FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


What's the USA like when it's government has shut off?





ratanegra
I read earlier today that the US government had shut down economically. I'm not aware of much around this topic, so, assuming that there are some Usians around here. What is it like to live through this situation? Are you having any troubles? Has it affected you? Is the country still running without the government?
deanhills
It always "shuts down economically" during budget time at this time of the year. I guess politicians with vested interests use this kind of "drama" to fight their battles for their budgets. Never know the facts from the fiction with those guys.
truespeed
ratanegra
truespeed wrote:


Image was deleted. Perhaps you could replace it?
Ankhanu
For most Americans, I imagine that, short term, there's little difference in their day to day life. Give it a bit longer and they'll start noticing the lack of government-supplied services.

That said, here in Canada I know some researchers who have needed to access some research/data from the USGS who are having their research impeded by the US government shut down.
ANyone relying on governmental services is likely keenly feeling the hold up, including any businesses with licensing applications in, immigrants hoping to gain official status, etc. Whether or not you're impacted depends greatly upon your immediate circumstances Razz

deanhills wrote:
I guess politicians with vested interests...

That can be shortened to "politicians". There's a little redundancy there Wink
jmraker
It's really hitting us hard, the Democrat Leaders are having parking lots blocked off, erecting blockades around memorials (that are open 24/7) that Republicans helped take down.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/02/seven-stupid-things-the-govt-spent-money-on-during-the-shutdown/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/01/wwii-veterans-memorial_n_4023667.html

Quote:
Credit where due -- I watched Rep Steve King distract a park police officer while vets and staffers knocked down the fences here. #shutdown


The government isn't really shut down, just a lot of unnecessary government people who will get paid doing unnecessary stuff at home while the more necessary government people continue to work I guess.
william
Well, without getting into any political topics, the only direct effect it has had on me is that I needed a couple of documents from NASA and, well...nasa.gov is not available. Thank goodness for archives and cached pages, otherwise I'd actually be in trouble. It also means I should keep a practice of storing documents on my hard drive as much as possible, not just opening them (see, I had opened them just a few days earlier, but didn't save them).
deanhills
william wrote:
Well, without getting into any political topics, the only direct effect it has had on me is that I needed a couple of documents from NASA and, well...nasa.gov is not available. Thank goodness for archives and cached pages, otherwise I'd actually be in trouble. It also means I should keep a practice of storing documents on my hard drive as much as possible, not just opening them (see, I had opened them just a few days earlier, but didn't save them).
Wow, now that sounds really worrying. Those guys are really meaning serious business this time round. Shocked
truespeed
Does this mean the NSA are not spying on everyone at the moment?
BigGeek
truespeed wrote:
Does this mean the NSA are not spying on everyone at the moment?


Naw, I'm sure that's an essential service, you know that "National Security" thing is considered essential!!

I work for a small private company and deal with private businesses, and states and city governments, none of them are shut down, just the federal government and if you don't rely on them you are pretty much unaffected!

Deanhills is right, this is the same old, same old, every year, last year it was the debt ceiling and if they didn't raise it they couldn't pass the new budget and they shut down back then. The aftermath was when they lowered some credit rating on the US.....now that was a laugh!!

It's the US Government Drama, again, I'm old, they've been doing this every year for decades. I gotta ask, can't they come up with a different drama, because shutting down the federal government and the short term effect it has on the stock markets is the same story every year. If I was a conspiracy theory type of person I would say look at stocks and other investments and see who is gaining the most profit off of this and you might get an idea of why and who is behind it!!

But I'll leave the particulars to the conspiracy writers, no doubt they are having a field day with this one
Very Happy
ratanegra
BigGeek wrote:
If I was a conspiracy theory type of person I would say look at stocks and other investments and see who is gaining the most profit off of this and you might get an idea of why and who is behind it!


Well, who is getting the most profit off of this? I want to know! Smile
airh3ad
There is no effect our economy, this is just a few attention to us goverment.
Nick2008
The government shutdown has had a profound impact on federal workers and their families. Hundreds of thousands of them have been furloughed, or sent home without pay.

On the other hand, the majority of Americans are not directly affected by the shutdown. A lot of services that are close to the people such as transportation, education, and healthcare are mostly regulated by the states and therefore have mainly been unaffected.

The Treasury will run out of money to meet America's obligations on or around October 17. Raising the "debt ceiling" is now the main concern because failure to do so could result in default, something unprecedented in American history.

Considering that the debt ceiling has been raised over 70 times since 1962, I'm confident that it will be raised again. The decision will probably come within mere minutes of the deadline...
Insanity
There's not much that visible if you aren't directly related or have some connection with a government worker. It hasn't been that long now, but soon the effects will be felt more by federal workers. They are being held hostage essentially by the government and arne't getting paid. For everyone else, it's not that much different aside from some government services that aren't running.
truespeed
So bearing in mind the country is still functioning,do you really need a government? Smile
coolclay
There is huge effect on the economy!!!!

Example 1: Chincoteague,Virginia

Only real economy is fishing and tourism. Without the national seashore being open restuarants, hotels, stores, gas stations are estimated too loose about $500,000 every day the seashore is shutdown.

Multiply that by every National park or other preserve across our nation and it literally means billions of lost revenue for small and large businesses across our country.

Example 2: Almost half of my friends work in some way or another for the feds. They are all now out of work, and not getting paychecks.

Example 3: I've been unemployed all summer, and I just got a new job working for a private contractor in charge of monitoring how much commercial fisherman catch in Gloucester MA. My training is now postponed indefinitely until the government gets working again. That means I have to continue stretching my savings until my next paycheck, whenever that may be? I am essentially homeless until that point and have almost all my belongings in the back of my truck.

Not to mention those that live on there social security checks, and other federal entitlements.

This is hurting the people that were already hurting before it started. There is no excuse. Politicians are signing there own death warrants on both sides of the sides with this fiasco!
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
This is hurting the people that were already hurting before it started. There is no excuse. Politicians are signing there own death warrants on both sides of the sides with this fiasco!
I'm genuinely sorry to hear how it has affected you coolclay. I wonder however if it has effected politicians to the same degree. If I look at Obama for example looks as though he's a millionaire a few times over. One can't really be a politician without being wealthy, almost as a requirement. Guess this has to be the rotten part of capitalism. Politicians get to plan this, and the victims have it happening to them without warning.
coolclay
Quote:
Politicians get to plan this, and the victims have it happening to them without warning.

Exactly right, they sit there and play this stupid game like it's chess and it's US VS. THEM, when we the people are the pawns in the game.

Sometimes I think this polarization is a new phenomenon but it's not really. The separation of powers idea was wonderful idea in a perfect world, and maybe it worked well for sometime. But it only works when everyone has the nations best interests in mind. Right now both sides have simply imbedded themselves so deep into their selfish ideological foxholes that the end goal of a better country has been completely lost to them.

The US has been the top dog for awhile now, but I highly doubt this will stay for long at this rate anyway.
standready
coolclay wrote:
The US has been the top dog for awhile now, but I highly doubt this will stay for long at this rate anyway.

China has taken over the 'top dog' position. US owes China trillions. US borrows from China then gives it back to them in various aide packages.
US is so stupid: Give aide to Pakistan to help with terrorism. They give Bi Laden is a place to hid then scream when the US discovers and comes to get him. US still giving aide to idiots. No wonder, US is in debt.
deanhills
standready wrote:
coolclay wrote:
The US has been the top dog for awhile now, but I highly doubt this will stay for long at this rate anyway.

China has taken over the 'top dog' position. US owes China trillions. US borrows from China then gives it back to them in various aide packages.
US is so stupid: Give aide to Pakistan to help with terrorism. They give Bi Laden is a place to hid then scream when the US discovers and comes to get him. US still giving aide to idiots. No wonder, US is in debt.
For me the REAL people in power in the US, the huge business tycoons, don't really care about the US for the US. At the moment I'm dead certain it suits them to have the US exactly in the position it finds itself. So they can make huge deals as cheaply as possible abroad.
standready
deanhills wrote:
For me the REAL people in power in the US, the huge business tycoons, don't really care about the US for the US. At the moment I'm dead certain it suits them to have the US exactly in the position it finds itself. So they can make huge deals as cheaply as possible abroad.

You got that right, Dean. Their money buys politicians.
I remember my freshman English instructor talking about his class rules: "This is a democratic classroom, You vote and I decide!" Little did I know at my young age how his rules actually applied to the US government. Brick wall
deanhills
standready wrote:
I remember my freshman English instructor talking about his class rules: "This is a democratic classroom, You vote and I decide!" Little did I know at my young age how his rules actually applied to the US government. Brick wall

Very Happy That's a really WISE teacher. So true!
RoylanM
standready wrote:
coolclay wrote:
The US has been the top dog for awhile now, but I highly doubt this will stay for long at this rate anyway.

China has taken over the 'top dog' position. US owes China trillions. US borrows from China then gives it back to them in various aide packages.
US is so stupid: Give aide to Pakistan to help with terrorism. They give Bi Laden is a place to hid then scream when the US discovers and comes to get him. US still giving aide to idiots. No wonder, US is in debt.


China is no top dog they are a Nazi worshiping (swear) dictator (no offense) country in all truth. A government shut down won't affect the US that much because things like this only last a little while but if it goes into when we have to elect presidents then we have the danger of having 2 Republicans 'run' our country and that is the biggest threat to the US these days (Mit Romney for example) back in the days Republicans were not money hungry douchebags. The the fellow who made the statement about 'This is a democratic class, You vote I decide' that's kinda how things go with both parties for that teacher was politically incorrect. US will always be 'king of the mountain' there is no other country that has the power to make it otherwise, when we dropped those bombs on Japan, that was a little taste of what we could do, we had one man in the Vietnam War bring in thousands of prisoners by himself and we even had a guy in one other war take out a whole front line in another. The US's power has no limit, we can take North America whole if we had the minds to. POWER TO THE NAZI KILLERS,THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
truespeed
RoylanM wrote:

China is no top dog they are a Nazi worshiping (swear) dictator (no offense) country in all truth. A government shut down won't affect the US that much because things like this only last a little while but if it goes into when we have to elect presidents then we have the danger of having 2 Republicans 'run' our country and that is the biggest threat to the US these days (Mit Romney for example) back in the days Republicans were not money hungry douchebags. The the fellow who made the statement about 'This is a democratic class, You vote I decide' that's kinda how things go with both parties for that teacher was politically incorrect. US will always be 'king of the mountain' there is no other country that has the power to make it otherwise, when we dropped those bombs on Japan, that was a little taste of what we could do, we had one man in the Vietnam War bring in thousands of prisoners by himself and we even had a guy in one other war take out a whole front line in another. The US's power has no limit, we can take North America whole if we had the minds to. POWER TO THE NAZI KILLERS,THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA


All that is missing from that post is the star spangled banner playing in the background.

Economically speaking the USA had it all to themselves in the 20th century,that won't be the case this century,they will soon be overtaken by China,and India at some point,also Russia when they get their shit together will rival the USA economically. So you better get used to the USA not being top dog,because their top dog position won't last forever,you only need to go back 200 years when Great Britain owned and ruled half the world for an example of a country whose leaders and people thought it would last forever.
Afaceinthematrix
I remember this happening last year with the "fiscal cliff." That didn't really affect me much because I wasn't employed by the U.S. government and was working in a private sector field that was relatively unaffected by the economy.

I suppose that it was a little worse this year because of many services being shut down. Websites and agencies across the board were shut down. In fact, I'm a little interested to know if my father - who depends on USGS - was affected by the government shutdown. I'll have to ask him next time I talk to him.

Here in Africa I barely get news and so I didn't hear anything about it really until now (23 October). I heard about it in passing when it was happening from some coworkers but this is the first time that I've had real access to news for quite a while...
standready
truespeed wrote:

All that is missing from that post is the star spangled banner playing in the background.

Too funny, truespeed.
handfleisch
ratanegra wrote:
BigGeek wrote:
If I was a conspiracy theory type of person I would say look at stocks and other investments and see who is gaining the most profit off of this and you might get an idea of why and who is behind it!


Well, who is getting the most profit off of this? I want to know! :)


RWNJ Ted Cruz of the Republican Party was the main force behind the shutdown, and his backers are money managers who could have used the shutdown to make money on global money markets. His wife is a big boss at Goldman Sachs and could have done the same thing. See http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/09/30/1242281/-Who-profits-from-shutdown-panic
handfleisch
jmraker wrote:
It's really hitting us hard, the Democrat Leaders are having parking lots blocked off, erecting blockades around memorials (that are open 24/7) that Republicans helped take down.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/02/seven-stupid-things-the-govt-spent-money-on-during-the-shutdown/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/01/wwii-veterans-memorial_n_4023667.html

Quote:
Credit where due -- I watched Rep Steve King distract a park police officer while vets and staffers knocked down the fences here. #shutdown


The government isn't really shut down, just a lot of unnecessary government people who will get paid doing unnecessary stuff at home while the more necessary government people continue to work I guess.


The National Parks were shut down. The memorials have park rangers who make sure no one vandalizes the memorials. Because of the shutdown, there were no rangers and so they had to close the memorials the best way they could.

If the national park service had not barricaded the memorials and left them open without any rangers, RWers would have accused them of negligence. FOX would have found a microscopic item of graffiti and said the memorials were being desecrated. And since it was the GOP that shut down the government, the whole thing was a circus act of RWBS.
Josh255
jmraker wrote:
It's really hitting us hard, the Democrat Leaders are having parking lots blocked off, erecting blockades around memorials (that are open 24/7) that Republicans helped take down.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/02/seven-stupid-things-the-govt-spent-money-on-during-the-shutdown/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/01/wwii-veterans-memorial_n_4023667.html

Quote:
Credit where due -- I watched Rep Steve King distract a park police officer while vets and staffers knocked down the fences here. #shutdown


The government isn't really shut down, just a lot of unnecessary government people who will get paid doing unnecessary stuff at home while the more necessary government people continue to work I guess.


That first link was absolute garbage on so many levels. Also one who blindly believes that either Republicans are the saviors and Democrats are the villains or the other way around is truly blind to what is going on.

Shutting down the websites was actually necessary considering how often website get hacked. A simple html page is much harder to vandalize than a website running a complex database serving dynamic content.

Also many of the "unnecessary government people" have very important jobs. During the shutdown many investors were blind without important statistics that the govt compiled.

Bit of advice when judging the credibility of a website. If you notice that more space is used for ads than content, odds are it's purpose is to solely generate ad clicks and not provide credible information.
deanhills
Josh255 wrote:


Bit of advice when judging the credibility of a website. If you notice that more space is used for ads than content, odds are it's purpose is to solely generate ad clicks and not provide credible information.
Good point. A good example is during all those voting sessions to vote against censorship of the Internet. Some of those sites were purely for getting those clicks, and of course cashing in very handsomely. I think some people are still doing those censorship type vote against Websites. I wonder exactly how bona fide they really are.
Related topics
Windows Tips&tricks!
Micro$oft vs. GM
What do you think about Mac OS X?
Power Shut Off After Woman Owes a Penny
Internet in China.
May 2008 New ID Cards that you will be required to carry..
India's booming economy
should we care about antartic ice melting?
What is the usefulness of religion?
GM's OnStar: Pulling the plug on Big Brother.
Environmental Protection: My Ideal Solution
Arguments From Emotion
Finally the President Barack Obama takes action in guns
Who to blame for US Government shut down
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.