FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google the knowledge engine and the future of webmastering

truespeed
With google moving ever closer to being a knowledge engine,built on the hard work of other webmasters whose content they have scraped and now use to answer questions themselves.

Eg; "how tall is the mount everest" (Google answered 8,848 m)

So with more and more search queries being answered by google themselves,where does that leave webmasters? If google eventually provides all the answers to all the questions,what use is there for any information based website?

There will be no need for anyone to ever click on a site for information as google has already answered your query,unless you want a more in-depth answer,either way,it will cut down on your traffic significantly,perhaps to the point where you think,what is the point.

Will you be affected? Have you already been affected?

Is this the right way to go for google to go? If webmasters stop creating content where does that leave the google of the future,even a search/knowledge engine needs new content.
deanhills
Well one thing that Google does is dig up ALL of the relevant answers. Which means we get millions of answers, particularly on popular searches. So I'd think that Websites will ALWAYS have a role to play to add depth to that search, as how often are we irritated with having to search through real JUNK links to get to the information we want? What often happens to me is that I get to a blog article about the subject I'm searching, and then through that blog, find other articles on the subject. Like Google pointing me in the "general direction" - VERY superficially, and I then get to meat in other Websites.
truespeed
But what happens as is happening now,if google provides you the answer,so you don't need to click on a link,more and more questions are being answered by google themselves,in most cases there is no need to click on any of the listed websites.

"what is the population of uruguay" (According to google the answer is 3.395 million (2012))

I didn't need to click on any website to find that out,google provided me with the answer.

Again: "who is the 34th president of the united states" (Answer: Dwight D. Eisenhower)

From a user point of view this is a good thing,we get the answers we want quickly,without having to go through site after site looking for it,google gives us a shortcut to the answer we want by providing it,I just wonder,the more queries they do this for,how long before all other information sites become irrelevant and redundant.
Pippo90
Well, I think that what you guess could never become true. The majority of Google searches happen through keywords, hence wihtout posing a question, since people just want to find a website. Hence, I don't see the possibility of other websites becoming irrilevant because of Google's "omniscience".
truespeed
Pippo90 wrote:
Well, I think that what you guess could never become true. The majority of Google searches happen through keywords, hence wihtout posing a question, since people just want to find a website. Hence, I don't see the possibility of other websites becoming irrilevant because of Google's "omniscience".

It is becoming true,long ago google made the money conversion websites obsolete by converting for you upon query,likewise,size and weight conversions.

Type the name of a football team into google eg: manchester United,no need to go to the official site,as Google lists their latest result,their next fixture,where they play,even their stock price,it gives a short list of their players,if you click on a player,it comes up with the full squad with pictures,all contained in the google search,like I say,not a single site has been visited,you haven't moved off the search page.

Another one,type "band songs" into google. eg: "Beatles songs" And it brings you to a jukebox linked to youtube videos (owned by google) all contained within the search page.

This is the road they are heading down,they are scraping all content for themselves.