoming more and more like PCs. While console fanboys refuse violently to divert from their bigotry, the corporations that make their beloved boxes are realizing that the PC has been the ultimate platform all along, and the only way to stay relevant is to merge back into the PC gaming fold. After all, our industry develops all technology that consoles take advantage of, and they have always relied upon the advances made for PCs.

Now, that isn't to say that mass produced machines of exact specifications won't always be around, but they are moving towards being virtually indistinguishable from gaming PCs.
zacky
I am not into features, power capability of the device or whatever, as long as I enjoy playing the games, that's already enough and I get satisfied.

I like Wii so far as I can play with my Son and most of the games we play are very entertaining yet whole some games for family.
zacky
I am not into features, power capability of the device or whatever, as long as I enjoy playing the games, that's already enough and I get satisfied.

I like Wii so far as I can play with my Son and most of the games we play are very entertaining yet whole some games for family.
sysna
The answer from me is the PS series, i started my career with PS one and i never can forget the great games i've played in it. So for me it would be PS for ever.
Adalew
I choose handheld game console
Nyasro
Mobile Phone Smile
Schuchhi1999
WiiU
zuraguerra
I love my PC, but my phone offers me the possibility to play while heading to other places. It's more productive this way, I think.