FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How much storage should I have for a forum site?

harrer
For example I would like to have forum with expected around 2000 members, how much storage should I have?

Is frihost's 750 MB and 20GB bandwidth enough?
deanhills
Depends on what you are going to do with your Forum? What are you going to store? If it is a simple discussion Forum with average traffic, you have very good anti-spam measures and staff to check on discussions and kill spam, this is enormous space - 750MB is HUGE. But if you're going to have an intense Forum, with posting plenty of MB hungry materials, or the discussions are intense, or your members are downloading plenty of MB hungry materials from your Website, and/or there is plenty of spam that is not cleaned up regularly, your mySQL database could grow into a monster and your bandwidth could explode almost overnight.

I'd just check my bandwidth and disk space all of the time and when it starts to get past the half way mark, really watch it carefully and plan on alternative space. It's easy to monitor this in cPanel or DirectAdmin.
Josso
Mainly depends on attachments and traffic, what you really want to pay attention to is database limits like hourly sql commands, database size, etc.
Peterssidan
The Frihost limits are 1500 MB and 35 GB bandwidth. The disk limit will probably not be a problem unless you allow large files to be uploaded.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
The Frihost limits are 1500 MB and 35 GB bandwidth. The disk limit will probably not be a problem unless you allow large files to be uploaded.
Have you checked your disk space lately? I don't disagree with the figures you gave, as those are the ones that Bondings told us about in an official blog post (11 March 2012), except he gave the bandwidth as 25GB (maybe he increased it afterwards?). But just check your cPanel.

Could be the guys on Server 1 (my account is on Server1) got the same compensation as Server 4 members when they'd gone through Server problems as well. But Bondings did say towards end of 2012 he was going to increase the disk space and bandwidth (the new ones had already been in place). Maybe he did it without issuing an official blog post about it?
Peterssidan
The limits I posted are mentioned on the Frihost home page and are the same that I see in DirectAdmin (server 2). The bandwidth limit was upgraded to 35 GB when Frihost celebrated its 7th anniversary.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
The limits I posted are mentioned on the Frihost home page and are the same that I see in DirectAdmin (server 2). The bandwidth limit was upgraded to 35 GB when Frihost celebrated its 7th anniversary.
So mine is probably as a result of Server 1 stuff that happened. Thanks for updating me on the 35GB blog post and home page.
truespeed
Space will be fine as long as you don't allow attachments,as for bandwidth,that depends on traffic,2000 users doesn't really give us a good idea of how many visitors you get,or the amount of page views.

As an example,I get about 7000 visitors a day,and around 70 000 page views,that uses up about 4gbs a day in bandwidth,so I couldn't run my forum on frihost.

So using my figures as a rough guide,you should be able to work out if it is feasible for you to do so.
RoylanM
Now you can work with the stuff frihost gives you pretty well, I'd suggest try hosting extra images etc off frihost to save space and get cloudflare on your domain so they/you can block spam traffic so you won't use up that monthly bandwidth.
deanhills
RoylanM wrote:
I'd suggest try hosting extra images etc off frihost to save space and get cloudflare on your domain so they/you can block spam traffic so you won't use up that monthly bandwidth.
I don't trust cloudflare. Check out this feedback at myBB. I was once on the tail end as well of being blocked by Cloudflare. I was NOT impressed. The owner of that forum then got rid of Cloudflare as mine was not the only complaint.

This thread is really worth reading through, as it covers all pros and cons of cloudflare:

http://community.mybb.com/thread-114261.html
Josso
I had about half the sites I visit go down for about an hour the other day, DO NOT RELY ON CLOUDFLARE. They can't handle the customers they take on.
harrer
RoylanM wrote:
Now you can work with the stuff frihost gives you pretty well, I'd suggest try hosting extra images etc off frihost to save space and get cloudflare on your domain so they/you can block spam traffic so you won't use up that monthly bandwidth.

I think Akismet is better at blocking spam. It also works well with SMF.
Josso
btw guys the original reason I moved from Frihost was something to do with hourly SQL command limit for a forum
harrer
Josso wrote:
btw guys the original reason I moved from Frihost was something to do with hourly SQL command limit for a forum

What's with the limits? Please explain.
Qantas94Heavy
Josso wrote:

I have no idea what you are on about - you sure that your service was with Frihost?